Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Terriers.

Started and finished over the weekend. Great show. What a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

After putting it off for years, I'm finally getting around to The Wire. I'm about 7 episodes into season 1 so far. It's a drat good show, but I can't say I'm blown away yet. I suspect things pick up now that they've laid the groundwork.

My favorite parts have been D'angelo's musings on life, specifically comparing chess to their line of work and about the poor sap who invented the Chicken McNugget.

Edit: Oh gently caress, episode 10. poo poo gettin' real!

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 20, 2010

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

I know what you mean. I'd heard so much about it, but when I first started watching it I didn't get what the hype was about. It was probably the best police procedural drama I'd ever seen, but ultimately it was not that different from other cop shows. Then as I got to later seasons and saw the story zoom out, and out, and out again it became clear that it was something else entirely.

Very interesting. I just finished the first season and liked it quite a bit. And while I can say is very unique, I don't see it as one of the greatest shows ever yet.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The best part of The Wire is how everyone says "police."

Po' Lease

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Finally finished The Wire tonight.

I don't know if it's the best show I've ever seen, but it's up there. I definitely know I've never seen anything like it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Early Prison Break is awesome.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

scr0llwheel posted:

Just caught up to real time with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and am now slowly working through The Wire. I just watched the "gently caress" scene and the show is good but it doesn't have the I-need-to-watch-the-next-one-right-now hook.

The Wire never really blows you away. It has very few "Holy poo poo!" moments. (There are definitely some, though.) It just quietly seeps into your brain and after a while you realize that you've never seen anything quite like it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

So I just started watching Archer and holy shitballs is it hilarious! I'm usually not into animated shows, but I heard really good things about it. If I had known that was the cast, I would have been watching it all along.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 30, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Cactus posted:

Funny how that happens. I only first heard of Terriers while browsing this thread about 24-48 hours ago and since then I've seen it mentioned positively in a couple of places. Is it a frustrating blue-ball of a cancellation like Firefly or does it all wrap up and end nicely? I need to know before starting it.

It wraps up the season long arc. No blue balls.

The cliffhanger is one of those that could have ended a movie. It's not crucial to enjoying the series.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Noxville posted:

And, watching it in a short period means you skate past a bunch of possible plot holes and things that don't make sense without noticing them, whereas with a week between episodes pretty much everything gets noticed and it was assumed there would be good reasons for the things that don't make sense. When there weren't and it became apparent that they pretty much were making things up as they went people were disappointed.

Sounds like :lost:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

I tried to watch The Office (Both US and UK) but I'm just not a fan of Awkward humor. Kind of the same with Parks and Recreation. A few episodes in you start to feel bad for Leslie Knope rather than simply laughing at her.

Get past the first season. It's only six episodes. Parks and Rec gets much better in the second season. By the end of that season, you'll want to be Leslie Knope.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Meow Cadet posted:

I'm midway through the second episode of The Wire. So far, it's been a chore to get through, and I have to stop every 15-20 minutes because I just can't take it anymore.

I keep hearing that this is the best TV Drama ever! If I don't like the first few episodes, am I doomed? Or is it going to grow on me?

I didn't think The Wire was so amazing even after I finished the first season. It was good, but it didn't blow me away. By the time I got to the end of the series, though, I was in love with it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Finally getting around to Friday Night Lights. About three episodes in and liking it very much so far. Not at all what I expected.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

There's been some discussion of Day Break here recently, so this might be a good spot to ask. Did anyone hear how Day Break was going to continue if they brought it back? They left a few loose ends there at the end. Were they going to follow up on those? And were they were going to keep the same day-repeating technique? And were they were going to keep the same day-repeating technique?

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 15, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm also interested in Parks and Recreation, but I've heard that the first season is pretty lousy. Should I skip the first season and hop into the second or just try and power through season one as quickly as possible?

Watch the first season. It's only 6 episodes.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Been watching some episodes of The Good Guys. It's pretty hard not to like that show even though it doesn't really blow me away or make me laugh a ton. It's just a nice show.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Finally getting around to The Shield. Just starting season 2 and digging it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

ThaGrandCow posted:

Enjoy the ride! I rank it up there along with Breaking Bad and The Wire. I cannot recommend it enough. Season 2 starts starts the story that the rest of the series is based around, although not until about the middle of season 2. You might want to check into the Shield thread and let them know you're watching for the first time, people in there will probably want to hear your reactions to certain scenes. Don't spoil it for yourself!

Well, I'm on season 3 now, so I'm past that point. Are you referring to the money train. That would be interesting if it carried through the rest of the show.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Just about to wrap up season 2 of The Leftovers.

Fantastic show. Totally underrated, IMO. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Acht posted:

One more; is House of Cards great?

Season 1 & 2, absolutely. Season 3 is crap, IMO.

computer parts posted:

A lot of people like to see the main character as an unstoppable badass that owns everyone.

For this reason, a lot of people did not like Season 3, but did like the other two seasons.

Season 1 & 2 were about him executing a revenge plan. Season 3 was about life after the plan succeeds, which was much more boring IMO.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 10, 2016

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Shadow posted:

The writers also forgot who the characters were. It's as if they never saw the first two seasons. No one really behaved like themselves, especially Frank and Claire. Also too much Stampor. He's better in the shadows.

Oh so, so much Doug. I forgot all about that.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Shadow posted:

I think Vikings is starting back up soon too!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

The 100 surprised me at the end of the third episode.

By the end of the fourth episode of the 100 it cemented a place as a really dark post-apocalyptic show. If you can watch the 4th episode of the 100 and then dismiss it as some CW teen show, then I don't know what to say. The 100 got really dark really fast.

I'm really glad I saw this post. I had watched three episodes of this show and was just about to give up on it. The 4th and 5th episodes are pretty amazing. I'm glad I stuck with it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

So season 1 of "The 100" was good, but season 2 seems to be "the story of everyone trying to find each other in the wrong places." It's like Keystone Cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Watched 1 episode of The 100 and I'm not sure I can get passed the teenager stuff. I get embarrassed about how angsty is all is.

The first few episodes are kind of bad. If you're not interested by episode 6, let it go.