Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

We just got done with The Wire, and really enjoyed it. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone who likes being entertained by moving pictures.

Before that we killed off Six Feet Under, since we had made it to the last season before giving up completely. We rewatched the entire thing again and while excellent, I just don't think I'll ever watch it again. Its too sad and depressing. Especially the ending.

We've been completely binging on The F Word, which is a British reality show featuring Gordon Ramsay. I love Gordon's UK shows way more than his US stuff. The F Word manages to find a nice balance between lots of varying things: a contest between different sets of kitchen staff each week, an ongoing documentary about Gordon raising his own food (turkeys, pigs, lambs), various segments regarding strange or cool food, and some general silliness (such as teaching people to cook or getting people to send in celebrity cook books so he can recycle them).

We've done most of the shows mentioned in this thread, and now we've just started on The Sopranos. We never got around to finishing the series, although I've rewatched S1-5 a couple of times now. Never gets old, though, I really, really dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

WoG posted:

There's always The Wire, which I've yet to watch, but the hype is so high, I feel like it's bound to disappoint. It's not the first show heralded as 'best ever omg!' by so many people, and every one of those started strong but dwindled into tiresome. (I'm looking at you, Sopranos, The Shield, Rescue Me, etc.)

I wasn't too impressed with the Wire until 3 eps in, when it got REALLY good. I was slightly let down by most of the last season, although the finale more than makes up for it. Throughout, it has excellent characters, writing, and plot, so you can't really be disappointed. Each season is from a different (for lack of a better word) angle, and really fleshes out the recurring casts. I specifically enjoyed s2 and s4.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Rhyno posted:

That's kind of funny. The last time I tried watching the Wire I made it to the third episode before turning to my ex and saying "This is the most overrated bullshit I've ever seen." and turned it off. I guess I'll have to give it another shake.

My wife and I did that twice. Finally we finished the third ep and something clicked and we looked at each other and went oh shiiiiiiiiit. The rest of the series is solid as hell.

I need to go back and rewatch the opening eps to see exactly why it causes that reaction, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

After watching Guardians of the Galaxy, my wife turned from not giving a poo poo about Marvel Universe stuff to being all over it, so we watched all of Agents of SHIELD through. It was my second time, and I think I enjoyed it more, although it really seems like nothing gets going until the big event caused by the events in Captain America: Winter Soldier. Still, as a Marvel fan for life, it was enjoyable.

We then sped our way through Orphan Black, which I had watched in the background while doing other stuff but she hadn't seen before. It's honestly a technical marvel, there's a lot of times that I totally forget the same person is playing multiple characters. The actress does such a good job portraying the different people, it's really fun. Goofy scifi plotline doesn't hurt either.

My sister was over for awhile, so she binged on Hemlock Grove. I watched a bunch of episodes with her (my second time on those), and boy, I never want to see that show again. It's decent for a one watch type thing, but it really doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.

She also watched the first season of Hanniabl, and man, that show is great, but NOT meant to be watched in binge mode. Watching episodes one after another doesn't let you escape from any of the dreariness of the show, and it made it sort of unfun for me.

Finally, the wife and I watched three episodes of Arrow last night, and enjoyed it despite of (or maybe even because of) the general cheesiness. I have no history with the comics, but so far the show is holding our attention. Good to see Ruby from Supernatural putting in work as well.

Edit: can someone fill me on the Marvel animated series? I see a bunch of hilarious screencaps running around of Deadpool and Spiderman being goofy, and maybe some Avengers stuff as well? Any recommendations would be great.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

showbiz_liz posted:

He eventually left the show because it was too violent and rapey for him, unfortunately.

Was that really what he said, and then went on to star in Homeland a few years later?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Coffee And Pie posted:

Supernatural has a scene in which the Winchester brothers find slash fiction of themselves online and are horrified by it. It's a good show.

Supernatural has an entire episode of them going to a Supernatural fan convention. It's a good show.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Pez posted:

My wife and I are on Season 5 of Sopranos thanks to Amazon Prime. I'm in Season 2 of Deadwood but took a break to watch Season 6 of Parks and Recreation over the last few days. Not sure what we're moving to next, we haven't had cable in almost 3 years so we pretty much exclusively watch binges on Netflix and Prime

It isn't as good as the Parks and Rec, but definitely take a look at the League. The sports cameos sort of fly over our heads, but it's still hilarious. Also maybe Modern Family or The Office, if you haven't seen those.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

AstroWhale posted:

Utopia, first season of the british series. Really great. Especially the color scheme,soundtrack and the cinematography Is the second season also that good? I saw the ratings were bad. Is there going to be a third season?

Not sure about a third season, but the second is just as great if not better. The first episode is super cool in a totally different way as well. Highly recommended if you liked the first.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ariza posted:

It's done. They announced today that there will be no third season.

That's too bad, but is also probably good because I'm not sure where else they would have taken the story. Perfect two seasons.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Not sure if I'd put in the same class as The Wire, but The Good Wife is far better than the premise would make you think. The writing and character development is just way, way better than most other shows. It's often extremely hilarious without going out of its way to tell you it's being funny. I'm in the middle of season 5 and while its a bit less fun, it's certainly earned the right to be a bit more...emotional. I was spoiled on the Big Thing that happens and I still watched it with my jaw open.

Oh, and Nightcrawler is in it and he's maybe the best part of the show.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

nwin posted:

Alright-six feet under season 3, episode 1-

Are you loving kidding me? You killed off the main guy???

Hahahah,, I like hearing people watch this for the first time.

EC fucked around with this message at Dec 25, 2014 around 13:38

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ariza posted:

You should too dummy. I didn't see it in his, just the two retards who quoted it and didn't fix it.

Fixed my post, sorry about that.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Mr E posted:

Just finished S6 of Supernatural after a pretty long break after watching S5 last year. Does this show get terrible or anything, because I'm honestly surprised just how much I still enjoy the show, most don't keep my interest for this long.

Some would argue that it doesn't need to exist after S5, but I still like it enough to keep watching it. The over arching plot lines aren't nearly as interesting, but there are some great individual episodes.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Norse Code posted:

Then I started Marco Polo, and I'm less than impressed. Does it get better? Just seems kind of weak.

I dug it, but if you aren't feeling it things don't get dramatically different from the beginning.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

We started Transparent last night and ended up watching half of the series (5 eps) in one sitting. The fifth episode was a bit of a tough watch as it makes the rear end in a top hat kids even more rear end in a top hat-ish, but it's worth a watch. Jeffrey Tambor is just killing it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

I'm not going near any of those spoilers, but we just finished season one and are totally hooked.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

nwin posted:

drat. Six feet under did have a pretty good series finale.

It's one of the best around.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Justified is probably my favorite tv show ever, and I'll be sad when it ends this year.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

krushgroove posted:

I guess there's a lot of love for Justified itt, but I barely made it to the end of the first season, because every...single...episode...had the main character 'JUSTIFIED' for shooting a bad guy. It was SOOOoooo blatant and cliche that I only finished because I was watching on Netflix and doing busywork at a desk, so the next episode would automatically come on. I watched S02E01 probably...last autumn? and haven't felt a need to catch up yet.

This goes away and even though Raylan still shoots people on occasion, it never really feels like a "setup" after season one.

Personally I love it because everybody talks like they're in an Elmore Leonard novel (which of course they are).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shadow posted:

HBO was gutting expensive shows that year. We lost Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale, and it sucked. Rome at least didn't end on a cliffhanger, and Deadwood more or less "resolved" the George Hearst storyline, but it sucked we didn't get more.

They also tried to placate fans at the time with some horseshit about making 2 or 3 movies to "finish up the series," but they never had any intention of doing so and literally just did that to stop people from complaining.

Wasn't Deadwood canceled because Raylin wanted to do that horrible, horrible John from Cincinnati show?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wheat Loaf posted:

At long last, I've gotten around to starting True Blood.

Cold open of episode one: redneck vampire buying a six-pack of blood at the liquor store.

I know that even if it is not good, it should at least be entertaining.

The first couple of seasons are entertaining, sometimes even good. Then it goes dramatically off the rails.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shadow posted:

What is Borgias about? Aren't there also two versions of it?

It's about a family (the Borgias) who manipulated themselves to the top of the Italian society (guy is literally the pope) despite/because they're horrible people. The showtime version is pretty good, and Jeremy Irons is very good in it. There's another version that has the police chief from the Wire as the main guy, and that one was terrible. Pretty funny seeing a pope talk like a guy from Baltimore, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shadow posted:

Huh... interesting. I never even heard of the story (historically) so that's something.

Speaking of history: Marco Polo is a fun watch. Netflix original and quite entertaining. Also made me read up on Marco Polo's life in more detail, which was cool.

It's a good story, and the Showtime show is pretty good. If you play games at all, you may remember punching out Pope Borgia in Assassin's Creed 2.

I enjoyed Marco Polo as well, I hope they do more.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shadow posted:

I actually recently got a new XB1 and it came with like 4 games. That was the first mission right? I haven't played in a few months. Don't play much.

Nah, that would have been either AC4 or AC:Unity, neither of which are in the same time period. Don't feel bad, though, there are like, 17,000 AC games out there.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Vanderdeath posted:

Did you watch any of Borgia because it was the superior show by season 2. I loved Showtime's show almost exclusively because of Jeremy Irons but Borgia's supporting cast is great. Also, John Doman doesn't speak with an Baltimore Accent in the show, he just uses his natural accent in lieu of using a fake British one.

I gave up on the non-Showtime one pretty quick, so if it gets better that's good to hear.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

empty sea posted:

Trying to finish Fringe again. Does it get better? I'm six episodes into the first season and I just...I just keep losing interest in the main characters. At least this time I don't want to stab Olivia.

Can anyone recommend a great sci-fi/supernatural show? I've already gone through the bigger ones: BSG, Red Dwarf, Farscape, Firefly. I loved Black Mirror, Supernatural, Hemlock Grove, Life on Mars, The 100, tried Lost out and got bored, the same with Sleepy Hollow... I want a newer show and don't mind gore.

You might be interested in Continuum. It gets pretty great, although I haven't gotten around to finishing it all yet.

Also seconding Orphan Black, with the caveat to stay past the "pretending to be someone else" plot in the first few episodes. I hated that, but kept watching and it got amazing.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm looking for absurdly violent and over-the-top action shows. I'm already aware of Banshee (obviously) and Spartacus, I have all of Strike Back handy but it didn't really grab me for some reason (need to try it again), and I'm going to be constantly F5ing Netflix until Daredevil drops (it's a TV-MA rated DeKnight show so I'm assuming it'll scratch this itch nicely). Is there anything else?

The Shield has some very violent moments, and is a good show besides.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

We finished up Bloodlines today, and it was up there with some of my favorite TV shows. The brother, Danny, was played by one hell of an actor. Nice that it ended on a cliffhanger, but also managed to resolve the main storyline.

I hope it gets a season two.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ishamael posted:

Just finished Daredevil and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a better Batman than Batman, and D'Onofrio's version of Wilson Fisk was my favorite comic villain in any TV or film to date. I really loved what they did with that character.

Same and same. D'Onofrio was absolutely amazing, and I'm glad the series has already been approved for a second season. I think the costume reveal was a bit of a letdown, though. The face just looks weird.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Trilobite posted:

Anyway, we're currently grinding through American Horror Story: Freakshow. So far the best thing has been the cheerfully anachronistic musical numbers, and I'm not holding out much hope for it improving, but the whole season is there and we're still bloody-minded enough to stick with it. (So far, anyway. There's always a chance that the scary clown quotient will get too high for everyone and we'll finally get to sink ourselves into Daredevil instead.)

I wish there had been more scary clowns in that season. Anything to take Jessica Lange off screen for more than 5 minutes at a time. We got so sick of her, that accent, and her wailing around all over the screen that we never finished it. As much as I enjoyed her in the previous two seasons, she was downright awful in Freakshow. Glad she's taking a break for Hotel or whatever.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bonto posted:

Would you guys recommend Deadwood as a good watch afterwards? I've heard a majority of the cast-members in Justified are in that too.

I wouldn't say a majority, but if you like Olyphant he's awesome in Deadwood as well. It's a great show in general.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Season 3 is loving out there so far. I love it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Trig Discipline posted:

They're pushing the arty end of it right up to, but not quite over, the limit that I find tolerable. I'm starting to wonder if the showrunners didn't design some of the scenes from the incidental shots outward, like "oh man we've got this amazing shot of a serrano ham being sliced, how can we work that into the plot?"

I can see that. It really feels like they know this is (probably) their last season so they're gonna swing for uh, whatever you swing at. Trees? They're going all-in is what I'm saying.

It's weird that all of Fuller's other shows have this quirky-funny-dark thing happening, and Hannibal is reprising the blood elevator from the Shining.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Zzulu posted:

It gets better and better. First season isn't great but it builds into something watchable I think and I enjoyed S2

Yeah the first half of Season 1 is kinda a monster of the week scenario, but then Winter Solider happened and really shakes the show up. Season 2 is a delight and I thought they did an excellent job of tying into Age of Ultron.

Also, they've gone all in on mutantsinhumans so I'm not sure what the hell they're going to do in the movies now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Martytoof posted:

Is there a term for the feeling you get when you finish watching a series on Netflix and realize it's done?

Despair

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Yvonmukluk posted:

But dammit they're all so likeable (yes, even Ted). I mean considering you've got Cobie Smulders, Alyson Hannigan, Jason Segal and Neil Patrick Harris as the supporting cast, it's not surprising that Josh Radnor is the least talented of the bunch-I mean somebody has to be, doesn't make him a bad actor by any stretch. He gets the job done and the overall ensemble has enough charisma to keep me watching.

Oh god now I'm defending it.

Honestly, none of the actors are out and out bad, but they are given absolutely poo poo material 95% of the time after the first few seasons. I kept watching it for some reason (something I probably wouldn't do now that I'm not drinking till I'm comatose at the house anymore), and it just kept getting worse somehow.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Scrapez posted:

I'll check that out. Thanks!

I watched the first three or four of these last night, and it was good. The leads are age appropriate for each other, and the guy isn't the stereotypical "women suck" type character that I was expecting from the description. The supporting roles are all great as well (besides Purposely Obnoxious Guy, anyway).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Mr. Robot is absurdly good for a USA show. It has some issues but overall it's a lot of fun to watch.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

corn in the bible posted:

whenever you see the lovely downtown with the courthouse, that's where i live

When you see the creep in the diner being creepy with Coach's daughter in season 1, that's my (step) father in law.

Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Duke posted:

As a watcher from the beginning I have to say that even though the show took a sharp turn into total crap I never once hated Michael C. Hall as an actor. I wish he were on another show already

Just rewatch Six Feet Under, or that scene where he does a full on dance number in the movie Gamer.

«2 »