Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So I've owned the Twin Peaks Gold Set forever but had never gotten around to watching it until this past weekend.

I just finished the episode where Laura Palmer's killer is finally revealed, directed by David Lynch himself, and holy poo poo that was one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen from a television series. I was totally not expecting the killer to be revealed in a random episode in Season 2, either. What happened next...I'm surprised they got away with airing that. Especially on CBS.

I cannot wait to get home from work and binge through the rest of the series.

Sidenote: Twin Peaks had so many hot girls on it. Too bad I got into this series 20 years too late. I have a crush on Sherilyn Fenn circa 1990. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Chexxum posted:

C) prefer network TV cop shows with over the top action and explosions every 10 minutes (ie, The Shield).

Wow, of all the cop shows on tv that actually do fit this description, you pick The Shield?

Someone's trying a little hard to seem cool.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

fox posted:

I've just finished season 1 of BSG. I am loving this show, and wishing i had started watching it earlier. Does it keep it's pace for the entire series?

It goes downhill after the first 4 episodes of Season 3.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Zero Karizma posted:

I loved The Wire, but its a really slow-moving show. It's not for everybody. I have friends that I recommend it to and others that I just know wouldn't like it.

Agreed. A lot of my friends just plain aren't willing to give a chance to anything slow-paced. I don't fault them for it. I think most people treat tv or film as purely an entertainment medium and don't look to it for art.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The Rooster posted:

I work in education, so Season 4 was particularly brutal to watch, it is my favorite season though.

From your own personal experiences, how accurate do you think Season 4 is in its portrayal of the public education system?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I stopped watching The Wire in the middle of the season that focused on the news paper. Everything up to that point was awesome. News paper drama was boring as poo poo.

So basically you stopped like 4 episodes from finishing the entire series?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's kind of funny that most of the posts in this thread are some variation of

"Started watching X show because of all the hype. Meh. Kinda underwhelmed."

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Mr. Sloth posted:

Aww poo poo :lost: Season 2

I was really beginning to come around to Anna Lucia and her tighter-than-tight jeans, gently caress you Michael :mad:

I believe that single moment generated the most consecutive "Holy poo poo!" type posts out of any thread in TVIV before or since.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Zero Karizma posted:

When Tennant goes, so do I. I don't know who this new fool thinks he is, but he's not MY Doctor.

:colbert:

That's a shame because the new series is only two episodes in, and already Moffat has exceeded RTD's entire run.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

S4 of Lost maintains the highest consistency of quality episodes since Season 1, so enjoy!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I think the coolest thing about Sarah Connor Chronicles was how it became inadvertently badass through its cancellation. Having Derek die by a random headshot was pretty bold, but Josh Friedman admitted in the commentary that they were planning to retcon that in Season 3, and that Brian Austen Green would have remained a series regular. Because the show got canceled, they never got to do that, and so I think the writers got away with looking "edgier" than they'd ever intended.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Mr. Sloth posted:

3.) Lost = the show where all conflicts happen because no one ever just tells the other person what exactly they're gonna loving do.

If you can somehow catch up before the finale, you'll realize you have no idea just how right you are.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Watched the first 3 seasons of Dexter over the past couple months, and starting on season 4 soon. I didn't enjoy season 3 NEARLY as much as the first two, is that the general consensus? And how's season 4?

Also binging through Futurama, Seinfeld again, and the Ninja Turtles 2k3 cartoon - which is honestly AWESOME. If anyone was a fan of TMNT in any way as a kid, this series is like a perfect more grown up and darker version. Most episodes are part of a big story and lead into eachother, with a few stand-alone throw-out eps throughout each season. I honestly think this is the best show that nobody really knows is good.

The next shows on my list are ones I've never seen a single episode of yet.

-The Wire: Better be as good as everyone is saying
-Lost: How is the first and second season? I think I've read season 3 and 4 are really good? I don't want to sit through two entire seasons to get to good stuff though,so what's the verdict?
-Sopranos: Is this like a TV series version of, say, Goodfellas? I won't expect that quality throughout the entire season or anything, but is that the most comparable show/movie for it?

Season 3 of Dexter is by far the weakest for me, Season 4 improves considerably. John Lithgow plays a fantastic villain and the show just gets plain better.

- The Wire deserves its praise, but will probably take you about half a season to get into. It's more complex than anything you're probably used to on television.
- The consensus is that the first season of Lost is one of its best. Season 2 is solid also. The weakest part of the series is the first 1/3 to 1/2 of Season 3. If Season 1 was bad, why would anyone get sucked into the show?
- I guess Goodfellas is kind of an apt comparison, but The Sopranos doesn't try to make mob life seem nearly as sexy.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Bob the terrible posted:

I just finished Supernatural, is Angel worth watching? I really liked Firefly and heard Angel was made by the same guy.

Yep, everyone loves Angel. It's a great show. Occasionally they'll reference some Buffy stuff that you might not get if you haven't watched that, but overall you can watch it on its own.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I just plowed through Seasons 1 & 2 of Breaking Bad over the weekend, and I'm kicking myself for not having checked out the show sooner. It's brilliant. Can't wait to start on Season 3.

Was reading through the Season 2 thread and I was a little surprised everyone seemed to hate the ending of the season. I thought it was fantastic. Hoping S3 keeps up the quality level.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Aluminum Record posted:

Just binged seasons 1-3 of Weeds. I'm seeing a lot of people say its goes straight downhill now, should I keep watching? Honestly, the thing I love the most about the show is Doug, and maybe Andy. They are bloody hilarious. I could care less about Nancy and her drama.

I forgot where season 3 ended but once they leave that hometown the show really does kind of go to poo poo. Nancy becomes pretty much the most hate-able character on television.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just finished the entire first season of Treme in about 2 days. I don't know why I was so hesitant to get into this series. I'm one of those that believes The Wire is the best television drama ever created, but something about the premise of Treme didn't immediately hook me in.

I should have just put my faith in David Simon. I was totally engrossed in the city of New Orleans and I pretty much loved how everything turned out at the end of the season. Can't wait for this show to come back.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Yeah, I think I probably shouldn't have asked about Lost. I'll just forget everyone's responses and watch the show and make my own opinions about it. Thanks for the quick replies, though, guys.

BSG, on the other hand... I still haven't seen the last ten episodes, because I didn't catch them when they were on and then I read about how much everyone hates the ending, so I'm afraid to go on.

A bunch of those last ten episodes were pretty good. You might be better off just never watching the finale though. What happens to Starbuck literally insulted my intelligence.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

tuckfard posted:

Just finished season one of How I met your Mother. Loved it, wish I had gotten on this earlier.

It stays pretty consistently good throughout, although at this point people are pretty split on whether or not they should just introduce the mother already, title non-withstanding.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Aluminum Record posted:

I'm powering through Burn Notice. This show is great.

It's great...at first. But then 4 seasons in and you realize it's still the EXACT SAME SHOW each and every week. It will eventually start to wear on you.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

calandryll posted:

There are some awesome Tennant episodes. Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library, and the sequel to that. Just for the love of God avoid Love and Monsters.

So pretty much just the stuff Moffat did you're saying.

I agree.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I just finished the first season of Torchwood and thought it was pretty much crap. I heard it's supposed to get much better, though.

Can someone tell me when it's supposed to get much better?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Well I just finished watching all of Torchwood. The first two seasons were such utter terrible crap, I honestly had no idea why people recommended it. And then the 3rd season happened.

Holy poo poo. It's like I just watched an entirely different show using the same characters, only run by competent people. I can honestly say I don't think another show has jumped THAT MUCH in quality between seasons.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Hmm, I tried Torchwood a while back and got like, 3 or 4 episodes in and couldn't stand how in-your-face it was about being an "adult" show. It was like the show had a perpetual smug grin about being the "adult" Doctor Who, and the plot was just boring as poo poo.

Might try it again, though.

The first two seasons are god-awful, not worth your time, seriously some of the worst sci-fi melodrama out there. Sure, there's a handful of decent moments here and there, but I'm telling you the first two seasons of Torchwood make Doctor Who look like loving Shakespeare.

The 3rd season is incredible and is probably the best thing RTD's written. It's a 5-ep miniseries, just one continuous story. Do yourself a favor and just skip straight to Season 3 because you don't need to know anything that happened in Seasons 1 or 2 to understand it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I enjoy Glee quite a bit, especially the first season, so maybe that kind of tone was more what I was expecting. I feel no connection or interest in any of the characters of VM, other than Kristen Bell, because they are all just exaggerated cardboard cutout high school archetypes? The show got a few chuckles out of me but isn't really smart enough to be laugh out loud funny to a grown up, but also is nowhere nearly edgy or engaging or subversive enough to be taken seriously. And the plot is disjointed and badly paced - characters and entire plot arcs that were the center of one episode completely disappear and are not mentioned at all in the next episode, to the point where I can hardly tell if I've skipped or missed an episode, or mistakenly skipped to another season. Maybe I was going into it expecting something a bit more clever in terms of plot or writing, or the show has just aged badly and has a lot of filler episodes.

The show is meant to be more like Buffy, meaning it's not supposed to be heavily serialized. There's an over-arching plot for each season, but each episode is meant to be a "case of the week" style format. It's not trying to be The Wire where it's just one story that continues on week to week, but that doesn't make it bad. Also the characters are supposed to be archetypes because VM is a noir set in a high school setting, and everyone is an archetype in noir fiction.

Also it started off as a UPN show aimed at the teen crowd, and it has the main character get raped in the pilot, plus a bunch of murder and incest plots later on. I don't know how much more subversive you were expecting it to be...

qbert fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 5, 2011

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I've never seen more that a few snippets of Buffy, but suspected as much. So basically it's a children's show. I got an inkling that it was being oversold in TVIV threads much like people oversell some anime as being more grown up than they really are.

Well if you're going to criticize Veronica Mars for being too juvenile while giving Glee a pass, then...okay. Perhaps True Blood would be more in your "adult" wheelhouse?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Veronica Mars came out way before Juno so if anything, Juno is literally Veronica Mars.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just finished watching the first season (series) of the BBC series The Hour.

So. loving. Good.

It's like Mad Men meets Rubicon meets Broadcast News, which works surprisingly well together. The writing, acting, and directing were all fantastic. The last two episodes in particular floored me.

Was really excited to read that there's a 2nd season coming next year, although I wonder how the show will operate outside of the backdrop of the Suez Canal Crisis.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Currently rewatching The West Wing, which I haven't seen since it first aired, and loving the heck out of these early seasons.

Which is why it was such a cool and pleasant surprise to find out most of the cast reunited for a political ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52FLMOPSig

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I finally got around to marathoning Terriers on Netflix before my free trial subscription ended. What a fantastic series. The best sort-of modern noir I've seen in recent memory, on film or tv. It's such a shame the show never found an audience.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Khorne Flakes posted:

Also, Terriers was one of those shows you wish you could forget and watch again. I just want to know which way they turn at the end!

In my mind, of course he went to jail, for all the reasons he told Katie he would in the scene prior. He's not gonna give up the opportunity to be a dad and possibly reconcile with the love of his life a year down the line. Also Hank had his sister to think about. My interpretation was that it was just some fantasizing banter between the two of them.

In my mind, if Season 2 had ever happened, they would've just skipped ahead to a year later.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm 2 episodes in on the new HBO show Enlightened. This is a whole lot of boring poo poo about unpleasant people and I'm really not feeling it, and yet the reviews and ratings are talking about it like it's The Wire? What's happening.

Apparently Season 1 sucks and Season 2 somehow became brilliant.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

I'm behind on several sitcoms. Some are ending/ended, some got terrible, some are still good but I just haven't had time. I'll still watch each of them because I want to know what happens to the characters, so which one should I catch up with first?

The Office: Saw the first episode of this season, nothing beyond it.
Modern Family: Same.
How I Met Your Mother: Haven't seen any of this season.
30 Rock: Didn't see season 6 or 7.
Apartment 23: Liked the first season, haven't seen the second.
Always Sunny: I'm something like 3 seasons behind, but I'm probably less likely to binge something with a ton of episodes right now and save it for summer instead.

I watch all of these.
Office - Eh. Nothing particularly great about this last season.
Modern Family - Still consistently good. It doesn't try to be particularly different or break its formula, but it does what it does well.
30 Rock - The final season was pretty good. Consensus is that the show ended well.
Apartment 23 - Some people love this show. I think it's just okay. If you liked the 1st season, I'd say the 2nd got better.
Always Sunny - If you liked the show up until now, it's more of the same. Which means some great episodes, some that don't work as well, but pretty much a consistent tone throughout.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GateheaD posted:

What can you tell me about Banshee, I watched the first episode and it wasn't too bad.
I'm running out of TV shows, I need content to play before bed.

It got a lot better as the series went along. Its biggest plus is some really solid action, in particular some of the most brutal hand-to-hand fighting you'll see on television.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

leidend posted:

Finally caught up on The Americans. Much better than I was expecting to be, but way too many non-80s things slipping through. Like Keri's character saying "It is what it is." No one said that in 1981.

That phrase has been around since the late 1940s. Maybe it wasn't heavily used in 1981, but that example in particular isn't anachronistic.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

pahuyuth posted:

I've just started watching Nikita and I'm in the mood for more badass female spies. Is Alias worth the time? Is there a point where I should ditch it? I never really watched it during its original run except for random episodes here and there.

The first two seasons are amazing. Ignore any other opinions.

The third season is still solid, but not as good. Still worth watching.

Don't watch seasons 4 or 5. Not worth it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

LordZoric posted:

I'm progressing through the UK Being Human at a rapid rate. Loving it. The cast is awesome and the leads are all pretty likable while still begin damaged or broken in their various ways. I'm liking where the story is going.

I probably already know this answer but how's the US version? Is it the usual Syfy quality or is it an anomaly like Warehouse 13 or Alphas?

Personally I think it's superior to the UK version. It's the only thing on SyFy worth watching right now.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Shadow posted:

You were right about Expanse taking a few episodes. I saw the first one and I liked it, but I'm not hooked yet. I'll continue it though. Premise does seem interesting. Just a lot of "intro" to get used to since they're dropping you into the middle of the universe without a map.

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of the books, but the show adaptation feels slow and shoddy in comparison. The show doesn't explain the world particularly well, and the entire first season is like half of the first book, which seemed like a big mistake to me pacing-wise. I really don't consider myself a book purist on most things (like I'm totally fine with how they've adapted Game of Thrones).

But people seem to love the show so who knows.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

The first episode of Spartacus is not representative of anything.

It's the worst episode of the entire series by a wide margin. The show gets so much better as the season goes along it's kind of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

savinhill posted:

I've been watching Marco Polo after seeing some people in here say that it's good and I agree, very enjoyable so far. I have no idea why it got so much negativity when it first came out, the way it was talked about online you would've thought it was Tyrant level bad, but it's actually been great so far.

The title character is terrible and the actor is bad and for some reason they insisted on casting an actual Italian, even though they then forced him to deliver all his dialogue in English when he didn't speak a word of it when he was cast.

The show is good because of all the characters around Marco Polo. I love that there's a big budget American produced show that's basically all Asian actors/characters that the producers got greenlit by pretending it was going to be about a white guy.