Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Just finished Arrested Development and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for the 20 time, right now my friend and I are working on Curb Your Enthusiasm ad The Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

I just started watching Sopranos last week and I'm about 5 episodes into season 3. I have to say I have yet to encounter a character on TV that I hate more than Janice Soprano. Is it sick that I found it immensely satisfying when she got punched in her fat loving mouth by Richie and then later the Russians? Someone please tell me she isn't around much in the later seasons.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Just started Nip/Tuck and got through season 1 in like two days, and now I'm moving on to season 2. The show seems pretty good so far but I've heard it goes ridiculously off the rails in later seasons.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is probably the biggest understatement in the history of television.

I just finished season 2 and several moments made me laugh out loud in their absurdity. Ava Moore turning out to be the "ultimate transexual" and the scene with Sean raping the real doll stand out in particular. Oh and the Carver is kind of cool, too.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

I just finished the first season of Dead Like Me after my roommate recommended it, but he told me also that they leave some loose ends in season 2 and that the movie is garbage. I'll still finish the series and watch the movie eventually, but does it come to any sort of satisfying conclusion? Do we find out how Rube died? Is the picture in Rube's wallet explored at all? Is Betty ever seen again?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

mcbexx posted:

I just finished Dead like me the other night.
I finally caved, although I never ever wanted to start watching a show that had been prematurely cancelled or did not receive a renewal.

Since there were no loose ends and no unfinished story arcs (there only have been two mini arcs, Rube's daughter and Ray, which both were resolved), the ending of the series was handled well, I guess. I would have loved to see more, because the ensemble cast really played well off another. I liked the change Daisy went through, from ditzy, obnoxious starlet to a more mature and darker character. Too bad she isn't in the movie.

Although I read that the movie wasn't well received, I will try to get hold of it, hoping that it will provide some real closure to the story.

And Ellen Muth is amazingly cute - in a very weird way though...

I finished the series the other day too and there were still some mysteries I would've liked solved. For one, they never show Rube's "origin", though it's safe to assume he was some kind of criminal and got shot or something that night he left his daughter (WANTED poster in a previous episode). It struck me as odd they bothered to show you every other reaper's death pretty explicitly but Rube's is left to speculation. Another thing, what happened to Betty? She goes into someone's light and is never heard from/mentioned again. The next episode she's replaced by Daisy and things continue as normal for the rest of the show. Minor things: George being able to reap Graveling Ray and also seeing Gravelings when she was a kid.

And one final thing: Crystal. She obviously knows more than they bother to explain, such as helping the reapers with their computerized lists, dressing as a reaper on Halloween and obviously recognizing George when she returns to Happy Time in the final episode. Unexplained reaper or just loving crazy?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Uhm, I don't recall that any reaper's death was shown on the show (except for George's) - or are you referring to the movie? Haven't seen it yet.

Mason: drilled a hole in his temple to achieve the "ultimate high"
Roxy: strangled by her roommate after inventing legwarmers
Daisy (not shown on screen): died in a fire on the set of Gone With the Wind (confirmed in series finale)

The Duke fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 10, 2009

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Well, I just watched Dead Like Me: Life After Death. I've been putting it off since finishing the series a little bit ago and I'm thinking I should've kept it that way. Everything about it seemed cheesily thrown together, from the fact that they couldn't even get the original Daisy back (and her replacement is loving irritating to watch), to the terrible antagonist and fairly boring plot. It was nice to see these characters finally break all the rules set up in the series and their consequences, and I would've liked it to focus a little more on that. Instead we get a weak Reggie love story and the seemingly offhanded dismissal of the best character on the show. It wasn't entirely a waste of time (the opening scene with the Rube Goldberg machine was fantastic) and the ending was actually kind of hilarious in its absurdity, but I expected so much more after the overall quality of the show.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Ishamael posted:

Just blew threw Season 2 of Dexter in a weekend. Soooo much better than Season 1! The level of tension in some of the episodes was off the chart. Amazing.

And if the actor who played Doakes had any ability whatsoever, the scenes between he and Dexter in S2 could have been some of the best on TV. But even with that subpar actor they were amazing.

I personally thought Season 1 was a little bit better than Season 2, but the Doakes-Dexter interactions in Season 2 are loving awesome. (Season 2 spoilers)It's too bad they killed him off at the end, I really don't know if the show could pull off another great antagonist like Doakes.

Season 3 was pretty good, a lot of people had problems with the fact that Dexter and the main killer of the season don't really interact outside of like 2 episodes, but I thought Jimmy Smitts was loving great.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The first season of X-Files is pretty loving corny but if you can make it past that there is some truly great TV ahead.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

"Ice" is pretty much just a ripoff of The Thing though, I don't know why it gets such high praise. "Squeeze" and "Tooms" are my personal favorites from the first season.

Season 3 does have my absolute favorite episode though, "Clyde Bruckman's Final Response" guest starring Peter Boyle in a role that won him the Academy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor back in 1995.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 20, 2009

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Maia posted:

Yeah. I think, though, that Bill is a much sweeter (and maybe slightly dumber) character than Roman. Although maybe that's what college does to you.

If you pretend Starr's character from that one episode of Undeclared is Bill in college it becomes even more hilarious.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

I've been stockpiling shows for when I get bored at home this summer and I just started watching Mad Men season 1 (pretty good so far), and I'm going to be starting on True Blood and Scrubs (season 2).

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Human Cow posted:

I'm currently flying through the first season of How I Met Your Mother. I have a feeling that the other 3 seasons aren't going to survive the 3-day weekend coming up.

How I Met Your Mother is one of the most bingeworthy shows I've come across. I easily watched the entire series up to this point within like a week of starting.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

Can anyone recommend some Half Hour comedies?

I've been binging through Yes Dear, Just Shoot Me, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Two and a Half Men via repeats this summer.

I've stopped recording ELR and King of Queen, because I can't really stand the main cast members (bitchy women and stupid guys), and Yes Dear only has a week left before its over.

Party Down, How I Met Your Mother (x3)

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Bonk posted:

Just started season 3 of HIMYM. Season 1 was good and got better toward the end. Season 2 brought it from being a good show to a great show. They added a LOT more running jokes (sandwiches instead of weed is currently my favorite), and the callbacks to previous episodes and plots are excellent (slap bet in particular). My little gripes about it are pretty much gone too, I don't mind Ted or the laugh track anymore.

One of my favorite cutaways in the whole show so far is when it cuts to Marshall giggling with a 2 foot sub sandwich in his hands. I think that was in the second season?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Jedi posted:

AD seemed almost a little too over the top for me. I got the impression, whether this was intended or not, that the writers were going "LOOK OUT KIDS! HERE COMES THE WACKINESS!!"

No one I've ever showed Arrested Development to has gotten this vibe at all. Maybe smoke some :420: and try not to over analyze it the goony goon way? If you can't laugh at "Pier Pressure" (arguably in the top 3 best episodes) there is something seriously wrong.

Just finished Harper's Island a few days ago and thought it was pretty good. Surprised at the amount of gore they got away with on a CBS show and I'm hoping the DVD shows a little more (especially the kill at the end of the first episode). The reveal at the end felt a little weak but maybe it'll be better if I rewatch the series knowing the reveal ahead of time.

Been binging through Lost since the first 4 seasons showed up on Netflix and I'm just now starting the 3rd season. The first 2 were pretty awesome and intriguing, not without it's share of clunkers though. I still can't really stand to see Charlie flashbacks and pretty much tune out whenever it's a Charlie-centric episode. Season 3 has started out pretty good so far though I'm not really liking how they've just kind of dismissed what exactly happened when they stopped pressing the button. Hopefully it'll be addressed as the season goes on?

The Duke fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 6, 2009

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Just finished the first season of Chuck because I heard good things about the second season, and all I'm left with is wondering how it ever got picked up for a second season in the first place. Everything about it is so bland, cliche and humorless that I have to think how anyone could tune in week to week and actually be highly entertained.

The characters are terrible (especially the hideous, balding co-worker and his crappy sidekick), the plots are about as predictable and weak as you can get, and the central mystery of the show is hardly considered as anything more than a simple plot device to mask exposition about characters and macguffins. I won't even get into how "..not with a bang, but with a whimper.." the finale was.

Does the show become any more watchable or should I just give up now?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

SintaxError posted:

I'm looking for more drama type TV. I tried getting into The Sopranos, but I've never really been a fan of the italian mob or guido bullshit.

Give The Sopranos another shot. It's not entirely about "mob bullshit" and is actually quite artistic and profound as it goes on.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Dark Weasel posted:

Weeds! Such an addictive show. Started watching it last month and I've burned through the first four seasons effortlessly. My enthusiasm for it trailed off just a little after season 2, but obviously not enough to turn me away to any real degree.

I'm actually of mixed feelings on the show's quality starting at season 3- on the one hand, I liked the original formula a lot and the sharp left turns it takes in subsequent seasons don't quite live up to the original scenario, but on the other hand I really admire how the show will utilize game changing plots and not cheat its way out of them. The season 2 finale is a great example- nothing gets tied in a bow at the beginning of season 3, and there are actual, long-standing repercussions to what happens. It's kind of cool.

Weeds was such a good show for the first 2 seasons, and I definitely agree that season 3 is where it starts to go downhill. I still enjoyed it, but you could tell it had lost a bit of it's luster. Thankfully, the season 3 finale can also serve as a pretty decent series finale so folks have the option of tuning out then if they want and not miss a whole lot by not continuing. I kept watching and season 5 is definitely the worst of the bunch by far.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Ultimates2 posted:

Over the past week or so I watched all of Dead Like Me. Season one was amazing, but season two got kind of hokey. I'm not saying it got bad, but the quality definitely declined from the first season, so I can see why they stopped making it.

Haven't watched the movie yet, since I've only heard bad things about it. I'll get around to it eventually.

The movie is completely awful, I guess watch it if you can't get enough of the characters after season 2.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Cromulent posted:

I'm halfway through season 4 of Oz, and I think I'm gonna bail. I thought the first two seasons were really good, and even some parts of season 3 were cool, but it's just gotten ridiculous now. The never-loving-ending series of bullshit happenings between Beecher, Keller and Shillinger are just tiresome now. And the aging drugs....I just don't know how much I care about seeing the remaining two and a half seasons.

If you made it this far, I'd say it's worth sticking out to the end. The series finale is good and there are some decent episodes along the way.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Meow Cadet posted:

I just finished the first 2 seasons of Weeds on streaming netflix, and onto season 3. Season 1 slayed me, it was fantastic. Season 2 was still pretty good, but it's quickly turning into something that I'm watching just because I started it, and not because I'm finding it brilliant. I think maybe they progressed the story to quickly, as I loved the 'Soccer Mom' dealing at games, but when she starts expanding into dangerous territory, it is less fun to watch for me.

There are at least 5 seasons on Netflix (is this still in the air? I'm not sure). Should I keep watching, or will I just get further and further disappointed as I continue into Season 3 and beyond.

The end of season 3 is a pretty good place to stop but I guess the show is still kind of amusing though it's now a completely different show. It's coming back for a 6th season but I don't know when it starts.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Just about done with The X-Files (finale + movie to go when I get the time), really enjoyable show the whole way through.

Also going through Weeds after watching the first 2 seasons as they aired. Season 3 was excellent, escalated everything to a hilarious degree but the transistion to season 4 is really jarring so far. I'm 2 episodes in and I miss the gently caress out of Agrestic :(

I feel like I've posted this at least 4 times by now but I really feel like Weeds should've stopped after season 3. The finale works pretty well as a series finale and the seasons after just haven't been that great. I still watch because I'm invested in the characters but the quality and 'laugh rate' for me have not held up at all. Season 5 as a whole is probably the worst it's ever been :(

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Arthe Xavier posted:

I'm currently binging through Curb your enthusiasm - about half-way through Season 2. I'm enjoying the show immensely, even though the awkward situations make me cringe and I wish to God that Larry David would catch a break every once in a while. Great show with a wonderful sense of situational comedy, just like Seinfeld!

Curb is pretty much the best comedy show ever, in my opinion. Just about every episode has me tearing up in laughter. And thankfully, every single season is good!

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Adrianics posted:

Seriously, just loving watch Terriers. Please?

Well it's a bit late seeing as the show's been canceled since December, but I'll agree with everything you've posted. I recently marathoned the series for the first time a week ago and I can say without a doubt that Terriers was probably the best new show to come out last year. Everything about it was loving awesome and the leads had ridiculously perfect chemistry and I'm sad that I'll never get to see another mystery solved by those 2 lovable bastards again.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Started watching Parenthood. I think the character interactions are pretty great, but I'm so going to have a drinking game with this - a shot when a character gets teary eyes.

Two shots if it's Lauren Graham, who I'm pretty has cried in every single episode thus far.

I'm watching this right now too, I'm about halfway through the first season. Does this show ever get "awesome" or have any stand out episodes because so far I've just been mildly entertained by most of what I've seen.

The show does also occasionally slip into ultra corny mode, like when everyone is trying to talk to the teenage boy about masturbating in the shower 5 times a day and you just want to throw your remote at the screen to make it stop, but everything else is pretty good so I can tolerate that because Peter Krause owns.

Also the woman who plays the uptight lawyer mom is mostly unbearable.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Glee: they are all just exaggerated cardboard cutout high school archetypes? The show got a few chuckles out of me but isn't really smart enough to be laugh out loud funny to a grown up, but also is nowhere nearly edgy or engaging or subversive enough to be taken seriously. And the plot is disjointed and badly paced - characters and entire plot arcs that were the center of one episode completely disappear and are not mentioned at all in the next episode, to the point where I can hardly tell if I've skipped or missed an episode, or mistakenly skipped to another season. Maybe I was going into it expecting something a bit more clever in terms of plot or writing, or the show has just aged badly and has a lot of filler episodes.

I haven't watched a lot of VM but I just had to fix your post ;)

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm halfway through The Cape. It's laughably bad. This show would have been at home in the 70s. When the bad guy actually said, "I want him eliminated...permanently", I knew I was in for a bumpy ride.

Network TV needs to just stop trying to make superhero shows for a while.

The show is so horrible but there's a pretty awesome flashback in one of the last few episodes where it's revealed Scales hates midgets because one denied him cake that is one of the funniest things I've seen on TV all year.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

precision posted:

And my God, episode 6 (I believe) is one of the best hours of any show I have ever seen in my life and that is including The Prisoner. One word: milk.

That's the Christmas Special, episode 7.

And Nathan is the best character on Misfits, sucks to see him go but the rest of the writing is so tight I hope we aren't missing him for too long.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

No it is not. The Christmas Special is the one with the guy who sells powers and he gets the groups and Jesus.

My bad :shobon: just marathoned the whole series so it all kind of bled together for me.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Jamesman posted:

OK, I started watching Misfits on recommendation of this thread, and you guys were right. It's pretty darn nifty, and Simon is the best character, but I'm sad Hulu only has 5 episodes up of the show.

Well you should get to finish season 1 tomorrow if they are keeping to their schedule of a putting up a new episode every Monday.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have The Killing on my DVR, but I accidentally overheard something about the ending. Is it still worth watching?

Delete that poo poo so hard your remote snaps in half.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Cocks Cable posted:

Just started watching Mad Men since it finally became available on netflix streaming. Only two episodes in, but I'm already in love with the show, although I fear I'll develop lung cancer just from watching it. The atmosphere and setting are so horrifying, hilarous, and mesmerizing all at the same time. I feel like a devout Mormon enjoying Queer as Folk.

The smoking really gets toned down during the later seasons. Don still chain smokes like a maniac but it's not literally every scene like the first season.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Simon is creepy as gently caress and a great character (season 2 spoiler)I was a little disappointed when he was revealed to be Superhoodie but that turned out pretty good too. And yeah the loss of Nathan is going to be hard going into this new season. Robert Sheehan dropped out to do some lovely plague movie with Nicolas Cage? :downsbravo:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Bored to Death. The second season is especially fantastic.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

What's the general opinion of Falling Skies? I have a friend who has the whole series and liked it (we have similar tastes, usually, and he recommended it).

You will believe a man can hug his sons, sometimes multiple times per episode.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Modus Operandi posted:

So what's the appeal of Vampire Diaries ? Because the first few episodes of season one sucked hard and I ended up not watching the rest of the season that I borrowed. It's like some twilight clone with plastic surgery enhanced white people and teenage angst. I was expecting some surprise with this series because so many people here have been recommending it.

I was pretty much hooked by the third episode, Friday Night Bites. When Damon kills the football coach out of nowhere I knew the show was awesome.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Doctor Candiru posted:

Or maybe I'll coast through The Venture Brothers again and absorb its brilliance yet another time. I can't believe SA isn't packed to the brim with Venture Brothers fans.

There was at one time a pretty big VB thread I think but it hasn't been on TV in quite awhile (the Shallow Gravy mini movie thing was what, a year ago?) so I don't think it's around anymore.

I really need to pick up the Blu-rays sometime :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

As enjoyable as it is, it's a Cinemax show and like 3 people would be posting in the thread.