Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Mu Zeta posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the same company was creating a lot of those intros.

This is true. Elastic is the studio that does most of them, and they’re well known for macro shots with high DoF, singular items, and strong color themes.

They’re really drat good at it imo, though as you can see from the list below, every studio has decided they need the same look and they all go to elastic, leading to dozens of shows with thematically similar titles.

nice list of their titles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Binged through Sabrina and Bojack, currently on the Magicians (though behind on current season by a few episodes).

All 3 shows have been genuinely excellent, Sabrina being the surprise out of the bunch. Was expecting a cheesy “oh, that satan!” kind of show, instead I got something that treated Satanism like any other religion, with all the awful faults that entails, and some incredibly badass moments of “gently caress the patriarchy”. Wayyyyy darker than I expected too, who is the audience for this show lol?!

All 3 did the “first season first half is ehh, then picks up wildly” too, which I’m realizing works in a binge scenario.

The representation in the three has been the thing that sticks out with me the most though. Bojack showed me there was a term for how I am, and it finally clicked why people care about being seen on screen. Always thought “who cares, it’s media”, but I was so drat wrong.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

I started Person of Interest a couple weeks ago, just made it to season 2. Pretty sure I picked it up due to people talking about it here.

It’s like a weird, proto westworld/blacklist/CSI crossover show so far. Has some of the same cheesy wooden dialog you’d see in the latter two shows, but then has this wildly incongruous, epic Ramin Djawadi soundtrack that gives a good preview of the direction of his future work. Which cracks me up, some scene of a dude looking at a computer monitor will have some “The Night King” style track behind it.

Much like Blacklist it’s main story seems to be doled out over seasons, and while the S1 finale twist wasn’t quite as big as I’d hoped, the slow exposure of plot points has kept me hooked.

E: and Jim Caviezel’s delivery is like a stiffer Geralt. I’m not fully onboard with that, the monotonal whisper is way less fun without random “fucks” strewn about, but it’s not a dealbreaker.

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 2, 2020

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Lucas Archer posted:

I've watched the first five or six episodes of Person of Interest. It's an entertaining (dare I say interesting) show, but it's a pretty big dude-fest so far and sometimes the leaps of logic make my head spin. I can feel a metaplot bubbling under the surface, but I don't know if I want to put up with Reese's knowing smiles and Finch's smarmy quips for another fifteen episodes to get to what I assume will be the real meat of the show later on. I have been told it gets very intricate as time goes on, but I've yet to see it.

I recently finished POI thanks to this thread, and I’m super glad I stuck with it.

It definitely starts to find its footing in the last half of season 1, then it’s a wild ride from then on out.

It’s also one of the few shows that has managed to completely change my view of a character. I hated this character at first, and just wanted their scenes to be over. But then some great character development happens, and all of a sudden I’m rooting for them (unintentional I swear lol) and want them to succeed.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

I need to get back to it and finish it - but I'm almost 100% sure you mean Reese, right? I couldn't stand him at first, so wooden....

hah, I actually found Reese to be fine; his woodenness played a nice foil to Finch and Fusco, like a budget Geralt or something. Root though... I couldn’t stand her, it seemed to hit all the “malicious hacker villain that’s got a troubled past” tropes I dislike.

So when the show expanded her characterization, I was genuinely surprised. They didn’t try to erase her awful behavior or explain it away. It just got slotted alongside the good things she did as part of her personality.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

I just binged through all of Lucifer in like 5 days.

Based on the summary, I was expecting a pretty dumb FOX police procedural that was going to gently push their viewers buttons. Instead, I got a tonally bizarre, really engrossing show about therapy and self-redemption, with multiple romances I somehow got invested in. That never happens for me, and I realized this was my show the first time I audibly said "whaaat the gently caress dude just loving go after her jesus you are so dumb" at my TV.

It's not perfect, especially before the Netflix switch. Lots of filler to pad out 22+ episodes, some questionable script choices, and I honestly think lucifer's devil face looks dumb as hell. But nearly everything else is so spot on for me. Especially the therapy sessions. Not used to seeing a TV therapist actually take a real-life tack there and let the characters guide themselves to conclusions.

And now I can't wait for 5b and 6, really curious to see how they wrap this show up.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We recently finished Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. It's a show I really like but it probably didn't need this last season. I don't regret watching it but it just felt so ungrounded that by the end I couldn't really give a crap. The finale was disappointing. The one kind of meta episode where one of the Sabrina clones ends up in a reality where she's an actress on a version of the Sabrina sitcom from the '90's was pretty fun. The structure of the season fighting off one Eldrich terror after another felt a little uninspired but the actual conceptualization of the baddies was pretty creative.

I felt the same way, which was sort of a bummer. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, got a little iffier on 3, and just wasn't that into 4. I felt like they really dropped the ball with their depiction of Eldritch terrors though. Which, admittedly, is super common since how do you portray something like that? I mainly wanted way more terrifying tentacle tooth eye monsters :(

I'm of two minds on that. On the one hand, I want to be disappointed in how it turned out. On the other, I sympathize with the cast and crew immensely for the COVID stuff they had to go through, and I'm certain that had a big impact on the show. Lots of ideas they would've had to drop, greatly increased costs (it's at least 10% of the total budget), and having to deal with constant shutdowns due to infections. Doesn't take all the blame, but certainly messed things up a bit.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

GenSpecific posted:

Been binging The Blacklist currently. Gotta say, it really is a perfect I am smarter than you and constantly make it known to rub it in fix that I have been looking for. The also nonstop backstabbing/intrigue has been great.

I love this stupid show so much. It gets a bit muddled at points, but every single time Red goes off on some tangent it gets my full attention. Minutes of him telling unrelated stories while the other characters get more and more exasperated, dembe standing in the corner nodding and adding the occasional filler detail.

I’m surprised it’s gone on as long as it has, but it handles the crime procedural format better than a lot of its peers.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

I’m so far behind on this, but started the good place last week and I’m a few eps into season 3 now.

Excellent show, I’m a little iffy on the constant “repeating” of certain concepts but the overall package is great and it’s fun to see philosophy meet reality.

Really wasn’t expecting how genuine and heartfelt it’s getting either! I just want this group of morons to grow and become the best people they can.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Been working my way through Banshee based on some talk earlier in this thread, on s2e5 right now.

I’m way more invested in this “idiot big fish in small pond lie and murder each other” show than I expected. Antony Starr is so drat good with the barely contained rage facial expressions, there’s like a dozen times in each episode I’m sure he’s going to snap on someone he shouldn’t.

But instead he just keeps on making the idiot choice to stay, and it keeps on teetering on all blowing up.

What’s a similar series I can pick up after? Mainly looking great visceral action scenes and flawed characters.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Ooh hell yeah thank you all! This is a solid couple months of shows at my rate of watching. And it also reminded me I never finished Kingdom or Into the Badlands, so I gotta add those to the list too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

mystes posted:

This appears to combine all the types of tv shows I hate the most into one show, lol

Haha I felt the same way when my partner wanted to watch it, I was certain I’d dislike it at best. Instead, it became one of my favorite shows of the year so far.

It plants itself firmly on the side of “the main guy is the hero of the story”, so there’s no mean pranks or super cringe stuff.