Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Phineas Gage posted:

you have the archives link to the thread? cant find it

It's not archived, it's on page 2.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3082971

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Funny how things change; it wasn't that long ago that the conventional wisdom stated the exact reverse.

He was being sarcastic, or at least I hope he was. The amount of arse-covering retcon in the season finale should make it obvious to anyone that saw it that until recently they were completely winging it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Count Choculitis posted:

I was not being sarcastic. I legitimately liked the ending. Yes they were doing a bunch of rear end-covering, but whatever, I still thought it was a good ending to a great show. But I like pretty much anything I watch so I guess I'm just easily pleased. :)

Think you got the wrong end of the stick on what I was saying. I meant that I though you were being sarcastic about Lost being planned out from the beginning, not BSG being good. I too though the end to BSG was very well done (dancing robot montage aside).

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Useless Rabbit posted:

I've been plowing through Wire in the Blood via Netflix streaming. Really excellent show, and I'm surprised it was never remade here in the US.

The first couple of series are really good, but after that it devolves into just another boring police procedural.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rabbit Hill posted:

And do people love Tig? I love Tig. :allears:

Tig loves anything with a pulse. Or without a pulse, come to that.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Noxville posted:

The one thing I remember best about The West Wing is that the bit where Josh is posting on the internet and finds his fans are weird and obsessive is based on Aaron Sorkin going on some forum (possibly TWOP?) and not getting the rapturous welcome he was expecting. Which is kind of a little pathetic, really.

Well, you create a fairly sophisticated and intelligent show which builds up a loyal fan-base. You go on the internet to talk to these fans expecting them, some may say naively, to also be intelligent and sophisticated. Instead, what you get is fan-fiction of the president being taking roughly over the desk in the oval office by the chief of staff. I'd be a bit put out too if that was my first exposure to internet fandom.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Halal to the Chief posted:

I'm bingeing through Buffy. I'm midway through season 3...can anyone tell me what season it falls off a cliff?

Season 4 and 5 have some really good episodes, but also quite a lot of really poo poo episodes. Season 6 is pretty poo poo from beginning to end. Season 7 is ok if you hit fast-forward whenever Buffy opens her mouth.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SaviourX posted:

Here, I fixed that for you.

Yeah, her too. It says a lot about season 7 that Dawn, who I loathed in season 5, is actually one of the least annoying characters.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Tailored Sauce posted:

Going through Breaking Bad. First two seasons were great. Season three is going too slow for me, I'm hoping it picks up. Pizza on the roof is the best thing about this season so far.

There's some definite awesome in there, it's worth the wait.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

TheKeeper posted:

Due to Torchwood getting a passing grade from me, I decided I would give the new Dr. Who another shot. I haven't started it yet, but will within the next few days.

You're best off skipping Tennant completely, if you try to marathon those seasons you'll either slit your wrists or end up with irreversible brain damage.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Yomofo posted:

I just finished up Sons of Anarchy and loved it.
I'm trying to get through The Unit and I'm struggling. I just find it too unrealistic and fake at times. I think that HBO and Showtime have spoiled me with violence. The Unit is almost like watching the A team now. :(
Anyways, I'd like to try something else and I'm torn between 24, Lost, or The Shield.

Any Suggestions for an action/drama guy?

The Shield, definitely. I started watching it because I was bored, not expecting much, and ended up binging through all seven series in a fortnight.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SMP posted:

I got through Justified over the past week. Why was the first half of the season procedural crime-of-the-week episodes, and the second half serial?

Most of the "stand-alone" episodes actually serve either to introduce new characters, like Raylan's dad or Pa Crowder, or to expand Raylan's character a bit. That way when it all kicks off in the back half of the season they don't have to stop to introduce everyone and you already give a poo poo about the characters. They could have spread out the arc story over the whole season I suppose, but that would have watered it down too much and wouldn't have been half as intense or interesting.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Randy Rand posted:

I cannot stand the way they are loving over Matt Sarasen. The new QB is a piece of poo poo and at this point they're just trolling the audience. Also moving Sarasen to receiver isn't going to make me feel like it's all better and done for, I will never be able to root for that JD shitbird. The only two people I pretty much care about in the show are Matt and Coach. The former is getting hosed over completely by the writers and I'm guessing he will be gone next season, which is yet another problem: how do I keep watching the show if I don't give a poo poo about anyone else?

Most of what you're complaining about is setup for the awesomeness of season 4.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

GutBomb posted:

My girlfriend got me hooked on Gossip Girl and I hate myself.

Every episode you watch increases the estrogen in your system. By the end of season 2 you'll be on your period.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Spaced

Pretty loving funny for being a decade old topical comedy. Lots of nerdy references to keep me happy.

drat you Phantom Menace! :argh:

Hawk the Slayer is rubbish!

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kerafyrm posted:

Fringe, here. I caught up on Supernatural a week or so ago and decided to give Fringe a try, and am loving it. Unfortunately, now I'm nearly caught up to that and am going to need a new series to binge through.

Manimal.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kekekela posted:

Is it called something else over here? Kind of like Spooks (lol) was renamed MI:5?

Don't think it's been shown outside the UK yet. You can buy the DVDs on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Misfits-Complete-DVD-Robert-Sheehan/dp/B002GV4ORQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291906498&sr=8-1

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

beanieson posted:

I just finished up Battlestar last night actually. I didn't mind the ending at all, and I felt that really the "angels" explanation had been telegraphed from the beginning.

Well, that depends if you count one of the characters flat-out stating it as fact as telegraphing it or not.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

GutBomb posted:

It's a studio audience. It's not a laugh track. The laughter is actual people laughing at the jokes as the show is being filmed. Sure the people have been worked up by a warm-up comedian beforehand to get them in a laughing mood, but it's not canned laughter added after the fact.

Whether it's live or pre-recorded, it's still a loving laugh track. If they'd complained about "canned laughter" you might have had a point, but they didn't, so gently caress off and die.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Early Prison Break is awesome.

It's very much like Heroes in that regard. First season is awesome, but it declines in quality rapidly after that.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Yomofo posted:

The next two I'm looking at are Rome and Spartacus. I tried to watch the 1st episode of Spartacus and the special effects were so over the top I had to stop. It just looked too cheap/fake to me. Should I give it another shot or will this irk me throughout the season?

It gets toned down a lot after the first couple of episodes.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cactus posted:

I'm enjoying it so far on a popcorn level but please tell me it gets a little less cliche as it progresses.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. No, no it does not. Enjoy your visit to the Stride Gum factory.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

scr0llwheel posted:

I just started From the Earth to the Moon. HBO makes the best miniseries.

Yeah, From the Earth to the Moon is great, I especially like how they did the Apollo 13 episode.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Daggerpants posted:

The Wire mainly to see more of Aidan Gillen, who plays Littlefinger in Game of Thrones... and because everyone always talks about how good of a show it was.

If you really want to see a lot more of Aidan Gillen you should watch Queer as Folk.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

qbert posted:

I just finished the first season of Torchwood and thought it was pretty much crap. I heard it's supposed to get much better, though.

Can someone tell me when it's supposed to get much better?

Series 3 Children of Earth is much better than what came before, but is still fairly crap in comparison to anything good.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Logan 5 posted:

Can anyone recommend MI:5? It's on netflix and although a quick google search tells me a few good things I was wondering if anyone else has seen it.

If that's Spooks, then the first season is quite good but it gets progressively worse as it goes on.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The Gloaming posted:

One thing I am trying to like but can not are the science fiction shows goons love so much. I did ten seasons of JAG in a couple weeks but I can not even do half a season of Buffy. This is also true with any anime. If there a way to ease myself into these shows? I know everyone can not like them so much if they are total poo poo. Has anyone else been able to change their taste so to say; or am I doomed to watching the all X-Files for the 3rd time?

The first season of Buffy can be a bit painful, but it does improve. If you're looking for sci-fi type shows to binge through in general, I'd recommend Battlestar Galactica which has an excellent first season and is very easy to get into. If you like the X-Files I'd also recommend Fringe which is very similar in tone, at least at first.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kid Moe posted:

Well, after reading some stuff on Carnivale and finding out it gets much more intriguing as the show goes on, I watched the second episode on anytime TV and can safely say that I'm invested.

Can't wait to see what happens with the priest dude, i've got an inkling that He's some kind of evil, possibly immortal or goes from life to life? but I'm trying my best not to speculate, i tried that with Lost and other shows and i'm almost always wrong.

All in all though i cant wait for next week to find out what the gently caress is going on, though i doubt thats going to happen.

You don't really find out what's going on till the second season but when it all comes out it's well worth the wait, unlike certain other programmes.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Throatwarbler posted:

Well So far Veronica hasn't had sex with Duncan, since she says she lost her virginity at the party where she was raped, which was after Lily's murder. And in any case Veronica is suitably disgusted by the idea, so its not as if the show was putting forward some radical new interpretation on sibling incest.

Keep watching.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

precision posted:

And my God, episode 6 (I believe) is one of the best hours of any show I have ever seen in my life and that is including The Prisoner. One word: milk.

That particular episode is why I'm not that worried that the quality will decrease just from Nathan leaving: Howard Overman managed to take an old Hugh Denis sketch and turn it into one of the most disturbing super-villains ever written.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mister Kingdom posted:

What's the general opinion of Falling Skies? I have a friend who has the whole series and liked it (we have similar tastes, usually, and he recommended it).

Lost interest after a couple of episodes, stopped watching it. It's not bad, per se, just not particularly good.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SouthLAnd posted:

I especially like how I don't hate all of the main characters yet.

Just wait till Teyla starts singing.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Trig Discipline posted:

That's not quite accurate. It goes mostly down the crapper, then it gets stuck and the crapper overflows. Then in season three they get the butter knife to try to cut it into flushable pieces, and then they use the plunger and try and force the pieces the rest of the way down the crapper, but it just breaks apart and floods onto the carpet and everyone starts vomiting from the smell.

Season 4 is where everyone dies of dysentery.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

mancalamania posted:

Just finished a re-watch of the first two seasons of Veronica Mars. Out of curiosity, what was the general consensus as to who the killers were when it originally aired? This was my first time watching it knowing advance who the killers were, and I thought there was no way anyone could have figured out in advance who they were. There was some minor foreshadowing, sure, and the killers of each season both definitely make sense, but I don't think there were enough clues for anyone to reasonably put it together before each finale.

I got both about three episodes before the finale, mainly due to the "minor foreshadowing" you mentioned being about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the testicles.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mu Zeta posted:

Timothy Olyphant is a terrible actor.

Now you've done it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cactus posted:

A lot of people like what he does v:shobon:v that satisfies my definition at any rate.

A few vocal whiny people on the internet like his shows, unfortunately most people don't and the ratings reflect that.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

jfballin posted:

The Unit got a lot better during the second season over the first. Still in season one on the other two.

Don't watch season 4. Seriously. One of the episodes involves the Spear of Destiny. It's loving awful.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

EddieDean posted:

They conflict with 01 Boxer, who I won't spoil but who is a believable villain.

Awesome villain who has his own awesome theme music that starts playing whenever he appears on screen.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Exploder posted:

Thank you to the posters who suggested that I keep watching Prison Break. I'm through episode 10 now, and I am totally into it. The two-parter Riots, Drills, and the Devil were two of the most intense hours of television I have seen (outside of Breaking Bad and The Wire). It's nothing groundbreaking, but it is a cool concept (if borrowed from Shawshank Redemption) executed in a unique way, and a lot of the characters are very likeable, and very unlikeable in a good way (T-bag).

Just to forewarn you, there's a huge drop in quality from season three onwards. The last half of season 4 is almost unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

richardfun posted:

Wow, you don't often hear someone this positive about SoA...

Actually people say good things about it all the time, but it all gets redacted by the CIA.