Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Astrofig posted:

I started watching Rectify but I didn't like it much. The brother is just so WEIRD and it really feels to me like he did rape someone----I don't like that feeling at all.

Dude is messed up from being in solitary for decades what do you expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

White Christmas was just really silly for me, because surely there has to be an easier way to get your toast the way you want it without resorting to brain surgery and torturing a digital clone. Likewise, if you can cut open a suspect's head without his permission to put one of those in to get a confession, at that point you might as well just beat him with a lead pipe until he says what you want. Less invasive and you don't even need a neurosurgeon.

We don't need to waterboard people either but we do it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Up to episode 3 of Another Life. Who let these children crew a space ship?

Yeah for a mission to save humanity they seemed to pick the most unqualified assholes in the universe, I'm also quite confused about all their "this is the first time a human has breathed air on another planet" poo poo, I mean they have that FTL technology

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Trig Discipline posted:

I was really optimistic about American Gods, and I thought the first season was decent. In the second season Byan Fuller went full-on Bryan Fuller though, and the story completely stalled as every episode became another excuse to set up an edgy monologue in front of an arty backdrop. Fuller's great at visual imagery, but he really needs someone to aggressively keep him on task or he just crawls up his own rear end.

Fuller got fired before season 2 even started production.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

sticklefifer posted:

Finally started watching Star Trek: Discovery after multiple recommendations. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, but the one big issue I have is with the pilot episode and how all the ramifications on the main character keep coming back to it: (1st episode spoilers only)The scrambled Klingon ship was in Federation space, the Klingon warrior attacked first, and the Klingons fired first, so why does everyone in the Federation keep acting like Michael is solely responsible for it? I felt like the mutiny was enough for her to be shunned by people, but she even says herself that she's the reason the war started. Nobody in the entire Federation investigated the details of this? Other than that I really like it, it's just annoying whenever they bring up that plot point, because it's not what happened.

It doesn't make sense and they just plow forward like it does, there is never a better explanation.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Zzulu posted:

My GF didn't recognize any of the "important star wars characters" except for Skywalker. They did honestly feel very shoehorned in as fanservice

Who the hell is Ashoka supposed to be anyway?

Padme got plastic surgery and learned to be a Jedi after the prequel movies, she watches over Luke/Leia but does a poo poo job of it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I take back a little of my criticism of MacFarlane's acting, I just watched s3e4 and he gave a pretty good performance. But I also really like Billy Joel so that probably has something to do with it too, haha.

My favorite part of the Orville is that you'd expect Macfarlane to make his character some sort of dashing badass being the captain, but really he comes off as a everyman and kind of a creep a bunch, which is intentional.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I hate these Star Wars characters in my Star Wars tv show IT JUST DOESN"T MAKE ANY SENSE! The entire premise of the show is a dude in Boba Fett's armor walking around visiting Star Wars planets with a baby version of another popular character the entire loving thing has been fanservice from the start.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

DorianGravy posted:

Regarding Game of Thrones, are there any TV shows with a strong ongoing plot that people were still super into after it ended? It seems like none of the big ones (Game of Thrones, Lost, Battlestar Galactica) can stick the landing, and I'm wondering if it's simply difficult to make a long ongoing plot satisfying after people have had years to speculate about it. Or maybe people lose interest simply because it's over?

I guess people liked the ending of stuff like Breaking Bad and Mad Men, but how about sci-fi/fantasy? X-Files had a long decline into being bad. Did people like the ending of, for example, Deep Space Nine (I haven't gotten there yet, though, so no spoilers)? What about the Stargate shows? I'm mostly just curious.

Farscape is as close as it gets for me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

B33rChiller posted:

At 3 eps in to Wandavision, it wasn't really apparent what the show had to say, either.
I did find the "everyone look shocked/terrified and run on queue" scenes to be less believably performed, or presented, than anything else I've seen in the mcu.

But I'll watch any of that marvel superheros stuff. I'm very happy they're being done competently now, and not more of the fantastic 4 film tier garbage.

These episodes are twice as long so we are more around episode 6 of Wandavisions run.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

nate fisher posted:

I love to binge, but certain shows like Succession I think work better as a weekly watch.

Yeah shows with an active thread like that work much better weekly.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I think there's some deeply unsatisfying stuff in the series finale -- some of that's been covered dumping all tech because reasons, but I also thought the show dropped the ball on a handful of minor plotlines like Chief and Tory, or Baltar's cultists.

But the religion aspect, I dunno. The show very explicitly lays out what it's doing with its theology in the middle of season two. The vision of Six explicitly says that she's an angel of god at the end of the Cain arc. It's not like that ending came from nowhere.

Characters say they are angels of god all the time in shows/media, rarely is it actually 100% true

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

MokBa posted:

I think the ONLY legacy sequel I’ve ever seen — be it television or film — that didn’t just feel like glorified fanfic was the new season of Party Down. And I think that mostly worked because the original show had such a specific (and inexpensive) tone that they were able to replicate. It just never really feels right, no matter how much effort and money go into it.

Beavis and Butthead!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

shirunei posted:

The synopsis sounded cool, and then I saw it was an anime.

From such great heights....

It's made in America entirely by Americans or has the definition of anime eroded to being meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

mcbexx posted:

Tore through Banshee over the course of a week.

I had started it years back but bounced off of it for some reason, came back now for some more Anthony Starr before The Boys return in June.

It's gotta be the pulpiest, shlockiest thing to ever grace the tv and I loved every minute of it, even if season 4 was a bit all over the place with too much happening for 8 episodes in total.

But then again, the show never wasted any time lingering on new big bads and just disposed of them quickly and unceremoniously, almost comically even.

Somehow they still managed to tie a nice bow around it and send it off properly.

Basically an R-rated saturday morning cartoon show with squibs, tits and asses. And nazis. And a giant psycho native-american warrior. And an amish crime lord. Plus, a satanist cult. And what I assume are countless cases of undiagnosed CTE. And a lot of supposedly elite operatives that can not hit the side of a barn if their lives depended on it.

As I said, I loved every minute of it.

If you love pulp and shlock with excessive tits and violence you need to watch the old Starz Spartacus show.