Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I recently binge-watched seasons 1 and 2 of Kidding and got super excited at the prospect of there being a third season. Then I found out it got shitcanned last May. Now I feel like poo poo for not watching it when it was new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Cactus posted:

Oh well.

Yeah that was one of the better shows for that. I was actually refering to when shows do that thing where there's an extended sequence that takes up anything from a third of an episode to almost the whole episode where they have something catastrophic and unexpected happen that takes out 90+% of the main cast, and the whole time I'm always thinking ok, this is a dream or a holodeck simulation or something, there's no way this just happened for real - and sure enough after a while you get the reveal that none of what you just saw actually happened due to whatever sci-fi conceit. Another life just did it, which prompted me to post about it. Other examples I can think of are Stargate Universe, Star trek Voyager, The Orville... Dark Matter I think did it, probably Stargate, probably Farscape (I can't remember for sure that far back which means they're probably overdue for rewatches) - basically most of the long-ish running sci-fi shows have used this trope. It's annoying because as soon as it twigs that what you're seeing can't be real it sucks all of the tension out of watching because you're just waiting for the fakeout to end, which can sometimes take half an hour or more.

Does a show exist where they've done one of those episodes and the Big Twist is actually no, you're wrong, this actually did happen? The big "it was all a dream/parallel timeline/simulation" reveal is not coming? Yes, you just saw 90% of the main cast die in one random mid-season episode; dead-forever you saw the open-eyed bodies, they're not coming back! Deal with it. I can't think of one and I wouldn't even want to be robbed of the shock of ever watching it by having the answer revealed if such a show exists.

Red Wedding is not what I would consider an example of what I'm talking about but it probably came the closest to giving you the same feeling of shock you would get.

One example of this that I thought of while reading this was an episode of the old British cop serial The Bill where one of the officers accidentally triggered a massive explosion at the police station while a going-away party was happening for one staff member who was transferring, and about 7 main characters were killed in a matter of seconds with at least 2 more dying in the hospital 2 episodes later.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Recently started rewatching Ally McBeal to see if it’s as funny as it was when I was 10. It mostly holds up, although one S1 episode featuring a trans prostitute played by the doctor from Star Trek Discovery has aged like loving milk.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Pablo Bluth posted:

Not quite on the same numerical scale of killing characters, but the British soap Emmerdale did a plane crash. It was apparently facing the axe with it's gentle rural plotlines not winning over the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_IrZew437s

Starts at 16min.

gently caress this just reminded me of the episode of yet another British programme called Bad Girls where a prisoner trying to escape the prison blew it the gently caress up which trapped a bunch of the prisoners in I think either the library or the chapel of the prison, and over the course of the hour about 5 of the prisoners either burned to death or died from smoke inhalation before firefighters could get to them.

E: https://youtu.be/l56i9GLLQRQ
Skip to 3:40 (the clip cuts off just before the stoned one with the spiky hair burns alive)

HOLY gently caress posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot about that. In addition to the explosion and transfers I think a few characters also committed suicide in that same season as well, it was like a hosed up mass exodus. That was right around when I started watching it too :pwn:

I’m gonna say it, you picked an absolutely awful time to start watching that show, because IIRC only a couple episodes before the explosion, an officer they’d only just introduced got knifed in the loving throat while he was putting the moves on a woman he’d pulled over for running a red light and he bled to death on the road in another officer’s arms.

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 26, 2021

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Bojack Horseman gets loving wild in ways I’ve never encountered in other TV shows. Prepare for a lot of episodes that end with you sitting in stunned silence as the credits roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

kaworu posted:

Watched the first episode of Chernobyl earlier tonight and I'm on the second one now. My face is permanently affixed into a :gonk: expression.

That first episode is loving insane and it only gets worse from there.

I finished season 1 of Ally McBeal last night. It’s turned out to be a funnier show than I remember, outside of one episode featuring a trans prostitute that has aged very poorly.