Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Alexandr posted:

As sad as the admission is, loving Lexx. I have no idea why, as my only remembrance of the show has ever been, and will ever be, that it's ridiculously bad. There's something about it that's alluring, though, and I have no idea why. Excepting Brigadoom. That was one of the few musical episodes of any series that was effective at delivery story as well as a decent score.

That was the first episode I ever saw and it is what hooked me on the show. I think what's alluring about the show, at least to me, is that it is unabashedly far-out weird science fiction, the likes of which is never, ever seen on television. I mean what other show could have a plot involving von Neumann machines literally destroying the universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Drighton posted:

Just recently I caught up with Doctor Who and might go into the 80s series at the suggestion of a friend.

You might do better going with the '60s and '70s instead.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

mcbexx posted:

Just finished Firefly, will watch Serenity (the movie) later this evening.

Holy poo poo, network execs are idiots.

Sure, the ratings probably were bad when it originally aired (were they?), but what exactly did they expect when they ran the episodes out of order and showed the PILOT at the END of the season? What the gently caress?

The "What really happened" special on the DVDs is gutwrenching.
You can tell how devastated the cast and crew were by how lovely the whole affair was handled.

I knew that Firefly was prematurely cancelled and this is what kept me from catching up on the series in the first place, but I got a sweet deal on the season box set and the movie and thought I should give it a shot. Now I am depressed for another excellent show ruined by a network. Don't DVD sales factor in when those dickheads make decisions these days?

Ah well, at least Farscape had it's run with four seasons.
Hopefully Serenity will bring some closure. The season/series finale sure as hell did not.
Was Firefly cancelled mid-season or was "Objects in Space" the intended season finale?

Coming up next:
Pushing Daisies or The Shield, depending on my mood after watching Serenity.

Edit:
Serenity was mighty impressive for a tacked on feature film for a tv series that has been nipped in the bud by the network. I really feel sorry for the cast and crew.

Is there a way to check how well the series and the movie sold on DVD?

Yes, Firefly was canceled mid-season. I think three of the episodes even went unaired. The ratings were pretty bad. As one who watched it as it originally aired, I blame you personally and everyone else who didn't watch it.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

NotInventedHere posted:

Babylon 5. I've been burning through the first couple of seasons on Hulu, watching 1-2 episodes a day. I only watched it occasionally when it first aired, so I didn't really get the full effect. I think already knowing the overall plot has actually improved my enjoyment of the show, since I think I would have missed a lot of cool moments otherwise.

Yeah, the first season especially is much better when you get to see all the foreshadowing and buildup.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

SolidRed posted:

Farscape is readily available in Australia over at Ezydvd. I'm sure you'll be able to find a copy where ever you/he live/s. Ezydvd does ship overseas if worse comes to worse.

I have been attempting to watch Babylon 5, but I only purchased Season 1 and so far have been unable to get past the second dvd. I guess it's just not my bag, which is a shame as I love most SciFis that other fans seem to love along side it.

I would attempt to get Farscape if i was in your shoes, as good as Firefly is. It doesn't have an end, and it leaves you wanting. Don't punish yourself with a series that sets up a few story lines you will be looking forward to, and then ends out of the blue. Farscape while not as down to earth as Firefly, is a great watch that is worth checking out.

If you can make it through the first season of Farscape to get to the good stuff, you should give the same try at Babylon 5.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah, Farscape definitely requires a certain taste. B5 starts out on somewhat more familiar ground for Trek fans, stylistically and thematically.

Maybe it's because I had already seen it and knew what to expect, but when I rewatched B5 I thought most of the first season was at least acceptable. There is a lot of stuff that you probably don't really pick up on the first time through. The main problem I think is the actors hadn't settled into their roles, and the effects, on top of being dated, ranged from bad to mediocre even at the time. In those respects I'd say it's similar to the way TNG starts off, so it doesn't seem like it should be too big an obstacle for you.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Jedi posted:

I was under the impression that the vast majority of these episodes were impossible to find due to being destroyed in some kind of accident. Hell, I'd love to get some Tom Baker/John Pertwee (?) action if I could. I remember being 13 and tuning my TV to barely visible WNJN to catch 1 episode every Saturday night.

108 episodes from the '60s are lost, but all of them from the '70s and newer do exist. It wasn't really an accident, more like an oversight. Two separate archive departments each decided they could junk reels and reuse video tapes because they assumed the other would be keeping them.

Fan recordings of the audio still exist for all episodes, though, so even the lost ones can be watched with still photographs and so on.

Mu Zeta posted:

If you like Firefly then you might like Whedon's other two shows, Buffy and Angel.

"Might" is the correct word.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

I had the flu last week and I had nothing better to do, so I blew through over 30 episodes of Fist of the North Star, bringing me up to about 50 total and it just keeps getting better. Funny how Kenshiro punching bad guys never seems to get old.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

At this point it almost might be better to hold off on Lost until it's finished.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Zealous Abattoir posted:

I've officially seen or at least tried every single series I've been meaning to see :-(

What now, TV IV, what now?

You might start by listing things you've seen and liked. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not a very good mind reader.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Zealous Abattoir posted:

oh, I was just whining about there being nothing left to see. This isn't exactly a recommendation thread.

can I interest you in some Anime??

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Cart posted:

I'm in the mood for a good procedural, and there seem to be a ton available right now all with slightly different premises, anyone have any good recommendations?

I'm talking about the likes of Bones, Life, Lie to Me, Castle, The Unusuals, The Mentalist etc... Usually appreciate something with a bit of a lighter tone, interesting characters and the like.

I like Castle and the Unusuals, and I'm not a procedural guy at all. The procedural parts of Castle are kind of ho-hum but Nathan Fillion is a blast to watch, he really makes the show. And the Unusuals is ... unusual. It doesn't seem to be everyone's "thing" but I guess I like it mostly because of the sheer eccentricity of the characters.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Count Choculitis posted:

I really have no idea which I should watch, since I don't know a thing about Star Trek except what I saw in the movie last night so I was hoping you guys could tell me the differences or pros/cons of each series.

I am a fan of the original series so I want to recommend you at least give it a try despite its age - it's great, if you can put yourself in a frame of mind to accept an older style of television and low budget effects (though this is mitigated on the remastered Blu-rays with new CGI that is good but not overly flashy, nothing like the new movie for example). It features all the characters you saw in this movie, but to truly appreciate it you'll still often need a healthy ability to look past goofy costumes and very plain and archaic-looking sets. Opinions vary but of the 79 episodes, you should be able to fully and legitimately enjoy at least 20-30 of them even if you have fairly high standards on the writing.

I think it's worth it to start with the original pilot, "The Cage," an adventure in Captain Pike's time with a small part for a very young Lt. Spock, although no other characters you'd recognize. If you like that then just start watching the series proper, beginning with the second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I'm not gonna lie, there are some bad episodes, more often in the later seasons, but that's part of Star Trek and if you're going to dive in I think you miss a lot by not watching them at least once.

The first six movies feature the same original cast, and the even-numbered ones are generally considered superior, but again I would say why not watch them all, good and bad. There's no particular reason not to watch the movies first if you want, although they do take place many years after the series, and Star Trek II follows up on events in the episode "Space Seed," and forms a loose trilogy with the following two movies.

The Next Generation especially at first is a product of the '80s, so in a way it's probably actually aged worse than the original. It began as a sort of updated version of the original series, just with new characters in a later time, but became its own show a couple of seasons in. Both this and the original stand apart a little bit, in that they are almost entirely episodic - as I said, a different era of television. There are a few more ongoing threads in TNG, mostly characters, but by and large most of the episodes can still be watched in any order if for some reason you feel like it. I am old fashioned so I say just watch front to back.

The movies in the TNG era aren't numbered, but Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis are the movies featuring that crew (there are no movies of the later shows). Some of the movies seem like "big-screen episodes" but First Contact is usually mentioned in lists of best Trek movies.

Deep Space Nine is the favorite of a good number of fans. It turns the premise on its head a little, in that it is set on a space station instead of a starship. It begins contemporarily with I think season 5 or 6 of TNG, but (eventually) features a much more involved overall story, and is probably the oldest Trek that doesn't look terribly dated to modern eyes. In the later seasons it becomes a war drama of sorts, and many would argue it has the best developed characters of any of the shows.

Voyager is where most fans seem to agree the franchise began going downhill, although a lot of people still have a fondness for it. It wasn't quite as serialized as DS9, but still more so than TNG. Most of the complaints against Voyager consist of being technobabble-heavy and being too much like the worse moments of TNG, despite the ship being lost on the other side of the galaxy trying to get home. I'd only start this one if you finish the others and still want more. It's got some good times and usually isn't offensively bad, it just seems a little tired sometimes.

Enterprise is pretty polarizing. It's a prequel series set about 100 years before the original. The first couple of seasons follow along the lines of Voyager, sort of mediocre and bland, until they tried to shake it up, to mixed results in season 3 and generally positive in season 4. I'd give this roughly the same weight as Voyager: for fans only (that's what killed it btw).

I hope you've enjoyed my list. My recommendation is to start at the beginning and just plow straight in, because I am old school like that.

Son of Sam-I-Am fucked around with this message at May 11, 2009 around 05:06

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

It's also possible to say they are probably good shows but I really have no interest in watching them.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Bonk posted:

Started watching Arrested Development on Hulu, they've got the whole drat series on there. I never watched it until now, partially because up until I watched The Office I didn't like the style it was shot in. Now that I'm used to it, I'm into it. So far the show seems more reliant on awkwardness, but it has a lot of great lines and it's interesting even when it isn't laugh out loud funny (though fortunately it fairly often is). I'm sure people will jump at the chance to say how fantastic it is, but please don't. I'd been hearing massive overhype for the show for years and that's one of the reasons I didn't get into it until now.

If it'll help with the hype issue, I found AD almost completely uninteresting and unfunny and I gave up after two or three episodes.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

-Blackadder- posted:

Where would you guys put it compared to Babylon 5?

Re: Farscape, it could be altered by your taste, of course; if craziness and and irreverent sensibility turn you off then you may never like it all that much. And the ending suffers a bit from having to compress season 5 into a 3-hour miniseries. But all things considered I would say it's no more than a step or two below B5.

I am of course coming from the perspective of considering B5 definitely a top-3 and possibly #1 science fiction show of all time. Farscape is at least a good candidate for top 5 for me, and might be even higher if it hadn't been cut short. I love the characters, the creatures, and the interplay of comedy and drama. It's been a while since I saw it but I think everything starts to really go off the rails sometime in season 2, and I mean that in the best possible way.

If it were just airing today it'd still be ahead of its time.

Son of Sam-I-Am fucked around with this message at May 30, 2009 around 04:48

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

ShortRoundMcfly posted:

I just finished terminator tscc. Just found out it's been canceled. gently caress my life, folks.

It's you. You're the one. If you'd watched it when it was airing, it wouldn't be canceled.

Much like all you Firefly latecomers.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

I was not that impressed with Jekyll but maybe it's just me.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

ufarn posted:

I saw the pilot a while ago, and the pilot was weak. Maybe the rest of the series is good, whaddoiknow.

Yeah I guess, I only watched the first one or two and I didn't exactly dislike it, but I didn't care enough for it to make any effort to watch the rest.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Bonk posted:

FINALLY started my Babylon 5 binge after a few false starts because I didn't have the time. The jump in quality from the pilot movie to the first episode is amazing, both in CG and presentation.

I think this is one of the best arguments for watching the pilot movie. It's all relative.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Bonk posted:

I didn't even think The Gathering was all that bad, story-wise anyway. The acting was terrible and the effects look straight out of an old Sierra PC game, but it's not a bad story in itself. I think the writing is what's keeping me into it, even if the look of it is pretty weak so far. All I can say is thank god they ditched some of the weaker cast members before fleshing out the rest of the series.

Yeah the writing is usually B5's strong point. I have always been a "watch everything" kind of viewer though, I remember when you were considering beginning B5, I tried to prepare you for some of the problems it had early on, but I never told you "skip this episode" or "don't watch the pilot" like some others did.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Jarl posted:

A few friends just recommended it to me yesterday, but looking it up on imdb I was not impressed.

Farscape starts out like you might expect from its late-'90s sci-fi roots, but A. it's a product of the Henson workshops, and B. by the second season it goes off the rails and becomes brilliant. I may have said this before, but if it were made today it'd still be ahead of its time.

Translate the aesthetic of The Dark Crystal to a sci-fi setting, and invert Star Trek and throw in a healthy dose of LSD, and put it all in a blender. That's Farscape. If that doesn't sound appealing then it's probably not for you, it's definitely one of those things I can see why not everyone would like it. But if it does, you should give it a chance.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

I think most people will just tell you to stop watching Torchwood.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Not that it's important, but I would say if anything BSG has undersaturated color. Are you sure you didn't watch the 1978 series by mistake?

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Ah, they definitely did use that. I'm not sure what you would call that, gamma maybe? But saturation has to do with colors and not necessarily brightness. Edit to include Count Choculitis: that would be a filter of some kind, I believe. Anyway there is no use arguing because there's no possible way for anyone to change his mind on stylistic choices.

Son of Sam-I-Am fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2009 around 02:58

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

If it's not doing it for you by now, I'm not sure how much the rest of it is going to change your mind. They certainly don't let up on the stylistic elements, so you'll just have to tolerate them or hope they grow on you. For me, the style is a significant part of why I do like it; it's just a matter of taste. I'm not trying to talk you out of watching the rest of it, but I wouldn't expect any one thing in it to suddenly change your opinion.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Anyone think it's a good idea to edit the OP with a relatively comprehensive list of half hour and 1 hr shows that are goon-approved so we can avoid the usual "what should I watch now" question that pops up every five posts?

So far for hour-long, I would put:

How many would actually recommend Heroes anymore?

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

waar posted:

I made a list just like this a while ago on another forum with rankings, obviously these are just my opinions so don't yell at me if you disagree but if we want a list this would be a good place to start:

Say what you will about some of those, but it seems a shame to lump Babylon 5 together with Voyager and Stargate. If you're just categorizing it as "lasers and aliens" then I guess, but that's quite a quality gulf between them.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw a couple episodes of Castle, it's nothing special and I think the only reason a lot of people here watch it is for Nathan Fillion. Not that there is much wrong with that, I'm watching a terrible show called the Philanthropist because it has Mark Antony from Rome.

That's pretty much true, although Castle isn't terrible at all. Without Fillion I never would've watched it, but he is just a really entertaining guy, and his chemistry with both Stana Katic and the girl who plays his daughter makes the show a lot of fun to watch.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

TheTarrasque posted:

I also watched Firefly on Hulu, and was awestruck enough that I'm considering checking out Whedon's other work, but I'm not sure about Buffy, the few bits of episode I've managed to see always seemed kinda stupid.

It's quite possible to like Firefly and still have disinterest and disdain for Buffy, etc.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Russell Davies is a good writer.

Granted I've seen nothing of his but Doctor Who, but sentences like this just do not make sense to me. He has consistently been the worst writer on that show, almost without exception through four seasons. How that could come from a "good writer" is beyond me.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

HeebHustler posted:

halfway through season 1 of Carnivale

simply amazing at times, but i fear of what is to come when the show abruptly ends after season 2. quick, someone recommend me something to start watching when this ends.

i have seen all of these in their entirety the last couple of years: Oz, The Wire, 24, Six Feet Under, Rome, Freaks and Geeks, Seinfeld, S1 Sopranos, S1 Dexter, S1 Heroes, Arrested Development, Scrubs, and both versions of The Office.

it seems like watching all of the Sopranos would be the obvious choice, but given that list and being most fond of HBO shows, what would you pick?

Have you given Battlestar Galactica a try? Ronald D. Moore was exec. producer on both that and Carnivale; no guarantee you'll like it because of that, but it's worth mentioning.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Uh, how so? Almost all good mysteries are improbable but still plausible, i.e. deduction can lead to decent conclusion even if you're stumped most of the time. Lost is just so random and so loving far out there that the 'guessing' part of the mystery becomes tedious, and after awhile, meaningless.

That's kind of the point of Lost, though. I think trying to force it into the category of "plausible," let alone "mystery," is doing it a disservice. It's not like a detective novel, it's a sci-fi conspiracy/adventure show. If it even approached plausible it would in no way be as entertaining as it is. You're watching it wrong.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Also, can you guys tell me some of your favorite 90's shows?

Babylon 5.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Hmm, I wonder why they had to rediscover their focus if it was so well-planned and organized all along...

Because the network was making them drag things out because of how much money it was making them. It's not complicated.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Really, that's the excuse? "Oh no, I'm getting a shitload of episodes to work with while other shows are getting cancelled so I'm gonna go ahead and write three straight seasons of convoluted clusterfuck oh thank christ they're finally letting me quit time to wrap it up in 6 months see ya"

I should really know better by now.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Sorry we're not all on the inside track like you.

The "inside track" is more about the futility of arguing on the internet than about whether or not you appreciate Lost.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

I think, if I hadn't seen it, the sheer controversy over whether or not Battlestar ends well would intrigue me rather than put me off. But that may just be my personality.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Count Choculitis posted:

Gonna go against most people in this thread and say I really liked the way they ended BSG. No, they didn't have everything planned out from the start (the way Lost does)

Funny how things change; it wasn't that long ago that the conventional wisdom stated the exact reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

My brother told me today he just finished season 3. Now, I liked season 4 and the finale, and I told him as much, but I did also say that fan opinion was split and he should prepare himself. I think that's the only "truth" about it.

«2 »