Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fartbox posted:

The Punisher

It's okay. It's keeping my interest and is pretty alright all around, but I'm nearing the end of the season and there have barely been any good firefights, or fights in general, so far. SO FAR, I think the Punisher had cooler scenes in Daredevil

I loved the Punisher. Its a great exploration on the horrors of violence and how it destroys all it touches. Had some non-comic friends watch with me and they also loved it. Not as much of a comic book show as the rest. My favourite so far but that's probably because some of its themes really hit close to home. The last fight scene will probably hit more of that sweet spot. The second to last episode is still brutal. ALMOST wish it had ended there. DD still has some great fight scenes.
"I am home."

Had some downtime recently so.....

Spaced - It was a welcome return for me as it has been years. Felt like I found an old pair of Chucks from high school. Comfortable and nostalgic but still holds some serious comedic chops. Seriously bloody great show and found myself missing it the moment the last episode finished.

Constantine - I was very sceptical. Constantine was one of those old comics a mate of mine let me borrow centuries ago. He had a run of trades from the 1st issue all the way to the end of the Garth Ennis run. I wanted to hate this show... and was shocked how much I liked it. The lead, Matt Ryan, doesn't just do a good job - the guy is perfect. I do wish it had been a bit more UK centric, but I was surprised how little I cared once things went along. Good watch and only 12 episodes so easy to binge. Hopefully the rumours are true and it gets a second life on CW.

The Mist - So the short story was good. The movie from a decade ago was shockingly amazing albeit bleak. Oh yeah... don't watch the Mist movie and The Road back to back. Might lead to Ian Curtisville. Anyway the television show. The first episode was a bit of fairly decent setup. Far more graphic than I expected and built up some nice tension. I thought it might be a fun ride. I didn't read anything about it, so had some hope. Then I kept watching. The gently caress? Seriously. What went on after that first episode? First episode was still decent but the series went aggressively downhill. I felt like the showrunner had an agenda of some sorts. Some dark agenda to make humanity pay for its sins. That is what this show felt like. It hated everything and everyone and would make sure you suffered. Every character was aggravating. Every time you started to like someone the show sensed it and made them do something both confusing and irritating. American TV cliches gather here, from "use weapon once then drop it" to "I can't just say one sentence and solve all these tensions.... no I must keep quiet and look mysterious" to "I will not make sense as I am a woman. x10 sass and chaos if woman is a teenager" to much, much more. And there is no logic. A character can be "no we must preserve all life no matter the cost" then go start eating babies and sacrificing puppies to Dread Lorth Cthulhu. In the same episode. 5 minutes later. Same went with every aspect of the show. It was mind boggling. Someone spent serious money on this and it was truly bad. Not the Room badly entertaining but more Inhumans TV show tediously awful. Even the cool deaths and effects from the 1st ep eventually devolve into 3rd rate made for SyFy knock offs. Not Z-Nation fun zombiecheesewheelofdeath either. I do have to thank them for one thing: they killed off most of the aggravating cast in the last episode. I actually applauded that. Sorry if anyone feels spoiled but I am doing this for you. I like you guys too much to let you waste time watching this show and I know I wish I had been warned. Don't do it. Thank Christ it was cancelled. Seriously, nobody should watch this show unless they are truly wretched people. I wish we could resurrect Jimmy Saville just to make him watch this show Ad nauseam, ad infinitum. Still confused how it went so wrong so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Meatgrinder posted:

Oh six is out? Dirty loving danglers, boys!

I love that show but it also eerily captures my daily life so that is a might unsettling. Alberta beef is great and everyone should take grilling tips from Wayne. Bloody savages around nowadays.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

No, my dad is a weird stickler for poo poo, and I don't really care enough to put a lot of effort into it.

Live somewhere that fireworks are legal? He'll blow up a small arsenal. Live somewhere that they're illegal? He's out there getting pissed off that someone launched a mortar a street over.

Your Dad is Judge Dredd?
Just binged all of Dirk Gently: Holistic Detective and I’m sad there’s not more. I know Max Landis is a wretched creature but the show is good. The second seasons was about as good as one could expect and Bartina: Holistic Assassin was brilliant. Did Landis shenanigans cause the cancellation?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Lost finale wasn't as bad IMO.

Lost was bad because they had a bunch of things that didn't quite make sense, and they kept saying "it'll make sense one day!" and it never really did. They also teased some much smarter cooler ideas that they didn't end up doing.

But Game of Thrones the whole conflict is built up to a wet fart, the characters all start acting like different, much dumber people, and then the wrong person gets declared king, the end.

The biggest difference is Lost's seasons had many self-contained plot arcs which resolved in satisfying ways, and will continue to hold up as great TV. Game of Thrones always felt like it was building towards something, and then didn't. It was mostly one big arc. I guess you could say that the death of Joffrey was an arc?

Well put on the Lost ending. I put Lost with BSG: they tried and failed but at least they tried and sorta cared. GoT was a zero effort shite done by two guys that could care less about the world they built or the fans. They were done and ready to collect their next paycheque or explain why slavery wasn’t THAT bad actually. It wasn’t a deliberate “gently caress you - got mine” but it felt like that to we, the fans, because they just didn’t give a toss. I don’t blame the actors a bit, none seemed to phone it in. I still think Tru Blood and Dexter had worse endings... though GoT’s did ruin the entire show for me.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

12 monkeys owned lol

It really did. I love setting the low expectations at “you see the movie?” or “end of the world apoc done good” then they settle in. Normally at season 2 my friends are like “wtf” but in the best way. Season 1 gets really going about 3-4 but seriously everyone should stick it out. Bloody good fun.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

blackshreds posted:

I’m going through Raised by Wolves during work and I’m liking it so far, three episodes in and I’m going to wait till tonight to watch any more so I can pay full attention.

I'm still torn on Wolves. Some of the parts of that show are so drat good. The actors playing Mother and Father are tremendous; Father, especially, lights up the show when he is around. Just perfect casting. It super pretty to look at and has some neat visuals. Some of the things in it are just neat to look at. Also some of the concepts could be cool and you want them to get fleshed out. Those are the good things. The bad? Most of the other characters are either just ok or terrible. Also some of the kids are just annoying. Highly annoying. I felt only Mother and Father can escape the sometime dodgy dialogue. Large portions of the time the writing make no sense. Not aggressively bland at least... but some kind of logic normally one only achieves when you are baked out of your mind. Well that last bit can be good or bad depending on your mood. Do you want hard logical sci fi? Then bad. Do you want to smoke a bowl or two and get into something a bit trippy? Then good. It's not going to make sense if you think about it overlong. At first I felt it was sloppy, but really, this is just a show following its own dream logic. I'm not going to bitch about Twin Peaks being weird or hard to follow nor this show. Not saying it's as good as Twin Peaks Season 3 but just follows its own dream logic and rules that might even change a bit halfway through. Then you get the ending. It goes from trippy and not entirely logical sci fi to just something else. Some thought it was absurd but I loved how it gleefully jumped over the top. It was nuts and more than a bit silly but I loved it. First time I wasn't sure I liked it but the second time made me fall a little in love with it.

So why am I torn? I love watching this movie called Zardoz. Love that movie. It's weird, trippy with cool visuals and some fascinating concepts. Sean Connery wearing a red diaper, sexxing it up and speeches about "the gun is good, the penis is evil" by a giant floating stone head that vomits guns and ammo at it's tribe of worshippers. I really, really love that movie. But would I say it is a good movie? Accessible to many different types of people? I know most of my friends don't really like it but a few that do really dig it. I put Wolves more in that category. Don't expect normal logic or coherency. Devote some time and then relax and enjoy the ride. Also getting high helps.

mllaneza posted:

Season three is back on form. It obviously can't match the single best season of TV ever produced, bit it's goddamned amazing. Mehersala Ali turns in four incredible performances. The plot and supporting characters live up to his level, all aroung an outstanding season.

Backing you up. Season 3 is really good with some brilliant performances. Mahershala Ali is incredible and seriously should be in everything. The ending still haunts me.

edit: have a Zardoz trailer because when else is it going to pop up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVakHZp5ZBE

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 30, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'd heard enough conflicting opinions on TD s3 I've been on the fence about watching it. I'm definitely not bothering with s2.

TD Season 2 was fairly terrible but there was this one great scene with Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn in a bar that felt like purgatory. Just the two of them barely talking with this sad song plays in the background that was pure, undiluted noir and that is my jam. Google True Detective Season "Two Least Favorite Life" and you should find it. That and a couple of action scenes are about the only thing worth going through. Not that any of the actors were to blame.... the showrunner proper dropped the ball, as it were. Rubbish really but not so much that it would be remarkable or worth watching.

Season 3 is really good. It is more back to what made TD season 1 good. You have really good performances with a duo of leads that are insanely good together. Warning: nobody is a perfect good guy and people are very flawed, even when they mean well. I thought Ali's character was really well done and he carried the narrative in a way not many can. Really the entire show was solid throughout and all of the cast did great but he stood out. That ending really got to me... in a good way. I say give it a go. It's quality.

I just rewatched all of Fargo preparing for the end of season 4. Goddamn this show is really good. Season 2 might still be my favourite due to the duo of Mike Milligan and Hanzee but really one I try and recommend to everyone.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Got a question goons: How good/bad does Grimm get? I tend to like the Supernatural type show and, despite the Monster face reveals being a bit silly, I am enjoying it. Just finished episode 13 and now I'm at an impasse. I like the show alright but not super jazzed about it. Fairly straight C grade so far.... but then I hit episode 13. Hitler was a supernatural creature and corrupted by cursed coins to be evil/more evil. It COULD be good if they lean far more into the cheesy route but it feels like Monster Hitler could either lead somewhere interesting or a sign of possible wretched and lazy television. Grimm so far tends to follow quite a bit of tv tropes so far and is just mediocre. Does it ever get better or is this more of a forgettable background show? It was a toss up between this, Sleepy Hollow or Once Upon a Time. I will say that I have never watched as much television as I have in 2020 and am started to get a bit tired of typical Cop Procedurals.

Side and possibly complex question: watching an insane amount of tv this past year made me wonder about television shows getting financial or resource backing from the police. I know American military are picky about backing a movie/show and will not let you have access to their equipment and active duty advisors unless you show the military in a positive light but is it the same with 5-0? Always wonder as, yet again, I've seen a ton of television in this annus horribilus and aside from certain shows like the Shield or the Wire, police and law enforcement are shown to be pure as driven snow good guys following a very puritanical moral code except for the occasional bad apple. Criminals can have anything done to them in the name of justice as they are filthy criminals. Taken at face value that is a touch dark and yet I keep seeing it throughout television and not just american television (though that is the most obvious). Figure there must be a logical motivation and the easiest and most reliable motivation is money. So anyone know? Any television producers among you goons?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks BetterLek. That makes sense

Sloth Life posted:

Never watched Ouat, but if you like fun hokey supernatural and are not put off by frank sex scenes tits n rear end, try Lost Girl.
Weirdly enough Lost Girl is one of those show types I'm looking for but just watched the show itself not long ago.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Once Upon A Time is fitfully bad, and generally pretty poor. The spin off series also had a wonky start - neither show had good SFX, but Wonderland is particularly invested in muddy looking CGI backgrounds - but ends up surprisingly compelling. Still, I wouldn't particularly recommend the show.

Grimm is more mediocre than bad, and has little to no interest in its mega plot for long periods of time. (As opposed to OUAT, which has a lot of plot busywork, but it's really all plate spinning). It's probably the best of the three shows you've suggested. Some fun side characters.

Sleepy Hollow is very bad. It has some fun material early on, but also no intention of paying off any of its early hooks (which are numerous, and nearly all dropped). It rapidly goes downhill, and early into its second season becomes basically terrible.

If you're looking for fun fantasy action shows, I'd recommend Buffy/Angel (not loved on this forum, but still, IMO, very good, particularly Angel), The Magicians, Wynonna Earp (very poor early half a dozen EPs, before becoming easily the funniest show on this list), Being Human (the UK version, don't bother with the US, the writing mistakes morality play for soap opera).

I can poke holes at all of these, but I reckon they were all worth a person's time. They also all have endings, except Earp which is ongoing, which is more than can be said for a lot of television.

Thank you. You hit perfectly what I am looking for but sadly, the only show I haven't seen on your list is Wynonna Earp. Guess I could give that and Van Helsing a go. I miss the Magicians already as well as Supernatural. Buffy and Angel are no longer loved? I know they haven't aged as well as some shows but they were decent shows and Angel hits some really good beats. I did a Whedonverse rewatch (including Dollhouse) in the early part of the year which feels like centuries ago. I can see why some get annoyed as they are a little too cutesy with the dialogue and Xander is a total "good guy" sex pest but I don't see how it's much worse than other late 90s or early 00 fare. Had some good episodes in there and it will always be one of those shows I watched after school so I will admit to some rosy tinted. They really should have had Nathan Fillion kill Xander tho. Anyway, next you will be saying goons hate Red Dwarf.

Not that anyone here watched it but skip Hellstrom. Not even engaging enough to be hate watched or even background watched. I think I made it 4 episodes before it somehow annoyed me even just being in the background. Still don't know how it managed to bored me active watching and actively annoy me in the background but it did. "Evil" was a treat and thank you guys again.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

But I've been on a path of self healing for 3 years now, from depression and anxiety, and I'm realizing that these types of shows and movies don't help. They add stress to my life and make my sleep worse. Even animated stuff like Pixar movies are nothing but stressful situations for almost the whole movie. So I'm taking a break for a while and we'll see if I enjoy them when I go back.

I know at our core, we are just Fear and Love and most of us have a huge imbalance towards Fear and that makes us choose things that feed into that Fear. Much like the no fap challenge, if anyone want to join me feel free and report the results.

Currently watching Shitt's Creek and the Life in Color Netflix nature show.

Backing us Psych. It just is a nice slice of happy yet not dumbed down. Genuinely great cast that have amazingly chemistry and solve mysteries. I still pop it on now and then when I need something just ... light. We all need times to have something just chill on. Enjoy goon. I wish I could think of something else for you... oh wait - Red Green Show! That show is very light and just happy and I can't remember one moment of anything too hard. Warning: very, very Canadian. But that might help some too.... check it out. Also Bob Ross. You can watch Bob Ross and feel zen while learning (or getting better) at painting.

Something completely different that a goon in the Invincible thread turned me on to: Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal. gently caress this show is good. Animated by Genndy Tartakovsky of course but far more loving metal than I ever would have suspected. Semi Conan early human named Spear and his Dino buddy Fang have fun road trip adventures. A bit gory and more than a little dark but it's just engaging and downright beautiful. The writing is very Robert E Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs with a little bit of Lord Dunsany. Mostly goes without dialogue but it somehow works. Highly, highly recommended but not for Carlos as it can get intense... like right off the bat.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Yeah....the monster was not good. The rest of it was very good. Thought the length was perfect. I take it that you didn't read the book?

Yeah the Terror Season 1 was all about the atmosphere of dread and humanity breaking down in the face of inevitable doom. The monster was rear end but so many good moments of people trying and failing to not lose their minds. I remember the one bad rear end seaman knowing he was about to die by poison and strapping forks to himself so the monster died if it ate him and gently caress me that was metal. That one underwater scene from the first episode is still legitimately one of the most terrifying things I have seen on tv. It SHOULD be silly or nothing but instead it freaks me the gently caress out. Just the cameras, lighting and music do so much heavy lifting and it was just a scene for a few minutes. They really went balls out o the actors and hired so many insanely talented people. The Terror and Chernobyl first episode marathon was like a perfect weekend for me once.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Completely forgot about 'Mythic Quest'. Yeah....that show rocks too. 'For All Mankind' is something that I haven't watched....but I'm not sure why. Seems like it would be right up my alley. Plus....and I didn't know this until right now....but Michael Dormer from 'Patriot' is one of the leads. I'll likely end up checking out 'Servant' too. It's another show that has gotten high marks. Not to mention that I really shouldn't doubt any shows on Apple+ right now....considering how good they've all been so far.
Yeah I should check that out and between MQ and Ted Lasso I'm not dropping my sub unless they eat baby kittens or something.

Speaking of yet recommendations: Bosch. Really enjoy this show and I can't even tell you why. It's not super artsy or anything new and unusual but I find myself really enjoying it. TVIV has made the COVID times so much less stressful with an insane amount of good reccos. Thanks goons. You guys bat 1000.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Jett deserved better!!!!!

It really did.

Memnaelar posted:

Roanoke is my number 2. I liked Hotel the most, but can totally understand all the people who hated on it. For me, though, the trashy vampire/ghost nonsense with Evan Peters' ridiculous accent, Lady Gaga's over-the-topness, and Liz Freaking Taylor made it just untouchable. No other show will ever do it quite like Hotel's extravagance did it.

Yay for Hotel love. I loved it for the same reasons: trashy, fun camp. Everyone seemed to be having a blast; especially Gaga. AHS is usually a fairly solid show that can go surprisingly dark and yet come back to heartwarming and hilarious. Asylum was dark as gently caress but I would say that ending was really uplifting. 1984 is still among my favourite and managed to convert my non AHS co-workers into fans who streamed during the lockdown. I know people have gone into how Coven and Armageddon weren't that good but the only season I avoid rewatching is Freakshow. I can't even fully place why I didn't find it fun or enjoyable more than the others but I remember i just was this dirty feeling slog that I was glad to be done with.

I still want Jessica Lange and Evan Peters to come back at some point. I also want to ask they bring in Hale Appleman in for no other reason than I miss seeing him on my screen.

Memnaelar posted:

Also, three episodes in, I'm actually a little shocked at how mediocre American Horror Stories (the anthology spin-off) has been. I thought narrowing it down to a single story per episode (sorta) would give the show some much-needed focus and prevent the occasional go-nowhere episodes that AHS mainline is known for, but so far, it seems like a lot of the lows of the series with no real highs as yet. Episode 3 was about as by-the-numbers a John Carpenter homage as you get...

I've enjoyed it. Nothing brilliant but still fun. Found the 3rd episode to be a love letter to Carpenter and Lamberto Brava's Demons but I didn't hate it. I'm always a sucker for the apocalypse ending. As far as anthology series go I have seen far worse but I'm hoping for at least one amazing episode hidden inside (think San Junipero for Black Mirror).

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Been binging Black Summer out of boredom and... enjoying it so far. I remember snubbing it before due to being burned on Walking Dead (I quit when ST: Discovery lead had an entire episode crying and listening to headphones plus "PHALANX OUT!") but, despite being serious, well done and enjoyable. Really liking the Spears character (season 2 ep 5) and it cracks me up they filmed this not far from where I live. I also like that the obvious dumbasses die fairly quick as opposed to almost a decade. Feels like what I wish Fear of the Walking Dead had been although that show had a great season and a half between season 2 and 3. As far as Zed tv faire goes: not as good as the Kingdom but I'd put it up against early Walking Dead (that first WD episode is still one of the best zombie stuff around) and I am already hoping it gets a third season at least.

Wish I could find a hidden gem like Wayne or Patriot again.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Not sure who mentioned 'Wayne' on Amazon Prime.....but excellent show. 'Patriot' level under the radar show that EVERYONE should watch. Through three episodes and I'm absolutely loving it. Incredibly funny and heartfelt. All the characters are great. Violent without going overboard. Watch it. Do it now.

Wayne was great start to finish so I hope you love it as much as most of us did. Wayne and Patriot are two TVIV beloved picks and I am so glad that I followed their recommendation. As much as Wayne went to some dark places for some reason I always felt positive after watching it. Really, really hope it gets at least one more season. Really good show. Another great TVIV recommendation is Ted Lasso. A million times different than Wayne but drat if I don't feel just hopeful about life after watching it.

Raspberry Bang posted:

What the difference between the UK version of Utopia and the recent US version? Which one would you recommend?

As Chef said: its a cursed vile thing. Even separating it from the original show it is poorly made soulless very "genericly" american show that attempts to be edgy and substitutes any kind of nuance or artistic qualities with shouting, guns and more shouting. One of their attempts to make the main character edgy instead just killed any sympathy you might have had with her and made the rest of the gang look even more ridiculous for staying near her. Really the whole thing felt like a waste of time and most of the cast involved. Only thing I can say I enjoyed about it was that it introduced me to Chelsea Wolfe and the song "Survive" which makes me happy.

Side note: White Lotus has been excellent so far but it is NOT a feel good happy time. These people are terrible and, as someone who lives in a tourist spot and near a larger tourist trap, I can verify it captures rich white Americans perfectly and is giving me PTSD. I'm sure someone will "slow talk" or ask where they are really from to one of the Hawaiians at some point if I haven't already missed it. Arg.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mistermojo posted:

I really thought people that rich would just rent private villas, not want to stay at a resort with a bunch of others. the resort itself is obviously nice but its just a more upscale version of Cancun resorts millions go to

Well bear in mind there are levels of rich people. People on white lotus are wealthy but not "buy an entire island for vacation wealthy."

Robobot posted:

Old money doesn't negotiate. New money, they'd try to negotiate to get a McDonald's Dollar Menu down in price.

<Sigh> I feel like I'm gonna dox myself some and please keep it quiet as I don't want former clients deciding to ruin me because I slighted them on some old dead gay forum and rich people ARE petty enough (see the Koch brother that got conned out of 50k for champange but spent millions getting revenge and destroying the con man's life). Some old money will still negotiate but its more about power. Like that Shane Patton character.... it's not JUST that he didn't get the room, he didn't get something he wanted and people didn't grovel enough for him. Some wealthy people I've worked around were satisfied if you were invisible and all their needs are met but some need to have their egos stroked a certain amount. Normally the younger or middle failchildren who don't even have a ghost of a chance of taking over the business and are tormented by their elder siblings. Bear in mind these people are generally not any less ruthless or kind to their own families so you can imagine growing up in that kind of environment just naturally creates monsters. It's not that they all are born to eat children but when you are raised that self absorption, self fulfillment and actualization are the only things that matter AND take away any sense of consequence or empathy? That is what you are going to produce. John Oliver just did a thing on the Sackler family and that is very typical of my experiences. Resorts like the one in White Lotus might appeal to some of the ludicrously wealthy if they are known for their "customer service" as you will hear them talk about how it's nice to get around the common people again and not their stuffy high quality places they normally go to. "Plus at places like this they really know how to cater to the upper class." (Direct quote I overheard once)

To illustrate better I will share a story I've shared before on SA. I worked with a friend for this insanely wealthy (not Saudi Prince wealthy but Russian Oligarch wealthy) guy who bought some primo land and built this mansion that has a very distinctive look (again please dont dox as this guy will kill me.... like I may not even be halfway kidding). We were just contracted to install his cameras, motion sensors , internet and wifi. Really easy summer money for a young broke artist like myself. Not only was the dude racist (imagine foreign dude asking where you are actually from because he thinks you look too asian) but there was this inhuman chill behind his shark grins. So this "castle" is nice and built with all kinds of stuff you'd see in a movie, complete with peacocks in the yard he somehow got flown in. My friend and I did not stick around outside of the work as, again, this guy was a bit scary but I liked looking at them walking around and wondered how they would do in the fall and winter as it can get really loving cold here. Sometimes they would do their calls and I just thought it was nice and a exotically beautiful. Towards the very end of the short contract, his son comes over, a kid of around 10 or so who does not speak to anyone and just looks sullenly at everything. Dad decides they should bond so he gets some fancy rear end compound bow with all the added gubbins and goes hunting.... for peacocks. Like he just shot them all on a lark and I heard him commenting about the next shipment. I guess I looked horrified enough that he looked at me with derision and chuckled at my soft weakness. Kid killed some alongside him and never stopped looking bored. I still remember seeing those beautiful birds, that I'd sometimes talk to and just enjoy watching, bloody for no reason that someone's whim. They aren't good hunting just so it's said.

Anyway White Lotus good and try and avoid working for vacationing wealthy people: old or new wealthy. Just avoid the wealthy unless its to introduce them to Madame Guillotine.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

All this Station Eleven talk makes me think I should check it out.

It’s really good and has a nice ending. Speaking of endings. Binged through the Leftovers. Thanks yet again goons as that was a great emotional ride. Had some real life things hit me hard and this was the perfect time to watch this show. Put me in a far better place than I expected it to. So thank you.

On Y. It had some semi interesting ideas and I loved that comic when I was young but the show was fairly bad. Didn’t even have a notable bad moment like Ed from the live action Cowboy Bebop to make me laugh… just kinda tedious and boring.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I love Red Harvest, Yojimbo, and Last Man Standing (the movie) so much. Every time I'm reminded the conservative Boomer sitcom exists, I get a little sad and disappointed.

gently caress yeah. Loved that Bruce Willis movie. Christopher Walken is always a joy though. Clint Eastwood’s version was also good. Always loved Ronin movies remade as westerns even if it’s just a spiritual remake and now going to see if Quick and the Dead is around or Once Upon A Time in the West.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

(some non-specific Breaking Bad mild spoilers below also, in-case there's anyone that still hasn't seen it)

Been watching Barry. I like how in the latest season he's gone full-on creepy violent weirdo. It's a bit like how Walter White's arc in Breaking Bad started out where at first people sided with him and rooted for him, but eventually everyone most people reached (at various different points throughout the story depending on their personal perspective) a point where they realised they'd been watching the antagonist the whole time. I also appreciate the very dark streak of tragic humour that permeates the show.
Yeah… I was always rooting for Barry until this last season. I always thought of him as a hosed up guy both created and groomed by the world around him to become a monster but never quite a monster himself. I hoped he’d grow and evolve because I love Bill Hader. This last season made me come to the conclusion I’ve been a twat and you can’t save him… everyone else can hopefully survive him. Barry destroys and fucks up everyone around him. I’m now watching with hopes for Gene Cousteau, Sally and Noho Hank. Please let them live and write best selling books. Noho Hank must find true love, retire to some beach and absolutely ROCK Hawaiian patterned shirts. Love me some adorable Noho Hank.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I finished The Strain and the show is definitely stupid. The kid also never gets better. My enjoyment of the show improved once I started skipping anytime he showed up.

It’s stupid but a fun stupid until the kid shows up. He ruins everything so it’s just a natural progression to him nuking humanity. The WORST.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I found Avenue 5 pretty mediocre. Except for those 5 minutes that are the most accurate social commentary of our doomed era that I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo

I still say we make a new Voyager and include this episode with the caption “this is the best summary of humanity we can provide”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Aight, so Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Ageny

Also, last I checked, Prime has Farscape, which is awesome... after about sixteen episodes. But it's a very good, dumb time. They had the Matrix guys come in and co-ordinate a fight scene they shot in the pitch black, where the entire thing is just lit by them firing live flares at each other. Great show.

You might also enjoy Reacher, and Upload (not quite an action thing though). Also both on Prime.

Backing up the love for Dirk Gently’s and Farscape. DGHDA is a bit quirky, which threw a friend of mine off, but really good. I still am sad it didn’t get at least one more season but that is more about me genuinely liking the characters and feel of the show.

Farscape is one of my old school favourites. Love this show and was one of the few I watched when it came out. The first season starts a bit rough but I would say don’t skip it, aside from the one where Crichton starts with a super fake beard. Lots of action, drama and comedy. If you liked the Guardians of the Galaxy films well good news as James Gunn was also a Farscape fan. Warning: Really good show though you will hit a gut punch of a series finale that will require you stream Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars movie in order to not cry/hate me for recommending. Outstanding series from the end of the 90s/early 00s.

Do you like slightly trashy and occasionally stupid but still fun action? On Hulu there is a show called The Strain which was an FX thing. Dracula comes to modern day America and boy, do things escalate. It’s not brilliant but still a lot of trashy action fun.