Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Rapsey posted:

Yes you can, you just don't care enough to bother. Almost everything is applicable to a good degree in Europe/Australia (the crime stuff being the biggest difference). I'm not judging, but I understand. Practically everyone I know in my little country in Europe would not care as well.

Most people anywhere don't care "theres a thin line between heaven and here".

I've actually known people who wouldn't give The Wire a chance because it was a "Black Show". Not suggesting that anyone here is like that, but it does happen. I think it's not so much about racism and more about being afraid that they won;t be able to relate to the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Leviathan posted:

After the first few episodes, I'll admit I had to start watching it with subtitles.

I'm not a raceologist, but this does sound somewhat like racism.

I should rephrase then, it's not about malice then.

I was able to appreciate Season 2 alot more in the context of the entire show than I was when I was watching it for the first time. At the time I wanted to see more Barkesdale action, but the death of the American working class was a necessary piece of the whole picture.

I work in education, so Season 4 was particularly brutal to watch, it is my favorite season though.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

qbert posted:

From your own personal experiences, how accurate do you think Season 4 is in its portrayal of the public education system?

I can't say, public education in most states is funded by local property taxes, so a public school in beverly hills versus inner city Baltimore, or even Baltimore county and inner city Baltimore are going to look alot different.

I should clarify that my background in education is from teaching university level math classes as a graduate student. So I also try to do research and look up articles on k-12 education to get a better understanding of where our students are coming from when they enter as freshmen. My girlfriend also has a 6 year-old in kindergarten, and so I also pay attention to how he is being taught, particularly in math. But by no means am I any sort of expert in k-12 education, in fact I have no formal background and certainly none regarding socially and economically disadvantaged students.

But watching S4 did make me want to reach into the screen and kill people with my bare hands. Also: "invert the denominator" "why do we do that?" "bbecause it works, that's the formula" made me want to slap the poo poo out of Prez.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

qntm posted:

I just finished the first two seasons of Game of Thrones. I like the high production values and everything Peter Dinklage says, but the dragons born in the climactic final scene of the first season have now spent an entire season doing nothing, and winter still hasn't come. Maybe I'll check back in another two seasons' time.

Also, am I not paying enough attention, or is there only one actual throne?

If you didn't enjoy the war and politicking and scheming of the second season, then I doubt you will enjoy this series at all.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The Wire on the other hand.... It's so massive and multilayered with a lot of characters and their interactions being essential to the show. Season 3 especially plays on a lot of motivations created in the first season. Definitely rewatch the first two seasons. This is actually a plus because The Wire is a hell of a lot better the second time you watch it since you catch on quicker and see the show a lot deeper and more interconnected than an first viewing where you're just struggling for an "in" to the show--not knowing or remembering any of the faces.

Also, the second season of The Wire sets in motion some of the key plot points of Season 3 as well Stringer getting down with Prop Joe's connect, and the beginning of the rift between Stringer and Avon.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Greyish Orange posted:

I just finished season one of the Sopranos, and although I want to keep watching it, I'm not really sure why. I'm struggling to be at all sympathetic towards most of the characters, especially Tony, but I feel like I should stick with it because it's so highly regarded.

Is being sympathetic to the characters necessary for you to enjoy a show? If so, then The Soprano's might not do it for you.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Spoilers man!

I do kinda feel that Tony was pretty cruel and manipulative of Chris, in similar ways that Walt was cruel to Jesse. The difference is that Jesse is portrayed as a sorta dumb innocent that lost his way, and Chris, like all Sopranos characters, is treated with contempt by the writers.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

escape artist posted:

Go for Carnivale. You got monsters and serious drama!

and blueballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

There's 5 seasons of Mad Men as well.