Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Thanks to the forums, I got into Breaking Bad last year, and I was blown away by the S4 finale. I don't understand how anyone couldn't be. It was some of the best television of all time.

Next up, thanks to the forums, are the following series I've never seen in the following order, unless I'm encouraged otherwise: The Walking Dead, The Wire, and eventually The Shield, The Sopranos, and BSG.

Or maybe I'll coast through The Venture Brothers again and absorb its brilliance yet another time. I can't believe SA isn't packed to the brim with Venture Brothers fans.

Also...

kgognaun posted:

Freaking Friday Night Lights. I've watched the series about a dozen times and I still love it. The rise and fall and rise and fall of Tim Riggins, my incredible man crush on Coach, Smash fighting for his career, etc. What an amazing show
Yes. All of these things. Also Vince Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

The Duke posted:

There was at one time a pretty big VB thread I think but it hasn't been on TV in quite awhile (the Shallow Gravy mini movie thing was what, a year ago?) so I don't think it's around anymore.

I really need to pick up the Blu-rays sometime :negative:
Yeah, but the point I want to make is that the mythology behind The Venture Brothers is far deeper and more intelligent than the mythology behind Lost -- that's not saying that Lost's mythology is weak, but VB is a perfect show.

Although that's probably more of a reflection of the freedom that Doc and Jackson get from Adult Swim, compared to the Lost creators' constraint by a huge network.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Believe it or not I have just started Breaking Bad. Now to watch it all before my Netflix expires in the next 20 days!
Whether you plan on it or not, you'll finish it well within twenty days. As the series goes on, pretty much every episode ends on a huge cliffhanger and you're gonna want to continue it.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
I'm thinking about starting Life on Mars as a quick one-off before The Wire. The discussion of it in this thread appears to be limited to:

1. Do the UK version, not the US version. The UK version is better.
2. It's really great.

In spite of my love for New York City, and complete lack of knowledge of pretty much anything related to England, I'm leaning toward the UK version. Would this be what others suggest I do?

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
I'm rewatching Breaking Bad before the new season starts up again, and it's much easier to appreciate the humor than it was the first time. It's a really funny show if you're not constantly on the very edge of your seat and, instead, just moderately on the edge.

Also, I'm checking out The Bridge after I finish rewatching all of Breaking Bad, because it seems pretty cool.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Exploder posted:

Do Lost, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad in that order. That way, when you are disappointed that you are finished with one awesome show, you have an even better show to watch next. But after all of that you will be depressed about having to wait another year until new Mad Men and Breaking Bad.
The point was made earlier that Mad Men is a show that works better watching one episode per day. You could do Mad Men and Breaking Bad at the same time, even. Two Breaking Bads and one Mad Men per day.

Or go Lost, Breaking Bad, Mad Men.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

pahuyuth posted:

Did you watch the UK version on a streaming service, and if so which one? I checked Hulu and Netflix but didn't see it listed on either.
It's streaming free on Amazon Prime.

I got a few episodes in and still couldn't tell characters apart. (I have a tough time telling white people apart sometimes, though.) Also, I didn't really care about the main guy. I think I'm in the minority on this.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Son, you haven't seen loving poo poo yet.
Yeah, if you like it already, you're going to adore the rest of the series thus far. I didn't love it until the season finale, and season two has been perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
I'm surprised you haven't seen House. It's medical, but probably the best medical procedural. Really funny, too.