Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Fatkraken posted:

I just started True Blood

So far I'm really enjoying it, what's the general consensus on the series thus far?

That it lacks the quality of what most consider a true HBO show. It is what I call a bubble gum show. If you don't take serious at all it is worth watching. I enjoyed most of the side characters (Jason, Eric, and the gay cook mainly), but Sookie became painful to me by the end of the first season. I really don't know how to feel about the show overall, but I will be back for season 2. I just hope they fix some of the flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ryaf posted:

I just finished season 1-5 of The Wire. I enjoyed most of it, but season 4 was just not as entertaining as the others. Well written or not, the setting just bored me to tears. Also, Omar is awesome. So is Clay Davis...sheeeeeeeeee-it.

I just watched the pilot for Six Feet Under..think I'll start watching it since that was the best pilot I've ever seen (though they seemed to have a lot of money to make that happen).

I thought season 4 of the Wire was the show's peak with season 3 close behind. It might be because you watched all 5 seasons in a row. Since I watched them all when they originally aired the show might have a different feel to me. Still I felt the only weak point in The Wire was season 5 (which really was not that weak). Greatest show ever.

Six Feet Under is not the greatest show, but it just might be my favorite show. I really enjoyed the first 3 seasons. Season 2 was my favorite while season 3 had one of the greatest season finales. Season 4 was a really a let down for one reason which I can't explain because it gives a major plot point. That said by the second half of season 5 the show was as good as it ever was. Safe to say the series finale of SFU maybe the greatest series finale ever.

There is a reason I still use the user name nate fisher.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Randallteal posted:

Help I watched nine episodes of Terrace House last night and now I can't get the godawful sappy pop opening out of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTE9W8DW5GI

I was so pissed that they changed the song in the newest season of Terrace House. My wife and I would sing it every time it came on. Now with the new song I just skip it. Also we ended up watching every episode on Netflix, and we are now watching the non-Netflix season.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ulio posted:

I saw Deadwood posted it reminded me of Godless anyone seen that on netflix?

Also anyone seen Castlerock any good horror shows other than AHS? I am up to season 3 in AHS.

First Godless is a decent watch, but it is not in the same class as Deadwood.

Second Castlerock is average with one stand out episode and a blah ending. The Haunting Hill House on Netflix (comes out Friday) is getting good reviews. It looks to be inspired by book instead of a remake of the 1963 movie.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It is also one of my favorite books. Also I love Robert Wise�s 1963 movie based on it, but not the late 90�s remake.

I loved Carnivale. That one episode about the abandoned mining town was horrifying.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 10, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mister Kingdom posted:

M*A*S*H started to dip after Radar left.

But that was after 7 seasons.

I do agree that is a good stopping point on M*A*S*H. If I see M*A*S*H on and Klinger is the company clerk, good chance I am going to change the channel.

Nothing against Klinger. He provided one of my favorite moments of the series in season 3 (it is the one were MacArthur visits).

Trilobite posted:

I used to think that, but over the years I've decided that Charles is a much richer, more interesting character that opened up their stories a lot. And also, David Ogden Stiers was an amazing actor, but that almost goes without saying.

Frank Burns was fun...

I also use to think that Frank > Charles when I was younger. As I have gotten older I appreciate how more complex Charles was than the one note Frank. One thing I am pretty even on is Colonel Blake vs. Colonel Potter. They both bring something completely different to the role of CO, and in the end, I love both of them equally.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 6, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Whalley posted:

Nobody told me Superstore's so nice. It's not high end comedy or changing the world or anything, but watching it is just... it's nice. It's dangerous to binge on too much though, because the episodes are a little samey, but three or four in a row just works for me when I'm having a poo poo time.

I remember watching an episode a few years ago and hating it. That said in the fall of last year I started to watch it on Hulu when nothing else was on and I enjoyed it. I don't think it is great or anything, but it is better than almost everything else I've seen come from network TV lately.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Umbrella Academy will not make my year end list or anything, but I've enjoyed it more than any of the Marvel stuff on Netflix I've watched (I still need to watch The Punisher).

Trig Discipline posted:

I thought the first half of the second season was a bit slow, but it did pick up considerably.

I watched the first 2 episodes of season 2 when it was first released, and for some reason I have felt no real desire to go back. Shame because I loved (like funniest show in years love) season 1. Sooner or later I will try season 2 again. Still how did they get the start of season 2 so wrong after getting all of season 1 so right?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jason Sextro posted:

I've been re-watching The Office, and did Ed Helms piss off the writing team? They made him massively unlikeable in the last one-and-a-half seasons.

They handled Andy so bad. His character actually showed some growth (we went from the annoying suck up who loved to say 'Big Tuna' to being a decent guy in love with Erin), but when he returns from somewhere (I don't remember, because I haven't watched any of the last season since it originally aired) he is a crazy prick. That said he did have that amazing quote on the final episode.

Wasn't he off doing Hangover movies at this time?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My wife has been on a Lucifer kick, so I pretty much have watched it here and there. I do enjoy how tongue in cheek the show is at times (that part reminds me of a tamer version of True Blood) and the overall arching plot is not bad, but the crime of the week part of the show is really hard for me to watch.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Mindhunter works better if you have some knowledge of the facts and serial killers. The BSU was part of the ATL murder investigation, and it makes prefect sense for it be included. It helped make John Douglas (Holden is based on him) famous, and he wrote the true crime book the show is based on. While the main characters are fictional, they are used to represent (in a more manageable way) the FBI agents (and their home life) that worked the BSU during this time. Pretty much everything else seems to based on facts. They actually interviewed Kemper, Manson, and so on. Even the BTK stuff is amazing accurate to what he actually did. Of course it wasn't until 2005 that he was caught. So don't expect any confrontation or progress anytime soon. It actually became a cold case for many years..

While I still think it is a great show, I did prefer season 1. Honestly the ATL child murders scared the poo poo out of me as a kid (I was around 8 or 9 when it became national news). I remember watching the news with my parents and seeing that number just go up.

Funny, on a more extreme level of not knowing what someone might consider general knowledge, I have seen people complaining or confused about Once Upon Time in Hollywood, because they had no idea what Charles Manson did and who Sharon Tate was. That really changes the movie you are watching.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 4, 2019

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Solice Kirsk posted:

Banshee and Spartacus are two of the most underappreciated TV shows of the last 10 years. I'd say give both of them about 3 episodes before making your decision.

Genre shows tend to fail at walking the line between action/violence/gore, romance/sex, drama, and camp/humor. They are just unable to get that right balance of tone. Popular genre shows like True Blood (which to me was all over the place) and Sons of Anarchy got it right at certain times, but in the end they completely failed. That said both Banshee and Spartacus walked that line as good as any show has ever walked it. Spartacus is even more insane given the circumstances of not only losing your lead actor, but to give him time to get better by doing an prequel to delay season 2. The fact they nailed the prequel, and on top of that nailed the recasting of Spartacus in season 2 is just amazing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

I honestly don't see where the $120 million went with the first season of Rome. I think there was a huge mismanagement of the budget and that's probably why the show was cancelled. Also HBO was probably looking for Sopranos viewing numbers and got nowhere near that. The first season of Game of Thrones was 60 million and it looks just as good.

I am just glad Rome got an ending unlike Carnivale.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ulio posted:

My view was pretty much the opposite. I found the adventure way more fun than the destination. But I am definitely not part of the people who think the ending invalidates all the good parts of it. It is still one of my favorite tv shows of the last decade.

Exactly, and to this day I am not sure how I feel about the finale. Still A+ TV.

I will say that the Game of Thrones finale has somewhat tainted the series overall for me. Hell I thought there was some good episodes even this last season, but to give the audience an unearned ending out of nowhere almost ruins the whole thing. I am not talking about Daenerys' arch either. I am fine with that. It is more about how the whitewalkers ended up being no big deal and how Bran ends up on the throne. loving rush job.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 1, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

punk rebel ecks posted:

Was Lost's season finale as bad as Game of Thrones?

Jesus Christ not even close.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Elias_Maluco posted:

I'm 2 episodes in and that's exactly what I felt: is like watching a videogame, a CRPG to be more specific. A good one, even, but still a video game. Which is kinda interesting but I dunno. I'll watch the whole thing anyway

Visually it is very impressive

edit: the main character is somewhat boring, though. Kinda like a typical, generic, RPG main character

I don't think it is bad, but it is not great either. Just pretty average (like almost everything Star Wars recently).

I think I am officially done with Disney+ for the next 9 months or so. There is not a thing I have a desire to watch or re-watch now after almost 2 months. It really is a sub you only need for a month every year unless you have young kids (hey once I have grand-kids one day I might be a full time subscriber). I am sure the library of originals will build up overtime, but given that they don't allow R rated stuff and that everything is going to be mostly Star Wars/MCU this is something I only need in small doses. Also it's hype by the few idiots who are still upset at Netflix for cancelling Sense8 or OA, as a Netflix killer was greatly exaggerated.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

clown shoes posted:

Anybody watching this Dracula?

I liked the first episode. They stick enough to the book to trick you into thinking they are going with the book (they don’t). I haven’t watched the other 2, but from the reviews episode 1 is good, episode 2 is ok, and episode 3 is bad. I love the book and I liked the first episode enough not to listen to the warnings of about how bad it gets. So planning to watch the rest later this week (only 3 more episodes of The Expanse to go first).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Affi posted:

Honestly since I got amazon prime its just been so many good shows ive binged!

The Boys was great and fresh.
Patriot topped it in a whole different way. The darkness and humor. I loved it.
Fleabag is the funniest and best produced comedy show since probably evwr.
The expanse! So good to have it back!

Also now im watching miss maisel and its pretty drat good.

I loved everyone of those outside of Fleabag, and that is just because I haven't watched it yet. I plan to correct that soon.

I still like Miss Maisel after this season, but nowhere as close as I did after season 2. This is mainly due to how perfect season 2 was. Also how certain small things are starting to annoying me (urg another musical interlude), and I thought the finale you could see coming from a mile away but you would think a certain character was smarter than that. I think we all know here season 4 is going. I just believe they could have done a better job in season 3 getting to this point.

Finished new season of The Expanse. I really liked it, but I hope next season goes back to our crew moving around the universe more (I only read the original trilogy).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 8, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Wallet posted:

Just watched the new Dracula from the BBC (that's also on Netflix). It's was entertaining but the pacing is off, and the last episode really fell flat for me (it's 3 episodes with a 1:30 run time). There's a couple of great performances in there, but while I get what it was going for it doesn't quite get there.

I haven''t watched the 3rd episode, but I thought the 2nd episode was a mess. I am not even sure what they were trying accomplish in that episode or what even story it was trying to tell. It even tried to be a mystery at times when there was no mystery at all. What a mess. It reminds me of how messy the last few seasons of Sherlock were (same show runners). Despite my love for the first 2 seasons of Sherlock I would be afraid to watch them again, because I will discover it was a mess the whole time.

That said I did like the first episode, but I liked it because they played off what book readers thought were going to happen and tricked them some.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Affi posted:

Trying Killing Eve on for size and its really not very good. Its like a poo poo show. Why did someone recommend it?

I wouldn't say it was bad, but it sure isn't presitage level. For me Jodie Comer's performance and some of the first episodes were pretty good, but in the end it felt super messy. Still haven't watched season 2, but I plan to one day when there is nothing else to watch (which means probably never).

Edit: There was a lot of chatter about season 1, but I didn't hear much of any buzz about season 2. Does it fall short of 1?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 13, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DuhSal posted:

finished all of Schitt's Creek that was available on Netflix and I adored it front to back. now to find a way to watch the final season..

I am at the end season 4 and same thoughts. Once I am done I will miss all of the Roses, especially the way everyone plays off David (especially Alexis). It could have been a typical middle of the road show, but I give full credit to Daniel Levy. He was born to play David.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

phosdex posted:

The 20+ episode seasons they decided to go with for the early 2000s BSG made for some really terrible stories.

I agree that is a a major issue with BSG. My take I The Expanse overall is a better quality show than BSG, but I still prefer BSG when picking favorites. Biggest reason for me is the highs of BSG are much higher than The Expanse so far (to be fair the lows of BSG are lower). Honestly I would take the ‘The Adama Maneuver’ or even the final five reveal over anything I have experienced with The Expanse.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

Mary McDonald is a better actor than any regular on the Expanse. No one even comes close.

100% agree.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I haven’t watch yet, but it sounds pulpy as hell (which I normally love).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The main actor was far from what was and is bad with Altered Carbon.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It took me long enough but The Terror is great. Jared Harris is an amazing actor, and I’m always down for a mini Rome reunion.

I haven’t finished it, but if my memory serves me correctly (it has been 13 years since I read the book) it is doing the book justice.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Grey posted:

My wife just told me she subscribed us to Starz because she wants to watch Outlander.

I don't plan to watch it, but any other Goon recommendations for Starz?

Be a good husband and watch it with your wife (she watched your bullshits shows). I know I had to watch every episode of Outlander...

Spartacus and Black Sails are great, and your wife mat like them too (my wife did). Seconded Party Down!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Grey posted:

I walked in once while she was watching it, and there was a prison scene where one dude was graphically raping another dude. Now I tell her I don't want to watch it because it has too much rape.

Actually it is the most ‘rapey’ show I have I ever watched (before that? Oz maybe?). I just had this discussion with my wife (who is a fan of the books) during the last season about how the show averages a rape per season. We debated if the author has a rape fetish or if it is just a lazy way for her to show how brutal that world is. I don’t mind the show outside of that, but I can’t watch rape at all (man to man is bad, but it doesn’t affect me the way when I see a man raping woman. I can’t watch it at all). There was some backlash a few years ago against the show because of this, but all they have done is to put up a warning on the show (plus hotline number).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Main reason it took me so long to watch it myself was due to how eye rolling bad I have always found Chris Elliot. The show is great despite him and even great a few times because of him.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Torquemada posted:

He was fine in ‘There’s Something About Mary’ and ‘Groundhog Day’ which are the only two things I’ve seen him in, what’s so awful about him?

From me it goes back to when he worked on the Letterman show. I found him more annoying than funny (still do).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Hoult’s performance in The Great reminded me of John Hannah’s performance in Spartacus. What I mean by that is they both played characters that greatly elevated the shows they were on and they both had the juiciest most insane lines.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Hunters felt a SNL skit of a Quentin Tarantino movie. At least the few episodes I watched. What a disappointment.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Despite not being on Earth, have you tried BSG? It is the show that opened my wife up to more sci fi. She refused to watched it (cause it was sci fi), but during season 2 she caught enough of the show to start to realize she might like it. We ended going back and re watching the previous season together. Now it is one of her favorite shows (she likes it more than me).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 24, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

showbiz_liz posted:

Sadly she vetoed that as well a while ago. Too much space stuff. I also get the impression that in the past she lived with dudebros who she hated and she now just won't watch any of the shows they watched a lot, and I think BSG is one of those. (Also, weirdly, Veronica Mars.)

Hmm I watched some Travelers on my own and that could work! I think she said she had seen The 4400 but I'll ask, I was always curious about that one.

Understand.

I assume that given her love for Lost and The Leftovers, she has given Watchmen a watch?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I still haven’t watched SFU since it aired, but it is a show I want to rewatch sooner or later. I do wonder if my thoughts on season 4 would change in a rewatch. Also the season 3 finale gets overlooked (series finale overshadows it) but it is one of my favorites.

I can’t believe Peter Krause is now on some stupid 911 type show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The weakest. In season 4 there was a lot of Lisa fatigue too (Nate trying to figure out what happen to her and people being over it). I do think the mattress burning while playing Radiohead’s Lucky was the highlight of season 4.

Myself I thought season 3 was the best season and a perfect buildup to the finale. Season 5 gets better as it goes and at the end the show is peaking again.

Season 2? It has been 18 years since I’ve watched it and in my memory season 1 and 2 almost flow into one season. The fact I can still remember episodes and what happen from the last 3 seasons, but not season 2 I guess does say a lot about it.

I did change my user name to nate fisher during season 5. SFU wouldn’t make my top 10 of greatest shows quality wise (maybe not even top 20), but despite its flaws it was one of my favorite shows of all-time (I would say the same with BSG, but BSG might crack my top 20).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 29, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The only recent series finale I thought was even close to SFU was Halt and Catch Fire. In some ways you can tell it was influenced by SFU since they had a death of a major character towards the end. That said unlike SFU a lot is still in question (what was the idea they came up with?). . I would even put the Halt and Catch Fire finale over other finales I enjoyed last decade like The Leftovers and Mad Men.

Interesting take on series finales. It points out that The Sopranos and SFU are opposite sides of great series finales. Not that one is better than the other, it is just one leaves a lot unresolved and in question, and on the other side you have Six Feet Under giving you most resolved ending in history. It does talk about Halt and Catch Fire, and other finales so spoilers beware.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/17/16462246/series-finale-best-worst-tv-halt-and-catch-fire-americans

Edit: I will also say about Halt and Catch Fire it is the first finale in awhile that I actually felt sad saying goodbye to the characters.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 4, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

a new study bible! posted:

Wife and I have binged a lot over the pandemic, but the show I continue to think about is Mad Men.

I still think about Mad Men and I watched it when it originally aired. Top 5 show of all time for me.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
We finally started watching For All Mankind. Part of me hopes that this alternative universe space program leads to someone creating cylons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Pablo Bluth posted:

Six Feet Under chat: I'm currently mid-watch (s03e05) having previously seen s1-4 when it originally aired but missed s5 due to a channel change. Maybe I'm misremembering or I've changed, but I've realised I don't like a single person on the show. Well I'll give the baby a pass.

Everyone on the show was completely flawed and I can imagine binging the show could end up making everyone seem even worse.

Myself I have only watched random episodes since it originally aired and I still felt like I enjoyed the characters (I still miss them). Plus some characters did get better in the last 2 seasons, mainly Brenda if my memory serves me right. I have avoided a rewatch, because this is the one show I feel like I would end up liking less if I do rewatch it. If that happens I will have to change my user name.