Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

I've recently been binging on Battlestar Galatica, Lost and Veronica Mars.

BSG I've stopped because I need to get season 2.5 so I've held off watcing the last two episodes on season 2.0. I just finished Lost season 2 and it'll likely be awhile before I start season 3. I'm currently working my way through Veronica Mars season 2.

It's a great show, but it's completely won me over with a Rushmore reference.

"Oh I'm sorry. Did someone say my name?"

Atarask posted:

Farscape, now on the last season. Started a little rough and generic but overall it really took off. The fact that almost all "filler episodes" are worked into being important later on, in a manner moreso than other shows that attempt to do so, was pleasantly surprising.

...and who can't love:
"Godlike aliens... I hate godlike aliens! I'll take a critter any week over godlike aliens!"

Sci-fi is making new webisodes of Farscape. I'm not sure if they're done yet or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Trophy Boner posted:

I tried to watch Farscape because I wanted a good scifi show to watch, but I couldn't get through the first episode because it was just so incredibly cheesy and generic. I'm guessing it gets better, but when exactly does that happen?

Somewhere around the episode "A Bug's Life" if not an episode before. The storyline technically starts around "A Human Reaction" but you won't know that at the time.

Jedi posted:

They are? I thought the ending was pretty final, and I can't think of anything left dangling that comes to mind. Then again, it's been awhile since I saw it, so I may be forgetting something.

Nothing serious. I imagine it'll just be a small arc like The Office webisodes or little stand alone stuff humorous stuff.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

I got to episode 7 before giving up. Maybe I'm a simpleton for preferring the grandeur and high production of shows like Rome and Deadwood but what can I say? The Wire was boring.

Some people just prefer being entertained without having to invest the time and mental resources necessary as if they were reading a complex novel. There's nothing wrong with it. It's just people are wired different ways when it comes to mediums of entertainment. I'll likely never read novelists like Kellerman or Stephen King or Dan Baldacci just because I don't care for the types of books they write. It doesn't mean I don't like reading. I just don't care to read their stuff.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Anorak Revolution posted:

Isn't that what EVERY single 'Bones' viewer tell themselves in order to justify watching this show so long?

I'm eventually going to give it a try based on exactly what you said.

I like it because the character interaction is fun, the science is goofy enough to entertain and the women are hot.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jedi posted:

If you don't like Farscape by the second season - you probably won't like it.

As far as good sci-fi - Babylon 5 comes to mind.

Agreed on both counts.

If you're willing to move into anime, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is fantastic cyberpunk.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Minimaul posted:

I just got the first season of 24. I remember watching the first episode when it first came out, but didn't watch anymore after that because I didn't have TV at the time. I finally got around to getting it and I watched the first 4 episodes, instead of going to bed like I should have. So far so good...

I almost got the L Word, I watched it few years ago, and I haven't seen more than an episode or two of the most recent season, so it'd be nice to catch up. Plus, lesbians. Hell yeah.

Haha, everyone's favorite gorgeous bisexual terrorist from 24, Mandy, is on The L Word.

Also, be prepared because 24 goes downhill after the second season and it takes a gently caress long time to climb it's way back out.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

CloseFriend posted:

So I just finished the third series of Doctor Who last night. I cannot believe that season. Based on Rose Tyler and what I've seen of Donna Noble, I think Martha Jones was the best sidekick ever. I'm almost sad she and Captain Jack were only both regulars for the time of the last story arc since I thought both were badasses.

Donna Noble as a companion will surprise you as a companion. Most of us dislike how Martha Jones ended up because she could have been an awesome companion, but was reduced to puppy-dog, unrequited romance crap.

quote:

I was seriously blown away by the Master's arc. I thought John Simm's performance was awesome, just the right mix of the corny original run and the new life the producers are trying to breathe into this series. I loved all the plot twists, and I just couldn't believe how well all the loose ends got tied up and everything reached a conclusion.

Watch out for bringing this opinion into the Doctor Who thread

There are few fans of how Last of the Time Lords ended (read: Floating Jesus moment).

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Taking a quick break from Legend of Galactic Heroes, I quickly binged through Kamen Rider Decade. Although after reading wiki, I'm not sure how well I'll enjoy the movies. Ah, what the hell, I'll still watch them.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Well, both Jack and Locke are badass as hell, and one of my only concerns with the show is that I hope they don't gently caress either character up, especially Locke. I think he does a great job as a shadow protagonist. Their clashing mentality is wonderful and I hope he doesn't turn into a bad dude because I could honestly see the writers doing that.

I'm sure you meant Sawyer instead of Jack.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

You have so far to go

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I should quantify, I don't hate Jack. But I've liked Sawyer from the beginning and he has one of the best character arcs on the entire show. He's arguably one of the most developed characters as well. Plus, Jack is whiny about Kate. Sawyer's all, "It ain't gonna suck itself."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

SharkMaster posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will probably give them all a shot.

What's the general opinion on Generation Kill?

I thought it was fantastic. I've never it heard be described as anything but a realistic portrayal of life for US forces in Iraq.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Boywunda posted:

I also just finished Season 1...kick my rear end how? The frown makes me think I'm not going to like it but heroin is addicting and can really kick your rear end, so maybe season 2 will be even more addicting than season 1?

Try not to create a firm opinion of season 2 right away. It's my favorite, but a lot of people didn't like it after season 1.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm in the middle of season three of The Wire. I love the first season, but the second season was strange.

What was the point of the human trafficking storyline anyway? I thought that it was kind of strange and had nothing to do with the first season and all the normal stuff that they did in the first season. I'm glad to see that they went back to the thing that they did in the first at the start of the third.

The more you watch the show, the more you'll understand the show is not just about cops and drug dealers.

But to directly answer your question, the second season is the death of the working class.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Currently powering my way through Community. Season one is pretty hard because Jeff and Britta are just hard to watch. I recognize the show seems to be parodying their archetypes from more "normal" shows, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch. Especially the end of season 1. Abed summed it perfectly, "I wanted to start out of the gate with more adventures, like paintball. This is boring." I'm glad it's all but been ignored after the first couple of season 2 episodes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Cactus posted:

Was going to just agree, but then I thought hang on, which one?

Hurm... John/Harvey, Dargo/John, Scorpius/John?

I just binged my way through Community. It's hard to start, but the show doesn't really find it's pacing until roughly the second season.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Two episodes away from finishing Battlestar Galactica. I've already been spoiled for the ending so I kind of know what to expect. I have to admit, the 4th season is pretty good. A serious jump in writing quality from the 2nd and 3rd seasons.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Frankly, the chicken mcnugget speech is equally as important. While the notion that in the drug gang empire, you can only ever be second fiddle to the main man, I love the notion that those who have the wealth and authority will only ever exploit those who create or innovate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I just started watching Arrow and I'm surprised by how good it is. The action scenes are decent, it borrows well from the DCU, and the story is progressing along pretty well. Plus, all the adults act like adults, which means all the obligatory relationship stuff moves quickly and tolerably.