Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

York_M_Chan posted:

I started Six Feet Under again from the beginning. I gave up during season 3 when it first aired and now I remember why I gave up. It is not that it is bad, far from, and I can handle depressing but the energy level just plummets and low-energy and depressing is like trudging through mud. I made it to season 4 now and plan to keep going.

Oh, wow. Let us know when you watch _that_ episode.

You'll know it when you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TryAgainBragg posted:

Just finished binging Hap and Leonard and really enjoyed it, its got the same good ol' country vibe that Justified had and the two leads play off each other well. 6 episodes also kept the plot tight and left me itching for more

Season 2's just started. Favourite show that no-one talks about.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The Missing - I dig the UK crime/mystery shows, and I read on reddit it was good, but really haven't heard much talk of it at all.

Heard good things, but I've not seen it. It's a seasonal anthology show, which I gather pissed off some people a bit when season 2 rolled around. Once people settled in though, I think the consensus was that the second season was just as good, though quite different.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Black Sails - enjoyed s1 a really long time ago, dunno why I quit

I suspect it's because Season 1 doesn't actually end, it just stops. The first two seasons are really one larger season in terms of construction, and if you think of it like that, the show's actually pretty solid. I've really been enjoying the current, final season, which has had a sense of energy and immediacy that others have always lacked a bit in. I think some of the female characters can be a bit divisive, but I've always liked them. Really likes its monologues though.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Into The Badlands

Remains to be seen if this will improve, though I hold out hope. Great visuals and stunt work, brilliant fight choreography and a couple of really cool, iconic feeling performances let down by an awful lot of weird tat and a very short opening season that spends so much time justifying its setting with a lot of world building that it doesn't end up throwing out much in the way of good, immediate ideas. That, and it's a classic case of AMC not giving a show that needs a bigger budget enough of a budget to pull off the stuff it'd love to do as often as it would like. Still, there's at least two really good fights every episode, and some lush visuals. Nick Frost is joining the show this year as Pigsy (it's a Journey to the West adaptation), so that should be fun.

Camp, in a lovely tatty mid-century way. I think there's a rudimentary quality to the characterisations that harms the show, a quality that a lot of Carlton Cuse shows share, and there's a tendency to spool out earlier seasons on irrelevant drama because what the show's actually about needs more time to develop. The two leads are great, and it's a fairly interesting / rare case of a show raising its standards to meet the quality and tone of its central performances, rather than the other way around. When the writing catches up to the acting it's a great show, until then it's perfectly serviceable (barring some early stuff).

Brilliant.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

]American Crime Story, the one about OJ. I heard it was good too. Does it have anything to do with American Crime?

It's campier than American Crime, and I didn't like it nearly as much -- but a lot of goons would either think the other way around, or not even know what American Crime was. It's actually pretty decent though, despite what I just said, but it's so much more interested in the media and Hollywood culture. It's very much about the story, rather than the crime, if you catch my drift.

Additionally, going off your tastes, I'd suggest checking out Manhattan, Underground, Outsiders, (The WGM Trinity of good shows no-one talks about), The Americans, and maybe Legion. They all seem like they'd be worth a shot at least.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

knees of putty posted:

Thanks to recommendations in this thread I've just gone through The Expanse S1. Great stuff, though how on earth did Steven Strait persuade them he could act? He's like Roger Moore, but without the charm. Preceded this with The OA (well yeah, didn't end great but still enjoyable) and now on to the Colony. It seems derivative but Josh Holloway is pretty charismatic so I think he might be able to carry it. And Carl Weathers! Does it have legs until the end of the season?

Yes. And no. The show is tortuously slow, and (I think) deliberately frustrating. It's loving full of shaggy dog stories. I think it'd work better if the characters it ultimately treats as important made more interesting choices and were thoroughly shaded (rather than relying on that sort of Spielberg iconic family imagery for emotional resonance). I don't think it's smart enough to be stimulating, and I don't think it's sentimental enough for it to be very emotional. (But it's also not, like, stupid and unlikable, as a show.)

What I'm trying to say is that I like it in spite of itself, and it's honestly trying to do something different. But I don't think, ultimately, it's different enough?

Cool action scenes though. Sometimes.

Yeet posted:

I just binged through six episodes of Into the Badlands this show is pretty sick. That dude with the two swords goes gently caress wild and kills like 60 people in 3 episodes, its awesome.

Love the show, particularly given what it's become. Second season has been much much better. It looks loving lovely. I love the colour coded baronies, and Eleanor Matusra's look loving rocks when she's introduced in the second season. The Widow too. (Plus, Nick Frost!!!)

Astrofig posted:

I'm about halfway through Thirteen Reasons Why, and somehow they managed to make it even more depressing than the book. Well-done.

I can't imagine binging this show. I've watched three episodes so far, all fairly spaced apart. It's good (if somehow both too mawkish and pithily ironic), but I think I'd wither away watching it all at once.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 12, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lycus posted:

I got bored with the The Path, never watched the S1 finale. I normally love cult poo poo but got increasingly turned off the less this cult seemed to have much of a dark underbelly and was really just a hippie commune with a bunch of self help mumbo jumbo.

I've seen both seasons, so if you're interested in knowing. Generally speaking: There is some horrible stuff hidden away behind the scenes, there's murder, some madness, and at least one incident of paedophilia committed and subsequently covered up by those in charge, but the entire thing is surprisingly legit. Like, even more than just legit, in the first season finale they start suggesting that Meyerism might actually be true, complete with some low-key magical shenanigans.

But if you think that's somehow reason enough to come back, be warned: the writers clearly thought the first season was far too fast paced, and decided to use the second season to remedy that problem.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

The Walking Dead isn't prestige TV, what the gently caress?

It totally is if you're talking about prestige television as a genre -- like all genres, it's slippery to define, but I think it largely means "is on cable, or looks like it could be" -- rather than to mean "really really good" or "beloved by critics".

So, by this logic, the new Twin Peaks, Homeland, Nurse Jackie and Tyrant all count as "prestige television" instead of just, say, just Homeland Season 1.

(Honestly, the definition is both truer to how the term tends to used, in my experience at least, and it's way, way easier to define and apply.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 5, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

Orphan Black is fantastic, mostly because of Tatiana's performances.

Unpopular opinion: she's amazing at nearly every challenge the show throws at her, but she's about as convincing as hard-case street punk Sarah as you'd expect someone named Tatiana to be. She's never bad in the role, and often good, but I don't think the performance is as truthfully observed as others on the show.

(Partly this comes down the writing's inability to work out how to swear properly, but there you go.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I think OB's first season was really, really good. I think the second season completely loses track of some of the characterisation, which blows: the cast basically forget that Helena murdered the poo poo out of two different sympathetic characters in the first season, it's very odd.. Third season pulls it back together by the end, and the fourth was great.

Every season has a number of great episodes though, balanced out by a couple of annoying plate spinning plots. If I have to watch that one clone nearly die from her mega!cancer, before finding another temporary cure again, I'm going to start skipping those scenes indiscriminately.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

Forgot Feed the Beast was even a thing, did they drop it or has it just not come back around on the schedule yet this year?

It was cancelled. : (

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Manhunt Unabomber is really good, y'all.

I think Sam Worthington just needs to stick to TV. He was excellent in Love My Way (though, then again, everyone was).

Manhunt's certainly worth the watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lycus posted:

People were acting randomly crazy after a couple days.

Totally, but in the show's defence (not that it really deserves it) would you want to watch a version of The Mist where this doesn't happen? Neither version is exactly high art, the thrill comes from watching people make a series of steadily escalating decisions that lead them to tearing chunks out of each other for basically stupid reasons.

By comparison, in the movie it takes them maybe two days to get to human sacrifice.Though, of course, it was much, much better than the series.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That reindeer piss thing seemed really dumb.

It's a real thing though?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 9, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senerio posted:

It's wonderful, and this is required watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL18gcH6f3w

Is this from a specific episode? 'cause wow, I don't remember that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Unzip and Attack posted:

I agree with this 100%. I actually groaned out loud when Albans stole the money. The kidnapping plot line could be interesting but you're right- nothing at all was resolved this season, which took a great season of TV and made it mediocre for me.

Hmm, I don't think the ending is as open as you're suggesting.

Given that the show was renewed they could go multiple directions with it, but if the show had ended then and there it would have ended with some finality. John would have killed Albans there and then. It's why the episode (and also the season) is bookended with the Steven Tchu plotline. The season's ending is at worse ambiguous, not unresolved.

But, yeah, she's dead.

sassassin posted:

He plays things too fast and loose. No respect for procedure.

Finished watching season 2 which feels like it exists simply to set up background for season 3. Nothing Phil and Liz do matters, and they spend all their time either panicking about a threat that doesn't exist, or chasing down a guy who hadn't done anything until they started bothering him.

All the Residentura stuff (Nina, stealth/Echo) is still up in the air unresolved.

The whole season could have been pared down to 2 or 3 eps without anything of value being lost.

If you thought the second season was slow and purposeless, have fun with Season 5.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Konstantin posted:

I liked most of season 1 of The Magicians, but Julia's rape was a horrible plot point. There was no reason for the writers to put that in there except as an edgy plot twist, having the god slaughter everyone else would have been enough. Please tell me that she isn't pregnant in Season 2.

It's legacy material from the book series they're adapting. If anything, they probably handle it better than the books do.

(And, if the first episode of the third season is anything to go by, the ramifications are still going. i.e. it's not a disposable single season plotline, thank god.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ol Standard Retard posted:

I've watched all of the first season of Fortitude since yesterday and it straight owns. I dunno I guess I'm kinda late to this party but once I got past being unable to distinguish between seven different scruffy white behatted men (had the same problem with game of thrones even though I'd read all the books) it is great. The weird social dynamics, lack of agency and cloak of contingency throughout the central plot line is really well done. the sort of... perversion of stereotypes and progressive acceptance of what would be considered taboo, with several unreliable narrators, also rules. It's just grand. And of course the landscape and acting is real good too.

Hey, awesome.

I'd be interested to hear what you make of the second season -- I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I loved how intense it became.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sassassin posted:

First season starts strong and finishes weak.

Second season starts weak and finishes holy poo poo yesss.

But the second half of the first season has the wasps!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

About to start Mad Men. Anything I should know?

It's very very good, and is secretly a lot, lot funnier than its reputation. Probably because it takes a while to get there. But when it does get there -- Season 4 is when I noticed it, but it could very well have been earlier -- the show becomes this totally amazing, completely unpredictable melange of stuff that is both utterly strange but also very very grounded. You never really know what you're going to get from one episode to the next, but despite that the quality never lets up and it's an amazing ride through to the end.

I think it's pretty good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hexel posted:

i loved everything about britannia and i hope they make a season 2

You're in luck, it just got renewed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sloth Life posted:

Watching Being Human via Netflix recommendations. Its fun but the werewolf is incredibly shrill. Does he get better? ,(I know it's an old show, so sad I missed the original transmission as it is right up my alley)

Uh, British or American?

(British he does.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I'm 3 episodes in. Someone mentioned it here and I like sci-fi so I gave it a try. I loved Terry Gilliam's movie. This isn't it.

Hope it gets better

Yeah, I could never really get into it. I think the show gets better in the second season when it moves away from the virus plot (which was never particularly compelling or essential to the film; I reckon that Gilliam's much more interested in madness and the mouldering failings of bureaucracy than in any of the film's disaster movie beats) and moves towards being a post apocalyptic survival narrative with mystical elements. Solid but not spectacular, which is a disappointing comedown after the original film.

There's a fourth -- and final -- season airing this year, but even if it continues to show's solidity I don't think that it'll ever pull off anything as magnificent as Madeline Stowe's arc from the original film.

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I don't think I've seen Humans (UK) mentioned ITT. Check it out!

Humans owns. I don't know if it's particularly popular around here -- I remember maybe two posters put it in their top ten lists two years ago, so I suspect not -- but I love it a lot. I've noticed that there's a strong subgenre of British fantasy morality plays, that marry fantasy archetypes with kitchen sink drama narratives, and I've loved most of them. Being Human and In The Flesh being the two other major ones that spring to mind.

Recent Sci-fi / Action shows I liked: Defiance, Agents of SHIELD, Continuum, Van Helsing and Killjoys -- though most people would agree that a lot of these shows all have starts that don't demonstrate their potential. The Expanse is pretty popular around here, and though I'm not convinced I think it's got potential. And I absolutely adored Braindead, but that was cancelled after one (quite satisfying) season.

Oh, and Counterpart's pretty great as well. Westworld's super popular (though I think it's a bit crap) but I don't doubt you've already seen it. Into The Badlands is basically a post-apocalyptic fantasy retelling of Journey To The West, and I kind of adore that it even exists. Fights are gold. Preacher's first season was amazing, and the second had a slow middle (budget! raar!) but it's got great bookends and a kind of amazing middle. Though at this point I'm moving rapidly away from scifi and towards contemporary fantasy. Oh, and Fortitude's a wild ride, and changes genre twice across its run.

STAC Goat posted:

12 Monkeys is just about the only time travel and hard sci-fi show in recent memory that I actually enjoyed.

Wait, what?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 21, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

If I misused it, my bad. Sci-Fi isn't my groove so it wouldn't be surprising to find out I misunderstood the lingo or was elevating some random thing someone said to a whole genre idea.

Now you've got me doubting my definition, haha. But I always heard that "hard" scifi was science fiction that valued realism. So The Expanse would definitely count as being "hard", but so would something a bit wackier, like "Planetes". Whereas BSG would definitely not pass for "hard" despite being quite, as you say, heavy. And something like Farscape or 12 Monekys would be right out.

(Also, I reckon that all a certain vocal group of sci-fi fans want are spaceships and the complete absence of camp. Which is silly, because camp rules.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 21, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Flight Bisque posted:

I enjoy the changes from the source material in Preacher, and also enjoy the things they haven't changed. Especially the REDEMPTION ARC FOR LITERAL HITLER seems like the kind of thing that should get heat from the usual suspects, but
I expected Hitler to die from being hit by the car, because that's the sort of thing that would make sense, but him also not dying ALSO makes sense in the universe of the show.

They're dropped Hitler as a regular in the third season! So loving bummed.

I hope they turn him into one of those weird running background jokes that the first season had, like the Mascots. (Not sure if they continued doing them in the second season, which is a shame.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tsyni posted:

I've watched the first season of The Magicians, and I really want to like it, but some parts are just so shallow. Is it worth sticking it out for the next couple seasons?

Lots of people here don't like the first season -- which I don't agree with, but eh, whatever -- but they think the later seasons are a lot better. I also like the later seasons, fwiw.

But I guess I can't answer your question properly without asking my own; what do you mean when you say shallow? And which parts?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 7, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

For what it's worth, I wasn't as tremendously impressed by Killing Eve as some. It does get quite good though, but a) I wasn't feeling it from the offset, and b) I never felt the love as massively as others did.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I was hooked before the first episode was over, but I'd say give it one more before completely walking away. The second episode has a big ending.

Are you sure you mean the second episode -- I think the third has the more notable ending.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vincent posted:

Finished the first season of Riverdale: Dark Archie: Archie Fucks. Surprisingly good and I think I'm gonna start season 2 tomorrow or in a couple of days.

Have fun with that one.

It's one of those seasons of TV where even though what you're watching is absolutely crazy, you get the sense that the writer's room was even crazier.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Channel Zero is an excellent horror show. I really like Fortitude too. And The Exorcist tv series had its moments.

Carnivale's more of a multi-genre thing, but when it goes scary it gets pretty scary. The Babylon episode's been mentioned, and it's pretty freaky, but there's some stuff in the second season with the mask guy which is just as terrifying.

Hannibal and Ash vs Evil Dead have a few chill moments, but they're hybrid genre shows. The former's more a thriller and the latter's a comedy.

As for slashers, the second season of Slasher is probably the best of them, (it's an anthology series so you should just watch that, the first season's not great) and some goons really liked Harper's Island by the end of it.

Speaking of horror, has anyone seen Lore, on Amazon? Any good or nah?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I've been meaning to check out Outcast.

What even happened with that second season. Cinemax aired it years after the first, and a year after it had already aired overseas. Unbelievable. It's like they were suddenly Australia.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Klaaz posted:

I really like Madmen but wow season 6 is a messy pile of crap. Here's hoping the final season will be a lot better.

Season 6 has The Crash. The Crash is perfect.

And, if anything, the show gets looser and looser as it goes on. Funnier too. I assume that's by design.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lycus posted:

Caught up with the 100 and there was sure a lot of near-death this season. Are they loathe to kill off characters as much as they used to?

I absolutely think the season was undermined by this, and badly. It's not just the thing you mentioned, it's like they're scared to commit to anything -- and while I get them being gunshy after how their third season was received, it's not a good look on their show about consequences.

The whole thing with the kid was another case of weaksauce ambivalence.

No way am I happy with where they ended the Octavia plotline. (With her breathing.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lycus posted:

I was momentarily blown away when I thought Bellamy had assassinated Octavia, but they quickly took it back.

Some of the poo poo she pulled was horrific. She absolutely had that coming, and that was before she started using scorched earth tactics on her own people.

I thought that moment towards the end where Octavia had a "heroic last stand" was incredibly misjudged, on multiple levels. Complete misread of their audience, and just generally a complete wtf.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah, it aired around this time last year IIRC. It was quite good, but like Quarry (same people behind it IIRC) it was doomed to a single season. loving shame.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

franchise1 posted:

They do kind of explain what happened and where the people went, although not why it happened.

Yeah, but that information doesn't come from a particularly trustworthy source, and I think the show actually providing an explanation would undermine a lot of what it was going for in the first place.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 29, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Have you seen The Fall? It has Agent Skully as the protagonist.

Unfortunately, her enemy is boredom and -- spoiler warning -- she ultimately loses that battle.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

I mean, yes, but they also hate cops and government surveillance and sometimes that's enough to balance the scales for me.

Uh, do they? I feel like half the cast are heroic cops, and the show comes down on the side of the police being a good system infiltrated by bad people.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Now I'm deciding between s2 of Mr Mercedes which I have a feeling I might not like because of how I'm imagining the supernatural elements playing out I don't really like psychological thriller type stuff and I'm imagining it being something sort of like that or 12 Monkeys which I keep hearing really good things about.

I don't think you'll need to worry about Mr. Mercedes. Its characters only change their tactics, not their genre.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Huh, Nosedive's one of my favourites. It's clever, timely, and I really related to the emotional journey the lead character went on.

I think the ending's charming, and the moment Bryce Dallas' voice drops about an octave, mid wedding speech, to threaten a stuffed toy is an insanely good line reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soUHXEV_XvE

That scene's loving amazing tbh.

Mu Zeta posted:

Nosedive sucks though because it stretches the premise way too long. It would be so much better if it was a 15 minute short film.

You think you could tell a story about the difficulties involved in female friendships (and in negotiating female rage), the toxic effects of codependent relationships, the interaction between social cliques and class stratification, the damage inherent to aspirational thinking, and the way social media has driven a rise in self-monitoring and curation -- while also wedding it to a cross country roadtrip that escalates through a sequence of comic incidents before pivoting to a dramatic conclusion -- in fifteen minutes?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 1, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

Bah, just found out People Of Earth got cancelled even though season 3 was already written.

I suspect it's a Wyatt Cenac availability thing -- the show was written with the expectation that he'd be available, and when he couldn't be the network didn't want to fund reopening the writer's room to rewrite the season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wormil posted:

Trying to get into Rake but the main character is kinda boring. About 8 eps in.

US or AU? I suspect you're watching the US version, i.e. the wrong one.

The suicide bomber episode is something else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

My interpretation is that the stag is the representative of hunting and game. Hannibal is like the alpha predator the way he treats his human victims. He has no problems butchering and eating his victims and he treats them like little more than meat. From what I've seen the stag is always portrayed in media as something majestic and powerful. In the show Vikings a guy sees a stag on the battlefield and sees it as a sign that they are going to win the battle and are blessed by God. The stag is Harry Potter's spirit animal.

I also think Will Graham is hosed in the head because of how empathetic he can be with killers. He's basically one step away from being a killer himself. I have to think that him seeing the stag imagery is connected to his psyche and how he wants to view himself as an alpha hunter as well. His love of dogs and how he has a bunch of them plays into that probably. He's the head of the pack, etc.

I don't recall it being explicitly explained in the show.

I think this is basically it. Will is the deer, the king of the forrest, but his connection to the show's various murderers -- and his metaphorical consumption/digestion of them -- have turned his Stag into a Wendigo, a maneater.

You can see the escalation of some of the other elements -- the strength of the shows various killers largely correlate with their position within the foodchain. The most disposable villains exist as inert elements (eggs, mushrooms, roadkill), arc killers turn up as staple foods (dos, pigs, eels) and a handful of mythological creatures are connected with significant figures (a wendigo, a dragon, and an artificial werewolf.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched Dead To Me, which is a short one off starring Christina Applegate that is pretty enjoyable.

Dead To Me is definitely getting renewed. It's not a miniseries haha.