Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I've always loved (and watched) seasons 1-4 of The West Wing but never watched seasons 5-7. I knew about Sorkin's departure and heard the show wasn't as good so I didn't want to ruin my "amazing" label of it. However, I just got through season 5 and, although it's no seasons 1-4, it's still great. I'm really looking forward to seasons 6-7 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Getting through The Shield right now. I absolutely loved seasons 1 and 2 but season 3 felt a little slow. I'm now starting on season 4 and am excited to see how the new captain works out.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
There's a lot of goon-love around Six Feet Under but the first couple of episodes completely bored me. Is the rest of the series pretty similar or does it change/get better?

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Leviathan posted:

Season 3 sucks. Season 4 is ridiculously overrated but John Lithgow plays the main villain and he has a ton of charisma. Season 5 is where we hit Heroes-level decline.

Season 4 might be ridiculously overrated because it's leagues better than Season 3 and 5. Plus, it's still Dexter.

I'm almost done with my long binge of The Shield and not sure how it will all end. I'm greatly looking forward to it, though.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just started It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Wire.

So far, they both live up the gigantic goon hype.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I actually had the opposite reaction to Breaking Bad: I was very turned off by the beginning of the pilot but stuck through it and was hooked by the next couple of episodes.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just caught up to real time with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and am now slowly working through The Wire. I just watched the "gently caress" scene and the show is good but it doesn't have the I-need-to-watch-the-next-one-right-now hook.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just started Spartacus: Blood and Sand and The Office (UK). One is poo poo and one is completely incomprehensible.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Gravy Jones posted:

I've never really been able to get into adult animated comedy, well except for Futurama I guess. All the stuff on Adult Swim and that kind of thing, I know some of it is supposed to be good, and I'll give them a chance, but they usually just don't do anything for me.

With Archer I was completely hooked a few minutes into the first epsiode I saw while channel surfing, and the binge happened soon after. Unfortunately it's a short one :(

If anyone hasn't bothered with this because they felt the same way I did about "late night adult animation" you might want to give it a go. For me it's quickly become one of those "perfect" comedies I can count on one hand that just never puts a foot wrong.

I feel the same way about comedies and Archer is on my list to start soon. What other comedies do you consider "perfect"?

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Brown Moses posted:

Spartacus has one of the biggest switches from poo poo to awesome you'll ever see. It really starts to pick up from episode 4, then it just gets better and better.

I'm glad I kept at it because you weren't lying. I just finished episode 4 and I'm hooked.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Holy poo poo, I kept at Spartacus and it's loving awesome. I just watched episode 10 "Party Favors" where Spartacus kills Varro. So good.

Please tell me Gods of the Arena is just as good.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just started Archer and Firefly. One is hilarious and the other is overhyped.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just finished Firefly. It was awesome and I wish it wasn't cancelled. I'm going to save the movie for next weekend.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just started Justified and it's great. I just finished episode 6 ("The Collection") and it's my favorite episode so far. Timothy Olyphant is awesome.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just finished the first season of Justified. I love this show. I'm really excited about season 2 as I hear it's even better.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Chamberk posted:

I just finished season 4 of West Wing...

You mean you just finished the West Wing series :colbert:

I just started From the Earth to the Moon. HBO makes the best miniseries.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just started binging through How I Met Your Mother -- watched the first 1.5 seasons over the weekend and I'm hooked. Season 2 is definitely an improvement over season 1.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just finished the first 5 seasons of How I Met Your Mother. I'm not sure why I previously avoided it but it's great. I'm looking forward to starting season 6 soon.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Going through Parks and Recreation. I'm at the beginning of the second season and it's pretty good so far. I initially turned it off after the first couple episodes but it quickly improves after that.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

ZombieSnot posted:

Just finished Arrested Development. It's kind of hard to believe all of the praise and acclaim it received when it was airing, even tho it was always on the verge of cancellation. However after seeing it, I can say it was totally justified.

Now watch it again and be even more amazed.

I'm almost done with the third season of The West Wing. This is my second watch-through and it's just as good as I remembered.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Demented Guy posted:

I love different as long as it's still good.

On the horizon for me:
The Shield
The Sopranos
Game of Thrones
Eastbound and Down
Six Feet Under
Rome
Deadwood

So many loving shows to watch. Don't know where to start.

I've seen The Shield and GoT but the rest is at the top of my list. After I finish my rewatch of West Wing (currently trudging through the crap called Season 5), I'm going to start on Rome.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just finished a rewatch of The West Wing and then started in on Sports Night. West Wing is phenomenal again on a second viewing and Sports Night is so far very good.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I just binged through The League over the last few days. It is amazing. My new favorite comedy currently on television.

Now I need something serious. I'm thinking about starting Rome.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Poopelyse posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I put them on my instant queue. I also started watching Louie because it popped up on Netflix. This show is seriously funny.

Keep watching The League in case you don't enjoy the first season. The second season is some of the funniest television I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just finished the first season of Misfits. Very good!