Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
RABBIT FALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Norse Code posted:

Rewatching Friday Night Lights for the second time... gently caress, this show is so good.

whenever you see the lovely downtown with the courthouse, that's where i live

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think FNL is all that great, but it is very good at capturing the lovely small-town football experience of our youth

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Im currently watching through the X-files on Netflix and this is TOO SPOOKY

x cops is the best episode of any tv show

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DoubleCakes posted:

I just finished up season 2 of Community and I gotta say this show is just full of great moments and zany scenarios. The biggest praise I can give it is that unlike a lot of shows, including one of my favourite series Arrested Development, Community really brings its heart up front. You can really believe that the Study Group are friends. Many other shows rely on the characters being jerks to each other and its nice to see a show where characters are genuinely nice to each (most of the time).

lol you poor fucker bail out bail out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gay dean, gay dean, gay dean gay deeeeeeean

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEuRWLgWMjo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Binging through Elementary on Hulu. I love anything Sherlock Holmes, so I am enjoying every second. I don't even mind the procedural formula.

season 1 owns, season 2 much less so. but its by far the best sherlock adaptation in a long time so i can forgive it.

law and order criminal intent is also a good sherlock show, if you haven't watched that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

richardfun posted:

I love Elementary so much more than I thought I would when I gave the first episode a try.

I'm especially impressed with the way they handle Sherlock's addiction. As someone with a bit of experience on the matter (not H, but addiction in general), it feels very authentic/genuine. It's almost like they have someone with real life experience advising the writers or something.

They also deserve props for having a Watson character who is proactive and has an effect on things beyond just giving Sherlock someone to explain things to. She starts being able to solve stuff on her own, too, which is something Sherlock was always after Watson to do in the books but which gets left out of a lot of things based on them (BBC Sherlock is especially guilty of this).

The addiction stuff is real well done, and him eventually getting over it is good but they really should have just gone ahead and ended things there since there's not really anywhere for the character to go once he gets better.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

richardfun posted:

What do you mean 'once he gets better'? With addiction, there is no such thing as getting better. There is using, and there is not using, and this is something I think the show accentuates very well. Another thing it does well IMO is that it doesn't show sobriety as the end goal, or even as a state that the person struggling with the addiction will always appreciate.

This next bit in spoilers, because it relates to the end of the last season.

Sherlock says at one point that he is really struggling with sobriety and finds himself thinking 'is this it?' It being dull, monotonous. And that was spot on. My experience is that stopping whatever it is you're abusing feels great at first. It fills you with a sense of pride, purpose. Those around you who know about it will encourage you, tell you they're proud. But as time goes on, it does become a drag, boring. The 'hunger', for lack of a better word, doesn't go away. You dont get better. But that drive you have at first does fade.

This is how I read Sherlock relapsing at the end of the last season. Him basically surrendering to the 'is this it?' mindset, which is a very powerful one.

With TV portrayals of addiction there is such a thing as getting better

When he's messing around with Kitty and apparently over the drugs the show gets dreadfully boring (Kitty is also a terrible character)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, regardless of its problems goddamn is american Sherlock a hell of a lot more likeable than super-rear end in a top hat magic genius British Sherlock

If nothing else, when elementary guy does do something cruel Lucy Liu watson is actually willing to tell him it was a bad loving thing to do. compare with that episode of bbc sherlock where he tells watson he can't disarm the bomb for literally no reason other than being a douchebag and nobody ever, ever calls him on it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DoubleCakes posted:

Finished season 4 of Community.

I was warned about how terrible the cast gets in Season 3 and onward, but I don't think the show lost its magic. There was still a strong sense of amiability.

The finale was a bit rushed with Jeff deciding to join a local firm and become a little guy's lawyer. I expected an ending like that but his decision didn't seem to have any build-up.

I might check out seasons 5 and 6. Canadian Netflix doesn't have either, so I'm not sure what my options are. As for the next show I wish to binge, I'm thinking I'll continue my Steven Universe binge (I haven't even finished the first season), or I might check out IT Crowd.

don't worry because all the good stuff that happened to people in the finale is destroyed in season 5, and also several main characters leave the show

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the community finale where dan harmon tells you that his show was really good and you shouldn't care if it got worse over time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I might have been incredibly drunk when I watched the community finale, please explain what actually happened in it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

prinneh posted:

I have loved claire danes for about as long as I can remember, so I might have a bit of a bias towards the show, but I'd say 1st season was the best one, then it took a dive, because they, without spoilering anything, wanted to keep the magic of the first season going. But, luckily for everyone, season 4 is basically a reboot. I'm rewatching it now in prep for season 5 and it's good, you guys should watch it.

Also rebinged Broad City this week. So funny, highly recommended.

so yeah, I'm mostly watching things I've seen before. Goon favourites such as rome and spartacus do nothing for me. Can anyone recommend something a little more esoteric? Like, what's your favourite show that no one else knows about?

AWAKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AWAKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kioU7MEHw1E