Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

waar posted:

But HBO has made me realize that the premise of a show can be the most ridiculously silly thing that I thought I'd never have any interest in and still come out to be a great show because everything about it is just quality.

That's why you should watch the premiere of Hung tomorrow night :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aw man, you poor naive soul :smith:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Choculitis posted:

I am now four episodes in to Veronica Mars and my friend told me that it is not a happy-go-lucky show and the ending is not "uplifting." Without spoilers, is this true? I don't wanna get sucked in to a show that's just gonna be depressing and have a sad finale. :(

The season 1 finale isn't really "sad" or "depressing" but in the spirit of the show, it is definitely very dark. Veronica Mars is a mature show that deals with a lot of adult (even taboo) themes, and the finale is very befitting of the series in that respect. Absolutely allow yourself to get sucked into it; just keep in mind that when the show turns to poo poo in season 3, it's the network's fault, not the creators'.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was thinking about it earlier and I realized that Veronica Mars, at least in its first two seasons, is probably about the best non-cable drama out there. Weird.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Competition posted:

With the season 3 ending you can tell that they got cancelled.

It's decent enough but there are a couple loose ends they don't really tie up (not major plot points though), I would have liked to hear how the creator wanted it to finish.

There was some talk of a movie but sadly just the other day Kristen Bell said it probably isn't going to happen.

edit: link

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/07/02/kristen-bell-doesnt-think-a-veronica-mars-movie-will-ever-happen/

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been going back through Deadwood and I had almost forgotten how brilliant the dialogue in this show is.

"Thank you for allowing me my full range of expression!"
Ellsworth :unsmith:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

-Blackadder- posted:

I really hate it when I have nothing to watch. And the last few seasons have seen the end of a lot great shows that were my bread and butter (The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, Deadwood, Carnivale, BSG, even Prison Break) and annoyingly these haven't really been replaced with shows of equal quality.

Have you seen Big Love, Breaking Bad or Mad Men?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swalk posted:

I'm sick so I watched both seasons of Mad Men (20 hours worth) in under 2 days and now I can't wait for season 3.

I've been re-watching in anticipation of season 3 as well. Show looks terrific in Blu-Ray.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jeffersonlives posted:

The third season of Veronica Mars is still totally worth watching if you liked the first two. It's not quite as awesome, but it's still pretty good.

It totally abandons almost everything that made the first two season so great. It's poo poo. But like I've said before, I don't blame the show since it was mostly due to pressure from the new network to make it more accessible.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivek posted:

I watched the first two seasons of Dexter. I thought the first season was brilliant, but I was kind of disappointed by the second season. I'm not sure if I should continue watching or not. Does season 3 get better or worse?

As bad as season 2 is, 3 gets so much worse. Incredibly dumbed down and conventional. My recommendation would be to give up while you still can.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leviathan posted:

3 was still better than most of the television that's available today even if it doesn't touch the first season in terms of quality.

I'd put it on par with most of the television that's available today, which is to say terribly boring and formulaic.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love Oz. It's kind of like Twin Peaks in the sense that it's a very sharp play on hammy soap opera storytelling. The show doesn't get nearly as much love as HBO's top-tier stuff like The Wire and The Sopranos, and rightfully so. But if you accept it as satire, it blossoms into a much prettier flower.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously, save yourself the disappointment. If you already have reservations partway through it, you're going to hate the way it ends. I wish I could back to pre-season 4 times so I still had a favorable opinion of the show.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Choculitis posted:

I was not being sarcastic. I legitimately liked the ending. Yes they were doing a bunch of rear end-covering, but whatever, I still thought it was a good ending to a great show. But I like pretty much anything I watch so I guess I'm just easily pleased. :)

I think they were talking about where you said Lost was plotted out from the beginning which obviously couldn't be further from the truth.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tastychicken posted:

I somehow got the impression that the discussion was about Battlestar Galactica.

No, I don't think that's what Flatscan was talking about.

Count Choculitis posted:

But a lot of it is plotted out. Moreso than BSG was anyway. I mean before they decided on 6 seasons, yeah they were trying to stretch it out a lot (oh god season 3) but you can definitely see a lot of stuff in the early seasons coming back in later ones.

It "came back" because they couldn't just let all of that poo poo go unexplained; they definitely retconned most of it. BSG may have been sloppy and on-the-fly a lot of the time but it was unquestionably more cohesive and planned-out than Lost has ever been.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 27, 2009

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some. He's still right.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And it's still 90% poo poo. I don't see what the big deal is :confused:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'd say it's closer to 30% poo poo. If anything there is too much good TV. I'm far more interested in starting up a new TV series, than watching the latest movie. 10 years ago you would have been called stupid for saying such blasphemy.

Well a cursory glance at your post history shows entries in the threads for Smallville and Prison Break so I guess there's no sense in arguing with you about it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ufarn posted:

I want to get the second season of Chuck on Blu-ray, but have the publishers done anything to assure fans that they won't gently caress up the version this time?

It's still coming from WB, so don't get your hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have The Killing on my DVR, but I accidentally overheard something about the ending. Is it still worth watching?

Your DVR probably has cancer now.