Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
How I Met You Are Mother. A friend had been bugging me to watch this stupid show for like two years and I always said no, but I finally gave in and watched the first 3 1/2 seasons in a week. It's a cool show, not great but you know better than other laugh track sitcoms. I wish there wasn't a laugh track but it's not too bad, they don't use anything other than a basic laugh.

thizzmalion posted:

Freaks and Geeks, and I really don't see why everybody gets all hot and bothered over it. Most of the time it's bullshit dramatic crap or way too cheesy.
no

pwn fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Trophy Boner posted:

the hell are you talking about
HIMYM uses a laugh track.

Or at least sounds like it does. I've read that the producers show the finished episode to a studio audience and record reaction. If that's true then they consistently get really sedated crowds, because it doesn't feel "real."

Watch any of "Lucky Louie," which was recorded entirely live for an audience, old-school style, and you can hear how real it is. HIMYM doesn't sound like that, it sounds like laugh tracks. Maybe they do play it for a live audience but edit out a lot of it or something. Same basic idea as a laugh track by then, it's no longer an authentic reaction to the material being presented (and there are a LOT of moments in HIMYM that should have/would have gotten a roar [or a groan or whatever] from a real audience that had the same, dull "hehehehehehehehe" laugh track.)

I acknowledge the difference between recording a show live in front of a studio audience and playing a tape on monitors for a studio audience, but even taking that into account it sounds far too canned.

pwn fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 3, 2009

pwn
May 27, 2004

You're in for some hard times when you get to seasons 5 and 6.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Speaking of The West Wing...

The sets of each season vs. the complete series box set.

From what I've read, here are the pros and cons of each, and if I'm wrong or if there's anything to add, please let me know:

Season sets - PROS
  • English subtitles for all seasons
  • Friendly packaging for both shelf and practical use

CONS
  • First four seasons are flipper double-sided discs

Complete Series set - PROS
  • Deluxe-looking packaging
  • Script book for an episode
  • First four seasons are on single-sided discs

CONS
  • No English subtitles for seasons 5, 6 and 7
  • Packaging isn't practical for use, hard cardboard sleeves can scratch discs when removing and replacing
  • Packaging is pretty but how practical for actually storing on a shelf with other DVDs?

So I dunno which to get. But they're all overpriced at $50 a season and $220 for the series right now at Best Buy so it's a moot point at the moment.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Rescue Me. Great show. Been meaning to watch it the past 5 years, finally got around to it. Hulu has the first four seasons in near-entirety, I'm halfway through season 2, it's been pretty swell. The machismo disturbs me at times but I get that the show is merely reflecting the reality of the situation, not condoning it. Good show.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also check out Undeclared, another one-season wonder in a similar vein from Apatow. I need to heed my own advice; I still haven't seen it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I have to agree on Avatar. I've only seen the one movie, at a friend's house when I was too stoned to argue with the selection. I was surprised at the depth and the morality to it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

The Office, 30 Cocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Jarl posted:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Just finished the first season of drawn together. My friends should have told me of this one earlier. Especially the first to episodes made me laugh out loud ("for realz not for flav flav") and tear my eyes up from laughter.
Favorite character is Ling Ling (a hell-bent Pikachu parody) who lives in his own world. Also he is a mighty warrior, which he proves whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Best animated comedy since the fourth season of Futurama ended. Although don't be fooled this one is not like Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, and thank god that they actually do try new things.
I had to check your post history to make sure you weren't trolling. I haven't observed Drawn Together to be a show looked on too favourably around here, it's rare someone likes it or heaps praise like that upon it.

I'm glad you like it, but eh, it's not for me. I could use a bunch of adjectives (sophomoric, puerile, base, etc.) but honestly it just doesn't appeal to me at all. It's trying too hard. Who knows, maybe I just don't "get it." For example/comparison, I love Strangers with Candy. Brilliant, sardonic, dark show. But I could easily imagine someone watching a couple episodes and coming away feeling as I do towards Drawn Together.

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 30, 2009