Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I'm up through episode 4 and I'm really enjoying it. It gave off some Breaking Bad vibes at first, but it's become its own thing quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The only actor that felt like they were reading canned dialogue to me was the main character’s girlfriend (Hannah Gross). It was distracting.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Has anyone got in on the new season of Broadchurch? I absolutely loved the show before, just wondering if the new season holds up.

I watched it. It’s like an 8-hour long episode of SVU, but I still liked the leads.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Do it. It's really good.

Does it pick up? I got to about episode 4 and felt that Sean Bean was the only worthwhile part

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everyone needs to watch Cobra Kai if you even slightly liked The Karate Kid.

I just watched the first episode and it’s so good!

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Holy crap I remember when that happened! *sidles on over to Netflix*

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I binged all of Glow season 2 this weekend, which turned into a Marc Maron binge. Watched his two comedy specials on Netflix and the first season of Maron. I was surprised that I identify with him in a lot of ways, for better or worse.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Just finished The Sinner, which is a pretty good mystery with Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman. It has some religious overtones and a few decent twists. I give it a B.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Oh, I didn’t know there was a season 2. I just watched the first one on Netflix. Side note: I was referred to it by a friend of mine that grew up in a very religious household. She said parts of it made her really uncomfortable...

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Is it a new story/cast or a continuation? Cause uhhh it seemed pretty wrapped up

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

When you finish GLOW, look up the documentary about the real ladies on Netflix. It's outstanding.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Damnation - Netflix. A preacher and his wife try to foment social change in Depression-era America.

I’m only a few episodes in but i *really* like this show. It has that same kinda “dusty dying Old West” feel that Red Dead Redemption has, and Christopher Heyerdahl is killing it as the town sheriff (really the whole cast does a good job).

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 21, 2018

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Second that. Watched five episodes when I got home. Hadn’t even heard of it, but the gf and I were talking about doing a Groundhog’s Day-themed movie marathon tomorrow. This was a great lead-in.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Semi-related, Happy Death Day is on sale on most streaming platforms. You can rent it for a buck. I thought it was a pretty fun movie, like if GHD met Scream.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I watched the first season and enjoyed it. She fretted a lot about being a bigamist and an adulterer, but is it really cheating if you’re stuck two hundred years in the past, though?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The new Christmas episode of Euphoria is fantastic. Really solid bottle episode full of great points.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Halt and Catch Fire is the last show I watched that stuck the landing. It stuck it so well I started a rewatch the next day.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I couldn’t get through the second season. I just didn’t care about any of these people.

Season 2 is the weakest season by far, and to me it’s because the main crew are mostly off each doing their own thing, with one exception. They find their footing again with season 3 and it just gets better from there.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

My biggest takeaway from Season 2 was how impressed I was that they cast one of the few actors in Hollywood taller than Lee Pace as Jacob Wheeler (James Cromwell).

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Memnaelar posted:

I had to stop Made for Love after three episodes. If someone can tell me it's worth going back to, I might give it a shot but it feels like everything it's trying to say has already been said better in other media. Hell, the star, Cristin Milioti's, already done it better herself in Black Mirror!

It just feels like an unlikable waste of time, even at only 4 hours for the whole season. 90 minutes felt like enough.

I'm kinda there with you. I'm up through episode 5 and it's watchable if only for Christin Milioti and Ray Romano, but really feels like it should've come out 10 years ago.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Man, why did I sleep on The Americans for so long? I binged season one yesterday and was hooked from the start. Probably helps that I loved Matthew Rhys in Perry Mason, and I’m not sure Keri Russell isn’t actually a trained spy, she’s that good. I like how they weave real events in there too. If you liked/loved Halt and Catch Fire and For All Mankind, I think you’d enjoy it.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Yeah, from what I read it didn’t have great ratings but the CEO of FX liked it enough that he let the creators finish their six season plan. They should probably go teach the hacks at Star Trek a thing or two but I digress.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Also See on AppleTV. Interesting premise where the whole world went blind from a global pandemic, then fast forward a few hundred years to the birth of the first children with sight. Mamoa plays Baba Voss, protector of the Alkenny tribe, and the kids’ adoptive father.

It has that epic Game of Thrones feel, with gorgeous scenery, a remarkable attention to detail, brutal combat, and multilayered antagonists. The season 2 trailer just dropped, with Dave Bautista joining the cast.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

There’s an alternate ending to HACF on Youtube that is lovely. It doesn’t change the plot, it simply replaces the track playing over the final scene with the creators’ original choice, which they couldn’t get due to costs. I won’t link it for spoilers sake, but here it is:

youtu.be/Bmv39bPl1kc

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

God drat this is somehow even more powerful. Thanks for sharing this. That photo of Gordon chokes me up every single time I watch this scene.

You’re welcome. It still gets me too. And as someone who’s finding his life path is taking him back home after being away for six years, the whole ending hits a bit harder.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

Finished Halt and Catch Fire. What a great show.

Phoneposting in a meeting but earlier in the thread I posted a link to an alternate ending on YouTube to check out. It doesn’t change the plot, just replaces the final track with the song the creators wanted but couldnt afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Xealot posted:

Ted Lasso is worth it. And for some reason, I'm still watching See, which is far from perfect but is a kind of interesting hybrid of Walking Dead and Game of Thrones (it's a grimy post-apocalyptic drama that also has a fair amount of world-building and lore.)

AppleTV+ isn't necessarily "worth it" (I have access as a promotion for buying Apple products I was already going to buy), but it really snuck up on me because I watch several of their series.

I thought the first season of See dragged a bit in the middle but had a lot of potential. I’m only two episodes into the new season but it already seems like they got a better handle on what people liked in season one and are building from that.