Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Not really a "great" series or anything, but I'm blitzing my way through House like a meth fiend with an old radio. Never watched it before because the commercials made it look way too over the top. Truthfully, it's fun and quirky, but I wouldn't call it amazing by any stretch of the imagination. I'm pretty much only watching it, because I've exhausted everything else that even slightly interests me.

Although, I did just finish Mad Men - now that's an amazing show. DVD comes out on July 1st and if you haven't had a chance to catch it, I highly recommend picking it up. Plus - the DVD case is shaped like a Zippo.

Also - seconding and thirding both Farscape and The Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

V-Men posted:

Sci-fi is making new webisodes of Farscape. I'm not sure if they're done yet or what.

They are? I thought the ending was pretty final, and I can't think of anything left dangling that comes to mind. Then again, it's been awhile since I saw it, so I may be forgetting something.

Oh yeah - I binged my way through Burn Notice in two days last week. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Trophy Boner posted:

I tried to watch Farscape because I wanted a good scifi show to watch, but I couldn't get through the first episode because it was just so incredibly cheesy and generic. I'm guessing it gets better, but when exactly does that happen?

As V-Man says - it gets better. I'm not gonna lie and compare it to something like B5 which if you slug through the first season attains monumental levels of awesome, but it does get better. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I saw it either, but I ran out of stuff to watch about 2 years ago and a buddy lent me the DVD's.

It's worth a watch for sure. Just don't go into it expecting that it will change your life. It gets very good in the middle and ends abruptly, not for any reason other than it was cancelled and then given two hours to wrap up a story that needed more.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Expiration Date posted:

Other than those... I started on Farscape and I got to the 6th episode of the 2nd season and I just couldn't keep caring about the show. Did I hit a bad spot or does it get better? They're still on the bottom of my netflix queue if I ever get through all the Trek stuff...

what else is out there as far as good sci-fi in the last 10 years that might have flown under the radar?

If you don't like Farscape by the second season - you probably won't like it.

As far as good sci-fi - Babylon 5 comes to mind.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

V-Men posted:

If you're willing to move into anime, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is fantastic cyberpunk.

Now that I've finished House, I need something new. Given that I've watched just about everything mentioned in this thread already, I guess I'll give this a shot. I liked the Ghost in the Shell movie anyhow.

CaptainHollywood posted:

How much of the American Office did you watch?

I don't like the American Office either. I liked the BBC version but something about the US one just rubs me wrong. I'm not shocked that other people find it funny, I just don't like it.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

His little monologue about family in the finale was awesome too.

I was partial to the Lucky Strikes meeting in the first couple episodes.

"Well, we cure it, then toast it, then..."
"That's it! Lucky Strikes - It's Toasted"
"But the other guys toast it too."
"So what? The public doesn't know that."

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Officer Farva posted:

Until then, I've started watching The X-Files, and am through the first 12 episodes.

Stop watching X-Files at the end of season 7. Or maybe it's 8, I lost track - but if you come an episode that has Robert Patric replacing Mulder, you know you've gone too far.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Indecline posted:

Carnivale.

Being half way through season 2, I'm kind of dreading the last episode. There's something depressing about watching the last episode of a great series that was cut short, not to mention the frustration of knowing plot lines will never be resolved.

The best advice I can give you is go into the last episode with an open mind. Yes, there will be a lot of questions unanswered, however, the last episode does give SOME sense of closure. You're not gonna know everything you want, but you won't be left completely hanging either.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

I'm currently going through Scrubs. I never liked it much when it was on. I watched it a few times and thought it was too goofy for it's own good. Then, the other night I got stuck with absolutely nothing to watch and caught a random episode. I was kinda surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Borrowed the DVD's from my Dad, and I'm halfway through season 2 - expect to finish that and make way into season 3 tomorrow.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Against my own advice, I'm going through X-Files again. I know I'm gonna lose interest when Doggett shows up, but as for right now, I'm still enjoying it.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Count Choculitis posted:

I recently got Netflix and have been doing basically a disc a day of The X-Files. I'd never seen it before and now I cannot get enough. God that writing is amazing. I'm two discs in to season 4 right now, and I think so far my favorite episodes have been "Humbug," "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space," and the two parter "Colony" and "End Game." I also really appreciate how often they have David Duchovny take his shirt off.

I'm just warning you - you're pretty much right where the series is best. Season 7 has some great episodes, but there's plenty that are just awful and don't even get me started on Agent Doggett.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Count Choculitis posted:

^^ That's what I've heard. I am NOT looking forward to DD leaving, my friend said the show stays good until he wanted them to start writing him out of it. I've heard conflicting things about the new movie, did you see it? thoughts?

And I just watched "Confessions of a Cigarette Smoking Man." Holy poo poo my LIFE. This show just toys with my emotions so bad and yet I love it. That box of chocolates speech by ciggy at the end was incredible.

Personally, I feel that somewhere along the way, Chris Carter lost sight of what his ultimate goal in telling the story was. The overall arc just kinda meanders here and there in the later seasons as opposed to the tight storytelling in the first 5.

And "Confessions" is definitely one of the top 5 episodes.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Yannick_B posted:

I always got the feeling that Chris Carter was always more about mood and ambiance rather than a solid-story story to tell with the show.
Theres a couple of stories in the old xfiles guides about how he would come up with monsters and images and relied on the writers to work around them, even if it meant adding a new bit to the ufo conspiracies or whatever.

Maybe that's why it works the first few times, but after that the charm wears off. I think we need a new X-Files thread.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

SolidRed posted:

I have been attempting to watch Babylon 5, but I only purchased Season 1 and so far have been unable to get past the second dvd. I guess it's just not my bag, which is a shame as I love most SciFis that other fans seem to love along side it.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I tried getting into B5 but I watched the first 5 episodes or so and it is excruciatingly hard to watch.

I was exactly the same way. In fact, despite loving B5, I still have to force myself to sit through the first season. In fact the first 5 episodes of B5 might be the single worst thing I've ever had to endure.

However, and this is the biggest "however" in the history of the internet, unless good TV isn't your bag, get season 2 and then come back here to tell all of us how wrong you were.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

- Can't understand what anyone is saying.

I believe David Simon once said that the reason The Wire's ratings are so terrible is because people turn it on and say "I just can't understand what this negro is saying - change the channel". He's right, and he's wrong. He's right in that sure, some people will tune out because it's a black guy being confusing. He's wrong in that, it's really loving hard to understand these people. Not only is there the level of slang, they don't really speak clearly. I seem to have no problem understanding every word, but I grew up in a fairly poor area so maybe my ears are accustomed to it. My wife, on the other hand, is constantly asking me "What the hell did he just say? Why do you like this show, it's in another language and there's no subtitles"

EDIT: Also - it's possible it's just for you. Not everyone's tastes are the same, and a lot of people don't give a poo poo if every critic has said it's the greatest show on American television in the last decade if not longer. However, it does have a very slow start, but also an amazing payoff - if you get to the end of Season 1 and you still hate it, then it's not for you. It's not something like B5 whose second season was so vastly superior to the first that you need to go through 2 seasons before calling it quits.

Jedi fucked around with this message at Jan 6, 2009 around 01:06

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

CaptainHollywood posted:

Specifically it gets to become a little bit more "sci-fi" than "realistic drama." This became a turn-off for a lot of people who stopped watching.

I'm a bit surprised to read this, since I don't think a polar bear out of nowhere and a smoke monster belong anywhere near a "realistic drama". I'm fairly certain both of those happened in season 1.

Having said that, I love Lost, but it's nowhere near as good as The Wire. Then again, nothing is.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

To contribute, I'm currently taking part in something called The Great Doctor Who Nap Year Marathon, which involves watching all 30 seasons of the show between November last year and March next year. We're still only in season 3.

I was under the impression that the vast majority of these episodes were impossible to find due to being destroyed in some kind of accident. Hell, I'd love to get some Tom Baker/John Pertwee (?) action if I could. I remember being 13 and tuning my TV to barely visible WNJN to catch 1 episode every Saturday night.

Akbar posted:

legendary slog.

One does not "slog" through "How I Met Your Mother". One basks in it's unquestionable glory.

Jedi fucked around with this message at Jan 9, 2009 around 10:48

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

It's you. You're the one. If you'd watched it when it was airing, it wouldn't be canceled.

Much like all you Firefly latecomers.

Can't put all the blame for Firefly on us - it's not like FOX made it easy to watch.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

RoryGilmore posted:

I'm probably going to go through the X-Files next. I caught some of it during its live run, and I've seen dozens of repeats on TNT in the early morning, but I'd like to watch it in its entirety.

Lemme know if you get past Season 8. I've tried twice, but every time Doggett shows up I just completely lose interest.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

AcidCat posted:

To ease the post-Deadwood blues we ordered the series set of The Wire. Normally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on something I've never seen, but everybody seems to universally praise it.

We do not praise The Wire - we merely bask in the recognition that "The Wire" is the greatest hour long drama of all time. Be warned though, it can start slow. However, if you are strong of heart and pure of faith, you too can join our ranks.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

knob posted:

I think it gets pretty close to The Wire in terms of cop shows and does a pretty amazing job considering it was on cable TV and not HBO.

This is probably due to the fact that both shows have the same creator and are based off the same source material.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

oh ok posted:

Why is network tv in the States never this good?

Because in the US, network TV is driven by advertising dollars - in the UK, every resident with a TV (maybe even those without one, I forget) pays a license fee (think of it like a TV tax) so the BBC isn't worried about money. They have a guaranteed amount of cash coming to them every single year no matter what the air. This allows them to take far more chances than their American counterparts.

Also, check out FX (Rescue Me, Sons of Anarchy, and Damages), HBO (too many to name), and recently, Showtime if you want quality American TV.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

bonestructure posted:

Hands down it was Profit. The special effects haven't aged well at all, but the show was way ahead of its time otherwise.

Your favorite show of the 90's, was a program that got 4 episodes in 1996 until some 3rd rate cable channel aired the remainder (just 4 more) 6 years after the fact? The show didn't even get a DVD release until 2005.

I'm not knocking the show, just a strange choice for your favorite.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Puck42 posted:

The amount of male nudity and surprise sex can be disturbing at time, but otherwise it's a pretty good show.

It's an HBO show about prison, did you expect gumdrops and rainbows?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Is Homicide watchable after seeing all of The Wire, or does it suck too much in comparison?

It doesn't suck too much, but don't go in expecting The Wire version 0.5. It's still a network show from the mid-90's and it shows.

The early seasons are better than the later ones and some individual episodes still stand out as brilliant, but overall, after having seen The Wire, I can't call it anything other than "watchable". It's not great, it's not poo poo, it's just there. Good for it's time, but no longer amazing or brilliant.

Others may disagree, and they're certainly entitled to their opinion, but for me, it just looks like a shallow imitation.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

7734 posted:

Lost is a show that definitely benefits from watching episodes back to back...

I'm happy you're enjoying the show, but it's odd that you say this. Nearly everyone agrees that you lose a lot of enjoyment by marathoning it. It can be a pretty heavy show and sometimes it takes some time to digest and process what just happened.

Still - enjoy, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Bonk posted:

I got through Babylon 5's first season on writing alone. Ignore the acting and characterization for the early stuff. The ongoing plot threads are really interesting and even the one-offs are pretty well written.

With one glaring exception. TKO.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

AFewBricksShy posted:

Any Recomendations?

Coupling Seasons 1 - 3. It's such a shame they never made a 4th.

It's been described as the British Friends but that's not really an accurate description. Even as someone who enjoyed Friends in it's original run, I don't feel comfortable with that description. It's a comedy about 6 single friends and it loving rules - that's all you need to know.

EDIT: \/\/\/ Beat you, and I don't know what you're talking about. There is no 4th season.

Jedi fucked around with this message at Sep 1, 2009 around 15:46

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Jedi is right, there is no 4th series.

Well there is, but it replaces one of the most hilarious creations in comedy with a poor imitation who shouts "craziness!" at awkward pauses. Yup.

Sadly, all our wishing will not make it true .

Alas poor Jeffrey, I knew him Mitthrawnuruodo, a fellow of infinite jest. I'm not sure I'd mind Oliver so much if he was there from the beginning, but there was just no replacing Jeff. As strong as the rest of the cast was, it was just too hard to shoehorn a new character into an existing spot. I'm glad they didn't stretch it out any further than that.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

calandryll posted:

I never did understand why he didn't come back.

I assume he wanted to go on to other things. Having only caught the show on DVD and not living in the UK, I have no idea if there was some kind of poo poo going on. According to Wikipedia, he decided to go pursue theater work and did quite a bit of it.

Also according to Wikipedia, he'll be in the new Prince of Persia movie and will be playing Moist Von Lipwig in the adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Going Postal - coming to Sky One over Easter 2010. I sincerely hope there'll be a way for those of us on this side of the pond to see that.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Yeah, I think he just wanted to move on. Did so rather unceremoniously, but you can't blame the man too much - 3 years, 22 episodes is enough. Can't wait for Going Postal, I think he'll be great. With regards to its showing in the US, did you get Hogfather and Colour of Magic? There's your answer.

It's funny how different things in the UK are. You guys consider 22 episodes a lot, and for the US, that's 1 season on a lot of shows.

I don't know if they aired here, but they're available on DVD and that's good enough for me. I do agree that Coyle will rock in the role.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

That show had a short resurgence in the late 80's or early 90's. All I remember is that it starred the original Jim Phelps with an entire new team, and the missions came on CD's instead of tape. I also remember it being fairly entertaining to my young self.

I doubt it's on DVD though.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

calandryll posted:

I really think 13 episodes is an excellent season. Six can be great but sometimes you want more right away, I'm looking at you Top Gear. Twenty-two can be great if you have decent writers. Unfortunately it seems there is always 2-3 filler episodes in a 22 episode season. I don't see why they don't do 13 episode seasons.

Most shows on cable have 13 episode seasons. FX, HBO, and Showtime all do this. I agree that it seems to be a sweet spot for decent TV.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

glasnost toyboy posted:

I should stop hoping every crime based TV series is as perfect as The Wire or Phoenix I guess.

You should stop doing this, you'll only be disappointed until you die. I assume you're still relatively young and that's a very long time to not enjoy TV.

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Compare According to Jim's eight seasons to Arrested Development's two and a half.

Different networks - FOX has a history of cancelling shows with a cult following. Furthermore, Arrested Development wasn't as accessible as According to Jim. Not that According to Jim is that funny either, but that's besides the point.

As an aside, I hated AD and really don't understand why all of you love it so much. Usually, I can see why people like a show even if I don't (case in point - the US Office),but I watched the entire first season of AD and didn't enjoy it in the slightest. I kept waiting for it to get good and then just gave up.

As for comedies getting smarter - I could put up How I Met Your Mother, but one show doesn't make a trend.

Also - all of you go watch HIMYM.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

HIMYM aside, what other comedies do you like? AD is in a way liked so much because it's completely different other sitcoms and very much breaks the mold. No laugh track, a writing staff that is completely self-aware, loads of referential humor, and an ability to build up jokes up episodes before they happen (seriously probably the the best humor-based continuity you'll ever find)...that type of "smart" humor is the kind goons would just dig the hell out of it. It's not that hard to imagine, is it?

HIMYM aside, I watch mostly stuff on cable or British stuff (Coupling, Extras, The OFfice). About the only other comedies I watch on regular TV is Family Guy and American Dad, and I don't really watch that stuff all that often anymore either. I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of My Name is Earl, but hated the last two.

AD seemed almost a little too over the top for me. I got the impression, whether this was intended or not, that the writers were going "LOOK OUT KIDS! HERE COMES THE WACKINESS!!" Anyway, I don't begrudge anyone for enjoying it, I just find it categorically unfunny. I know I'm in the minority around here and I'm fine with that.

Also, in re: laugh tracks - both The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy are two of the greatest comedies ever written and both hadw laughter. I'm not one of those people who flips out over hearing one. I can tune it out and it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of a program one bit.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

The Duke posted:

No one I've ever showed Arrested Development to has gotten this vibe at all. Maybe smoke some and try not to over analyze it the goony goon way? If you can't laugh at "Pier Pressure" (arguably in the top 3 best episodes) there is something seriously wrong.

I don't think I should need weed to enjoy a program. Secondly, the goony goon thing seems to be to fellate the creators for blessing us with the show, so I'm not sure how not enjoying it makes me even more goony.

I don't like the show - I don't think you're nuts for liking it, it's just not for me. I also can't stand any of the original shows on Adult Swim.

Bonk posted:

I don't really think this is an apt comparison. Nobody cared in the 50s, especially since in the TV market they were more or less the only game in town. Both also had live studio audiences, where HIMYM is taped on soundstages and location shoots, then shown to an audience whose reactions are recorded.

Fine - Cheers and Frasier then. All I'm saying is that unlike most the people here, I can look past a laugh track. The way most of the people in this forum talk about a laugh track, you'd think a Hollywood sound editor raped their grandmother's corpse while fingerbanging their mother at the funeral. I don't think it adds anything either, but I hardly think it detracts.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

FateoMcSkippy posted:

And episode one of season two. Netflix. If you say you have the season available for streaming, have every episode. Not whatever ones you want.

I thought I'd give the new Doctor Who a whirl, so I added it to my instant queue. Over half the first season isn't available for streaming. For Dead Like Me though, the episodes should be up on Hulu.

Also, I think it's more the studio who decides these things, not Netflix.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

FateoMcSkippy posted:

So the studio would tell them they could put up episodes 1, 3, 5-7, 9, and 11, but not the rest? That seems horribly retarded of them.

edit: Sigh, I had season 1 of Doctor Who on my instant queue too. I guess I'm never gonna see it. I stream to my xbox, so things like Hulu don't let me watch the shows on my couch.

Well, think about it this way - in whose best interest is it to hold back episodes? Netflix has nothing to gain, but the studio who sells the DVD's may very much want not to have every episode available for free. I agree it's completely retarded.

And I'm in the same boat as you with Netflix on the XBox.

As for my own binge - Jeremiah. It was a post-apocalyptic show with Luke Perry and Malcom Jamal Warner. Considering the cast, it's surprisingly good. I'm almost through the first season and while I hear the second season isn't nearly as good, I'm optimistic.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Ratatozsk posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations of TV series available on Netflix Watch Instantly? I've worked my way through Dexter, Lost, Brotherhood, and just recently stumbled on The State Within. Are there any gems hidden in there with 10,000 seasons of SVU/CSI/Murder She Wrote worth catching?

SVU is pretty good. There's some continuity between episodes but it's still basically Law & Order: surprise sex surprise sex surprise sex. I enjoy it, but I couldn't imagine actually giving it my full attention - I leave it on as background noise while web browsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

thrakkorzog posted:

Leverage is pretty good, although there's only about 1.5 seasons of it. Basically, it's about a group of thieves who go around conning bad guys to help the people they ripped off. If you like caper films like The Sting or Ocean's 11, then you'd probably enjoy Leverage.

In the same vein - try Hu$tle - although you'll actually have to get the discs for that since it doesn't appear to be available on "Watch Instantly".

«2 »