Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Anorak Revolution posted:

It seems that about everyone here at some point fell in love with a tv show on the first viewing and blew through a complete season (or series) on DVD in a space of a few days/weeks.

For me, it's been Six Feet Under. I had never watched this show until a week and a half ago. I had never been interested in this show before. The premise seemed a bit contrived and not that exciting, I wasn't sure where they could really go with it. I just couldn't be bothered, even if I read the hype about it here for years. I feel in love with Micheal C. Hall when I saw him in Dexter and thought he was just an incredible actor playing such a terrific character. In fact, that even put me off from watching SFU because I didn't think I'd be able to dissociate David from Dexter out of love for the latter so much. Well, I was incredibly wrong on all points. Through sheer boredom a week and a half ago, I happened to watch the pilot and tonight I finished the season 2 finale.

It's definitely one of the best television series ever created, and a proof that television can be a medium superior to cinema. Also, I never thought a tv show could make me cry so much. It really started with a bang, too. Never saw that coming. The mother's emotional pain after she received that phone call might be the most human and gripping expression of grief I've ever seen on tv. I felt like I had been punched in the gut. Right there I realized I was watching something special. Also, it's just incredibly funny.

So, what about you? (Try to restrict it to series already out on DVDs, or well Hulu too I guess)

I was the same way. I just added it randomly to my Netflix queue. And I absolutely love the show. I'm working on season 4 and it's just getting better. I really like it because it is a really dark humor which I tend to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Anorak Revolution posted:

Still binging on Six Feet Under, I just finished season 4, episode 5 (the one with David and the hitchhiker). It seems to get even more amazing. I can't believe that I purposely dismissed this series for years as looking like a total bore even after hearing about critical reviews.

That was one of the best episodes in the entire series. I just got the next disc and going to watch it straight like I usually do.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Bograth posted:

Beware, Season 4 is pretty AWFUL but Season 5 is absolutely fantastic.

I just finished 4, I wouldn't say it was that bad. But it did pick up near the end. God what a depressing show.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Pardot posted:

Even if every episode of Six Feet Under was poo poo, it would be worth watching all of them just to see the last part of the finale. Best ending of any show.

Well now I'm moving season 5 ahead in my netflix queue. I hope it is just as depressing as the rest of the series, hell I better break out in tears.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Well I finally finished Six Feet Under. I moved the final two discs after Nate collapsed as the last episode of the 3rd disc. God drat what a great last few episodes. Those few episodes made the entire series. The ending was also perfect. Now I have to find a new show to watch.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

ElScorcho posted:

Got Spaced from Netflix and watched it in two nights (not hard since there are only 14 episodes). Got interested in it after rewatching Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and it's hilarious. Pity there were only two seasons.

I'm just very happy that the American version fell through. Because that show was about the friendship of the people in it. And unless they would have found people similar it would have been a pile of poo poo.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

I've been working on Carnivale and Psych. I'm starting second season on Carnivale and only watched the pilot for Psych.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

I just finished Carnivale today, those bastards I demand a 3rd season.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Been watching Spaced and Coupling with a new lady friend. She's loved both so far. I'm going to start on Mad Men pretty soon.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

My girlfriend and myself have been watching How I met your Mother. I'm mad that I missed out on this, the first half of season 1 was meh but it picked up and we're 8 episodes into season 2. Just need to return some stuff to Netflix.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Kaleidoscope posted:

About 3/5 of the way through Six Feet Under and man what a terrible show to binge. I love it but god if it isn't like an emotional punch to the gut with every episode.

Just wait until the final episode. My girlfriend and I binged through the last season and she loved the final episode. We still talk about it several weeks later.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I've been binging through Coupling by Steven Moffat over the last couple of days - he's taking over Doctor Who so I wanted to see what was what. Oh my god it's hilarious. So what if the format is a ripoff of Friends and Seinfeld, it's one of the funniest drat shows I've ever seen. A simple search on a popular video website yielded the entire series.

Also started on Avatar season 1, it is pretty cool but I'm annoyed, only the first 4 episodes of season 2 have been released in Australia.

Series 4 is terrible. Jeff leaves and is replaced by a crappy actor.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

No Jeff? But he's the best!

Yes he is and it really does take away from the show sadly enough.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Series 4 IS terrible! Does Jeff lite ever get any better after the first episode? Good god.

Unfortunately, he does not, there is a cameo by Jeff in one of the last episodes.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Smorgasbord posted:

There's no doubt Ted is a douche, but I think they're starting to acknowledge that in show so it looks to be building for a storyline.

Robin also calls it on him several times. It's one thing we couldn't stand watching the show was Ted being a douche.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Just finished both seasons of Chuck in about 5 days. I held off for awhile for some unknown reason. Both of us really liked it, I can't wait till season 3.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Leviathan posted:

Also, can you guys tell me some of your favorite 90's shows?

Highlander. Adrian Paul is a much better actor than Christopher Lambert. Plus it's 5 seasons of more Highlander. Well if you ignore the last season and a half because it was lovely.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Leviathan posted:

Oh man I forgot how awesome this show was (one thing I do remember is that I was always sorely disappointed when all the decapitations were cutaway shots).

If I remember correctly you do see a few. I distinctly remember Richie's head coming off and rolling away.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

AFewBricksShy posted:

Any Recomendations?

First 3 series of Coupling are pretty good. The 4th just becomes meh. His episodes of Dr. Who are really good also, Blink specially.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Jedi posted:

Sadly, all our wishing will not make it true .

Alas poor Jeffrey, I knew him Mitthrawnuruodo, a fellow of infinite jest. I'm not sure I'd mind Oliver so much if he was there from the beginning, but there was just no replacing Jeff. As strong as the rest of the cast was, it was just too hard to shoehorn a new character into an existing spot. I'm glad they didn't stretch it out any further than that.

I never did understand why he didn't come back. And you are right Oliver was no replacement.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Jedi posted:

It's funny how different things in the UK are. You guys consider 22 episodes a lot, and for the US, that's 1 season on a lot of shows.

I don't know if they aired here, but they're available on DVD and that's good enough for me. I do agree that Coyle will rock in the role.

I really think 13 episodes is an excellent season. Six can be great but sometimes you want more right away, I'm looking at you Top Gear. Twenty-two can be great if you have decent writers. Unfortunately it seems there is always 2-3 filler episodes in a 22 episode season. I don't see why they don't do 13 episode seasons.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Leviathan posted:

I'm a little over halfway through the first season of Six Feet Under. It is certainly interesting and pretty quirky oh god Nate's GF possible incest alert christ, and I'm also shocked by the fact that it came out in 1999. Definitely ahead of its time.

Prepare for the greatest ending in any series I have seen. If you don't cry you have no heart.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Bonk posted:

The 4th season premiere in particular is completely gut-wrenching. Everyone harps on the finale, which IS excellent, but the final scene of 401 and something else that happens a few episodes before the finale make for some of the most unfathomably dark TV I've ever seen.

I forgot about that part of it. That is also a really excellent episode, well the majority of them are really excellent. Best beginning death scene is the crazy Christian lady who sees the blow up dolls go into the air thinking it is the rapture.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

We binged through both Dexter and BSG in about 2 weeks. My girlfriend loved BSG.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny B. Goode posted:

You should watch Season 3 episode 4 about five times in a row. It's the peak of the series and should be cherished as long as possible.

After watching it originally when everything came out. I watched it through again a few weeks ago. I will have to say that the last season was actually a lot better than I remember it being. Everything really did fit in with what was put in the previous seasons. It must have been the hiatus that through it off with the original viewing.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Oh I didn't mean it like "the rest of the show sucked." I actually liked season 4 a lot.

But goddamn ep 3x04 was loving amazing on so many levels

Hell yes, best part was when Galactica jumped into the loving atmosphere!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

qbert posted:

That's a shame because the new series is only two episodes in, and already Moffat has exceeded RTD's entire run.

God yes. My fiancee and myself watched the last part of RTDs run, I had been watching since the beginning, she did not find it interesting. We started watching the new series and she commented on how completely different it was.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny B. Goode posted:

So is The Tudors a really good show? My parents loving love it and they always try and get me to watch it when I'm at home on break.

I just can't see myself getting interested in that crap though.

If the series is based on real life then, Tudor England was nothing but boobs and sex. I really like the show and it got really interesting the last season.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

jfballin posted:

Two discs left of Six Feet Under.

Really can't thank you all enough for the recommendation. How's Riches?

Just wait for the best ending I have ever seen in a TV show.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Ratatozsk posted:

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the ending of Six Feet Under.

Yep, and if you don't cry at the end you are a heartless monster.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Pardot posted:

I'm trying Babylon 5 with some other people. So far we've made it through the first movie and the first dvd 4 episodes. I've heard so many people say it was great that I want to give it a shot. So what episode should I make it to before making the decision to give up or not?

The first season is not the greatest, it doesn't really hit its stride until the end of the first/second season.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

raven77 posted:

I've also been watching Dead Like Me, as slowly as possible, as I know there are only two seasons. But drat it's good, it's hard not to binge it. Having already watched Pushing Daisies and Six Feet Under, I've been looking for other similar-themed shows and came across The Dead Zone series that I think was on the Sci Fi channel or something years ago. Never ever watched it though, can any of you guys either recommend it or warn me away if it really sucks?

We started watching The Dead Zone for about 3 seasons of it. It wasn't bad, typical type of stuff for USA. It did have an interesting over arcing theme in the last couple of seasons but they didn't focus on that and we lost interest. Since it seemed most of the episodes were all basically the same.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Flatscan posted:

You're best off skipping Tennant completely, if you try to marathon those seasons you'll either slit your wrists or end up with irreversible brain damage.

There are some awesome Tennant episodes. Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library, and the sequel to that. Just for the love of God avoid Love and Monsters.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Kekekela posted:

Its showing as DVD only, releasing on Sept 21 for me.

It was on Watch Instantly for a while but they removed. I had it on my queue but never got to it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

CubanRefugee posted:

My wife and I have been watching all of Battlestar Galactica, the newer series, not the original. I was totally shocked that she'd even like it, as she's normally not into any sci-fi what so ever.

I know most people say that it should have stopped after season 2 and that 3 and 4 were poo poo, but we're halfway through 4 now and it's still as great as when it started.

I got my fiancee into BSG when we first got together. It was the second watch through for me, the first time I felt that the 4th season was kinda weak. After watching it all together with the rest of the seasons, it is really good. I even enjoyed the ending, that everyone complains about.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Thanks to Netflix, my girlfriend and myself have been binging through Stargate SG-1. I enjoy it, some of the episodes are pretty bad but I do love the campiness to it sometimes.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Just finished Spartacus, so much boobs and blood it's sensory overload. I've seen it mentioned that it takes a bit to get started, I think I started liking it around the 4 episode or so. While I enjoyed it, I think it was one of those shows that may have benefited from a 6 episode season. Some of the story arcs I got bored with.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Someone in the Fringe thread recommended watching Day Break. Just started it two days ago and almost done. Why the hell was this cancelled? It is freakin' awesome, have about 3 more episodes left.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

matrocious posted:

I'm jumping on the Day Break bandwagon. It's on netflix instant and is really satisfying. I thought that the characters were really fantastic and very well acted. The humor was spot-on and it was well written. I'm at a loss as to how this would have gone on more than one or two seasons given the premise without it being dragged-out to the point of being unwatchable. It almost feels like it was designed to be a single season story and in doing so comes off as a solid experience with a decent pace.

I was thinking the same thing near the end of it. It would have been interesting to see it from the possible other guy's point of view. Plus, I don't see how it failed with Moon Bloodgood scantily clad the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Sloth posted:

Soo, I'm about 5 episodes in on Six Feet Under and I pretty much despise the three female leads. Well, Brenda is tolerable but I absolutely cannot STAND the actresses/characters of Ruth and Claire. I see some fast-forwarding in my life very soon...

P.S. David just had a Dexter-like moment with the Kroehner guy and it was creepy as poo poo

Brenda and Claire definitely grew on me. Ruth takes a long time to grow on you. Six Feet Under is one of my favorite shows of all time. I will have to restart watching that soon.

«2 »