Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

savinhill posted:

I've been watching Misfits and I'm partway through season 2 and love it so far. I know Robert Sheehan leaves after this season, how does this show even continue existing without the Nathan character?

It... really, really doesn't. I realize I'm in sort of a minority on this, but Misfits just absolutely tanked for me when the original cast started leaving.

e: Also, Nathan's sendoff is in a loving webisode. If you're just watching the show, he basically abruptly disappears with no resolution.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mister Kingdom posted:

You say to yourself, "this show can't get any more ridiculous", and, well, it does.

So it's basically horror Banshee?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking for absurdly violent and over-the-top action shows. I'm already aware of Banshee (obviously) and Spartacus, I have all of Strike Back handy but it didn't really grab me for some reason (need to try it again), and I'm going to be constantly F5ing Netflix until Daredevil drops (it's a TV-MA rated DeKnight show so I'm assuming it'll scratch this itch nicely). Is there anything else?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pron on VHS posted:

Just finished all 3 seasons of Banshee. The rest of TV is ruined for me now.

That loving (3x03) Burton vs. Nola fight, right? :tviv:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rocksicles posted:

It's Cinemax, so doesn't it go directly to HBO's streaming thingamajig?

Let me give you a slightly more blunt hint: :yarr:

alternately, MaxGO works, you can buy the seasons on iTunes or Amazon, and there's DVD/BDs of the first two seasons.

Banshee loving owns though, it's like an old 80s or 90s anime OVA made live-action. So much nudity and gore and unbelievable badassery.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 23, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They're not important, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pron on VHS posted:

Everyone says this but Strike Back is much, much lamer than Banshee. Cool guns and hot girls but Banshee is actually a pretty good show whereas Strike Back is just a ton of live action Call of Duty cut scenes

Yeah, Strike Back just... really is not as good. Scott and Stonebridge aren't quite as fun as Hood, and the supporting cast in Strike Back is basically nonexistent while the supporting cast in Banshee owns like hell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadow posted:

Also watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1lc6KASWg

You can't not love this show. You just need to get to know them. :)

I love Always Sunny, but uh, the rape joke is not a good way to get people into the show.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've been binging Teen Titans Go! and holy mother of god this is probably one of the best kids' shows ever. Not really having nostalgia for the old show is probably helping, but this poo poo is just absolutely wonderful and I cannot get enough of it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Prinneh, try Banshee. It's on Cinemax, it owns, and there's not really anything on TV like it. First season is on Amazon Prime, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Banshee gets mentioned a lot in this subforum, but it's obscure as poo poo outside of SA, so I'm recommending it anyways :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

prinneh posted:

I've discarded Banshee before on account of this trailer - does it, in your opinion, accurately portray the show?

...jesus they made it look generic.

Here, I'll link you to a fight scene from it and you can judge for yourself. It's well-written, but the key appeal of the show is in the action sequences- there's not really any other shows doing fights like this except maybe Daredevil, and even that's not on the same level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ok3h8E42Qs

e: Also, like 90% of the plot of Banshee is life finding new and exciting ways to poo poo all over the protagonist, so if it's a power fantasy it's a rather masochistic one. Seriously, dude is constantly getting screwed by blind luck.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 15, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Daredevil is basically the only thing anything like Strike Back or Banshee. Spartacus also scratches a lot of the same itches as the latter for me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I will say that Manu Bennett being on roids prior to Spartacus and then going off them totally explains his dick seemingly growing several inches between seasons.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel like "Jupiter's cock" was used more in Rome than Spartacus but I could be remembering wrong.

"Remove cock from rear end!"

I kinda liked that they went for an old-fashioned talking style lacking pronouns, but then they'd suddenly use a bunch of pronouns and it'd just feel inconsistent. But I guess the writers were concerned about people understanding who they were talking about (but then just go ahead and use them all the time?) Its a nitpick though.

I noticed that they didn't use "my" or "your" but they used "his" or "her" pretty often.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also the show doesn't need a second season. The ending seemed pretty conclusive to me.

I disagree, but mostly because the new status quo they set up at the end of the season is potentially pretty great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Meatgrinder posted:

On the one hand I feel like the first season was more of an introduction to the world and the characters, and the real story can now start, but on the other I would have liked it to end there because I'm afraid it'll just turn formulaic and procedural from here on out.

I was pleasantly surprised at how this show was able to breathe some genuine originality in a cliché genre, without showing the effort it must have taken to do that. Some of the characters were nuanced enough to make the storyline somewhat unpredictable and the main character had some actually funny lines. Definitely makes for an entertaining afternoon.

Happy! being good is a lot more explicable when you realize the showrunner is Brian Taylor, of Crank fame

It really does kind of feel like what a hypothetical Crank 3 would have been, just 10 hours long and with a CGI Patton Oswalt

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
God, Job loving owned though

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

Banshee has the worst intro of all time and it looks like they paid some high school kid to make it in photoshop.

Sick music though

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've been rewatching the HBO Spawn series and man, this honestly holds up. It's not a perfect series, but when it's not going Full Edgy, the writing's actually pretty good, and the animation is loving gorgeous.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

The intros by Todd McFarlane were stupid on day one though

Nah, they're fine, honestly.

Like, they're corny, but they also kinda hammer home how the whole thing's a sincere passion project. Nobody would do that for a cash grab, and everything about them sells how much it's his baby.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

showbiz_liz posted:

My biggest problem with Outlander (I read the book a while ago, haven't seen the show) is the fact that the main villain turns out to be an evil gay rapist who kidnaps, rapes, and tortures the male main character for days, all of which is described in the book in graphic detail, and then the female main character cures the male main character of his post-rape PTSD via rough sex. People told me this book was "cute."

shockingly, most suburban wine moms are massive homophobes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
American Dad is loving hilarious.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slamhound posted:

2) Given the dream-like quality of the episode, it turns out that Barry actually murdered the girl during the hit and the episode is how he rationalizes it (she was a ninja!!!). That would go a ways to making Barry irredeemable which is something they've been hitting on.

(general Barry spoilers, specifically relevant to s2e5 chat)

I don't think that would work, though. Barry, as a show, kind of relies on Barry constantly being exactly on the line between unsympathetic and sympathetic to work, and pushing him to one side or the other fully would kind of gently caress everything up. He's a deliberately liminal character and the idea that he should be revealed as an absolute monster, or redeemed as a hero, misses the point pretty hard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, all the character stuff in Banshee is bizarrely well-written for the type of show it is. Hood's weird little family is really endearing, and Job is just the absolute best.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...I mean, we were just talking about how Banshee actually is genuinely good. It's not quite on the same level as Spartacus, but almost nothing is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Hood's an actual well-written antihero. He's done horrible poo poo in the backstory, and that's always a fundamental part of who he is, but he also spends most of the series trying desperately to break good and rebuild his life in a positive direction.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I watched Blood on the Sand, then Vengeance, then War of the Damned then Gods of the Arena because that's the order I got the dvd boxsets in. I was pretty confused when Animaus showed up and everyone acted like they'd known him for years.

You mean Gannicus. Oenomaeus (I probably butchered that) is the swole black dude who trained everyone. Gannicus is the one with the sick shoulder tat who shows up out of nowhere if you skip GotA.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The fat suit was to set up that guy getting his upper half turned into a spray of gore by a semi truck which owned

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wafflecopper posted:

Gonna need you to show your working on this. Spartacus was great fun but it’s 150% pulp

i'll split the difference: it's extremely good pulp

like, yes, it's got gore and tits everywhere and looks kind of janky early on, but it's also a genuinely loving incredible show. being pulpy does not preclude good writing and good acting, and Spartacus was fuckin' overflowing with both of those things.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You really kind of have to start at the beginning (or at least The Thing in the Pit, if you know your Roman history well enough to not need the expo dump) and stick with it.

Watching scattered episodes is not going to give you a good picture of Spartacus. The character arcs and long-term storytelling are where it truly shines.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Does SyFy actually own Blood Drive? If not, they might not have had the option to do anything with Slink.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zzulu posted:

yeah sure

if this was at the post about Cavill, dude being a huge huge dorkass has been a known quantity forever

he nearly missed the call for Man of Steel because he was raiding with his WoW guild

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nate fisher posted:

Actually it is the most ‘rapey’ show I have I ever watched (before that? Oz maybe?). I just had this discussion with my wife (who is a fan of the books) during the last season about how the show averages a rape per season. We debated if the author has a rape fetish or if it is just a lazy way for her to show how brutal that world is. I don’t mind the show outside of that, but I can’t watch rape at all (man to man is bad, but it doesn’t affect me the way when I see a man raping woman. I can’t watch it at all). There was some backlash a few years ago against the show because of this, but all they have done is to put up a warning on the show (plus hotline number).

I'm not sure I would go as far as "fetish" but Gabaldon has a real thing for kind of dickish male characters getting punitively/correctively raped and then suddenly turning into sympathetic romantic heroes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sad question posted:

Fact that the Joss turned out be a creepazoid also tarnishes it somewhat, but given that tv shows are massive collaborative endeavors it would be unfair to write it off because of some rear end in a top hat.

Thing is, Buffy/Angel basically wasn't. That poo poo was Whedon's baby 100% and the wide bulk of the people who worked on it were just following what Whedon wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly the stuff from Noxon's tenure is probably the only Buffy that still holds up at all

the rest is just so aggressively Whedon and that writing style is just loving intolerable now that we know the dude's a poo poo