Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bonk posted:

FINALLY started my Babylon 5 binge after a few false starts because I didn't have the time. The jump in quality from the pilot movie to the first episode is amazing, both in CG and presentation.

If you can overlook the cheesy presentation and shaky acting, the writing is really good in the first TV episode. The next couple ones after that are somewhat cheesier standalones (the Soul Hunter was a good plot with goofy execution) and I kind of wish JMS put a few arc episodes at the beginning so the series would take off right away, but the standalones aren't bad. Anyway, this was way before serial drama was all the rage, so I can't complain about that too much. I hear the first season isn't that great anyway, but I'm already seeing there's a lot to like if you can get past the very dated feel and look of it.

I'll see if I can get through that by mid-July and then plow through X-Files for the rest. If I have time after that, I'll pick up where I left off on The Sopranos on my last binge attempt.

There's actually quite a lot that's introduced early which sets up later events... some of the standalones will actually be the first episode in an arc, and you won't realise it. Out of the first eight there's at least three that lay the seeds for later storylines. Even the ones that don't usually have some elements that impart important information about the universe or introduce elements that will pay off later.

Myself, I'm rewatching all of Lost at the moment (5 eps from the end of Season 2) and it's impressive how internally consistent the show manages to be for the most part. I've started watching Venture Bros too and it is awesome, and intend to start on Veronica Mars when I find time. Oh yeah, and I've started on Fring too (5 eps in) but that's really something you can just dip into now and again rather than marathon, which is what I've been doing.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

quaunaut posted:

Putting some more work into Lost. Halfway through season 2 now, still don't see what the hubub is about. The characters are about the only thing keeping me going though. Way too many cases of "This is easier than it should be.", so much so that it's driving me up a wall half the time.

Good show still, though. Just not ZOMG like it's been characterized.

I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this, but for me Lost is a show that's best enjoyed over a long time period rather than marathoning it. I enjoy the stewing over what's happened between episodes and discussing theories in the threads here - people can pick up on details that you miss and it's acttually more enjoyable being able to predict the HOLKY gently caress moments (of which Lost produces more than any other show) way before they actually happen than it is being surprised by them. I think that if I'd marathoned it up to this point I wouldn't have enjoyed it half so much.

Then again, a lot of people prefer to watch it all in one go and find they don't have the patience once they're caught up and are watching it week-to-week.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The quality of the episodes in Buffy (and Angel) swings wildly between brilliant and terrible. The bad epsiodes do tend to a come across a little better when you're watching them as part of the season-long arc though, rather than watching them out of context. Season 1 of Buffy is kind of bad, 2-4 are the best so if you do plan to start with it you can easily start there.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bozz posted:

Wow, that is super crazy. I saw this thread and clicked on it just to say how I've been STRUGGLING to get through the final season of BSG. I just don't care about the characters or the story, I just can't get into it anymore. I've also tried twice. I'm asking myself as I watch it, "was it always this hokey and over the top?" I must have watched it and enjoyed it to get to the final season, but I think of how many more episodes I have to go through and I just avoid watching anymore because it feels so much like work.

The show definitely starts to run out of steam in season 4. It's almost collapsing under the weight of providing closure on things that they had no idea how to close out when they wrote them. You might be best stopping halfway through that last season and pretending the show finished with a mega downer ending.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

Been binging through Red Dwarf on Netflix on demand. I watched a bit of it on PBS back in the day, but for a low budget sci-fi comedy series it has some seriously cool ideas. I just watched S2 Ep 3, "Thanks for the Memories," where drunken Lister and drunken Rimmer sort of bond, and Lister decides to give Rimmer a Deathday gift of a memory of a passionate love affair. "Should have just given him a tie."

I hear the later seasons are pretty bad, is there a particular jump the shark moment when I should walk away?

I personally thought it went downhill a little after the 4th series, but it gets WAY worse after series 6. Don't watch beyond that, it's just not worth it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Vizrt posted:

So, I'm trying to decide what to start on next. I noticed Netflix had all five seasons of Lost for online viewing. I haven't looked into the series much, but noticed the last season is coming up in February. What's the general consensus on the series? May try to binge on it to catch up before the sixth season starts.

The people who like tend to love it and the people who dislike it tend to hate it. I'd say watch the first four episodes and if you're not hooked by then it may not be for you, though marathoning it gives you the benefit of not having to wait a week between episodes so it probably won't try your patience as it has done for a lot of people. If you do watch all 5 seasons before the final one starts though, be prepared for the drop to only one episode a week.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Harmonica posted:

I am continuing burning through ER and West Wing. ER has been solidly well done right up to where I am now, the start of season three. West Wing I had never watched before this year, but I'm now upto the start of season five. Three and four were a cut above the others and cemented it as a great show, rather than a very good show. The cast is adorable, and Sorkin is an incredible TV craftsman. Not sure how it's going to fare from S5 onwards without him writing the eps.

Expect a huge drop-off in quality terms. Most people seem to think it started to get some of that back in like late season 6/early season 7 but I didn't stick around that long.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Count Choculitis posted:

Ahh, I loved the season 3 finale. I think it's my favorite one for sheer mindfuckery. I'm sure some people saw it coming but I certainly didn't, and it just made it super awesome.

I saw it coming about a minute before it happened. Glad I don't read the thread live though because several people 'guessed' it (or perhaps read the spoilers leaked a week before) like an hour before the end of the finale.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sarx posted:

I just started to binge through Wire In The Blood and am halfway through the third season. Though it comes in 90 minutes episodes so its hard to binge through.

Is this usual for BBC dramas?

Regardless, the main character is fantastic and the stories are interesting each and every episode, so I'm sure to finish it out, especially since the entire run is free to stream on netflix right now.

It's not a BBC drame, it's made by rival (commercial) channel ITV, so on air they're two hours with adverts. That's the general standard for UK crime drama, whether they're in a two-hour slot or two one-hour parts on successive nights. Stuff like Cracker, Prime Suspect, Messiah etc. are like this too.

If you haven't seen Cracker yet you absolutely should watch it, it's the best crime drama ever made and absolutely what Wire in the Blood aspires to be.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah. The CG does improve a bit after that point too. The crappy sets and shaky acting (outside of about 3 characters) never do though.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I couldn't get past the pilot, it's that bad and cheesy. I'll try to trudge through it again someday.

The pilot is absolutely terrible so just skip it, anything important in it is reiterated in the series anyway.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

chrix posted:

I know I'm a little behind, but I just finished Season 2 of Lost and while I'm glad they answered quite a few questions, I can't imagine where they'll take the series. From what I can tell without reading spoilers, the next 2 seasons drag out a bit. Please tell me I'm wrong and that it's worth catching the next seasons.

The first 6 or 7 episodes of season three are pretty stretched out but once it gets past the season's halfway point it rally starts picking up steam. Season 4 and 5 are both crazy fast in comparison to the ones before them.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Most people like Locke. He has a very interesting arc so far.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

IT's fun reading someone's reaction as they watch Lost... I hope that sometime soon, after the last season finishes, someone does a newbie thread like that Babylon 5 one last year where someone new to the show writes ongoing updates with his thoughts on each episode as he watches them.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

You've got a whole hell of a lot of ups and downs to come in season 5 too. You're gonig to crash hard though when you finish with that and have to adjust to waiting a week between episodes.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

microwave casserole posted:

Season 5 the worst in terms of "you'll see where we're going with this later" episodes. I wasn't wild about it until the finale came along and put all of the pieces into place, and now it's probably my favorite season.

Yeah, season five was kind of meh until the last 5 minutes of the finale pulled everything together and made it great in retrospect.

e: Oh yeah and Johnny B. Goode, if you actually manage to get caught up before this week's episode you should take time to read through last week's thread and get a good feel of just how crazy Lost threads are.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 22, 2010

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I think it's just a bit of an abrupt shift from the black gansters of season 1 to the dockworkers in season 2. It does fit a lot better in retrospect thogh since the show continues to expand it's horizons to cover just about every problem contributing to Baltimore's urban decay.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The one thing I remember best about The West Wing is that the bit where Josh is posting on the internet and finds his fans are weird and obsessive is based on Aaron Sorkin going on some forum (possibly TWOP?) and not getting the rapturous welcome he was expecting. Which is kind of a little pathetic, really.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Johnny B. Goode posted:

You'll see what I mean. I'm in no way criticizing it. Most people either love season 2 and think season 4 sucks or vice-versa.. I loved them both.

I don't know how anyone can think season 4 sucks. That's insane.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

In the entire history of the show, has there ever been a good Kate episode?

No.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Hey, good timing, I just finished up Life on Mars UK last week. I agree with this, plus the completely unfair following thoughts.

I do like Life on Mars but I've always thought it was very very overrated and skates by on a misplaced sense of nostalgia for 70s cop shows that much of it's audience is too young to have watched.

All your points are completely fair, and I feel the show is additionally hamstrung by character inconsistencies caused the writers not deciding what they want their show to be. I find it bizarre that you can have an episode where Gene Hunt is basically gonig to have a suspect excecuted outside of the law who turns out to be innocent, and then next week he's instantly back to a character the audience is supposed to root for. Ray is a proper nasty corrupt poo poo at the start of the show who has caused deaths by his being in the pocket of gangsters and yet by the end he's another of the lovable heroes. The show seems to have started as looking at old cop shows from a modern perspective and gradually transmuted into inoffensive nostalgic indulgence.

I was also a little disappointed from the off that there was no real overarching story besides the first 15 minutes, some of the first series finale and the final episode. Haven't seen the US version but from what I've heard the ending seems endearingly daffy so I might give it a try.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

SaviourX posted:

Well don't get your hopes up for this season, because it's the same, even moreso in places. They're just running out the clock and tossing out an answer or pawn positioning an episode.

I totally disagree with you on this. I found season 5 kind of aimless for the most part (though the ending made up for it) but season 6 is tangibly moving towards resolution with each episode.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

fox posted:

I've just finished season 1 of BSG. I am loving this show, and wishing i had started watching it earlier. Does it keep it's pace for the entire series?

No, since it goes to ~20 episode seasons afterwards and you end up with a much greater amount of filler in there. It's still well worth watching though since the filelr tends to be good and the quality of the show doesn't start to dip till a while from where you're up to.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Roshi posted:

I just finished Angel and the final moment was an :argh: as Angel, Illyra/fred, spike and an injured Gunn run off to fight a horde of demons just as "Executive Producer Joss Whedon" appears and I assume they all die. Still its more of a cliffhanger for a season finale, not a series finale.

I liked that ending. It's kind of like 'OK so maybe the show's going off the air but Angel's story is still ongoing'.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It feels darker and more mature than Buffy, and it took the three worst characters from Buffy (four if you count Faith) and made them all awesome.

gently caress you, Faith owns and is super hot

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I watched all the first season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia yesterday evening. That's only 7 episodes but still... it's pretty moreish. Very much enjoying the group's dynamic right now and I hope it doesn't get thrown off with the new cast member in season 2 (though since it's up to season 5 so far it seems unlikely).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pardot posted:

I'm trying Babylon 5 with some other people. So far we've made it through the first movie and the first dvd — 4 episodes. I've heard so many people say it was great that I want to give it a shot. So what episode should I make it to before making the decision to give up or not?

Episode 8 (And the Sky Full of Stars) is the first one I consider particularly good and clearly is setting up story arcs, the show really starts to take off with Episode 13 (Signs and Portents).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Halal to the Chief posted:

I'm bingeing through Buffy. I'm midway through season 3...can anyone tell me what season it falls off a cliff?

Season 4 and 5 fall off a little (though season 4 has a really great finale episode), season 6 is just terrible bar a couple of good episodes, season 7 is good until it hits a high point with 'Conversations With Dead People' and then it's straight down the toilet from that point on.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I've been watching Breaking Bad, what an awesome show. About to start the second season but about the third: it's not on DVD yet (at least in the UK) so am I going to be stuck watching censored episodes should I not bother airing for the DVD release?

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I think that was it. I thought it was an improvised moment. In a real debate I don't think he would have shared the mic.

I dunno, seems like something that'd go over well with the audience.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Chamberk posted:

Also, Ainsley Hayes is not as annoying as I remember. And still cute.

She's Aaron Sorkin's attempt to show he is not totally partisan by creating a reasonable Republican (which don't actually exist).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kekekela posted:

I'm currently working through Heroes, I'd expected it to be horrible but its actually pretty good.

Give it time, it'll become utter poo poo soon enough.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I started watching Lost this week, and I'm most of the way through season 1. It's really really good! Very glad I got on board with this after it finished, if the mystery keeps up for all six seasons I couldn't bare to wait a week in between episodes. When does it supposedly get poo poo?

Never. Opinions differ as to the high points and low points, only really the first ~7 episodes of season 3 having a concensus on how weak they are.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kekekela posted:

I knew when I read an interview with the producers bragging about their revolutionary approach of "Just deciding on the plot line as things went along instead of having an overarching idea from the beginning" that it was going to end up a horrible trainwreck of inconsistencies, deus ex and contrived bullshit. I was unable to look away in the crazy hope that they'd somehow pull it off though.

"It's the characters, stupid"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Season 3 really hits it's stride just after the halfway point and then barrels forward to a really great finale.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Flatscan posted:

You're best off skipping Tennant completely, if you try to marathon those seasons you'll either slit your wrists or end up with irreversible brain damage.

If he likes Torchwood I'm sure the Tennant era will be fine for him too.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Adrianics posted:

Quick question: I just bought the Gold Edition of Twin Peaks along with Fire Walk With Me and FWWM arrived today. Should I watch it before or after the series?

Definitely after. FWWM doesn't make a whole lot of sense at the best of times but you won't understand anything without having seen the series and you'd end up spoiling some good moments from the series for yourself.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Lost marathon update: We finished season 4 a couple of days ago, circumstances (and the desire to give it a break) mean we probably won't start 5 for a little while yet. What's the general consensus on seasons 5 and 6? I've been reading 'Lost sucks now' comments... well, ever since I heard about Lost. Is there any noticeable drop/difference in quality after season 4?

In terms of my enjoyment, I thought season 4 was probably my favourite so far. The Constant was really really great - in fact, the whole character of Desmond is really very well done - and all the new characters work well. I liked having my suspicions proved that the Island moves, and that it really does operate outside of normal space-time. The only let-downs were the way Locke's been handled since season 2 (though his conversation with Jack before he went down to the Orchid really did a lot to redeem him), and a bit of the Widmore stuff. The flash-forwards were a really cool technique. Oh, and Kate sucks.

4 is a really good season, 5 and 6 carry on at not quite the same pace (4 was compressed about 3 or 4 episodes bcause of the writer's striker).

Opinions on seasons 5 and 6 are split - some people love 5 and don't like season 6, some didn't like season 5 but loved season 6, and obviously some like both. When I watched it I thought season 5 was kind of middling as Lost goes but the last few minutes of the finale put a new spin on the season and makes it more interesting in retrospect and I thought season 6 was great the whole way through.

And yeah, The Constant tends to be the favourite episode for a very large number of people.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

I think someone guessed that was going to happen, posted it on the thread, and when it actually happened the impact was ruined for everyone.

Yeah, there's some obtuse clues in the episode titles that someone decoded very shortly before th final episode aired. Didn't seem to make people less confused & annoyed though.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

foastwab posted:

Also, this might not be the right thread, but is there a certain order I should watch all the Doctor Who stuff? I watched the first season with my family over the past week, and enjoyed it, but there's like, 5 movies and that Torchwood thing.

There's a hell of a lot of Doctor Who stuff and I'm not sure which season you talk about when you say you watched the first season... I'd guess the Christopher Eccleston season?

The show originally ran from 1963 through to the late 80s, was cancelled, had a mediocre TV movie in 199 then was brough back in 2005. Since then there's been the one Christopher Eccleston season, three with David Tennant followed by 4 extended specials and finally one more season since with Matt Smith. Christmas specials every year too between seasons.

Don't watch Torchwood, it's terrible.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

BSG benefits from a binge watch as opposed to a weekly watch, because the scheduling was very staggered. When you're getting a half-season and then waiting 9 months, the filler episodes feel really bad. When you can just go to the next episode immediately, they're nice background.

And, watching it in a short period means you skate past a bunch of possible plot holes and things that don't make sense without noticing them, whereas with a week between episodes pretty much everything gets noticed and it was assumed there would be good reasons for the things that don't make sense. When there weren't and it became apparent that they pretty much were making things up as they went people were disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I would actually probably watch Razor in it's original airing spot between seasons three and four, if for no other reason than to simulate that there was a break there and how crazy it drove people.

Yeah, watch it in the place where it aired. It's won't exactly spoil things but it'll go in assuming you know things that you don't and as a result a bunch of things won't get introduced properly to you.