Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Hello Pity posted:

In terms of tone and content it's fairly close to Cracker (the original UK one). Which, if you haven't seen is absolutely top-notch TV (as is most of Jimmy McGovern's stuff) and in my opinion a far superior show. Definitely worth a binge if you like dark serial killer type stuff. One of those shows where the 'good' guys are almost as hosed up and disfunctional as the killers they're tracking down.

I just started in on this and it's a very engaging show. I was kind of put off by the long form of each episode because I was expecting a more traditional get in get out procedural but the extra time helps to get in the mindset of the crime and criminal. Even after decades of psychologically themed procedural shows it still managed to keep me entertained despite the long running time. And so far I've really liked the characterization of Fitz and Panhandle and how he uses her as a prop during interrogations. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

oldpainless posted:

But my job, homework, and a wife pull my attention.

Make your wife do your homework for you. It ties her up and frees you up for precious DVD time. Problem solved!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Jedi posted:

I watched it when season 1 first premiered on Showtime, and it really didn't hold my interest. I just didn't care very much about any of the characters or what happened to them. Recently I got Netflix, and noticed seasons 1 and 2 were on their instant watch so I gave it another shot. I enjoyed it a lot more than when I first saw it, but I still wouldn't call it one of my favorites. I still don't have any great urge to run out and get season 3, but if they put it up on Netflix, I'll watch it.

I'd call it a good show, but not great.

Season 3 of Brotherhood wasn't all that great in my opinion. I thought it really was pretty special near the end of S1 and beginning of S2 though and regardless found the whole span of the first two seasons to be entertaining viewing.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Jedi posted:

I didn't mean to give the wrong idea - I enjoyed it. It's just not something I'd go out of my way to watch.

Nah, I think we're on the same page about the series.

Ratatozsk posted:

So regarding season 3, why did Tommy ask Decco to start up the investigation in the first place? Did he really expect him to not turn anything up or not pursue any leads connected to him, or am I missing something?

If memory serves me right, I don't think he feels like he has any real exposure in the whole mess and that Declan isn't necessarily going to be supercop enough to do anything that might harm him. If I'm remembering correctly he gets him started on this like it means he is totally supporting a "go anywhere" investigation but doesn't really help him much after that point. I think he figures that if everyone's hands are dirtier than his than he won't get targeted. And given that his political futures keep spiraling down the bowl he might not care about the dirt getting kicked up so much. I'm a bit hazy but that's my recollection.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Rabbit Hill posted:

I just started season 1 of Sons of Anarchy and I'm addicted. It is SO HARD to stay out of the Season 2 thread, though.

Don't you dare give in to temptation because watching the series unfurl with no idea of the destination is one of the greatest parts of it. The whole thing is so on edge and take no prisoners that you're :ohdear: the entire time.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Edit: Haha ^ ^ ^

Ratatozsk posted:

The next series on my Netflix queue was Hill Street Blues, but after 6 episodes, I think my curiosity is satisfied. I love me my cop shows and related procedurals, but this isn't quite cutting it. I knew it wasn't going to be The Wire (which is only sort of a cop show) or The Shield, but I was at least hoping for something that I could enjoy as much as Homocide, which this is not. Much more melodramatic and not so much of the actual crime solving.

It's very much like watching St Elsewhere and expecting it to be a cousin to House. The threads are there but it's really just a different slice of television evolution.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

toomanyninjas posted:

A lot of people in this thread have been bemoaning the excessive cost of DVD boxsets, but have you ever thought about checking out your local library? That's where I get most of mine.

I definitely support this idea. Libraries are a fantastic source of TV series and at worst you'll have to have a bit of patience as they bring in a season from another library in their network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Gnatmano posted:

I just watched I, Claudius in two days. I read it back in school at some point, and the adaptation was great. Brian Blessed raging at his daughter's various lovers was amazing, and so was the scene where Claudius has a seizure and sees the shades of his family. George Baker did a great job in the potentially dullest role of Tiberius.

I rarely like TV dramas, but it was just perfect in every way; I think I prefer the theatrical flavor of I, Claudius to more recent TV drama. I can't believe I had not heard of it before.

I almost gave up on this after three episodes. I'm really glad I didn't because it settled in and became great but those were rough hours early on. I don't know if it was the BBCness of it all or what but I found those early hours really unengaging. After I finished it I tried popping in that first disc again and it still didn't work for me.

Still, it was worth persevering because it was very well acted and entertaining. It certainly nailed the tragedy of the whole ordeal and some of the characterizations were very memorable. Some devious bastards in this one.