Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Flatscan posted:

Babylon 5 takes a little while to get going, it doesn't really pick up until the second season, but once it does it casts the first season in a whole new light and retroactively makes it much more interesting. Do not watch the pilot episode, The Gathering, under any circumstances.

Yeah the first season of B5 is kinda off. The large, overarching plot that defines the show isn't really present aside from a couple of episodes which mostly lay down some groundwork and some of the episodes are bad. Like REALLY BAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vikings. I'm up to Season 3 Episode 8, "To the Gates" where the vikings tried to storm Paris and got murdered the gently caress up.

It's been a mixed bag so far. I really like parts of it, and I think sometimes they do an amazing job of being true to history (or at least a slightly exaggerated version of it), and other times it seems they do the dumbest of Hollywood moves like turning Floki into some kind of religious bigot villain who hates Christians, when the Norse didn't historically really give a poo poo about other faiths unlike some other religions we could mention.

I dunno. I guess I'll watch the rest of it, but it sure feels like it's been going downhill over this season.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zzulu posted:

It's never 100% accurate to history and it's not like we know tons about what went down anyway. We got a few accountings from monks and poo poo

Anyway, my point is that the show just gets worse from there on, especially when Ragnar dies and the show becomes about his awful sons

That's a hell of a spoiler to drop in response to a guy who is basically two episodes away from it :v:

Luckily I'd already spoiled myself accidentally by browsing IMDB before I started watching so no harm done!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I used to watch The League with my brother when it first aired, but kinda drifted away from it halfway through, so I went back to rewatch it now on Hulu. It was OK with the occasional really good bit thrown in, often sandwiched between stuff that has aged extremely poorly.

As often happens with long running sitcoms, the characters kinda devolved into one dimensional stereotypes with one characteristic each, so the later seasons seriously started dragging on. At the start of the show Taco, the younger brother of one guy, is a stoner moocher, and towards the end he's pitching literal port-a-potties in people's living rooms, converting everything around him into bongs and driving golf carts around downtown Chicago to play "urban golf".

And of course it leans extremely heavily on the fantasy football thing where pretty much every episode deals with a particular football / fantasy football topic translated into real life. Deflated footballs? How about deflated breast implants! And now this guy is dressed like Bill Belichik and saying things Belichik might have said but in another context!

But yeah, there are some genuinely good jokes and running gags in there so overall it was a fun watch.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 25, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

STAC Goat posted:

I think more than football The League really tapped into that thing when you have a circle of friends who have known each other for a long time and developed so much history and injokes and giving each other poo poo to the point where from an outsider's perspective you all seem like insane psychopaths.

Sure, and that's when the show shines.

But about half of the episodes seem to be built around the concept of "originally timely (but now dated) football reference translated into real life", like they spend the first half of the episode going "how about that time Bill Belichik got caught deflating footballs and spying on people?" and then it turns out that Taco has been deflating Andre's stock of breast implants so he can use them for beer pong, and Andre gets sued by his clients, or dresses like Bill Belichik to make stealthy phone calls to his attorney or something.

Or just bring in some Fox fantasy football guy or fantasy football radio host for a guest spot.

And that's fine, every show needs to draw inspiration from somewhere, and often those jokes do land quite well even if you're not a hardcore football guy. For example, maybe the joke where Ruxin can't tell Jordan Cameron and Cameron Jordan apart gets something extra if you're super into football, but it still works as it is because the joke is ultimately "Ruxin is a dumbass and kind of a racist".