Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I've been watching a lot of SVU and realizing how inappropriate it was for me to watch in middle school. I lowkey think its 3PM syndication was an abstinence-only psyop because I was terrified to go on a date until I was like 20. Stabler does way more police brutality than I remembered. Also lol at the early seasons when they'd dedicate entire episodes to the question of whether it's possible for a woman to rape a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Aardvark! posted:

I'm half way through s2 on my watch through and haven't hit the woman rape man yet. did get "can you rape your wife?" which at least only had a handful of disgusting comments from the "good guys" lol

it is insane how much the quality of the stories varies from episode to episode, even watching them all in order

The best episodes are the ones written/produced by Speed Weed, but I don't think he joins the show until season 12. I've been jumping around, but I'm impressed that you'd watch the show in its pre-Ice-T era.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Trig Discipline posted:

Reading some of the feedback on Luther here moved it down my list a bit, and we decided to check out Search Party. We're only two eps in but it seems really promising. Also started watching Made For Love, which is a new sci fi show by one of the writers/producers of Search Party. It's very Black Mirror-ish in its premise but pretty funny in parts too. It shows a lot of promise.

I would follow the Search Party team to the ends of the earth. They could make a TV show about anything and I'd watch it. Search Party basically changes genres every season, but stays coherent and cohesive as one story. It's incredible.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I rewatched United States of Tara for the third time recently. So loving good. Toni Collette is obviously an icon, but Rosemarie DeWitt does extraordinary things with Charmaine. She's an annoying character, but her moments of humanity are so genuine that I can't not love her.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I've been watching The Other Two on HBOMax. Ken Marino is a genius.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Solaris 2.0 posted:

After how much I enjoyed Ted Lasso,For All Mankind, and some of the documentaries and films on Apple+ I decided to give The Morning Show a try.

This may be a wrong opinion but I am...enjoying it? I went in assuming I would bounce off hard, and while it has a few cringeworthy plot moments, I can't get enough of how much the main characters are all acting their asses off. Seriously top tier performances from Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Steve Carell, etc.

I fell off after a few episodes but I liked it too! Maybe now I'll finish it. I still think about the moment when Steve Carell propositions(?) Jennifer Aniston and she says "I think the world holds me to a higher esteem than that."

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Been watching a lot of House, M.D. lately. I’d seen a little bit of it while it was on the air, but not a lot. It has the cynicism of a cop procedural without being about cops. House is committing Elliot Stabler levels of malpractice and unfortunately it’s super fun to watch.

Most of the episodes range from middling to good, but every so often there’s something that just blows me away; last night I watched the season 2 two-parter where Omar Epps gets a brain parasite from a patient and goes blind, then injects Cameron with the parasite so she’ll be more motivated to save him. Just absurd and somehow still terrifying.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I'm 6/8 episodes into Dopesick. I'm really enjoying it, but I have a theory that Kaitlyn Dever's character is going to die (the actress playing her mom was nominated for an Emmy and hasn't done a lot yet).

Also, I didn't know Purdue invented the pain scale! I had to point at that when I was 9 and broke my arm. What if the hospital gave me Oxy

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I've tried to watch Breaking Bad twice and never got past season 3 (not because I didn't like it, but because I would binge it and then burn out), but I just finished the whole series last night and holy poo poo. What an incredible show. I have to say I hated Marie at first, but by the end she was my favorite character. And the baby who plays Holly has SUCH star power. I love that she ad-libbed "Mama" in Ozymandias. An improviser of the highest order.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Now that it's all over and done with, you MUST watch Better Call Saul!

I watched the first two episodes last night and I still can't get over those teens who broke into a funeral home to decapitate a corpse and gently caress its face

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Been rewatching Avenue 5 since the new season premiered yesterday. I don't think it's as good as I originally thought :( But I love the cast so much and I trust that it'll get better in season 2

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I found Avenue 5 pretty mediocre. Except for those 5 minutes that are the most accurate social commentary of our doomed era that I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo

The airlock scene had me freaking tf out when it originally aired and I think I attributed the genius of that scene to the rest of the show.

Season 2 premiere was fine. I hope they continue leaning into the darkness tbh

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I’ve been rewatching Girls for the first time since college and I’m astonished at how good it is.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Juliette Lewis as present-day Nat.

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. No.

I know you're already banned for something else, but this is the post you deserved to get banned for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

mcbexx posted:

Based on the glowing recommendations for a show with horrible characters, I started watching Search Party and finished S1 today.

You weren't kidding, I'm impressed how they managed to write basically every character as flawed, unlikeable yet somehow intriguing enough that you care about them (with a couple of exceptions) and the plot carrying on.

The banality of the big reveal and the heavy consequences that lead to it are just :discourse:

Looking forward to the other seasons and hoping they come up with more truly awful people.

Banality is such a good word for the final reveal of season 1. The whole finale is just so perfect.

Regarding season 4 of You: I'm in the middle of episode 9 and I just adored the whole Jekyll & Hyde reveal. I feel like seasons 2 and 3 leaned heavily into him being an outright sociopath, or at least more monster than human, which was fun in its own way. For the first chunk of season 4, it seemed like he was doing better at bettering himself -- which, for a serial killer, means he became more of an "I don't want to kill people, but I will if my safety or independence is in danger" type of creep. But of course he can't escape who he is. I love the trick that the show plays on the viewer. It's like it wants you to believe what he believes, that he can be a good guy, only to pull the rug out from under you and laugh.