Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Watched all of Carnival Row in one sitting yesterday. Amazon has terrible advertising/cover art - I thought from the thumbnails I saw that it was some kind of Victorian "Jack The Ripper" take and had little interest.

It's actually a political intrigue type thing set in basically the Bright universe (or Shadowrun, or whatever your fancy), in faux 1800s. It's all about racism against human-esque races like faeries and satyrs. Add a detective plotline and romance plotline, and also twenty or so other side plotlines for some reason, and you have the show.

Worth a watch, I think, even if muddled by too much poo poo happening at once. I guess this is their take on Game of Thrones? A lot of stuff I hoped would pay off seemed purely to set up characters for importance in future seasons rather than any real ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished watching through the entirety of 30 Rock over the last month. What a great series finale! There was even an Aardvark joke in it! I haven't felt this sad about running out of a tv show in ages.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Did you see the 4 episodes with blackface that have been pulled? Perhaps they will never be found again.

I watched all but one of them, the first one, via Dailymotion uploads that were sped up to counter copyright strikes.

I technically still have one unwatched episode, I guess - I just skipped the first pulled one.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Hunters had a huge tone problem, completely agreed. You can't just go from slapstick and comic stuff directly to a played straight Holocaust story. Without some kind of decent transition it just comes off like you think the Holocaust is a fairy tale.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Woops I asked this in the chat thread. I just started watching through Alone because of it coming up here - I never thought I'd be watching a survivor show from the History channel and be in to it this much.

That being said I was really curious to see what the 10 things everyone picked bring were, but I can not for the life of me find a list for season 1. They keep taunting me with the website link in the show but they only seem to keep the latest season on it. Every other site that says they have it says not to scroll past for major season spoilers :ohdear: can anyone help me out?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TheAardvark posted:

That being said I was really curious to see what the 10 things everyone picked bring were, but I can not for the life of me find a list for season 1. They keep taunting me with the website link in the show but they only seem to keep the latest season on it. Every other site that says they have it says not to scroll past for major season spoilers :ohdear: can anyone help me out?

I finally gave in 6 episodes in because I saw someone had arrows and was like wtf they can bring that?

Anyway for some reason the only site with the season 1 gear list had absolutely no spoilers on it, listing each person's gear one by one, until for some reason they marked **THIS PERSON WON** on the winner. great website

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm the same way and I couldn't get back in to Dark for season 2 - less than a year after watching season 1 I couldn't remember who anyone was, and a YouTube synopsis did not help much.

I think it's a little worse than usual because reading subtitles reduces my already terrible ability to memorize faces and names.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished Season 1 of Alone
LOL @ that dweeb spending an entire day cutting down the wood for a cabin and fireplace because he found some mud and thought it was fireable clay. of course he's also the one that builds a boat and an instrument.

Alan was my favorite from the start, pretty impressed with Sam but I feel like he got the best starting location too. In to season 2 I'm hoping the disparity in locations isn't as bad as S1 was. There was a pattern to who got eliminated that made it seem like the south half of the overall area had 100% of the predators. also the sea is super important and it seemed like not everyone had access to it, while the top 2 had great beaches

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished binging all of Mindhunters in 2 days. Great show format, I hope Fincher eventually comes back to finish it. Some weak points overall, but all worth it for the actual interview scenes.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
4 episodes in to Legends of Tomorrow season 2 and what an improvement

It's like they realized they have an awesome premise for a monster of the week show and.. are finally accepting it. Ninjas and zombie confederates are kinda lol-random but I love fun bullshit like this. Also, Ray "enhancing" that super serum in the nazi laboratory in like, an hour, was so ridiculous I just had to love it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Trig Discipline posted:

We've started watching Alone and are really enjoying it. Just a bunch of rednecks eating slugs and crying in the woods.

It's so good! It shouldn't be at all! I love it

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished season 2 of Legends of Tomorrow.

great drunk show. I love the monster of the week stuff but anything about a larger mythos is really bad. being drunk makes it all make sense

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
S2 legends of tomorrow spoilers

the crossover episode was the worst television I have ever watched

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Halfway through Legends of Tomorrow Season 3, and let me just say gently caress these crossover episodes. Why do they insist on putting major character plot for this show inside episodes of Supergirl and Arrow that are also full of poo poo I don't care about at all! :argh:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Arrow loving infected every other CW DC show with its crap. Its one of the reasons why I dropped the Flash.

I finished it with copious fast forwarding, but the shot that ends up killing Martin Stein happening on The Flash is insanely loving stupid.

I like the idea of crossovers on paper but they shouldn't ever use it for huge character changing plot points. I guess everything looks the same from the writer's room.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Alone S5:

Sam basically didn't do poo poo in either season 1 or this season. He was just fatter than anyone else.

I'm watching through this show with a buddy and we both made the comment after S1 that we could do as well as Sam just by being fat, building a camp, and doing nothing.

Sam winning by doing that kinda makes the whole show feel pointless.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
also (Alone Season 5)

Sam left his heavily pregnant wife the first time right when she needed him, then a week after his second child was born.

Then he had basically nothing to say about any of that for over a month both times, because he was doing nothing, and didn't care. but i guess he became reddit famous so good job

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Alone S5

he has 30 minutes of screen time because he did absolutely nothing of value in either season other than come in fat enough to survive.

dude never caught any fish or really did anything in either season. being fat is 100% more important than being able to fend for yourself but that doesn't make it fun to watch

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Alone spoilers through Season 5

No one fit has won yet, so it means no one has been able to Actually Survive out there. Every winner so far has just outlasted the rest on pure starting weight. 5 seasons in a row the heaviest starting weight won the competition

they honestly need to put a weight limit on it if they want to make it a survival contest

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Alone S5

I wanted to see Dave spear a boar or something God drat it! there's nothing interesting about a 250 lb dude sitting in a tent, neglecting his wife, child, and newborn

Also please spoiler tag this stuff. Someone randomly announced the winner of season 5 earlier and it was really lovely since I'm watching with friends

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
They have GPS locators and mandatory random health checks, unfortunately.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Watching through The Reckoning on netflix now, 10 episode serial killer drama limited series.

I think these limited series small town kinda murder shows they keep putting out are my favorite thing on Netflix at this point. Like The Stranger, and The Five.

I won't speak to their quality on any kind of objective scale but drat I love me some small town murder drama.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

isaboo posted:

Oh drat I forgot about The Reckoning. I want to watch that solely because of Aden Young

I knew who you were talking about without knowing either him or the cast's names. He's the 50/50 main character, I'm liking it a lot. 6/10 in now.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

isaboo posted:

He was amazing in Rectify!

Sounds like my jam so will check it out. I will say the other main actor on The Reckoning is really good too.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Fair warning for anyone who decides to watch The Reckoning: it was apparently only billed as a limited series after it failed to get renewed. the ending does not wrap it up. fuckers

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It is 100% a by the books procedural, I don't think you're going to like the show if you don't already by season 2, let alone mid season 3. I can't think of any episodes that don't get solved by an epiphany, either. Maybe a season finale or two.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

wormil posted:

I enjoyed most of House but your criticism is spot on and it gets worse as it goes. I watched it for the 2nd time awhile back and found the team drama a lot more interesting than House drama. The show improves dramatically if you FF every scene with Cuddy. Her character doesn't affect the plot much but drags down the pacing. The will they or won't they between her and House is obnoxious by later seasons.

pretty much. It is loved because it was a procedural with fun character scenes, and watching it while it was airing made the Cuddy stuff a little more engaging. It's definitely not like Person of Interest where it kind of went beyond the procedural.

I still like watching reruns of it. If you haven't seen it I'd say it's worth a watch to see if you like House and his interactions enough to make it worth it, but no reason to stick out if you don't.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TMMadman posted:

Been letting Z Nation play again and those first few seasons were just so wild and fun and way better then anything TWD put out.

If anyone asks, we were never near the Grand Canyon.

i was on the fence about giving this a try but just saw it stars D.J. Qualls, hell yeah I love that guy for reasons I can't explain

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TMMadman posted:

If you've never seen it before make sure you give it at least a half a dozen episodes before judging.

Half a dozen is unnecessary, I was in to it by episode 2. Highlights in the first 6 episodes:

the baby
the zombie in the wheel well
the liberty bell scene
doc hot boxing the air shaft with the zombie
dj qualls being a weird rear end stalker and talking to himself constantly
ZOMBNADO

This show is much better than I expected from SyFy. Every episode is a pretty contained zombie story - it's the same characters and their journey, but it's still episodic, and it works really well. It's not 100% serious but it manages to sell the scary bits pretty well.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I ended up watching all of UK, but it could have been so much better. A show that consists entirely of one room (two I guess technically) needs to have really good writing.

Looking forward to Criminal: US where they turn the camera off and beat the poo poo out of the suspects.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

STAC Goat posted:

It picks up a little in the middle seasons when the meta plot gets way more important and the episodic nature falls back a bit. poo poo gets weird. I think it makes a crucial mistake in the last season that kind of blows it but it was a way more engaging watch than I thought at the start. But it still never really gets heavy enough to lose that mid 2000s USA show ease of watching.

fine, use the magic words that make me contractually obligated to watch a show. im not mad. :mad:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished e4 of Haven. Just the kind of show I was looking for :allears:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I like that it's unusual she's a woman in chess, but also it almost never matters at all in the entire series. You could gender swap the whole show without changing anything at all, basically. Honestly it's probably unrealistic in that regard, a bunch of the small tournaments would have had petty dictators refusing to let her play.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i have a confession to make. ive been watching anime :ohdear:

30 some episodes in to Hunter X Hunter. extremely fun, although pretty uhh.. non diverse cast. There were only like 2 girls in the entire exam!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
should I try Desperate Housewives? I've never even considered the thought before lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know how well it's aged since I never rewatched it, but as supernatural serials go, Reaper was a lot of fun. More on the comedy side, but still a high concept fantasy in a modern setting.

that show was my first "gently caress why did they cancel that" show!

I'm terrified to rewatch it because it might be bad, but it had Ray Wise as the devil, which has to singlehandedly make it worth it still.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

sticklefifer posted:

Ray Wise should always play the devil.

I also remember thinking it got exponentially better once they added Ken Marino and Michael Ian Black as a gay demon couple. Though pretty much any show gets better when the cast from The State shows up.

Ray Wise as the devil is such an appropriate role that since that show premiered I always assume he's the devil. He just loving is.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished Unforgotten, a BBC detective show about found bodies re-opening old cases. 3 series, each a separate case.

Nicola Walker is excellent in it. I am a big fan of the whole genre of 1 season/miniseries long mystery shows, this one I think hit the spot very well.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm watching The Untamed, a Chinese martial arts/fantasy show on Netflix. It's based off a Xanxia novel, which is a popular genre of fantasy in China based around powering up and fighting things forever, incorporating various daoist ideas.

The CGI is terrible but the whole thing is somehow very charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Cameron Britton is so God damned good, just seeing he was in it got me to watch Deadly Games. I ended up watching Unabomber after, though.