Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I did some digging and found the entire series of Daria on YouTube, and I recently finished binging through it. I vaguely remembered seeing the show when I was much younger, but I'm floored at how funny and insightful the show can be sometimes; not just with what Daria says or does, but with how she handles (or mishandles) different relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I recently finished Carnivāle. It's a shame this show couldn't get a full run. It had some of the most incredible production design I've ever seen in a TV series, and the show's mythology was really interesting. Nick Stahl's acting was off-and-on for me, but Clancy Brown and Toby Huss made the show something I couldn't pull away from. And the intro sequence!

I'm a few episodes in to Deadwood and I'm really enjoying it so far. Timothy Olyphant's acting seems a little wooden, but I expected that going in. Ian McShane is the show's biggest asset, of course. I'm dreading having the same sad feeling at the end of this series as I did for Carnivāle. Dammit, HBO, why can't you shell out the big bucks when it matters? :(

Another series I'm really enjoying is a collection of old episodes of Julia Child's The French Chef. She's really endearing - her heavy, enthusiastic breathlessness and her pitch-happy voice make the show a delight to watch. Most importantly, she's funny and she treats cooking like something anyone can do. I've learned a lot in just a few short episodes of the show.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Revisiting Batman: The Animated Series and it never ceases to amaze me how much they got pitch perfect on that show. While the animation is sometimes spotty, the writing, voice acting, music, art style all come together to form one of the best animated series ever made.

It also turned me toward Justice League for the first time. I generally don't care for DC (or superheroes in general) outside of Batman, but there were lots of great episodes and the character interactions are what make the show worth binging through (Flash :3: ).

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Carwash oval office posted:

The stingers they get at the end of each episode are so good, makes you feel like the stakes are going to be raised to a whole new level.

My favorite side character, besides the local who ends up on the new town council, is the old congressman who speaks out about the bioterror attack. His old man laugh is incredible.

I'm only four episodes in, and I'd been waiting for the other shoe to drop with the Rajneeshees. They'd performed this amazing transformation of barren ranchland into an impressive, nearly self-sustaining community. It finally happened when they brought in thousands of up-to-that-point homeless people ahead of the county council vote, drugged them without their knowledge to keep them docile, and promptly kicked them all out when it became clear they wouldn't be allowed to cast votes. It's hard to know how much of this process was put in motion by Bhagwan or done independently by Sheela, but it was the first clear moment to me when the Rajneeeshees went beyond reasonable self-preservation and into typical cult territory.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Binged both seasons of Patriot over the last week. Probably my favorite show since Rectify. Come to think of it, Patriot has the character depth and depressing gut-punches of Rectify with the farce of Burn After Reading. It's really unique and even though it won't get a third season I think it ended perfectly. It's interesting that Amazon Prime has a show like Patriot and then a straight-faced and (presumably) more propagandistic version of the same basic premise with Jack Ryan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

TV Zombie posted:

Finished Money Heist Part 2 and thought that this would have been a great finish to the series but then I saw that they have a part 3, which just seems unnecessary.

I thought exactly the same thing. Don't think I'm gonna watch season 3.