Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just now started going through The IT Crowd. I knew it was a Linehan show so I guess I sort of knew what to expect, but it was still a pleasant surprise. I'm midway through the second season and while I can't honestly say it's the best show I've ever seen or anything, it's pretty funny and keeps me coming back for more.

Except for The Work Outing which may have been the funniest 24 minutes of TV I've seen in YEARS. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at something on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bown posted:

I completely agree on The Work Outing, such an hilarious episode. The way everything ties together when Jen turns around and Moss is at the bar is fantastic. I wasn't as big a fan of season 3, though, and season 4 (aside from the fairly great opener) is just duff, and ruined Moss' character for me.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Whole-heartedly agree. Every single part of that episode was just laugh out loud funny. Now you're going to make me watch it again, and once I start I'll probably just keep watching.

Moss is the greatest sitcom character ever created.

Yeah, I caught up with what Netflix has to offer here Canada (through the end of Season 3) and I think it may be losing a LITTLE steam but still some great episodes. The granny calendar and nerd shoot had me laughing about as hard as anything in the entire run so I'm optimistic! Can't wait to watch four but I'm a little worried about what you're saying about Moss :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Archer.

It's REALLY good. I'm not sure why I didn't look it up earlier. Jon Benjamin is the best voice actor, despite only actually ever doing one voice. He somehow manages to adapt it to every character he plays.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I'm the only person on the planet for whom The Wire didn't do anything AT ALL. I had to force myself to sit through the first few episodes and then I just sort of threw up my hands and said "welp" and ejected the DVD forever :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Agreed 100%. I, Claudius was an amazing series. The only thing I didn't like was that it had to come to an end.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are you serious? This is going to be amazing. If they follow the format of the original series it shouldn't be that expensive either. Rome suffered from a huge budget, but it was also extravagantly set. I imagine they can get away redoing this one for a fraction of Rome's budget and still make it look absolutely epic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just marathoned through Red Dwarf and I can honestly say that I kind of wish I'd not and just remembered it being awesome from when I watched it back in the day. It a funny show for about the first two seasons, but after that it got pretty lame pretty quick. There were still great lines and gags but overall the quality took a giant nosedive, or at least something about the show changed to where I didn't give a gently caress anymore.

I'd say it's worth watching for the first two seasons, then after that proceed at your own risk to find the rest of the treasure buried amidst mountains of bland comedy.

My next two marathons:

Fawlty Towers
Are You Being Served

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 15, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gravy Jones posted:

Binging on Are You Being Served would make me want to blow my brains out though. Maybe an episode or two for the nostalgia but a binge? God no.

Fawlty Towers on the otherhand is of course awesome.

Yeah, binging on Are You Being Served is definitely an acquired taste. I don't usually run through every single episode when I marathon it, but instead I usually do half the episodes per season so it's sort of "new" every other time I run through the series. I don't really have any issue with the show though. The camp is amazingly funny, the ridiculous innuendo makes me laugh every time just because it's so obvious.

I usually manage en episode or two per night and I make it into a two or three week thing.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 16, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also makes me want to find One Foot in the Grave.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm in the same boat. So the 2010 one would be appropriate for someone who knows absolutely nothing about Dr. Who? Like I know there's a guy that's the doctor and there's some sort of travelling police box or something, and daleks exist. That's literally all I know.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

About a third through Star Trek TNG. Holy hell was season one painful. Encounter at Farpoint was such terrible writing that I think it gave me cancer.

Luckily there's a lot there to love as well :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think that's because Brent Spiner is such a typecast actor in my mind. Anything that deviates from "Data" is just plain weird. Plus he has a tendency to completely ham up the part of Lore. We get that he's evil and has feelings, but the way he's portrayed it comes off as more comical than scary.

I think deep down I always knew how inconsistent the show was, but watching them all one after another really drove it home. They never bothered me this much when they were individual episodes on TV for some reason.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DominoDancing posted:

I'm pretty sure that's it. It's like watching Dr. Evil.

I think he's trying to play it as if lore is borderline psychotic -- a well mannered killer, but you're absolutely right -- Dr. Evil :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Conversely, I loved it from day one. I should find the latter seasons, I only have 1 and 2 on DVD and haven't watched past that just because I keep forgetting to look it up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

30 Rock.

For the first time ever.

Holy gently caress.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Deadwood.

Wow. Just...goddamn.

I love watching this series every few months only to get frustrated as gently caress at the stupid non-resolution non-ending.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You're doing it wrong. Just watch those Season 1/2 episodes to laugh at the mountain of camp. The good stuff, as everyone says, doesn't start until 3-or-so.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I'll take the flip side of this argument. I just marathon'd 30 Rock for the first time in preparation for Season 6 because people told me it was great and I wanted to be in on it. I found it to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV. Each episode left me rabid to hit play on the next one. In retrospect there were some episodes that didn't shine as much as the rest, but I still think it is heads and shoulders above just about every sitcom on TV right now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

3rd Rock From The Sun.

I didn't watch it religiously when it first ran, but I started catching reruns and god drat it made me so nostalgic that I just kept on watching.

There's something so funny about the outrageousness of the comedy that completely hits home with me. The humour is really hard to place. It's really base and crude by sitcom standards, very slapstick. Not performed to perfection like NewsRadio did it, but the premise allows for some really ridiculous comedy that wouldn't really fly in any other setting.

I don't think there's any good way to articulate it. It's just funny to me, even when the gags are groaners. I find myself laughing at things I wouldn't in any other show.

It didn't find its rhythm for a few episodes, but I think by the middle to late 1st season it was chugging along on all cylinders.

Love it!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Deadwood :swoon:

Now I know what I'm re-watching next.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The thick of it. loving brilliant.

e: I am watching this and clawing at my face at some of the awkward tension but I can't make myself stop watching. This is such an amazing loving show. The only lovely thing is that I know I've only got like five episodes left.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 15, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Doctor Who revival. Just started Season 3.

All I can say is holy poo poo why was I not watching this from day one??

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

It's really loving weird how they brought Lovitz into the fold. He played the guy who was going to jump out of the building and the guy who was loving with Bill in the insane asylum too. There's no explanation how he plays three different characters at three different points in the show.

I thought it suited the show really well. Just a goofy thing that isn't really explained and you just have to shrug and laugh.

I think they had some pretty decent episodes post-Hartman, and it's worth watching through season five at least once because the rest of the cast is still spot on (and even Lovitz kind of gets good), but obviously the great episodes are pre-Max Lewis.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The thing that endears me to NewsRadio is that it seems like everyone involved in the show both "got" it, and had an insane amount of fun working on it. I honestly can't think of a single bad episode in the show's first four seasons, and then they sort of had a huge dynamic change thrust upon them in the fifth season but still managed to pull out a really solid bunch of comedy.

It's one of those shows that really holds up to how funny I remember it being.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A really short one, but: Mr. Bean.

only a handful of episodes. Generally holds up well. Pretty timeless, really. Only downside is they there's not enough of it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I went through Blackadder a few months ago but forgot to post about it. I liked it all, except for the first series, honestly. I just don't think it found its footing until the second series.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

richardfun posted:

It's been so long, remind me. How did Blackadder change radically after the first season?

It was also shot on location in a castle somewhere, and the quality was just not .. there? I guess shooting it on a soundstage made a big difference too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I just started watching the revived Doctor Who. Just started series 4. Wish I had given this show more of a shot when I tried it out a year ago cause it's quite a fun little show.

Stop making it harder to hate you :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Carey Price is a Cool Guy

:woop:

quote:

I hated Eccleston. Part of the reason I stopped watching when I first tried a year ago.

Come post your Doctor Who journey in the Doctor Who threads! I just finished catching up on the series and I'm (we're) eager to hear others' experiences :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have eight episodes left in my Suits binge and I don't know how I'm going to live life without at least two episodes a day from now on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Scrubs.

I've been binging Scrubs.

Halfway through season 3 on Netflix and I've skipped ahead to look at the episode descriptions and holy poo poo what the hell is up with the last season? :raise:

I watched this show when it first aired but I conked out about this point so all the episodes are new to me now :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I'm still going through Scrubs and the whole thing is so repetitive in a really charming way. I think that may be why I stopped watching it originally, because it felt like the episodes were like 5 minutes of new material and 15 minutes of rehashed arguments or scenarios or whatever. It seems less annoying this time around though, and when episodes stand out they really REALLY stand out and are a treat.

I really really love the music selection though. My friend just called it a slice in time and I tend to agree. Brings back huge memories of the 2000s for me and it's awesome.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just "finished" Scrubs. I am kind of waffling about S9 now. I didn't think the interns were all that annoying so I kind of want to watch S9 but the S8 finale was so proper that I can't make myself press play on S9E1.

Is there a term for the feeling you get when you finish watching a series on Netflix and realize it's done? :smith:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 12, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Schitt's Creek.

Went in with zero expectations based on the fact that every comedy in recent memory I can think of which originated in Canada was (imo) borderline unwatchable. Was really surprised to find that it was genuinely funny and endearing.

Was worried it would just be CBC's take on Arrested Development or something but I'm glad to see they took it to interesting places.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I burned through Disenchanted and then started Final Space on Netflix today. Maybe it’s the fact that I’ve been watching tv for most of the day but I’m having a real hard time dealing with Final Space. It’s so much emphatic yelling and fast action that I had to turn it off after four episodes. I’ll go back for more but it feels like ADHD: SPACE

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok yeah I burned through the rest of Final Space. Decent show but gently caress Olan Rogers. His forced acting made this a constant battle to not just turn off the tv.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Niles remains one of my favourite fictional characters of all time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve been burning through Frasier. Halfway through and I absolutely forgot what a gem this show was. There are a handful of skippable episodes every season but overall this is an amazing time sink that I don’t regret at all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Orlando Furioso posted:

With everything going on right now my recent binge has been focused on comedy - I have been rewatching old series of Taskmaster, one of my favourite UK shows in recent times.

This reminds me to do my semi-annual binge of any and all episodes of “Would I Lie to You” I can find on YouTube. That’s my British TV guilty pleasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's probably best you've never made it to the end of S3 then, saves you some aggravation over the lovely ending-non-ending.

That said, I burned through it a few months ago at the beginning of quarantine and my reaction to the end of S3 was definitely tempered. I think the annoyance was there when I first watched the series and was super invested in it, but now that I know it's coming I was very "meh" on it.