Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol

Last was all of Arrested Development when I discovered it a few months ago, and Look Around You when I bought both seasons on DVD last week. Next will probably be How I Met Your Mother season 3 and/or 30 Rock season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol an idol

I devoured Paranoia Agent in about 24 hours. Absolutely amazing show, the best anime I've ever seen.

Aside from that, still working my way through Mad Men, and the Twin Peaks gold set should be arriving any day now. I also leant my friend the first season of How I Met Your Mother a few days ago, and he finished it last night.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Earlier this month, I watched the entire series of Twin Peaks, plus all the extras on the Gold Box set, the movie, and all the extras on the DVD of that over a five-day period. Absolutely fantastic show, only beaten by Arrested Development as my favourite show of all time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Jedi posted:

If someone is going to make a statement that it's not the best, when nearly every noted TV critic says it is,

This part is meant to be sarcastic, right? Right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

I seem to binge The Sopranos in two-season bursts. Got through seasons 1+2 sometime in late 2008, then did 3+4, but haven't touched 5 since I finished it a couple of weeks back. I'll probably go for it in a few months.

I've also been binging the US version of The Office - up to season 4 right now, and it's really good. Angela is the best character.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

I remember really liking that scene, as silly as it is. I recently marathoned Veronica Mars season 1 and the whole thing is just completely fantastic. Taken a break on a friend's recommendation, though, and so have started on Boston Legal. Episode 4 was brilliant (the one where Alan gets Sally to befriend the clerk who's a witness in some case where he's representing the defendant, then invites him into the office and just completely tears him apart). I'd only ever seen seasons 3/4 before, and while the crossdressing silliness and such was a lot of fun this is far superior.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

I'd argue that season 5 is still awesome, if only for the Michael Scott Paper Company arc, and it's season 6 where it really becomes bad. But yeah, season 4 is definitely where the show's style begins to change/dip, despite some hilarious eps.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Which season of Smallville was it when Lana gets a stalker? I stopped watching after that episode. During the scene where he sends her a dress and she reads the card which says "I want you to wear this..." I as a joke went "WHEN I KILL YOU!" out loud, and got a couple chuckles, and then that's what it actually said

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

I'm glad it's not just me who never managed to get into It's Always Sunny. I've tried a few times but can't get past the third episode. There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't laugh. Perhaps we should try some sort of forced marathon thread and see how far in we get.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

I watched Seinfeld from the beginning and loved it, but if you didn't I think season 3 or 4 may be a good start. They're generally considered the start of the "golden years", and 4 is the first one to have an arc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Firefly isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but I agree that it's pretty drat overrated. I think if it hadn't been hosed with as bad/cancelled it wouldn't be anywhere near as universally praised. Then again, much like Chuck, it seems to be custom-made to appeal to the kind of people who turn into rabid obsessive creeps over TV shows, so who knows?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

I completely agree on The Work Outing, such an hilarious episode. The way everything ties together when Jen turns around and Moss is at the bar is fantastic. I wasn't as big a fan of season 3, though, and season 4 (aside from the fairly great opener) is just duff, and ruined Moss' character for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

PDMChubby posted:

I tried to give it a fair shake, but the main character is literally Juno and the rest of the characters are the cast of Degrassi.

literally Juno? Really? Teenage girl who occasionally comes out with witticisms =/= Juno? Well, okay!

I really don't know how people can think the characters in VM are cardboard cutouts or whatever. Maybe in ways they adhere to stereotypes, sure, but they're all very well-developed and fleshed-out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

marnold posted:

Veronica is nothing like Juno. Unless you simply judge characters on their speed of speech. That is LITERALLY the only connection you can draw.

This is a great post, although I'd spoiler that bit about the end of season 3 if I were you - I've only seen the first season, for instance.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I think I'm the only person on the planet for whom The Wire didn't do anything AT ALL. I had to force myself to sit through the first few episodes and then I just sort of threw up my hands and said "welp" and ejected the DVD forever

The Wire is an incredibly slow burn, but it pays off in so many ways. I never had to force myself to sit through it or anything but I was definitely restless towards the beginning, and now it's my favourite show. It demands a lot more from its viewers then pretty much any show I've ever seen (hell, I had to read the wikipedia article after every episode just to make sure I had everything straight, thank god for whoever wrote those plot summaries), but then rewards them considerably.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

EvilMuppet posted:

Is it just the podcasts with animation?

Yes. There's no point in watching it if you've heard them all already (but anyone who hasn't heard the podcasts or seen the show, get on that. Sometimes I think Pilkington HAS to be putting it on, but I know deep down he's not and that's why it's so brilliant).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

I would say start with Rose. It's the first ep of the revival and you get one season of awesome followed by three seasons of hit-and-miss followed by two seasons of whatever-the-gently caress-is-going-on-now-oh-god-its-so-awful (bar the 2/3 great episodes per season)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Basically, MrGunner and Martytoof, opinions on current DW are so varied that you may as well start from the beginning and form your own opinions. I legitimately dislike the last two seasons, despite thinking the actual Doctor is better than the previous one, while respecting the previous showrunner for always trying something new and taking risks even if it didn't always pay off (and sometimes failed in kinda spectacular fashion). But there's plenty of people who will just tell you to start with the current Doctor. It's one of those shows where there's no real agreed-upon consensus.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Amy Poehler's character gets way better from season 2 onwards. Less stupid and awkward and more passionate and dedicated. Honestly the entire show massively kicks it up a notch and you should definitely keep going (not that you sound like you're going to stop or anything, which is good).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Bored to Death really gets going in about episode 6, when Danson and Galifianakis start to become part of the main plots. Seasons 2 and 3 are pretty much 100% excellent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

I just finished season 3 of Friday Night Lights

Just done the same thing. I have to say, I'm getting real tired of Grandma Saracen. She's just such a huge burden on Matt. The fact he's passing up a great opportunity to stay in Dillon with her is just...I understand it, of course, but it's super frustrating and annoying. Also god dammit I hate Joe McCoy. What a rat bastard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Adding support for Party Down, 30 Rock, and Happy Endings, and adding Archer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Season 1 suffered from the writer's strike - it was originally meant to be 9 episodes, I believe, and presumably not end in such an odd way. Also, while it's still great, the first season is definitely the weakest. It gets stronger every season, imo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Season 8 is possibly in my top 2/3 seasons of Scrubs. I think it's fantastic. Season 9 shouldn't have happened at all but it's still better than seasons 6/7.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Powered through both seasons of Boardwalk Empire over the past week or so. First season was drat good, albeit somewhat predictable when it came to the overall character arcs. Season 2, though, now THAT'S a season of television. Sometimes it gets a little obvious with the whole "look! this trivial line of dialogue has another meaning relating to the characters in some way!" thing, but it's drat well-shot and acted, the dialogue is tremendous, and it always pulls off the big scenes superbly. Also Michael Shannon is so good ungh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

After something like four years on and off, I'm into the final season of Seinfeld. Absolutely the best sitcom of all time. I was expecting a drop in quality after Larry David left but it's been just as good as before.

Once I'm finally done I'll get started with Curb. I've seen the first couple episodes before and not really liked it at all, to be honest, but the consensus seems to be that it gets a ton better and I love individual scenes I've seen on YouTube.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Tupping Liberty posted:

I know you asked for drama recommendations, but keep an eye out for Party Down on Hulu or Netflix. It goes off and on and currently it's off, but considering your other comedy choices I think you'd like it.

I think it's off for good now, because Starz want to launch their own service. I can't second this recommendation enough, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

The Newsroom can be a really enjoyable show and there are flashes of Sorkin brilliance but you have to suffer through a fair amount of poo poo to get there and for a lot of people it isn't worth it. I'll probably watch every episode but I'm a big fan of his style. Realistically it's for Sorkin fanboys only as a lot of it is his usual tropes turned up to 11.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

You should spoil that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Where have all these gigantic Hell on Wheels fans come from all of a sudden? I never saw anyone who liked it until about two weeks ago and now people are crawling out of the woodwork to praise it. I guess it found its audience on Netflix.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Misfits goes back to the season 1 more episodic style, so if you liked that you should have no problem with it outside of missing Nathan. I personally was very disappointed with how they seemingly pussied out of raising the stakes, but I really like Nathan's replacement.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Hahaha, yes that was great. I thought I had missed something upon that reveal.

Watched the whole show through recently too and this was definitely my favourite part of a distinctly average second season. Loved everything about the first, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Chuck Bartowski posted:

There's a reason people are campaigning for Benedict Cumberbatch to take over the role.

Because tumblr?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

The show looks good, but that caricature guy is so obviously aware that it's a comedy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, and it's still gonna be a full 24-episode season, I believe. It could work but I foresee a lot of "OH HEY HERE'S THIS STORY I NEVER TOLD YOU ABOUT"

HIMYM ain't what it used to be but at its worst it's only "fairly mediocre", although there is more and more of that as you go on. Plus any slip in quality would be drastically lessened when marathoning and especially if you don't care about the mother - I really don't understand how eight years in there are people who are only watching for that moment.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

If it helps, I think the end of 4 was as bad as it gets. Season 1 was a love to hate (but I think it's genuinely entertaining) whereas season 2 is more of a mixed bag. A fair few holes and a couple of cringeworthy scenes, but when it hits it really hits. I dunno I'm probably in the minority there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

4 is pretty wacky but they somehow still really nailed the humor; there are a lot of memorable moments and episodes. 5 is the first one that was a bit inconsistent, which got worse and worse with Seasons 6&7. Thank god 8 was such a return to form.

Yeah, this is an incredibly accurate summary of Scrubs IMO. When I rewatched the later seasons recently 6 was actually a fair bit better than I remember, although I still strongly dislike the musical and Kelso episodes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, the dream was at the end of the third episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

If the Friday Night Lights chicks were in Blue Mountain State, winner.
FNL is so drat boring. Came for the sports and girls, left because of the "drama".

you're not in the right place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

CaptainHollywood posted:

Finished Hello Ladies in less than 24 hours. Really good show with the perfect amount of cringe humour and heart. Felt like a spiritual successor to The Inbetweeners. While the show is really funny it got more sad than funny as it went on. And for those worried if it gets a second season or not to watch and start it- it ends satisfying enough where if there is no second season I would be content.

Does Merchant's character ever become more than a cliched selfish prick who would gently caress over his friends at a moment's notice? That was what really killed the show for me.

«6 »