Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

MI-5/Spooks. Ever since I got netflix and realized they had the first 4 seasons available for streaming to my xbox I can't stop watching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Spooks is blowing my mind. They keep replacing the main characters! First Tom goes, now Zoe, and I had to read up on Danny and find out he gets killed. I've never seen a show to ditch all the main characters like this from season to season. It also surprised me that they got rid of them mid-season instead of in the season finale's. I do like Adam as a replacement for Tom though. He's like Tom, but without the love drama crap.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

Someone in a Spooks thread once posted about how the show was getting less realistic, and I agreed with them completely. In the first season (episode even?) there was a terrorist threat to shoot rockets at a nuclear plant. They called in snipers and the terrorists were taken out. Later in the series, you have the MI5 agents raiding buildings themselves, shooting people etc... rather than gathering intel like they did in the first couple of seasons.

It is still a really good show, and hasn't gotten to CSI like levels of unbelievability yet, but I liked the first seasons a lot more than the latter ones.

As long as Harry is still there I'll still watch. Please tell me Harry is still there. :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I just got caught up in Spooks. I love and hate how they just kill off main characters at random. I hate it when they do it, but then it adds to the suspense of a scene because anyone could die at any time. Although, if they ever get rid of Harry I'll stop watching.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just started Star Trek: TNG. Gonna start TOS at some point. The only Star Trek I have seen through from beginning to end is Voyager and I think that needs to change. Might do DS9 at some point.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just started Burn Notice. Lets hope it's as good as everyone says.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just starting the 3rd season of Star Trek TNG. What should I watch after I'm done TNG, Voyager, DS9, or Enterprise?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Almost done season 1 of Dead Like Me. Assholes at netflix thought it was a good idea to make the entire first season capable of being streamed, except for the last 2 episodes. :argh:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

And episode one of season two. :argh: Netflix. If you say you have the season available for streaming, have every episode. Not whatever ones you want.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Jedi posted:

I thought I'd give the new Doctor Who a whirl, so I added it to my instant queue. Over half the first season isn't available for streaming. For Dead Like Me though, the episodes should be up on Hulu.

Also, I think it's more the studio who decides these things, not Netflix.

So the studio would tell them they could put up episodes 1, 3, 5-7, 9, and 11, but not the rest? That seems horribly retarded of them.

edit: Sigh, I had season 1 of Doctor Who on my instant queue too. I guess I'm never gonna see it. I stream to my xbox, so things like Hulu don't let me watch the shows on my couch.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 13, 2009

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations of TV series available on Netflix Watch Instantly? I've worked my way through Dexter, Lost, Brotherhood, and just recently stumbled on The State Within. Are there any gems hidden in there with 10,000 seasons of SVU/CSI/Murder She Wrote worth catching?

I recommend Spooks (or MI-5 everywhere but the UK). The first 4 seasons are available for streaming, while 5 and 6 are not yet. The series starts off excellent, but does start to trail off in later seasons. It starts as a spy show, and morphs into sort of 24-Lite by season 5. I don't mind, but some people didn't like that.

edit: How is The State Within? I've had in in my queue but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The State Within is pretty good, it's nice to see Jason Isaacs not being typecast as a bad guy, but rather the hero. Good production values, and it's weird seeing the mom from Burn Notice being a tough Secretary of Defense.

I tried to watch 3 episodes of Spooks and it bored the hell out of me. I went on sort of a British mini series binge a while back and I decided that I really like the State Within, State of Play, and Wallander.

I haven't seen the first season in a while but I think it did start off a little slow. It does pick up though. State if Play is amazing as well. Was the American movie any good? I can't see how they could condense down a 6 hour miniseries without having it lose important bits.

edit: I remember the first few episodes of spooks were basically a bunch of boring poo poo about Tom's life with the family he's lying too, but I think they have those people gently caress off quickly.

edit2: Yeah the girlfriend is only in the first 7 episodes.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 13, 2009

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hustle is totally worth it though. One of my favorites.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just started Castle. I didn't want to watch it originally cause I really like Nathan Fillion and didn't want to get wrapped up in another one of his shows only to have it canceled. After it got a 2nd season I decided to give it a shot and it's pretty good for a crime drama.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

So I saw the ads for the new season of Chuck and it got me interested. Would I be making a mistake getting into it?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ultimates2 posted:

Over the past week or so I watched all of Dead Like Me. Season one was amazing, but season two got kind of hokey. I'm not saying it got bad, but the quality definitely declined from the first season, so I can see why they stopped making it.

Haven't watched the movie yet, since I've only heard bad things about it. I'll get around to it eventually.

Yeah I felt the same way. I blew through season 1 in under a week. I've been stuck in the middle of season 2 for a couple months now. I just feel like yelling "shut the gently caress up and do your goddamn job you worthless sack of poo poo" at George almost every episode now.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

WarriorPriest posted:

I just blasted my way through Life on Mars - the US version and loved every second of it. I really hate that I skipped over it when it was originally being aired.

I would like to have seen another season, oh well.

You've seen the UK version, correct?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

WarriorPriest posted:

I've not seen the UK version, in fact I only found about the UK version after trying to find out what the cast of the US crew. I'm definitely going to be checking out the UK version now though.

Edit: And apparently I should try to find Ashes to Ashes if that tickles my fancy.

UK version is 100 times better than the American one. I couldn't get into Ashes to Ashes though even after loving Life on Mars. The female protagonist pisses me off. Not even Gene Hunt could save it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Jedi posted:

Agreed. I loved the British version, but unlike most people, I enjoyed the US version in its own right. While they started out with the same basic premise, I think the US version went in its own direction.

I watched it and thought it was alright. Although after the UK Gene Hunt I just couldn't believe Harvey Keitel as Gene Hunt. That was it's biggest flaw in my opinion.

edit: oh and the US had the hysterical ending.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Based on this thread I picked up season 1 of the West Wing. Don't lead me wrong TVIV.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Leviathan posted:

You are going to be thoroughly entertained for at least 4 seasons.

Good. Still probably gonna watch the whole thing. Just watched the first episode and really liked it.

Hell, I still watch Heroes. If I can still do that, the West Wing can't get bad enough for me to turn it off.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Up to episode 7 in West Wing. drat this show. Makes me want to do my poli sci homework.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just finished season 1 of The West Wing.

Holy poo poo

Why did I not watch this before?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Always hated it when it first aired because I was relatively young and though it was boring, but college refined my tastes hundred-fold so I should probably give it a go based on the adoration for it here.

This was pretty much my reason for not watching it. "Politics? Pffft. Boringggggggggggg." But now being over voting age and actually having an interest in government, it's a very fun show. And it's all thanks to the love it's been getting in this thread.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You all were right. Two Cathedrals was the best. That whole arch was awesome. Time to start season 3.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I stopped watching The Wire in the middle of the season that focused on the news paper. Everything up to that point was awesome. News paper drama was boring as poo poo.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

qbert posted:

So basically you stopped like 4 episodes from finishing the entire series?

Pretty much. I read the plot summaries for the last couple of episodes online and it only seemed like I missed maybe 1/2 an episode of stuff I would have found interesting.

I loved the rest of the show though. I powered through everything but the end of the last season in about a week and a half.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Starks posted:

I'm finally watching/binging through Rome, after having it recommended to me over and over again but not really learning anything about it (other than what time period it's set in). The first season was amazing is definitely up there as one of my favourite shows of all time. I'm about halfway through the second season, and I kind of feel like there's been a drop in quality. I mean it wasn't really the most subtle show in the first place, but the second season has felt much more over-the-top to me. I think I'm over that initial disappointment though and am just enjoying the ride now, it's still a great show just seems a lot more sensationalist. Did anyone else feel this way?

The second seasons flaw is they condensed a gently caress ton of historical happenings (that happened years apart too) into the last half the season. I remember reading they were planning on many of the happenings in the last half of that season being integral plot points to following seasons but decided to cram them all together after it was learned that would be the last season.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I finally bit the bullet and bough the Battlestar Galactica blu-ray box set. Just finished the 2 part mini-series. Liking it alot so far.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just finished season 3 of Battlestar Galactica.

:tviv:

Part of me wishes I had watched this when it originally aired, but another part of me is thankful I can just pop in the next disc to keep watching episodes.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

Imagine that ending. Then imagine waiting over a YEAR for the continuation. While stewing on a cliffhanger like that is fine for a little bit, it gets old after like a month.

Alright then. I'm glad I didn't watch it when it aired. That would royally suck.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just finished BSG. gently caress the haters, ending was awesome. Now time to watch Razor and The Plan.

Is Caprica worth watching?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

HydroPimp posted:

Love me some Jericho. I binged through it a second time with a buddy (his first time) this summer, the rewatch is totally worth it. There's an amazing amount of foreshadowing in that show.

Just finished Seasons 2 of Battlestar Galatica and Prison Break. BSG is just as amazing as everyone has said it is. Prison Break is not quite as good as season 1, but still entertaining me quite a bit. I really hope it doesn't get silly in S3.

Prepare to have your hopes thrown to the ground, given a good kicking, raped, then kicked again for good measure.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Do Rome before The Shield.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

Dive in now. It's frustratingly short, but that's about the only fault I can find with it. I'd put it on par with The Shield (minus a few explosions) or early Homicide.

Plus it's coming back next week!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just finished through season 2 of Misfits. Everyone should watch it. Anyone on the fence because of the shitfest Heroes was should give it a chance. I hated Heroes, yet love Misfits. Really, the first 2 seasons are shorter than the first season of Heroes. It is really hard to describe the show without making it sound really lame, which is it's greatest weakness. But it is really great. Give it a shot. You won't regret it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

In the middle of season 1 of Breaking Bad. Wish I had started it sooner.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just finished season 2 of Breaking Bad. Holy poo poo. Walter just can't catch a break can he? :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If you don't like battles you probably shouldn't watch war movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

MeKeV posted:

Most recent one I got through was The Unit. I was expecting it to be a bit like The Shield but army based. So was surprised when it turned out more like a procedural. But it's turned out as probably my favorite procedural to date, in that it didn't really feel like one, there wasn't the repetitive formulated and predictability that you get in others like House.

The Unit is 30 minutes of President Palmer shooting bitches, and 30 minutes of Army Wives that no one could give a poo poo about. Also ninja monks and the spear of destiny at one point.