Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

I guess I'll recommend something available on Netflix that's not very popular. Harper's Island. Basically a 13 episode show about a wedding group stuck on an island with a serial killer. It's not a good show. But it's entertaining if you like horror/slasher type movies with some mystery added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Lord Dekks posted:

We seem to be the only people in the world who couldn't get into Breaking Bad despite watching most of the first season,

It's a different show after he shaves his head. Seriously, it gets soooo much better.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

harlequin baby posted:

True Blood. A few of my friends have suggested watching it. I have HBOgo, so I have access to the entire series. I'm not really into the whole vampire thing, though.

I seriously don't think I have anything else to binge on, save for some alcohol. Is the show worthy of churning through?

It's never dull. Add a star if you're female. Every season takes me a few eps to get into it though.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Is Touch worth watching?

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Frasier - Granted I've seen every episode probably a few times but it's been a while so binging on Netflix now. Kelsey Grammer really is a tremendous actor with a range that is unlike almost any other sitcom actor. He can deliver lines so perfectly. Like any sitcom, it takes a while to get good.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess I'll stick with the shield until Ep 10, I'm still on the fence so far, the lovely techno/metal end credits are annoying me more than they should.

Worst theme music for any good show ever. The Shield slowly gets better and better. Each season is better than the last. If you get bored, skip to season 5. That season is pretty amazing and you won't really be lost.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

What? Dont skip anything. That's terrible advice, and the season will mean jack poo poo.

Skip to season five instead of giving up was my advice.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

klaphark posted:

I watched the first 3 seasons (enjoyed most of it) of 24 a few years ago but stopped because season 4 was apparently the worst one and I had my fill of 24 at that point. I'm thinking about starting again though, should I just skip season 4 or try to power through?

Season five is considered one of the best, if not the best season. Season six is hands down the worst. Seven is pretty good. Eight was surprisingly good. Jack is just insane in the last season.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

DarkCrawler posted:

Malcolm In The Middle for what has to be the fifth time.

It has to be the most underrated comedy show ever. Every single episode is pure, utter gold. If you haven't watched it yet, do so immediately.

Jumps the shark really quickly though IMO. Malcolm becomes a whiny teenager...

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Finished American Horror Story, season 1. Easily the dumbest show I've ever seen. Makes True Blood look like Shakespeare.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

A MIRACLE posted:

I need some comedies to burn through. I like to keep poo poo on in the background while I work. I've seen every cartoon, I think. And pretty much everything else. Might just watch KOTH again for the fifth time.

Two Guys and a Girl (and a pizza place) is a solid Friends clone with Ryan Reynolds and Nathan Fillion. Takes about 20 episodes to find itself though, the first 13 episode season is kind of lame. I recommend it because somehow, despite some big stars, it's been forgotten. It's not on netflix, or DVD. So pirate away, guilt free. I can't think of a show that's been more overlooked than that one. There's like 80 episodes!

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Heard good things about season 8 Scrubs here but was disappointed. Just too juvenile and really repetitive, maybe it was always that way but I do think if I went back and watched the first few seasons it would be subtly different and much better. By season 8 it just seemed like there was nothing more to do with them and it was the same crap over and over. The janitor should exited after the forth season or so, my IQ dropped every time he was on screen.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Five eps into Justified. It's definitely a quality show, but the one off format, as opposed to serial storytelling, hasn't really hooked me.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Island Nation posted:

I'm probably near the bottom of people watching this for the 1st time but now Breaking Bad is up next. Not what I would've picked offhand but it's reputation has now trickled down to people who have difficulty staying up for a hour long drama.

Don't expect too much at first. BB begins when Walter White shaves his head...

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

nm

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Supernatural - Into the 5th season now. Much better than I expected, being on CW with two hunky guys I thought it would be more geared towards teenage girls but it's very much an adult show and very well done. In some ways I think it's better than X-files as you don't have Scully's ridiculous "amnesia", apparently forgetting monsters do exist every episode. In addition, instead of mostly monster of the week episodes like the X files, it gradually becomes a primarily serial show.

That 70's show - I started at season 2 for some reason. 2,3,4 were good, 5 there's a bit of dip in quality. There's some really poorly written shows at the end. Now watching season 1, holy crap the first 4 eps are horrible. After that it picks up but I'm just watching it for completion now, 8 seasons was too much.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

tadashi posted:

Would anybody care to throw out some under-appreciated series on Netflix I may have missed?

Daybreak. If it's still on there.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

I'm on season 8 of my supernatural binge. First 6 seasons were surprisingly great, season 7 there's a drop in quality for sure. Season 8 I guess is a bit better but there's some stinkers. And these aren't even 13 episode seasons. I assumed it was for teenage girls but it's a pretty "manly" show.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Riosan posted:

Having watched most of the episodes occasionally the past 15 years, I formally sat down with the intent of watching Futurama from start to finish.

Been watching it as well. Best one so far was the one where they think Fry is a robot. Worst was when Leila was a baseball pitcher. Felt like it was written by a 6 year old.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

prinneh posted:

Thank you Drifter, klaphark and Mister Kingdom!

Iíve seen most of the shows recommend (Modern Family, Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, Veep, Cheers, Night Court, good life, scrubs, young ones, yes prime minister, red dwarf) and I donít really go in for cartoons (which is my own fault), but Iíll pick up one of the 70ís/80ís British comedies and see if I canít get into that.

Two guys and a girl (and a pizza place). But takes about 20 eps to find itself.
The Drew carey show
Just shoot me
I remember liking Ned and Stacey, that's a forgotten show if there ever was one. First season is on dvd for $5:

http://www.amazon.com/Ned-Stacey-Complete-First-Season/dp/B000A7Q1YC

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 3, 2014

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Joe schmo show is pretty great too, both seasons:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0001XAODO/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

watching season 6 of parks and rec. Seems to be past its prime. Nothing new, rarely funny.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

PaulDirac posted:

Ive actually been watching Friends. I used to come across the show when i was flipping channels when watching tv as a kid and kinda hated it. Thought the jokes were lame, and the story boring. Now that im older and different (read: dont have any friends) I enjoy the show a lot. I like the feelgood aspects and actually do find most of the jokes funny (tho not in a lauging out loud kind of way). Im currently 3 seasons in, lets hope i keep enjoying it and it doesnt get boring.

Sorry, except for Joey pretty much every character becomes more and more cartoonish and annoying. Last few seasons are mostly not very good, but still watchable in a train wreck sort of way. Try to find Two Guys a girl (and a pizza place), a good friends clone with Ryan reynolds and Nathan Fillion.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Cactus posted:

Was that that early on? I just had to check IMDB and yeah it was, I always remembered it as taking place more toward the end of the series. I have a memory hole where S4-5 should be, time for a re-watch...

Your fact checking sucks.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Mr E posted:

Just finished S6 of Supernatural after a pretty long break after watching S5 last year. Does this show get terrible or anything, because I'm honestly surprised just how much I still enjoy the show, most don't keep my interest for this long.

S7 takes a noticeable step downward. Recovers a bit but 1-6 are the best.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

8 or 9 eps of the Blacklist. Spader is fun, but this show is ridiculous and pretty stupid at times. I know if I keep watching it's just going to get dumber.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I've just started going through Justified. It seems alright so far - is it worth sticking with it the whole way through?

yea, gets better and better.

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 24, 2015

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Fleve posted:

After watching the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

i watched two episodes. The first was ok. The second was awful in my opinion. Felt like a season 8 episode of a show that jumped the shark in season 5.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Finished Season 2 orphan black. Not good IMO. Mystery is gone, novelty of same actress playing different characters is gone. Nothing much good left really.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Chromatic posted:

Currently re-watching The Shield. 10/10

I can't give it a 10/10 for a few reasons, one being how ridiculous the filler plots were where every bad guy eventually admits to the crime. CSI is bad cause the defense attorney just stays quiet. In the Shield defense attorneys don't even exist.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Mr. Robot. At 9.1 on imdb this must be the most overrated show I've seen. It's amazing how much they copied Dexter for this show. And American Psycho. It's entertaining enough, especially if you never saw those two. Pretty bad at times though. Like in the first or second ep when Elliot just walks up to the guy on the street and asks for his cellphone, "I umm, need to call my mom or something". "Uh sure ok".

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

El Ste posted:

I've only just heard of and begun Homeland.

I am just praying that this doesn't end up being a gigantic waste of time. Please, someone, warn me if it is.

People poo poo on Homeland but I think it's definitely solid and worth watching. Well, the first three seasons at least. Haven't seen the rest.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Also is it just me or is Wentworth Miller an incredibly bad actor? I don't even normally notice stuff like that but he just seems to have the same demeanor and facial expressions no matter what is happening.

Yea, he has a very limited range. I just watched shawshank redemption for the first time in ages and noticed how similar Tim Robbin's character sounded like him. I guess Scofield was a bit of an homage.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

I binged the first three minutes of Transparent. Yes minutes. Easily the most irritating opening to a show ever. I couldn't continue...

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

JUST SHOOT ME again. This one is hard to find and surely an underrated sitcom. By Steve Levitan (Modern Family). Most episodes are directed by Pamela Fryman who directed almost all of How I met your mother and a bunch of Frasier episodes. If you like sitcoms like Frasier, Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld etc then download this one. A ton of fun guest stars especially near the end of the show.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Now we've finished Prison Break Season 3 and are two episodes into Season 4, and it is INSANE. There's a whole new direction, new setting, pretty much an entirely new show, aside from the whole "let's get the band back together" aspect. They're essentially the Suicide Squad now -- Michael and Lincoln working with a team of people whose lives they ruined (and Michael Rapaport).

Make sure you watch the movie that is after season 4.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Finished The Man in The High Castle. A bit meh for me. Question

If the tapes are the alternative "what really happened" timeline, when did Joe shoot Pete? During world war 2? Wouldn't they be like 10 years old?"

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

I've watched about 7 or 8 episodes of the 100 and it still seems like a show for young adults, despite any surprising deaths.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I tired the 100 too and it's young adult garbage. Incredibly convoluted drama with zero levity. It's just too dumb.

Basically LOST / Battlestar Galactica for kids who were under 10 when those shows were on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Wafflecopper posted:

I stuck with it after the first episode because goons said it got better and I remembered hating Spartacus at first but coming around on that eventually but I just called it quits on The 100 in the middle of the ninth episode because I realised I just didn't care. The acting is loving awful, the dialogue is loving awful, the writers try to write complex characters but it just comes off hammy anyway and the plot is boring and predictable. I should have listened to the guys who said to give it up after episode 3 if it didn't hook me by then.

That's about where I stopped. Agree with everything you wrote. It's lost and bsg for people who were toddlers when those shows were on.