Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
I watched the first 3 seasons (enjoyed most of it) of 24 a few years ago but stopped because season 4 was apparently the worst one and I had my fill of 24 at that point. I'm thinking about starting again though, should I just skip season 4 or try to power through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
I stopped watching season 4 of 24 I think 6 episodes in. I could ignore most of the political stuff in 24 but the secretary of defense letting his son be tortured made me roll my eyes out of my sockets (also 'IS THIS WHAT YOUR RELIGION TEACHES YOU'). I watched the last episode of 4 and the first 2 of season 5 and I'm enjoying it a lot more already.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013

Crunkjuice posted:

Whats the opinion of Prison Break?

Watch the first 2 seasons, it wraps up satisfyingly if you ignore the last 30 seconds of the finale and starts sucking directly after, so much that they retconned the entire 3rd season in the first 5 minutes of season 4. 4 was kind of fun in a ridiculous way but it's just not worth it.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013

minema posted:

I need something new that's easy to watch and fairly light-hearted for when I've just got in from work. I particularly enjoy crime shows but anything engaging would do really, although I don't really like action-heavy shows. I'm halfway through Homeland, but that can be a bit too intense. I enjoyed the first 3 seasons of Castle, so something like that would be ideal. Thank you for any suggestions!

Have you watched Burn Notice? I also second The Good Guys, that show was really fun and Bradley Whitford is amazing in it.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013

pigdog posted:

So I've seen pretty much everything HBO has had to offer -- which recentish series should I see now?

House of Cards?
Fargo?
Homeland? (never seen any of it)
The Good Wife?
Walking Dead? (Saw a couple of episodes of S1, wasn't too impressed)
Arrow?
something else?

Seen Spartacus, Downton Abbey, OITNB as far as some popular suggestions go

The Good Wife is a really good and intelligent show. You should watch it, probably after Fargo and the first season of Homeland. If you didn't like the first season you're probably not going to like Walking Dead. I also second Justified.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013

prinneh posted:

I also need a new comedy like nobody’s business and hoping someone here will know of something magic that I’ll be able to pick up on DVD or watch via netflix. I follow or have seen all the major ones, plus a bunch of British shows. Shows I’ve seen that I've enjoyed off the top of my head are

US
Louie
Party Down
Family Tree
Strangers with Candy
Girls
Eastbound and Down
Bored to Death
it’s always sunny
community
Frasier
Orange is the new black
m*a*s*h

UK
The thick of it
Father Ted etc
Spaced
Stewart Lee’s comedy vehicle
Peep Show
Moone Boy
The Trip
Green wing
Fresh meat
Dirk Gently

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've taken to rewatching old panel shows.

Veep, Archer and Rick & Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Is the Shield satire? It's compelling and there's good characters, but I'm four episodes in to season 3 and so far Vic Mackey and his crew of super white boys have pissed on people, threatened to rape people for intel, locked men into thunderdome shipping containers, gone down to mexico and shown the mexicans who the real men are, burnt people on stoves, had people stabbed to death in holding cells, choked and forced a whore to suck a gun to get her to comply with their plan to bust a minor pimp... and all of this has been portrayed as heroic. Occasionally there's hints that all this stuff might come back to bite them in the rear end, but so far everyone they wrong seems to forgive them and they get away with it.

It's not supposed to be heroic and dealing with the fallout of the poo poo they pull is a big part of the show and why it owns so much.