Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Just binged the first three seasons of Dexter and I wish I had Showtime.

Probably top 3 best TV series I've ever watched, even among the best HBO has to offer.

It's so hard to ignore the current Season 4 thread. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
So, I'm really getting into Lost and holy crap what planet was I on when this was first airing?

I'm about middlish-close to the end of S2 where the suspected Other "Henry" is getting under Locke's skin about Jack calling the shots.

For the most part, I have a hard time giving a poo poo about any of the characters except for Locke, Sawyer, and Hurley. Sawyer's speech about taking the guns was so :aaa: good. I wish there were more Hurley-centric episodes as opposed to the seemingly endless ones about Claire and that loving kid. I hate everything about those episodes because every five seconds it's "CHAW-LIE" and "MY BAY-BEE". Goddamn ugh. Also, Locke rules, Jack drools :colbert:

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Johnny reminds me -- one good thing has come out of a Claire episode and that is Locke beating down Charlie like a bitch :hellyeah:

Also, call me easily entertained, but my jaw hit the floor when Artz got blown up. Hurley's line shortly after that to Jack was so drat funny -- you know the one.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Aww poo poo :lost: Season 2

I was really beginning to come around to Anna Lucia and her tighter-than-tight jeans, gently caress you Michael :mad:

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
:lost: S3 Finale

Whoever said I had good poo poo coming to me in S3 wasn't joking, holy poo poo that was a good finale. Incoming blackness. . .

Jack beating the hell out of Ben
Hurley running motherfuckers over
Locke's THROWING KNIFE kill
Sawyer murdering the hell out of Tom -- "Dude...he like, gave up. It was over." "I didn't believe him." His earlier kill of Locke's dad was pretty :aaa: too

Hobo Jack in the flash forwards was sadder than hell. The whole time I was thinking, "drat, those Thailand bitches really sent him over the edge", then BAM Kate out of nowhere. Jack sold the hell out of those last scenes, especially when he talked about praying about the planes going down everytime. Chilling.

TL;DR: Jack is awesome, Locke is sorta dead to me.

Sorry for all the black, but it's Lost.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
I'm jealous :(

I have to hold off on Season 4 until after finals week because watching any more of this show will wreck my GPA. :smith:

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Finals are over and I'm back on the :lost: train

I'm three episodes into Season 4 and this is what I think is going on:

I don't have any idea what the hell is going on :(

p.s. except that Sayid is Hitman part II for Ben (what the christ!) and that John Locke is one crazy/fascinating bastard.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
I'm on a f'n bender here. Just blew through 'Cabin Fever', and here's a few thoughts I have about this god forsaken show:

1.) When Ben says, "Let me do X and I'll tell you everything I know", Locke lets him do X, but Ben never really tells him much of anything. Locke enjoys this game.

2.) The "Michael is the spy!" reveal in an earlier episode was pretty :aaa:

3.) Lost = the show where all conflicts happen because no one ever just tells the other person what exactly they're gonna loving do.

3a.) I love this show.

Mr. Sloth fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 14, 2010

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
So, binging Sons of Anarchy...

This show is retardedly good & I can't WAIT to pick up S2 tomorrow. But one thing, people -- I just finished the S1 finale earlier today and despite how crazy and intense the last two episode were...there's something I can't get out of my head that happened even before those last couple episodes.

<Spoilers, seriously DO NOT read this if you haven't seen SOA Season 1>

Jax and Tara screwing over the dead body of Dutch loving Wagonbach!

I mean, what the hell is with Kurt Sutter? That poo poo made me wince more than anything I've seen in AWHILE, crazy bastard.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Speaking of True Blood, I'm about 4 episodes in on Season 3 and it's awesome. Keeping Sookie and Bill separated at least for right now is making this show a lot more watchable. Lafayette getting back some of his pizz-zazz is nice, too :shobon:

"You pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?"

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Just finished season 4 of The Sopranos...and I don't really know what to think about this show.

Don't get me wrong it's really good, but every single goddamn season, there is some straight up retarded I-gotta-fast-forward-through-this-to-get-to-Tony's-next-scene plots going on that just make watching the show more like a chore (though, you could say this about a lot of shows). Why can't somebody clip Janice is what I'm asking.

Anywho, I'm going to keep powering through -- I really dug a whole lot of season 4 (minus Janice and a bunch of Paulie poo poo that I thought was completely out of character) and it has had practically the best scenes so far of the series which I have whittled down to the top three:

Paulie: You're a wormy cocksucker, ya know that?
Silvio: DDDDOOOOOOOHHHHHH!

and

Chris killing the dog

and thus leading to the greatest scene of all time

Tony: Woah, woah, woah, you killed the dog? What'd you do that for?
Chris: It was an accident!
Paulie: What was it barking?
Adriana: He sat on it while he was high!
Tony: Oh, Jesus Christ!
Carmela: ...knew you were high at my mother-in-law's wake.
Tony: My mother's wake...Jesus Christ.

edit: didn't mean to break up Dexter chat, but I forgot to post the obligatory Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_peSCECc4I

Mr. Sloth fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 17, 2011

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Soo, I'm about 5 episodes in on Six Feet Under and I pretty much despise the three female leads. Well, Brenda is tolerable but I absolutely cannot STAND the actresses/characters of Ruth and Claire. I see some fast-forwarding in my life very soon...

P.S. David just had a Dexter-like moment with the Kroehner guy and it was creepy as poo poo :stare:

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Near being halfway through Six Feet Under Season 2, some thoughts about the main characters:

-Peter Krause/Nate has some serious range -- between the accidental hit of X, falling apart when telling David about his condition, his freak out on the ridiculous blonde chick with the chipped casket, his outrage towards Billy's crazy poo poo, and the list goes on...it just amazes me how seamless he transitions into these different states of mind/emotion. Good poo poo.

-David is easily, hands down the best character on the show, though.

-Claire is less annoying to me in Season 2...the whole drama with Gabe toned her down for me/made me feel sympathetic to the character I guess. I don't immediately feel the need to fast forward through her scenes anymore, which takes me to...

-Ruth get the gently caress off this show.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
A few episodes in on Sports Night and I like it.

I just wonder what the conversation was like when Sorkin was doing West Wing and called up Joshua Malina to play a part in it --

"Hey dude, have you ever wondered what it would be like if Jeremy Goodwin worked at the White House?" :master:

p.s. Laugh-track :stare:

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Just finished season 1 of Fringe.

Thoughts:

--Olivia, you are bland as poo poo, but you are serviceable. The actual writing of the character is what I like most, so hopefully the actress steps her game up in S2. Also, the on and off sister subplot is going gently caress-all anywhere, what the hell is up with that. If that's going somewhere, I don't care.

--Walter is a much better character when played seriously and not as the aloof/eccentric/crazy dude i.e. comic relief. Everytime I hear something like, "I have an erection" or "I have to tinkle" or "Two Things:" where you say the first thing that relates to the case and the second thing is some off the wall poo poo that makes the other characters (and myself) groan BLOWS. I bet I'm in the minority here, but I hated it. More power to the writers were they to eliminate this entirely as they mostly did towards the end of S1.

--Peter's days of basically responding to Walter's aloofness / being Walter's translator / having plot-advancing "connections" are hopefully over as they seemed to be towards the end of the S1. I can get behind him having a far greater role here and with the tombstone reveal, I'm sure he will...speaking of which, they should have ended the season there instead of what we got...my thoughts on that in a minute.

--Charlie sounds like Matt Dillon to me and it is distracting as poo poo. Other than that, he is boss. I'm glad they treat the FBI on this show as not-complete gently caress ups.

--Broyles/Lt. Daniels, you are a badass. You should be in every scene, no lie.

--Sandford Harris, you are gone, but you are forgotten. That character is perhaps the most shoehorned-in antagonist in all of television and easily the worst part of the show.

--Despite how off the rails the last episode went as far as getting into the show's mythology, it's still gripping and I'm curious to see where it goes. I can't help but to have rolled my eyes throughout that whole sequence of scenes where Olivia goes through all the boxes of old cases to find out where they're trying to open the window and then Nina explained the soft spots. That whole thing was not handled well, but maybe it's just me. When they kept trying to show the patterns on the map and filling in the lines I was all :geno:

"oh all the lines point here"
"that's where they're going"

No poo poo.

--And last but not least, the very last scene was so loving bad, but to be fair to the show, it was mostly because of the context that I saw it in. When it panned out to show the WTC, I immediately thought of that Remember Me movie and it's 9/11 reveal scene and couldn't help but relate the two...it could have been redeemed with "Yakety Sax", but no :froggonk:

Again, not the show's fault, but still even considering it despite all of that I think it still blew chunks. Just hated it.

Nimoy as Bell was cool I guess...I'm not even remotely a fan of Star Trek, though, so I'm sure that was cooler for the fans. Bleh.

Overall, good show, onto season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Just finished season 2 of Fringe.

The Good

--Olivia is not as bland as she was in S1. Really dug her in the last few episodes, had the best character arc this season. Still don't know why the sister and her kid is on the show and I still don't give a gently caress about 'em.

--Walter got little development this time around between episodes 1 to loving 16 which sucked (though there was a pivotal episode or two in there like 'Grey Matters'), but episode 16 to the end were excellent Walter-building episodes.

--The Mr. Secretary reveal is like a Top 5 "OH poo poo" moment of all time. Greatest payoff to the shittiest of episodes ('Northwest Passage'), wish I'd been in the Fringe thread for it.

--The 'Peter'/1985 title sequence was awesome. I was like :D the whole episode.

--Everything that happened starting with episode 16 to the end was mostly pretty good stuff, especially the last few eps.

--Peter Weller had a great turn on this show as a one-off character. Peter Weller is good in everything pretty much.

The Bad

--Peter is the sophomore slump when it comes to characters. Didn't really care for the way he was used in S1, cared a lot less for the way he was used in S2. 'Northwest Passage' was Peter-centric, but was probably one of the harder episodes to get through. I don't blame Joshua Jackson, I blame the poo poo writing for 99% of that episode...the aforementioned ending redeemed it, but still -- that ending would redeem any crappy episode.

--Broyles got one episode focused on him and not a lot of screen-time after that. gently caress this show. Also, the FBI/Fringe Division aspect of the show pretty much all but disappeared. Cutbacks or something? Meh.

--The old switcharoo as this season's cliffhanger left a lot to be desired...it somehow crawled underneath the low bar set by S1.

The Ugly

--The musical episode. Whew boy, glad I didn't have to wait a week for the next episode like the people watching in real-time did. I'd have quit.

--Some of the writing was just atrocious in the last few eps., mainly:
-Peter's first conversation with Walternate occurs OFF-SCREEN :wtc:
-The powered-up meditation to get the team to the alt universe was just :rolleyes:
-Peter's literally-it-took-a-second decision to go back to the old world with Olivia. He just came over, saw this cool new world, re-connected with his real dad and mom, and all she does is show him a paper and does the chick version of "you complete me" and he's in. No struggle, no nothing. Ugh.

--Basically all the filler episodes which was a majority of them from 1 through 16. There were diamonds in the rough like 'August' or 'Grey Matters', but they were sandwiched between a bunch of poo poo. What a waste.

Overall, whatever, onto season 3.