Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Slackarius posted:

Think I'm going to give Deadwood a try, heard a lot of good things about it, westerns aren't normally my thing. But hey, what's the worst that could happen?

The worst that could happen is you enjoy it all the way through to the end of season 3 only to be gazing at the long, unyielding middle finger of HBO.

And to everyone watching The Wire, be so glad that it didn't get canceled and got to have an ending, because everyone needs to watch that show.

Going through Angel right now and Battlestar Season 3 should be arriving sometime.

Oh, and the Men in Black animated series--the animation is horrible, but the stories are neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Been going through Monty Python's Flying Circus, because it's still amusing almost 40 years later. Going through Cromartie High School because that poo poo is hilarious, since it pretty much makes fun of all anime. Thinking about picking up The Shield, but after The Wire, there's just a big hole in me that no cop show will ever fill.

Robert Kubica posted:

Or maybe Millennium, I remember it vaguely, and the X-files ep with Frank Black in it reminded me. Thats if its even out on DVD.

I was cold on Millennium at the start, but my gf really insisted on it from her recollections of it, and it's really, really dark and overall pretty good. In the middle of Season 3 right now, and I didn't like the new character too much, but she's started to grow on me as well. I like how it actually tried to play off the old millennial fears and was short enough to end before 2000 rolled around.

Oh poo poo, and I guess we've been going through Buffy and Angel as well, whenever we buy the seasons. Angel is always amusing, and Buffy is really only good when it focuses on everyone and not just Buffy and her whining about relationships.

[img][/img]

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

^^^
Pandemic! Getcha Pandemic!

[img][/img]

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Watched all of Dexter S1 this past 4 or 5 days, terribly amusing. Season 2 is on its way.

And watching Angel now with the knowledge that Ben Edlund was involved (without knowing that during the original run! jesus!) is making it that much better.

I find Angel is just overall better, and mostly because it mostly does not star Buffy. As a Buffy fan, Buffy is the worst part of either show, all the side characters are much better than whenever they decide to focus on her e/n drama. At least once they started exploring the Slayer mythos she became interesting.

Angel starts as a detective show that turns into its own supernatural character comedy/drama, and while it's not Firefly, it's cool.

And FWIW, I started watching B5 with Season 2 and only a basic synopsis, and it was great throughout.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

thizzmalion posted:

Freaks and Geeks, and I really don't see why everybody gets all hot and bothered over it. Most of the time it's bullshit dramatic crap or way too cheesy.

Also, seriously, gently caress deadheads. gently caress them.

:regd09: :dogout:

Show's one of the more believable period dramas that I know of, and it actually uses age-appropriate actors, so...

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Boosh! posted:

I've been trying to finish Deadwood but after Season 1 it cannot hold my interest. Oh well, only a few more episodes to go.

It's true, Season 1 is probably some of the best character drama ever made, but afterward it kind of drops off and it's hard to stay with, unless you're a fan.

Also, I have decided to go through as many Simpsons as possible, watching a few each day until I want to stab my monitor.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

People that have not watched the Wire or possibly even Deadwood and are reading about other posters binging through them, take note. These are exceptionally good series, especially compared to poo poo like Chuck or Gossip Girls.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Since I'm going through Buffy S6 right now and someone else mentioned it, goddamn is Buffy the worst character after like halfway through season 2. They keep trying to make her interesting and grow her character, but in the end, she's always still some shrill harpy crying about some boy or about her destiny as the slayer.

Everyone else on the show is awesome, though.

PS - I was recommending that people that haven't watched vastly superior shows and are actively looking for shows to watch should try those sometime, instead of opting for the same old same old. I love the cheesy bullshit in LOST, but I would not pick it over The Wire any day of the week.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

^^^^
Oh man. Oh man, if you both have gotten past the dated production values, then season 2 starts to really ramp up the arcs. Seasons 2-4 are gold.

And to the goon that just can't get started on The Wire, you better have some good reasons as to why.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

HeebHustler posted:

Binged through about 3 seasons of It's Almost Sunny in Philadelphia.

I do not understand this show on a fundamental level. It's annoying douches wailing and flailing at each other for half an hour, hoping their madcap poo poo will be entertaining somehow. And it's not like I don't like frenetic comedy; I watch 30 Rock and Family Guy and love AD.

Also, I still can't see why so many people love the new BSG. It's so godamn hollow and directionless. And I say that as I near the end of S3. So many other shows have just done it better. Next Generation, DS9, B5, Firefly, etc, etc.

For content: Starting S5 of Angel. It's the best kind of campy/mystery.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Leviathan posted:

Shut up, bozo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pzABURlha8 (turn off annotations)

Ok, that got better as it went on. Still kinda shrill, tho.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Finishing up S6 of Homicide: Life on the Streets and heading into S7. I have to say it might be my favorite primetime show ever.

It's the precursor to The Wire and it shows. I daresay that it even does a better job of depicting police and detectives even better than The Wire, though it's mostly just the handful of characters and mostly focused on Homicide. The Wire has a better, tighter arc and scope, but as for daily life of a murder cop, Homicide is it.

Also doing S1 of Damages which is a little too TV-y, but pretty drat fun.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

^^^^
How many episodes in the UK Life on Mars? I might just do that. And Spartacus when the season's done.

Johnny B. Goode posted:

That first season has a lot of wonderful tits though

And Stephen Root getting staked and exsanguinated!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Well don't get your hopes up for this season, because it's the same, even moreso in places. They're just running out the clock and tossing out an answer or pawn positioning an episode.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Chamberk posted:

You didn't like what everyone else liked. Thus, you are a retard.

No, the fact that he found it boring due to the pace and discounting what makes it a good show makes him a retard.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

itt goons complain about not being able to relate to The Wire and yet go on to praise Rome or Dexter.

Also in same thread, praising Rome's historical accuracy.

Hint: When something is based on 30+ years combined experience of stories from the real world as it was and is, and is written by top novelists and tv writers, then yes, something a bit more careful and constructed is going on than your pretty little spaceships and robots show, and maybe if you aren't drawn in by it, you can judge it on the importance of the work and message instead.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Anything that wasn't Doakes, Dexter, Deb, or Lundee in Season 2 was atrocious. For all the dumb things in Season 3, Miguel was still an interesting story.

Lost owns, but gets very uneven later on. The first season is the strongest by far, and then you can see where studio meddling changed quite a bit of it.

I've started The West Wing even though I'm from :canada:, and it's very... 90s. Everyone's likable tho.

Meanwhile, going through Frisky Dingo, the latter third of Sealab, steadily ending S1 of Mad Men, and finishing up Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
The gf has been on Daria, since that came out recently, and for a teen show it was p good.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

qbert posted:

Breaking Bad
The ending was kind of lame, because it was a form of causality that resulted in too many things directly involving Walt. That, and the whole 'consequences of his actions' thing was already hammered home by the bedroom death. I don't go in the show thread, though, that's just imo.
And season 3 has another loving amazing shootout, among other things.

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm binging through Lost right now. I'm halfway through season 5.

1. I want to know what happened to Rose and Bernard. Also, Vincent.

**You definitely will. Not till almost the very end though.

3. My blown-up theory was that Desmond's son will grow up to be the actual hobbit-Charlie, time travel, and so Desmond will find out that he watched his own son die. This relied on Charlie being a foster kid, but then I remembered: no, those Charlie flashbacks involved real parents, not foster parents.

**They are two separate people.

4. Kate is boring now. Love triangles/squares are boring.

**Yup. She only does one really important thing later on. Well, two, actually. Her arc was so meandering.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Flatscan posted:

Season 7 is ok if you hit fast-forward whenever Kennedy is on screen.

Here, I fixed that for you.

Content:
Been binging The Shield.
I watched the first two episodes, said 'gently caress that poo poo', and stopped.
Then I picked up the DVDs (thanks, local library!), and watched.
Halway through S4 and it's... okay. Every episode is literally 'Vic is intense about something, Shane is a sleazebag, Dutch is a whipping boy, etc, etc'. And the story arcs kind of blow. Each episode is good as a self-contained story, but there is no overriding tension or investment in anyone in the entire drat show. Everything is glaring and in yo face and just screaming its edginess.

Homicide was a much better show, about much better people, in an equally hosed up city.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Recently finished a long, slow burn through Homicide, just need to watch the movie to tie things up. Even though the series finale was a good end.
Besides The Wire, probably the best police procedural show ever.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

I'd hesitate before calling The Wire a police show to begin with, given everything else going on, but a procedural?

Just trying to nip fellow Wire fans in the bud.

Oh, and this:

quote:

That aside, Homicide is a pretty darn good show, even if I'd take Dutch and Wyms over any pair of Baltimore schlubs.

Is goddamn fighting words.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

poronty posted:

I don't know, maybe this speed-binging is responsible and I should just space it out a bit.

There is literally no way you could pick up on some of the background jokes, text jokes, TV meta-reference jokes, pronunciation jokes, or if you did, the foreshadowing jokes that were written in. Like, you would have to know every piece of trivia they refer to. It's precious that you think you have, though.

I do agree that it's not the pinnacle in comedy, subjective as that sort of thing is.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 17, 2010

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Not being American, I started up The West Wing thanks to this thread, and it's surprisingly charming. I can see how they made everyone 'tv-likable', and that end music is so cheesy, but it's engrossing. Leo owns.

Also, putting off The Shield S7, but I'll get through it... sometime.

E: It's also a huge trip to see Elizabeth Moss looking way, way younger than in Mad Men.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Fermata Forever posted:

As far as I'm concerned, BSG peaked with the revelation of the Final Four (minus the fifth), and the first, AMAZING time we heard All Along The Watchtower.

God, that cover was so bad, and the reason they heard that out of any song was just lame and unnecessary. But then again BSG as a whole is like that, so.

Anyhoo, speaking of bad music choices, just finished watching "Two Cathedrals", which even as a non-American, was pretty loving well put together, except for the dumb electric 80s guitar solo going over everything. Still, it was good to see how Bartlett became Bartlett.

e: welp, apparently it's a Dire Straights song, so haha.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 8, 2010

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

People that think about watching Corner Gas voluntarily: Don't. It's full of the blandest possible stereotypes/jokes about that part of the country.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I watched two eps of Life on Mars UK and the best thing about it was the music.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Kashew posted:

I'm working through every episode of The Simpsons...in order.

You and me both, buddy! Although thanks to the volume of tv out there, I've managed the first 5 seasons in almost a year. At least it's providing a crazy nostalgia trip. I imagine I'll stop around Season 10, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

^^^^
Season 2 is much stronger, but still has those moments, so uh, maybe it's just not your kinda show.

Agree with the above poster in that OZ owns, and even though I know one of the major, major spoilers, it still hasn't happened and I'm enjoying it. It's amazing how many issues its brought up that are still not being worked on to this day.

Also just finished BSG after taking it very, very slow...
And the ending wasn't that bad, all things considered. Especially considering the entire series wasn't worth the hype.
Oh, and the final 2-minute coda. That was bullshit and unnecessary.