Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I poop socked through Mad Men and Burn Notice. Burn Notice is a little forgettable but Mad Men is really something special. I read that the creator got the Exec Producer job on The Sopranos after David Chase read the pilot script for Mad Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah season 5-7 gets a lot of hate but Alan Alda is amazing. I would skip 5 because it really is bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rhyno posted:

That's kind of funny. The last time I tried watching the Wire I made it to the third episode before turning to my ex and saying "This is the most overrated bullshit I've ever seen." and turned it off. I guess I'll have to give it another shake.

I got to episode 7 before giving up. Maybe I'm a simpleton for preferring the grandeur and high production of shows like Rome and Deadwood but what can I say? The Wire was boring.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 24, 2008

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

His little monologue about family in the finale was awesome too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You're in for a whole lot of Lisa in season 3.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

jerkstore77 posted:

I had heard that Deadwood actually got cancelled. Is this right? If so, did it get a proper ending? I can't get into a series knowing it was cancelled without some sort of finality.

Still worth watching. There was talks about doing 2 movies to finish it up but it probably won't happen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anorak Revolution posted:

You're in for some of the best episodes, soon. some of the most soul-crushing ones, too. :unsmith:

The season 4 finale is hosed up but it also comes out of nowhere. I think it would have made a bigger impact if they built it up a bit and gave some more hints.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Raspberry Bang posted:

I just finished watching season 4 of Six Feet Under and having watched season 5 when it aired I know I won't be able to stop watching till it's finished.

That and I'm also currently watching Mad Men which started off a little slow but I am really enjoying it now that I'm half way through the series.

Last summer I watched Sports Night in like three days. It was not a wise thing to do. After wards I keep hearing the dialog structures when people were talking to me. It was weird.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/how-write-for.php

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rome is loving awesome. Stick with it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why don't you get netflix? It's much cheaper than buying every TV show. Amazon had a sale last year where each season of The Wire was like $20 but they cost much more right now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All those shows came before BSG

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not going to tolerate all this Six Feet Under hate :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It goes downhill after season 1. They pussify Sheperd so much it's unbelievable. The finale of season 1 is badass so you got some decent TV to look forward to.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked almost all the characters. Billy was over the top but I liked him too. It's fun seeing a grown man cry. I didn't like Lisa because she felt out of place in the show.

It's life, sometimes people just do stupid or mean poo poo for no reason. They all had flaws.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

I still don't get why you and a couple others keep saying that about Shepard.

And Atlantis was pretty consistent in quality, which is not to say it's an excellent show or anything, but I can't point to a season and say it was truly any worse than another. Except maybe the season where Tapping was around to run out her contract.

In the first season finale, you can see the fuming hatred in his eyes when he yells "Kolllyyyaaaaaaaa!" For a moment I was impressed at how dark it was and that maybe the show was going in a much darker path than I thought. But that kind of emotion never really happens again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

- Can't understand what anyone is saying.
- Depressing and ugly
- boring

I watched 4 episodes of season 1 and gave up. After seeing the huge discussion thread I'm definitely planning on giving it another go from episode 1, but I get distracted and end up going through the West Wing, Rome, or Sports Night for the billionth time. I also started watching more lightweight stuff recently like Psych, Burn Notice, Top Gear, and when I sit down to watch something really dense like The Wire I just groan. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for a show like that at this time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you like Firefly then you might like Whedon's other two shows, Buffy and Angel.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm re-watching the first season of Damages. I saw the first ep of season 2 and realized I forgot a lot about what happened so I want a refresher.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd push Carnivale and Deadwood to the back because they don't have satisfying endings.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 2 already started

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Claire does mellow out a lot over the series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Deadwood is already pretty much the Swearengen show. When i think of Deadwood the image that comes to my mind isn't Bullock, it's Swearengen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Encryptic posted:

Can't figure how David Milch came up with John From Cincinnati, though. I watched that when it first came on because I had heard how good Deadwood was and that was honestly the most incomprehensible loving thing I've ever seen.

I think it was a brilliant way to say "gently caress you!" to HBO.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Trophy Boner posted:

Speaking of RoryGilmore, I just finished the first season of Gilmore Girls. Really just a great show. I've never seen characters so likable and endearing, and at the same time so well written and deep. It's a little sad that it's labelled a "chick show" (although it's understandable), because anybody who likes character driven shows would probably like it. Even though the main characters are women, I think it's easy for anyone to identify with them because most of the problems they face aren't gender specific. Almost everyone has had trouble with relationships, has relatives that infuriate them, has made mistakes in their life, etc.

Plus, Rory is just so drat adorable. :unsmith:

The only characters I dislike are Jess and Logan, probably because they get to sleep with Rory. Logan is also a jerk, he can be sweet to her when everything is going fine but if there is some slight problem he turns into an rear end in a top hat. I don't like Jess because he's the embodiment of this guy:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If they bring that mom back I quit. All the demon bullshit was annoying as hell.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah season 1 was ok but I wouldn't have been crushed if it was cancelled. Season 2 is a vast improvement.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Skip season 2 and go straight to 3 afterwards. The writers for season 3 pretend that 2 never even happened.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

True Blood is trash in its finest form. It's a very entertaining show, it's no Six Feet Under, but it's one of those guilty pleasures. Worth a watch.

E: Don't watch it with parents. It can get very...awkward.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 4, 2009

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch Friday Night Lights. Get Season 1, skip 2, and go straight to 3. It's one of the best dramas

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nathan Fillion has his cop show and Adam Baldwin is on Chuck. It ain't happening.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a cheesy show, the writers and actors know it's cheesy, but they still play it straight. You have to appreciate the cheese to like the show. That said, season 2 is a nice improvement in all ways. Great guest actors and nearly all the questions are answered. Season 3 is sort of a fresh start.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first 2 episodes of season 4 are my favorite West Wing episodes. It sort of goes downhill the rest of season 4, then the show goes even further down on 5 and 6. In the middle of season 6 it starts to get good again, but it's not the same West Wing. It's a different non-Sorkin show but they do a good job. Basically, stick with it, but it will get worse before it gets better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh gently caress, that 9/11 episode was a trainwreck. I remember there is a dumbshit kid that asks something like "Aren't all muslims terrorists?"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No show has survived the jump to college. I would skip season 3 as well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's Kings, but it's almost over

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Minimaul posted:

So far, I haven't really found it very depressing at all. I was kind of hoping it would be cause I've been in a "wallowing in misery mood" for a week or so. But, strangely, I'm not sad when I watch the show. There was a couple parts that are kind of sad, but there not really a focus of the show or main plot, just part that moves the story along or starts each episode. So, it doesn't tug at the heart strings like you'd think. Then again, maybe it does and I'm just early in the series so it hasn't found its stride yet.

Things start to get really hosed up in season 2

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's funny how the new writing team was so bad at doing the White House staff. The campaign was done very well, but anytime it went back to CJ, Bartlet, or anyone else on staff it was boring as poo poo. Toby was one of my favorite characters in the first 4 seasons but I was tempted to fast forward through all his parts in season 6/7

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

-Blackadder- posted:

Not usually a big fan of comedies but I do like Weeds, Californication, and Entourage so I decided to give Eastbound and Down a try and ended up burning through the first season pretty quickly. It was pretty good, especially the first episode that had me laughing like a heyena the whole time.

Now I'm out of shows again and looking to discover something new that I had previously overlooked, but I'm not coming up with anything yet. I hate comedy sitcoms and pretty much watch only serial dramas the exceptions being the above listed shows.

I really hate it when I have nothing to watch. And the last few seasons have seen the end of a lot great shows that were my bread and butter (The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, Deadwood, Carnivale, BSG, even Prison Break) and annoyingly these haven't really been replaced with shows of equal quality.

Try Kings, Friday Night Lights, Burn Notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a couple episodes of Castle, it's nothing special and I think the only reason a lot of people here watch it is for Nathan Fillion. Not that there is much wrong with that, I'm watching a terrible show called the Philanthropist because it has Mark Antony from Rome.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 23, 2009