Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
For All Mankind turned out to be a lot better than I was led to believe by critics. I really liked it and the direction they went with the show.

Finally watching Yellowstone (7 episodes in) since on the Peacock app. Soap opera as hell, but with good acting and beautiful cinematography. It tries to be edgy as hell at times especially with the daughter. I like it, but I wouldn’t say love.

Also had no idea Ryan Bingham was on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Also does AP Bio ever change? I have watched the first 4 episodes and while I enjoyed it, I don’t think I would enjoy binging it. I feel like the main ‘joke’ of the show could get old or annoying over time. I might try to watch an episode or two a week instead of 4 in a row. After 4 I felt well I’ve seen enough of that show despite liking it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The first season is focused on Dennis (or whatever his character is named) trying to get revenge but season 2 drops that. The second is more about him growing to like his job and the people around him. Not sure where the 3rd season can go other than be more of a traditional sitcom but the cast is good so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ok that is good. My fear was the whole series would be focused on him using the students for revenge. While that is funny, I just don't think it would be 3 seasons funny

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Raspberry Bang posted:

So just like every other Amazon original, huh?

Excluding The Boys. That one is actually good.

True if wasn’t for Patriot or Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Also does The Expanse count as an Amazon original now?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok you had me googling for information on this special. Are you sure you heard/read that somewhere?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Solice Kirsk posted:

Been watching Downton Abbey. I don't know if I like it or not, but for some reason I just keep going. I'm on like the second episode of the second season. I'd say the story line I'm invested in the least is the Bates stuff.

I really liked Bates in season 1, but hated almost everything they did with him after that. Honestly I liked Downton Abbey despite its flaws (I even liked the movie), especially the Matthew and Mary storylines. That said the jump the shark moment for the show is at the end of season 3 (oh you will know when you see it). From that point forward the show was never the same.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finished Utopia. Some flaws, bad luck on timing with COVID, and I’m not a fan of cliffhangers, but I actually enjoyed it overall. Given some of the backlash to it I had low expectations, so it was a very pleasant surprise. I do wonder (and hope) if season 2 will still happen. I know Flynn said she is currently writing it and sounds like they are going to move beyond the pandemic (which would be smart given, 2020).

Also always good to see Sonja Sohn getting work.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I binged Mad Men for the first time back in the Winter and absolutely loved it from start to finish so I was naturally recommended to check out Halt and Catch Fire which I finally am. And I’m halfway through season 2 and I just don’t think I’m into it? Idk why, it feels like a perfectly serviceable show, but it hasn’t hooked me.

I think Halt and Catch Fire is the best show since Mad Men, but if you are not into by now it’s not for you.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I loved season 1 of Halt & Catch Fire, and I liked season 1 of The Leftovers. Still that doesn’t change that they got even better in season 2. Of course my take on it, yours may vary.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lucas Archer posted:

While I'm really enjoying The Mandalorian, a few things bug me. Little plot things, but mostly the music. I don't know why, but the score always seems off and out of place.

I enjoy it myself, but take out the Star Wars universe, good chance I wouldn’t even be watching it. It is way too cliche and cheesy. That said the purpose of it is to turn your mind off and enjoy this generic sometimes cute ride in the Star Wars universe.

Oh I agree about the score. It doesn’t work for me.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok just watched the memory episodes from How to With John Wilson and my mind is blown (especially by the stuffing one).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finally decided to watch Peaky Binders and we have flown through the first 3 seasons. I like it, but man it can be ridiculous. I mean like Sons of Anarchy ridiculous.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It’s fun as hell and a lot better than SoA ever was. Its just in my mind I thought the show would be a lot more grounded.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think Ted Lasso also survives on some smart writing too. Yes the show is full of cliches and tropes, but it also twists some of those tropes in ways that makes the show even more likable (especially the way it handled characters like Rebecca and Keeley). Which is the biggest bitch about Cobra Kai when I watched season 1. The misunderstanding trope is the most annoying trope of them all.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 4, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Klowner posted:

haven't seen the show but the part I bolded is why I stay away from the sitcoms/comedy shows that are classically considered "good." So you're saying Ted Lasso doesn't do this at all, or are you saying it does it in an interesting way?

Ted Lasso starts with characters that you assume are nothing but tropes. It has the owner that wants to him to fail, the airhead model, the dumb American in a foreign land, the aging sports star, the new up and coming star, and so on. Honestly the whole show is built on tropes, sports + typical fish out of water.

That said what makes the show great is that it twists many of the tropes just slightly into something else. The writers use these archetypes and tropes to their advantage by making you have preconceived notions about the show and twisting it such a way that it feels fresh. The characters actual grow with arcs that most comedies (especially sitcoms) don’t try to touch. It tells you a lot that there are characters I hated in episode 1 due to my preconceived notions that I ended up loving.

I can’t remember if there were any big misunderstandings in Ted Lasso (I watched when it aired), but the fact I can’t remember tells you it was earned if there was one.

Based on what you said stay away from Cobra Kai. It loves having the story progress only to have it knocked back to square one due to a misunderstanding. I only watched season 1 and half of 2 (plan to get back to it one day), but it feels like if the characters just communicate with each for 5 minutes there would be no conflicts for them to fight over.

Edit: I hope I used the terms trope and archetype correctly

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 4, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finished all of Peaky Blinders, and now I am upset that the one season with a big cliffhanger is the last one since the new season is going to be another year before it makes it to Netflix due to COVID. Really good absurd dark and fun show. It is everything that Son's of Anarchy wanted to be but failed at.

Surprised to find out the actress playing Pol is married to Damian Lewis.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 7, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Sorry. I used that magic key and I ended up in LA working at a funeral home.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Nah, Generation Kill is great and Skarsgård is good in it. He played Sgt Colbert spot on. It does help I watched this when it aired which was before he became famous (before True Blood). Still I’ve watched GK several times since and loved it. It captures being a Marine perfectly (as a Marine I would know).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

2004 had sopranos, the wire and deadwood.
2017 might win it because it had american vandal.

TV has never been better than around that 2004 to 2006 timeframe. You had The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Carnivale just on HBO. You had shows like Battlestar Galactic, The Shield, and Lost on other channels. I am sure I am not remembering some shows, but despite my love for The Leftovers and H&CF (which is my favorite show since Mad Men), 2017 gets in line behind either 2004 or 2005. It was like having 5 to 6 shows airing in one year that were just as good or better than The Leftovers.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Speaking of SFU, EW has released a 20 anniversary look back at the series with cast interviews. Nothing new, but still a nice look back. I just can’t believe it has been 20 years.

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reunions/six-feet-under-hbo-20th-anniversary/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Schitt’s Creek also turned out to be kind and thoughtful, it just stopped being funny the last season.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hughmoris posted:

Unpopular opinion time: Schitt's Creek is good but it is nowhere near as good as a lot of people rave about.

I agree. Part me of wants to say that once David and Patrick became a couple the show wasn’t funny as it use to be, but was the show ever that funny? It is a good show and I really liked all the characters, but it’s humor was hit and miss (the last 2 seasons are mostly a slog). Still I am ok with all the awards it has won, because I like the cast.

Speaking of great comedies, where is season 2 of The Righteous Gemstones? I know COVID, but it feels like forever.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DarkCrawler posted:

WandaVision is my current lockdown binge. It reminds me of Legion, except less dark (I like dark). But also less prone into disappearing up its own rear end in a top hat with monkeycheese musical sequences and random poo poo. Still, thus far by far the best MCU show ever I've seen, (minus Legion which is really good when it is good and I think it is not MCU?), like literally more watchable then all of them put together. Recommend. Lots of neat pick-ups if you know about the characters appearing in comics too. Though I thought one character was someone who they weren't, I thought they went super-obscure with that one but turns out it was just a nobody.

I think WandaVision loses steam once the mystery is revealed and it turns into your typical MCU crap. I still liked it, but man did it finish a lot weaker than it started.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I’m not done with The Knick, but the riot episode is the best episode of TV I have watched in 2021.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I liked season 3 of Stranger Things despite not liking the second that much, and there will be enough time in between seasons (rumor is season 4 will be Spring 2022, so around 3 years) that I am actually kind of looking forward to it.

So I guess I’m not off the Stranger Things bus yet.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RestingB1tchFace posted:

This. Harris is fantastic in it. Had high hopes considering the book was very good. Dan Simmons is one of my favourite authors. Still holding out hope for a Hyperion series.

I use to love Dan Simmons until his own Islamophobia and fear of Obama completely broke him.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I suggest checking out the gorgeous graphic novels written by Joe Hill (Stephen King’s son). I have pretty the same thoughts as you on the Netflix series, but I really liked the books.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I remember several Deadwood actors showing up on both Lost and SoA. I always assume same casting agent or they were big fans.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hizawk posted:

I think season three of Vikings is a disaster. So many odd pacing choices, character deaths with no emotional payoff or anything, and unbelievable characters that had amazing plot development in the first two seasons, it seems like the show is literally just spinning the wheels and advancing a 'plot' that is becoming too broad and less focused.

It's trying and failing hard at being Game of Thrones.

I am almost Dexter-level hate watching the show now. What a loving stupid finale too.

I loved the first two seasons, and I'm pretty much ready to stop watching.

I have always thought Vikings moved too fast story wise. The season 1 storyline was amazing and I feel like they could have stretched it another season or 2. The smaller tribe/village politics was always more interesting than all the other stuff. I dropped off I think sometime in 3 (or early 4) when I realized I was hate watching it.

Still I have fond memories of the Sacrifice episode in season 1. Man that was a great episode of TV.

Also how many times did Vikings draw from the well of my brother might betray me?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sparksbloom posted:

Rewatching Six Feet Under for like the fifth or sixth time and looking for recs of this kind of show — low-stakes dramedy with some amount of depth. Mad Men and Succession scratch the same itch for me. Also really loved Enlightened.

Halt & Catch Fire. To me it is the best show since Mad Men. I still haven’t rewatched SFU since it’s original airing and I hope to change that fact this year. I am curious if I will like season 4 more in a rewatch.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sparksbloom posted:

I've given The Americans and HaCF a try before, but neither grabbed me with the first few episodes. Been meaning to give HaCF another try.

I'll check out Lodge 49, too. Rectify is another show I really loved, even though there's not really any comedy.

HaCF gets great when it stops trying to make Lee Pace into the 80’s Don Draper. Honestly I liked season 1 a lot, but many think it isn’t until season 2 that it gets truly good. Also I will say the final season reminds me of the final season of SFU in relation to how I felt after the series finale. I knew I was going to miss these fictional characters more than any sane human should. I like The Americans, but I never thought it was on the level everyone else did. It was also a B+ show to me.

Lodge 49 is great too, and I need to watch Rectify myself. The Leftovers is another but that season 1 can be dark.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 15, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

Does anyone like Yellowstone? I watched the laboriously long pilot episode and I think all the characters are either dull or I despise them. I can't really tell the sons apart because they all have big beards and cowboy hats. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be rooting for the guy that owns a ridiculous amount of land and is the ultimate nimby that doesn't allow cities to build any housing.

The same people who cried at the end of Sons of Anarchy think Yellowstone is the best show currently airing. Really the same people I know who think SoA was one of the best shoes of all time love Yellowstone. Myself I watched all 3 seasons due to COVID watching last year and it became my guilty pleasure show of 2020. It is not good, but I like it in some strange way (I’m not even hate watching). Shame since given the writer and cast this should have been pure gold.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Started 'Six Feet Under' and not sure if it's worth the time investment. Only four episodes in.....but it feels like a daytime soap. There's so many good shows on TV these days. Anyone want to convince me that it's worth sticking with?

I am a big fan of SFU, but I will be the first person to admit it doesn't hold up was well as other HBO shows from that timeframe (The Sopranos, The Wire, and Deadwood). Even when it originally aired (yes I did watch all of these when it originally aired and changed my user name on here on July 31, 2005 during the last season) SFU was never on the same of level as those prestige dramas, but still it was just a slight step below. During that timeframe I would say The Wire was the best show on TV, but SFU was my favorite. Also SFU was able at times to reach levels that were just as good or better than those prestige shows. The season finales for 2, 3, (I’m Sorry, I’m Lost is one of my all-time favorite episodes of TV), and 5 are just A+ TV.

That said I find saying it feels like 'a daytime soap' is disingenuous and it does a discredit to a show that was a trailblazer for several reasons. Still I understand where you are coming from. I tried to watch The Shield for the first time almost 18 years later and I didn't make it beyond the 2nd episode. I am sure back in 2002 I would have been hooked and a big fan, but the 2020 version of me no luck.

Edit: While I have watched a random episode here and there over the years (the reason I am able to say it doesn't hold up as well as others), I have never re-watched despite re-watching The Wire, The Sopranos, and most of Deadwood. Sometimes I feel a desire to do it, but I guess I am afraid the show's legacy would drop some in my mind if I did (I don't know the opposite might happen). While I would couldn't consider it a top 10 of all time, good chance it currently would be in my top 25.

Also I would say the only show that hit the same spots for me as SFU was Halt & Catch Fire, but I think I might consider Halt & Catch Fire a better show.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 19, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sparksbloom posted:

Six Feet Under hasn't aged especially gracefully, especially its first two seasons -- the secondary characters are sketched really loosely for most of the first season, and there's this sense of middle-class smarm that ranges from "eye-rolling" to "really unpleasant." There's also this weird pro-life undercurrent and some truly dire B-plots. But the acting is consistently great (can't believe Lauren Ambrose hasn't had more of a career), and the relationships between the members of the Fisher family feel real, complex, and vivid in a way that I haven't seen replicated that often. It was a really good show from that time period that wasn't deeply cynical about humanity. Season 3 is top-tier TV, and yeah, the finale is excellent. I've rewatched it at least five times and only really started to notice the show's flaws on my last rewatch, so I think I've finally grown out of it, but I wish more shows were as interested in exploring some of the questions Six Feet Under was asking.

Lauren Ambrose (along with Ethan Hawke for The Good Lord Bird and Michael Dorman for For All Mankind) just got robbed of an Emmy nod for Servant. She is killing it on that show. I do agree about season 3 being peak SFU. That season's finale left me floored. I would say it drops in quality some in season 4 thanks to a certain storyline, but the second half of season 5 is also peak SFU.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

phosdex posted:

On the threads recommendation I have watched the first season of Six Feet Under. I like it but also kind of hate it. Every moment of Billy is bad and I hope plots involving him are done, but I'm guessing no. For an early 2000s show, I'm assuming the David character made some people pretty angry?

I don't think people became angry about the David character until after he became a lumberjack.

That said I watched SFU when it aired and followed it online and I don't remember people being angry because he is gay (I assume that is what you are asking). I'm sure some people were, but it would be the same idiots that would be upset about it in 2021.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

kneelbeforezog posted:

What do you all think about The Chair and its portrayal of woke students fighting against white supremacy but being misguided? Is it anti wokeness? And what would English professors who teacher Chaucer, like in the netflix show, think of Dan Simmon's rendition of the Canterbury Tales?

Is the Chair any good? I have been meaning to give it a watch. Good question regarding Hyperion which I really enjoyed, and wonder if Simmons later anti-Muslim and anti-liberal viewpoints in Flashback would tainted any discussion about his works. I am to the point I can't read anything new from him (I haven't in 10 years).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BiggerBoat posted:

Silcon Valley was loving great and I'm glad I watched it. I love about anything Mike Judge puts out.

Next up, since I love The Wire and now have an HBO login, I have David Simon's Generation Kill locked and loaded. And holy poo poo, every episode gets an "A" from the AV Club, which I didn't think was even possible. Time to go from laughing at tech bros and geeks to getting depressed watching war.

Good news is Generation Kill is hilarious (and depressing at times since it is a real slice of the military). Funniest thing Simon has ever been part of. Also don’t forget Simon’s criminally overlooked Treme. Like The Wire it is a slow burn.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hizawk posted:

GK is probably the truest depiction of the modern US military ever.

And it's absolutely incredible.

As a Marine (back in the 90’s) I was shocked how accurate it was. They 100% captured the way Marines interact with each other. The only other depiction that comes close to it is Jarhead.

BiggerBoat posted:

I watched Treme and liked it a lot.

Not sure I'm sharing your sense of humor regarding GK so far though but to each their own.

The humor is in the interactions and the absurdity of everything. That said I did google GK to make sure it wasn’t just the Marine in me, and the first review I see calls it ‘brutally funny’. It is a different type of humor than Silicon Valley (which I loved too). GK is based on actual events and conversations (yes a lot of script is actual conversations that were captured by Evan Wright). That fact alone makes it more absurd than most comedies could ever be.

Wafflecopper posted:

I liked GK and loved The Wire but couldn't get into Treme. It didn't seem to have a plot or any really likable or very interesting characters. Maybe I needed to stick with it for a bit longer I dunno

In the end Treme is just a glimpse into different cultures and industries who are trying to survive in a community turned upside down after Katrina. Instead of having a major plot outside of that larger idea, it is full of subplots. I can see how the show would be off putting, but I would argue The Wire did the same thing. Treme just focused less on crime and more on day to day stories. It is a very hard show to recommend, but I loved it.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 15, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
For All Mankind needs to keep going until someone invents Cylons.

Actually I believe it will end with the invention of intergalactic travel or something like that. I love the show and I’ll take all the seasons I can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Speaking of horror I am 5 episodes in on Chapelwaite. I’m a big fan of everything that has been written about Jerusalem’s Lot including the short story that is very very loosely based on. This show tries to connect the Lovecraftian aspects of the short story with the famous more vampiric novel. Does it work? So far yes, and honestly I have enjoyed it more than I thought I would. To me at this point, it is the best adaptation regarding the Lot since the original 70’s miniseries (I know not saying a lot). Also is it leagues better than the disaster from earlier this year that was The Stand. Maybe the wheels will fall off by the end, but I like where it is headed. Only real complaint is it is very slow in the first few episodes, but it does pickup.