Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I want someone to turn the 14 original Frank Baum Oz books into a high budget 10 episode per season show. I needs me some fun fantasy/magic/powers/escapism that is well done.

Oh, before I forget. You could end up hating it, but I was a fan. Tarsem Singh's Emerald City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

I found the magicians when they were on season 4 I really enjoyed that poo poo and then burned out about halfway through season 4. Started watching again last night and it reminded me how fun it is, although I still remember liking first t3 seasons more, I should go back and refresh myself eventually.

Season 4's weaker, and I got the sense watching it that their original plans for the season got derailed partway through (it drops a lot of arcs).

Seasom 5 is very good though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

The actor deciding he was leaving at the end of S4 forced them to change a few things.

Yeah, I gotchu. I was trying to talk around the issue without using spoiler bars.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RYYSZLA posted:

I just started watching Apple's "Servant" today

As of the end of Season 2, it's pretty clear what's going on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Slamhound posted:

Luther sucked. That scene where he was circling the headset/scanner photo was BLACK SUV level terrible.

Show's quite bad, but had some good performances and I think it's coasted since the first season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Reading some of the feedback on Luther here moved it down my list a bit, and we decided to check out Search Party. We're only two eps in but it seems really promising. Also started watching Made For Love, which is a new sci fi show by one of the writers/producers of Search Party. It's very Black Mirror-ish in its premise but pretty funny in parts too. It shows a lot of promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvWgNSLIULw

Made For Love is pretty good. It's got Avenue 5's sense of satirical absurdity, and the performances are great.

That said, it's one of those shows that you're not going to know if it's good or not until they get a decent way into the second season, and are forced to move past just explaining the premise / adapting the source material.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

Binge watching Kingdom on Netflix. Almost done with Season 2. It's about as bleak and depressing as Bloodline.

Octy posted:

Same, but enjoying every moment. It's even better if you watch it dubbed in English. 16th century Korea was a weird place.

You're watching different shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

I started binging The Magicians based on comments in this thread.

I'm five episodes in, and I see a lot of potential, but... do they ever figure out the pacing? It sometimes feels like they're trying to push the plot along way too fast -- things are happening before I'm given time to learn or care about most of the characters.

The pacing chills, because the show quickly proves who's sticking around by the fact they've been in more than three episodes and they've not been murdered, and you're quickly able to work out what's relevant and what's not.

Also the budget vanishes and everyone plays space hopscotch for an episode (yes this happens).

But it's fun! Stick with it!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GORDON posted:

Brendan Fraser is really fun in this, it's great to have him back in something. Does anyone know if he's in the suit and/or doing mocap, personally? And, .... the gently caress?

It's another dude in a suit. Same thing they do with Larry.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DorianGravy posted:

You think so? I thought it got kind of bad after season 2 and I didn't make it to the end of season 3. The characters seemed to get less realistic and more outlandish, which I didn't like. Does it get better again?

That trend does not decline, no.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mrenda posted:

I've watched the first season and a half three or four times now, and never got passed about two thirds of the way through Season 2. I think a lot of that is because it loses it's humour and becomes very serious. Watching the first episode with my parents after I watched an episode midway through season 2 just shows how loving funny the opening episode is, and it doesn't keep that up (although I don't know about Season 3.)

That's a deliberate function of what the second season's doing; the second season finale is genuinely one of the most joyous hours of television ever created.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

I had to stop Made for Love after three episodes. If someone can tell me it's worth going back to, I might give it a shot but it feels like everything it's trying to say has already been said better in other media. Hell, the star, Cristin Milioti's, already done it better herself in Black Mirror!

It just feels like an unlikable waste of time, even at only 4 hours for the whole season. 90 minutes felt like enough.

I liked it. I thought the writing was really strong, particularly the characterisation. The way the Hub gets weirder and weirder was a particular highlight.

TBH I thought it was too short.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Travelers was so good, I should rewatch it. And Continuum. And Twelve Monkeys.

Such a good show. I'm rewatching it now, and it's even better knowing how the whole thing ends and what the show actually thinks about the characters.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
super delated double post FROM THE FUTUREEE

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Finished Man in the high castle last week and, while it had its moments , felt very underwhelmed by it in comparison.

Season 4? Yeah, that was such a let down after how good the prior two seasons were.

High Castle is actually a big reason why I had so much difficulty liking the back half of For All Mankind season 2. A lot of it is good, but it's so so similar to High Castle's second season finale that it can't help but come across as inferior.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Keeping Faith. Irish drama.

WELSH GOONS RISE UP

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

devmd01 posted:

Started going through Travelers, I’m enjoying it so far. Some of the body horror/possession bits are pretty great, especially the one where the team leader realizes after shooting his team that he himself is about to be possessed, so he attempts to turn his gun on himself before that happens.

I loved this aspect of the show, and when the show goes there it's great. There's an episode in the show's second season which plays this out to the n-th degree, and it's genuinely excellent.

It's a little too in love with its cast, which can make the show a little disturbing at times. It's also too worried about its audience liking its characters which, ironically, leads them to not pushing as far with the show's concepts as it really should have. The result is frustrating; for all that the show is blatantly an attempt by the Netflix algorithm to recapture the success of Continuum, it's nowhere near as brave as that series managed to be. So it's a comfortable show to turn your brain off to, for the most part, but the reminders that the main characters have a psychotic disregard for human life remains. A scrupulously justified disregard, but it's still there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

holy poo poo continuum owned lmao. I literally just finished it, very good

gently caress yeah. I just finished watching it again the other day. It's really emotional, but it never buys into its character's bullshit. And the endings to most of the cast are so so good.

Carlos was the real hero IMO.

Also: something no one ever talks about : the fights are pretty good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Carlos puts up with so much poo poo over the course of the show. Literally every single friend he has betrays him, and at the end of the series they're basically all gone.

Oh, other thought that occurred to me: Kiera is starting to get affected by the mental collapse that time travellers experience, right? And that's why she becomes so obsessive and has that weird dream at the start of season 4? I was always sad that they didn't do more with that plot line, and it'd be a nice nod to it if that was the case.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Qmass posted:

watching magicians because of all the chat and now im 4 episodes in and they are doing the lol it was all a dream and you are in a mental asylum thing and I want to launch this poo poo-burger into the sun

Oh that's the one with the song! That's the first hint I had that the show would be good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hizawk posted:

To save time, you can pretty much just read the plot synopsis from season 1 and jump straight into 2...

Or you can slow boat your way to some good TV.

The end of season 1 is worth watching properly, and features the intro of a lot of important characters and settings.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The specials were excellent, and season 2 is shaping up to be pretty drat good.

It's more Community than It's Always Sunny though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

started travelers, a few EPs in and the abusive husband character is already pissing me off

Have fun with that!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

does it really go on for the entire run

Almost all of it. And it never gets better haha. Sorry man.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bowmore posted:

Supernatural is very close to my heart

Too close for the surgeons to operate??? :3

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tea Bone posted:

Are there any recent-ish horror series anyone can recommend? I've done Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, American Horror Story, Lovecraft Country, Supernatural. I know "Them" is on prime but I noticed a goon a few pages back saying it was a less good Lovecraft country so might give it a miss for the time being. Looking for stuff more on the serious side of the scale rather than campy and over the top a la American Horror Story.

Channel Zero. What you want is Channel Zero.

There are also selected episodes of Inside No 9 (the season finales are always horror, start with them), Castle Rock (not always very scary, but very well written) and Hannibal.

But yeah, Channel Zero is the show you want.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ha! I bet people are gonna say the same thing about The Flash in a few years.

Swings and roundabouts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CODChimera posted:

Cult is one of the best seasons and one of the very few with a decent ending

Yeah, Cult and Roanoke both have pretty decent endings.

The show's become better over the years, I won't lie. But I drifted a little in the most recent season, Camp. The spark just wasn't there. Same with The Politician, and Ratched, and a lot of his recent work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Just burned through Raised by Wolves, really good, crazy ending, want more.

I need other stuff to watch, serialized drama highly preferred and probably something from the last few years because I feel like I've already watched everything else.

Creamerie.

For All Mankind.

The Nevers.

Why Women Kill.

The Godfather Of Harlem.

And I've been secretly enjoying Kung Fu a lot but ssshh don't tell anyone or they'll all laugh at me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

With that list I'd also recommend

12 Monkeys(I hear he'd have the time of his life) and of course Continuum and Travelers as well
The Expanse
Warrior
The Knick

This and
Banshee
Black Sails
For All Mankind
Maybe even Stargate.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Glad to see people get into Continuum, it's an underappreciated show with some very strong characters.

Next underappreciated 10's show: Black Sails.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 11, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Remy Marathe posted:

Anyone who doesn't get enough Momoa after watching Dark Sails should check out Frontier. I'm not banking on it finishing strong, but it's definitely good period series filler.

There will be no one who has got enough Jason Momoa after watching Black Sails. He's not in it!

Retrowave Joe posted:

Also See on AppleTV. Interesting premise where the whole world went blind from a global pandemic, then fast forward a few hundred years to the birth of the first children with sight. Mamoa plays Baba Voss, protector of the Alkenny tribe, and the kids’ adoptive father.

It has that epic Game of Thrones feel, with gorgeous scenery, a remarkable attention to detail, brutal combat, and multilayered antagonists. The season 2 trailer just dropped, with Dave Bautista joining the cast.

Second season's being done by Jonathan Tropper (showrunner on Warrior and Banshee) so I'm excited.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

If that is the case.....then See jumps to the top of my list of shows to watch next.

It's not bad! There's some killer action scenes in the first half, less in the back. Be aware: it's got scifi trappings, but it's closer to epic fantasy in scope and incident.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Any shows like The Magicians?

There's a bunch, but you'll have to narrow down what you like about the show before anyone can give a solid recommendation.

That said, Netflix produced a blatant knock-off called The Order, and it's dumb fun. Also has Todd in it if you want more Todd. (You do, you want more Todd.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Lol I started the order but it's ruff watching 'hard white guy times' without knowing its worth it; I had read the books.

I like shows that explain magic, maybe magic schools. But mostly I like mages who are adults and maybe quest but honestly they can also be boring. I like Tom holt,an author, which is fantasy races doing contemporary jobs?

The Order is very, very silly, and the more it leans into that the better the show got. But it never got particularly good.

The UK version of Being Human is a good urban fantasy show. A bit emo -- in the contextual sense, it was absolutely reacting to trends at the time -- but I think it earns it by being surprisingly brutal (both physically and emotionally; the show is very, very mean to its characters and comes to some very harsh conclusions about most of its cast). It's also funny as gently caress when it wants to be. A personal favourite, and still the high bar when it comes to televised urban fantasy IMO.

The US version is hyper trash with an obsession with lore. Avoid IMO.

The Nevers might be a good choice too. Some people round these parts have an allergy to Whedon's screwball comedy dialogue sensibilities, but I've never minded it. And his plotting and characterisation are still several standard deviations above the norm. More X-men than magicians, but strong stuff.

And if you're looking at witch soap opera, there's Motherland: Fort Salem. Seems quite popular among the young soap crowd, but I've not watched it, and that title is terminal. But it's on my too watch list.

(Also popular: Netflix's Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina. Lovely production design, but the camp sensibilities of Ryan Murphy at his least disciplined. I'd advise against it.)

Travelling further afield, you could look into Preacher, Evil, Channel Zero and Carnivalé.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Just in time to catch up with the zeitgeist of twenty-odd years ago we've finally started watching Buffy. Three eps in and it's silly as hell and the effects are terrible but it's fun.

I loving love Buffy, but I love Angel (the show) more.

Both shows bloom the further you get into them. These shows also don't get enough credit for nurturing a lot of very strong writers, and for defining the way serialised television would be structured, both episodically and over the course of a season, though it takes them a while to work it out. (Well them and Farscape.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I really liked that one. In The Flesh is also an interesting take on the zombie genre, basically the idea is that there was a zombie outbreak but they got a vaccine and were able to turn the zombies back into people, more or less. Sorta exploring how you manage to live with neighbors who you watched eat your child or spouse last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omNou34OC-w

Not foreign language, but not American anyway.

In The Flesh is excellent. Very similar to (the good) Being Human show, and I think it aired around the same time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Does it come off as a political allegory? I sure read your description like the zombies are taking off their MAGA hats.

It's a couple of different political allegories, none of them Trumpian. Wrong country, wrong time.

I'd say more but it's a bit of a spoiler.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Does anyone like Yellowstone? I watched the laboriously long pilot episode and I think all the characters are either dull or I despise them. I can't really tell the sons apart because they all have big beards and cowboy hats. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be rooting for the guy that owns a ridiculous amount of land and is the ultimate nimby that doesn't allow cities to build any housing.

Yellowstone is apparently super popular, but I couldn't get past the pilot either. What a weird show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

thotsky posted:

What a garbage ending Nightflyers had. We're they banking on a second season that never materialized?

Yes, but that's de rigueur for television these days. It's nearly all produced and shot months before it airs. Cliffhanger endings do better for audience retention, so they basically come standard.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 5, 2021