Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

clown shoes posted:

If you like Garner, she's very good in The Assistant, which is currently streaming on Hulu.

She was also in the most batshit crazy episode of Modern Love, which we happened to watch before starting Ozark and whenever she says "daddy" there I can't help but giggle:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8543400/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

The plot is basically "girl whose father died when she was young tries to hang out with a guy who is kinda father-like to her, and he understandably thinks she's into him" but it's so much more batshit than that. The first five minutes are her like, fattening him up with cookies to make him more "daddy like".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The first season is focused on Dennis (or whatever his character is named) trying to get revenge but season 2 drops that. The second is more about him growing to like his job and the people around him. Not sure where the 3rd season can go other than be more of a traditional sitcom but the cast is good so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Season 3 had, to me, a very Community vibe in terms of just accepting that it's a show and going nuts with it. There's more than one meta-show joke in each episode at this point, and it feels like it's really hitting its stride.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think breaking bad is different. Walt owns his enemies but it’s just two drug dealers fighting.

Vic is a cop which at least theoretically should be a good profession, so showing him doing bad things but those bad things being really effective undercuts any message you can have

The pedophile episode is the best example of that

I haven't seen it since it aired, but I do recall it tried to both-sides it a lot. It portrayed Vic as a dirty cop who had moments where he "did the right thing" or at least was motivated not to be a monster, but those were balanced out by his being a monster more often than not. And while the show could've spent more time humanizing the gangs in a similar way as it did the strike team, by and large most of the time spent with them was dehumanizing or focused on the Worst of the Worst. It's a show where Basically Everyone Sucks, and I don't know it if was really trying to get the viewers to extrapolate more meaning from it than that. It's a very cynical show, even if the ending was harsh to Vic.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Ted Lasso. Watch it. Super cliche kind of set up but the character of Ted Lasso will win you over by the end of episode 2. The guy has heart. I really thought it was going to be dumb and goofy and instead it's quick, clever and charming.

Take it from me, some person on the internet!

Yeah, it's just an earnest, good show. It humanizes basically everyone but the one super rich dude who is a giant philandering prick, and is just plain sweet all around.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

It definitely gets better. Keep going.

Seconded. I thought it was just mildly ok for most of the first season, but right around the end it starts hitting on all cylinders, and from season two on it's just a wonderful show.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

I finished Ted Lasso, and it was definitely one of the best things I've seen this year. Does anyone who has watched it have any recommendations for other similar shows? The feel-good is just so wonderful.

If you haven't seen it, Schitt's Creek has a very good sort of sweet comfort to it after the first bit of the first season (when it's harder on the fish out of water thing)

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm getting into S2 now and it feels like its starting to really hit a stride with both the humor and just the really genuinely heartwarming stuff of the family learning to be a family. I just watched Alexis basically beg David for a hug and the two cry embracing each other and it was really, really sweet.

I feel like its got a deeply unfortunate name and initial premise and pitch. I had seen commercials for years and just written it off and even after the first episode or two I just though it was gonna be dumb sophomore humor like Chris Elliot's character. But it feels like they figured out how to adjust the dials really quickly. I never would have given it a look, or stuck past the pilot if it weren't for that Emmy sweep making me curious.

The first season is comparably rough. They spin their wheels for a while doing a lot of fish-out-of-water stuff, and it takes a while for them to settle in to humanize the town and give you the expectation that the Roses are well intentioned but inexperienced and not just giant rich assholes (though the jokes about their hedonistic pasts do remain, but take on more of an air of "this is what I once was" as time goes on). I watched season 1, then just ignored it until season 4 came out and we had run out of backlog stuff to watch. We binged from there and I was mad at myself for not having given it more of a fair shake the first time around.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Watched Woke over the course of this past week, and really enjoyed it. The best analog to it is probably Shrill, in that it tries to broadly tackle a topic (in this case, how an individual copes with systemic racism and becoming forcefully woke) while establishing a sort of broadly low-key universe full of pretty amusing characters. My wife didn't like it as much as Shrill, mostly because the first several eps sort of have Keef learning the same lessons over and over, but I thought it was solid. The level of handling racism isn't quite as deep as, say, Dear White People (well, the first two seasons at least), but I think it is pretty deft for the level it's going for without going into full overboard MESSAGE! level breakdowns. It's a hard balance to keep, but I'm looking forward to season 2, assuming it's renewed.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We finished it a few weeks ago, but do a Youtube search for "Inside Schitt's Creek." There are short little vignettes (about 2-4 minutes each) that aired with each episode on CBC, starring the cast members doing documentary-style interview segments IN CHARACTER. David, Alexis, Ted, Patrick, Stevie, Twyla, Jocelyn, Mutt, and a few others all show up, but no Johnny, Moira, or Roland, which was fine with me.

I can't tell if they were scripted or improvised, but they all have a loose, improvisational feel. Not every one works, but the vast majority will have you rolling. We watched them all over the last two nights, and it was so great spending a little more time with these characters.

Also worth noting that A Little Bit Alexis is a whole-rear end song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kF5zJIbn5U

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Jerry talk: I saw Nick offerman live twice. It's really fun, he had his family, a good time was had by all.

He still made a "Jerry sucks" joke, and while I know to some degree it's simple pandering, I was still like "ugh".

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Are we having fun yet? :smith:

*stops moving arm* "...oh. What happened?"

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Glad I've stuck with it through another four episodes. Lots of gaps have started to fill in. The sixth episode, 'Doom Patrol Patrol' in particular was really good. Not a very big fan of Cliff.

The whole show is about broken people coping in often very poor ways - everyone is a giant piece of poo poo at one point or another, some for longer.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I get that. Just don't find Brendan Fraser yelling "gently caress" every fifth word as endearing. But I did just binge the rest of the first season. It was pretty great.

Yeah. I think they're trying to make it his catch phrase of sorts and it is very annoying, I can't argue that

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Girls5eva is good.

Funniest moment for me is when the secretary from AP Bio whipped her boob out to prove she wasn't a prude. Good stuff.

Paula Pell is a national treasure. Her silly detective show on Quibi was cute too, but it was also obviously a half hour episode split in three three times for nine "episodes." God Quibi was stupid

In terms of light-hearted stuff, we're really enjoying Kim's Convenience. It has a similar sort of ensemble thing going on as Schitt's Creek did, and everyone is just a good hearted person (for the most part - everyone has moments where you just roll your eyes, especially Janet for the majority of the second season as a bit of a know-it-all).

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Argue posted:

Finished the available eps of Mythic Quest, enjoyed it a lot--it was basically "what if Silicon Valley, except its characters had some semblance of humanity?" It also easily had the best Zoom-based quarantine thing I've seen.

Finished the show last week and thought the same thing. The mind gently caress is that it aired in April, 2020 (according to Kodi anyhow, so I could be mislead), so it was written in the very early pandemic and managed to get everything right.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

But also they totally started making poo poo up.

Didn't the writers strike occur right in the middle of the series as well? But yeah, if you make a written by the seat of your pants mystery box show, maybe don't include "and they gave a plan" in the opening credits. It's a bit much to commit to.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Watched season two of Mythic Quest and dug the hell out of it. Once again....they had a mid season "standalone" episode that may have been the highlight of the season. Also....watched the two bridge episodes between the two seasons. The LARP one was fun.....but the pandemic one was really good. Lots of shows attempted the virtual type episode....and it sounds like most flopped. MQ nailed it on the other hand.

Anyways....very glad that it was renewed for two more seasons. It's really well written....and it's nice that a comedy like this is willing to divert from the typical formula to take chances.

The most mindblowing thing to me about the covid episode is that given when it aired, it must've been written like a month or two into the pandemic, and they got a lot of things right about how people felt months later.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I've been binging CC's Corporate. It's pretty fun, even if it's become pretty predictable by the 3rd season. The first season was probably the most interesting. It was a bit darker and much more of an absurdist experience. However it was also the most uneven. Overall, recommend if you're looking for like a 23 minute comedy to get some laughs out of.

https://i.imgur.com/pgUSz9b.gifv

I thought the whole run from seasons 1-3 was perfect. 2-3 definitely started to focus more on the ensemble, deepening some of the otherwise one-note characters, but I can't recall a bad episode in the entire run. I also appreciate that while I wanted more episodes, the show-runners were like "that's all we've got, we're gonna just go out on top".

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

There are a lot of vaguely sketched out and interesting threads in Severance, and I can see another season or two working if handled properly - and I want this to work out, I really enjoyed the first season! - but yeah, years of Mystery Box Shows have taught me there was never a plan and to expect an ending that makes sense/is actually enjoyable is to expect too much. I'd love to be proven wrong here, but fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice - we - y- I'm not gonna get fooled again

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Seasom 2 and Season 6 are a bit odd, for some behind the scenes reasons, but the show is well worth watching IMO.

I haven't watched it since it was on; I don't recall anything being particularly off about any season, but I was also much younger. What were the issues with those seasons production/behind the scenes-wise?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

There are definitely "of its time" moments with Scrubs, and it runs maybe two seasons too long, but it's a terrific hospital show that is recognized for its accuracy even in being a goofy comedy.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

emo-ignorance posted:

The airlock scene had me freaking tf out when it originally aired and I think I attributed the genius of that scene to the rest of the show.

Season 2 premiere was fine. I hope they continue leaning into the darkness tbh

Yeah, if the show can return and stay on the highs of the airlock scene or expand thoughtfully on how hosed up Earth is (as opposed to the various silly and pointless subplots relating to the various people on board), I'm down.

(I have yet to start S2, mind, so hopefully that's what's happening)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Armauk posted:

He "died," if you can call it that in the last season. I wonder if that restarts his age?

The next-to-last season. The current season went into this backstory sufficiently, I think.

He seems to have a 100 year life cycle of death/rebirth, accelerated adolescence, and re-education to becoming the Colin Robinson he always is/was. Bonus points for not knowing he's still an energy vampire when he's a kid, because kids are natural energy vampires. He only has to learn to be one as an adult via his hidden library to survive beyond that point. It also makes his "where do I come from" quest either a ruse or just a bit hollow; it's possible he just forgets he has a whole-rear end library of journals in his wall somehow over the course of 100 years, but it's also possible making other people join him in his quest to find his origin is just a nice wasted energy snack or something.