Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since I loved The Wire so much I decided to take the plunge into The Shield. Over the past couple of weeks I've worked my way through the first two and a half seasons.

I'm not sure why though, but it's not quite as awesome as I thought it'd be. I am still liking it though, so maybe it's just me setting ridiculously high standards from The Wire. I'm finding it a little difficult to relate to some of the characters everyone seems to love so much. A lot of people say though that gets even better as the seasons proceed so I have plenty of faith that it will come around for me eventually.

King of Spit posted:

The Shield is my favorite show, and I'm trying to get in to The Wire, but it's just not working that great. I'm on the 5th episode, and it seems okay, but no hook.....is there a time the sjow just hooks you or is it a gradual watch 2 1/2 seasons before it comes kind of thing?
It may be different for other people, but I think it's a gradual process. The Wire is my favorite show of all time and there really was no HOLY poo poo! moment that cemented that. I didn't even realize it until the third season how much I loved it, and even then my favorite season was the second. It's a show that has its previous episodes and seasons feel even better because the entire story is continuous throughout the show. As you watch more, you'll be able to appreciate the stuff you had already seen. The Wire has incredibly high expectations of its viewers to be able to remember all of the hints and foreshadowing in previous episodes, so everything is constantly building on top of a previously established plot thread.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just finished season 5 of The Shield.

It got better...but...but... :smith:

I just don't know anymore.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Season 5 of The Shield is very, very good...but, I don't know, it's almost a bit too unsettling. The pacing, the writing, the acting, all of it is excellent. But I think the ending and overall theme just hit me a bit too hard. I needed a major break after that because I just felt so drained. I can barely bring myself to watch season 6.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MadManiac posted:

I am really really curious about The Wire. How much does a season usually cost?
On Deep Discount, the season sets are $49.94 except for season 5 which is $38.89.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zealous Abattoir posted:

A friend just lent me the first season of The Wire, and I have to say, I hate it so far, and I think you guys are a bunch of liars.
Well, what don't you like about it? What were you expecting? Most people tend to agree that the first few episodes are kind of slow. But, as the story is paced like a long novel, everything pans out in the end in such a way that going back to those very same episodes will be much more meaningful once you can pick up all the subtle clues and bits of foreshadowing. I understand that this style of storytelling is not going to be for everyone, though. There isn't going to be one scene, or one season, where everything "clicks." It's the steady progression from the first episode of season 1 all the way to the last episode of season 5 that makes people like it so much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know, I wasn't the biggest fan of the first season of HIMYM the first time I saw it. It wasn't until season 2 where I fell in love, what with episodes like "Slap Bet" and "Showdown." Now when I rewatch season 1 though I like it a lot, strangely enough.

It's the only laugh track sitcom I'd ever recommend, but I do so wholeheartedly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished going through Generation Kill this past week. That was some good poo poo. Ziggy's redemption!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The second season of The Wire is my favorite :colbert: Though season 4 is pretty close, too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dayewalker posted:

I just recently started watching BSG and managed to finish the first season over the course of the past week. I've been pleasantly surprised by how awesome it is because I'm generally not that big of a fan of sci-fi shows. I really like how there seems to be more of a focus on the human aspect of the show as opposed to having a bunch of goofy Muppet aliens running around.

I started season 2 last night and I'm already psyched for all things to come henceforth. Where does the BSG movie Razor fit into the whole scheme of things? Should I watch it after I finish everything else or at a particular point during the show's run?
Razor is mostly flashback stories, but you should watch it after season 3 and before season 4 (technically it counts as the first few episodes of season 4).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought the implication with modern laugh tracks is that they do have a generic "laugh" soundbite that they use, but they still use a live audience to determine when and where it would be used, or something.

HIMYM is really the only laugh track show that I think doesn't let the laugh track bog it down. I won't deny though that I think it'd be better without it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wasn't the biggest fan of season 6 of The Shield, but it wasn't because the quality had dropped or anything. It was just really hard to get over the trauma of the season 5 finale. I still haven't been able to muster up the energy to watch season 7 because part of me just doesn't want to see it all fall even further into hell.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

frumpsnake posted:

I got back into The Wire. I have 3 episodes to go, and I don't want it to end. :( Season Two was my favourite, I get the impression I'm in the minority here?
Season 2 is my favorite too. Everyone else has a kneejerk reaction to it I guess because the drug angle is less pronounced. Still, how many fictional TV shows have genuinely worked in the collapse of the American working class that well?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ComposerGuy posted:

3 days later and I'm in the middle of season 2. This only lasted 3 seasons?
It was planned from the get-go to last three seasons, one for each element Aang had to learn.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having seen it all, I think the season 2 finale of Veronica Mars works just fine as a series finale. I wouldn't bother with season 3 at all. Yeah I know there are some plot lines that needed some resolution, I don't care. It just wasn't worth it.

Great show though and definitely worth watching.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pillowpants posted:

Can anyone recommend some Half Hour comedies?

I've been binging through Yes Dear, Just Shoot Me, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Two and a Half Men via repeats this summer.

I've stopped recording ELR and King of Queen, because I can't really stand the main cast members (bitchy women and stupid guys), and Yes Dear only has a week left before its over.
How I Met Your Mother, of course.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

-Blackadder- posted:

Hmmm I guess I need to give this show another try. I watched the first episode but it just seemed like your run-of-the-mill kids cartoon. How many episodes does it take to get sucked into this show? And would you say it's more of a light episodic comedy or a serial drama?
The first half of the season is good, but it's somewhat episodic and there's one REALLY bad episode (The Great Divide). Episode 13, "The Blue Spirit", was the point in which I thought the show really hit its stride and I wanted to see it through to the end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ishamael posted:

The frustration was high, I grant you that. But that is part of the fun for me, too. Talking about it with people at work, discussing theories, counting down to the new season, etc. is all part of the experience for me.
It's the exact opposite for me. I started watching the show weekly during season 2, and the weekly wait, the theorizing, the blue balls, the gradual leakage and osmosis of spoilers from upcoming episodes, all of it just fed fuel to the fire that I felt about the show; namely, that it had no loving idea where it was going or wanted to go and was just making poo poo up as it went. Season 3 was the breaking point, where I got halfway and decided I would just marathon the rest after the season was over. That's why I waited until season 4 was out on DVD; so I could borrow it and watch it all at once.

I mean, what's the point in trying to drum up theories when literally anything, no matter how implausible, can happen? It's a completely futile exercise trying to predict anything. A good mystery story should be one in which the audience, with enough inspection, can arrive at a close answer to the truth before the detective delivers The Summation.

As a contrast, I loved watching Veronica Mars weekly. VM's big mystery, especially the one in season 1, was wonderfully crafted and made perfect sense. That was a lot of fun watching weekly, trying to pick out what details were important, etc.

But for Lost, I would definitely recommend waiting until a given season is finished before watching it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

You're watching it wrong.
That's actually what I was trying to get at, in a way. Since trying to predict and make theories about the plot are not worth the effort, then just bypass that whole step and watch it in season-sized batches. The weekly format is better for a show like Veronica Mars which of course prided itself on its detective fiction. With Lost, I think it does the show a disservice.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 10, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bonk posted:

Regardless, I don't get why people only seem to care about the mystery.
It's probably because the majority of the characters are simply not all that likable. As of the end of season 4 I've mostly stopped caring about the melodrama surrounding any character not named Desmond.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

sos posted:

I just watched the first season of The Wire in about 3 days and absolutely loved it. I've just started on season 2 though and it's not doing much for me. I'm 3 episodes in and the whole Polish infighting and corrupt union angle isn't really doing much for me. Does it get better as the season goes on? Was season 1 the high water mark for this show?
I think most people wouldn't agree. Most tend to like seasons 3 and 4 the most, if anything.

For whatever reason most people don't care for season 2 as much the first time through, but if/when they go back to rewatch later they find they like just as much, if not more, than the rest. I can tell you that it's my personal favorite.

You have to understand, The Wire is not a police procedural, nor is it about the war on drugs. It's bigger than that. The second season is where David Simon really starts to hit home what the series is really about; the institutions we assign ourselves to, and how they ultimately fail us. The first season was the war on drugs, and the second season is the collapse of the working class. It all fits together when you understand how these various places and concepts are failing these people.

Also don't try to look at the story arcs in each season as isolated. EVERYTHING flows and fits together. There's poo poo being set up virtually every single episode that may not be touched upon until the final season. "All the pieces matter", after all.

Really, though, the way the second season develops is really gut wrenching. Outside of maybe season 4 it has probably my favorite finale and payoff of a given season in the show. I can't imagine you'll end the season feeling the way you do now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jedi posted:

As an aside, I hated AD and really don't understand why all of you love it so much. Usually, I can see why people like a show even if I don't (case in point - the US Office),but I watched the entire first season of AD and didn't enjoy it in the slightest. I kept waiting for it to get good and then just gave up.
HIMYM aside, what other comedies do you like? AD is in a way liked so much because it's completely different other sitcoms and very much breaks the mold. No laugh track, a writing staff that is completely self-aware, loads of referential humor, and an ability to build up jokes up episodes before they happen (seriously probably the the best humor-based continuity you'll ever find)...that type of "smart" humor is the kind goons would just dig the hell out of it. It's not that hard to imagine, is it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When it comes to laugh tracks, I think HIMYM is the only show that seems like it's impervious to its problems. It will probably stand the test of time. The only other show I think I'd include in this conversation as well is Seinfeld. I've read plenty of threads, some even here, about why the laugh track is necessary, but every single time I hear it in any other show I'm immediately pulled out of it and don't like it. A lot of sitcoms I used to love when I was younger aren't nearly as enjoyable now as a result.

I don't know what is the biggest influence or reason for it (US Office, 30 Rock?) but whatever started the trend for some sitcoms to abandon the laugh track was probably the best thing to ever happen for me, television-wise. AD was actually one of the shows, along with Firefly, that got me back into television.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It sounds strange but Ziggy became retroactively OK in my book after Generation Kill. Mostly because Ray is basically Ziggy except actually good at his job / not a gently caress up. I hated the character during The Wire, but now his arc seems really fascinating/tragic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HeebHustler posted:

Binged through about 3 seasons of It's Almost Sunny in Philadelphia.

Hilarious, hilarious, hilarious. Charlie is probably one of my favorite characters ever in a comedy sitcom.
Always Sunny

But glad you like it. Catch up soon so you can watch the new season live.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SaviourX posted:

I do not understand this show on a fundamental level.
Well...can't you see how retarded awesome it is?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Jedi, while I am 100% in agreement with you regarding the quality of The Wire, it's inevitable that other people are not going to necessarily going to have the exact same view if/when they come away from watching it. Sometimes, "just because."

That said, I don't see anything wrong with the superlative amounts of hyping. It's not a type of a show in my opinion that one would have their enjoyment of it diminished because of hyperbolic praise.

dirigible stew posted:

The show peaked with 4 and then had an abysmal season right after it. gently caress you Simon we get it, newspapers are dying. Can't wait till Treme just happens to show some random journalist die as a 'metaphor' :rolleyes:
"Abyssmal" is pretty drat harsh. I'd still pick Season 5 of The Wire over any season of The Shield.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 1, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd just watch them in the order they were released.

Miniseries
Season 1
Season 2.0
Season 2.5
Season 3
Razor
Season 4.0
Season 4.5
The Plan

Razor is technically considered part of the first couple of episodes of season 4, even though chronologically it fits in during Season 2. The Plan is a prequel to everything, but it most certainly would probably not be a good idea to watch it first (Assuming this, since I'm still waiting to get my The Plan DVD).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 3, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Webisodes. Doesn't neither Season 4 Box Set have "Face of the Enemy" though?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Is the ending really that bad or is there something dumb in the credits? I'll come back when I'm done, I guess - I have somehow still not been spoiled on anything past season 3, so
The ending is fine, goons just take poo poo too seriously sometimes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

coolhandsarrah posted:

Goons, tell me what to watch next.
Here's a list of contenders:
Mad Men
Dexter
Carnivale
Rome
Generation: Kill
BSG

Can you tell I don't get HBO?
Without knowing what kind of show you're looking for I'm going to go with Generation Kill and/or Rome because they're shorter (but better IMO) than the rest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

IUG posted:

I just powered through Scrubs season 5. Now I would ask this in the Scrubs thread, but the show is at Season 9, and I don't want to read any spoilers. But I hear the show is also best avoided at some point. I'm just wondering where the shark jumped. That is, how many season should I get the box sets for? I read that in Season 9 there's practically no one left from the cast for main characters, but I'm sure it shits the bed sometime before that.
Seasons 6 and 7 are generally regarded as the weakest in the show, where the stories and characters became so wacky that they were no longer relatable or funny. What was once great non sequitur humor in the form of JD's fantasies in the early seasons was now happening in the actual show. You could honestly get away with just reading episode descriptions of these episodes to figure out the major events of these seasons. Or you could watch them; they're honestly not AWFUL, but you could tell that the show had long since gone past its best days and needed a graceful end.

Which, luckily, happened in the form of season 8. The move to abc did wonders, and everything was toned down to the way it used to be for the most part and it concluded the main story with dignity. I'd easily rank it up there with season 1-4.

Then AfterSCRUBS (season 9) happened, which is just an awful waste of time and makes seasons 6-7 look good. The new characters are awful and things are back to the overly-wackiness found in seasons 6-7. I hope it gets canceled and can be forgotten about. The show had its true end in season 8.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I credit Firefly (and Arrested Development) for finally getting me back onboard with American TV. I loved every bit of it, though will admit some episodes are better than others. It's just that those good episodes are fan-loving-tastic.

It definitely deserved much better than what Fox gave it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, the BSG miniseries does kind of have an act break 90 minutes in (because it was originally two episodes I think). I mean, you watch movies don't you? Just set aside an afternoon to watch it, or watch it in chunks. Three train trips and you'd be done.

Regardless BSG is pretty much the definite one you should watch given your criteria.

E: Well, for sci-fi at least! You should definitely also watch Arrested Development and It's Always Sunny.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dassiell posted:

That happened to me but later on in the series.
Strangely enough, same thing for me. I was ambivalent towards the show in the first 2 or so seasons, loved season 4, was emotionally gutted by season 5 (in a good way I guess), but somewhere along the line in season 6 I just sort of wanted to throw up my hands and skip to the end. I wound up reading a summary of season 7 and just don't feel compelled to watch it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SharkMaster posted:

What's the general opinion on Generation Kill?
Absolutely amazing. Its only real apt comparison/competition is Band of Brothers, both being war miniseries. But GK deals with a fairly different subject matter and is fairly different in tone, so people mostly like it for a different reason(s) than BoB. For one thing, it absolutely nails marine life and culture. While I love BoB dearly, it is very easy to see after GK how much of it feels like a drama that still glorifies war and its participants on a certain level. GK goes out of its way for example to show that while these guys may have each others' backs, ultimately it is unlikely they'd actually be friends in civilian life. To me, it feels a lot more realistic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Vizrt posted:

As for The Office, I absolutely loved it and was sad when I caught up and there were no more episodes left. I think my favorite character interactions were between Jim and Dwight. I haven't seen the British version, is it worth a viewing even after completing the American version?
I still prefer the British version myself. It's a lot more...subtle? Understated? It also did the 'documentary' angle a lot better, mostly because it's a lot shorter I guess and thus never got a chance to get phased out like it kind of was in the US version.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm almost done with season 5 of Lost. It's a very real concern that I'll have the series finale spoiled for me while I wait, but I just can't stand watching that show weekly and thus wait for a friend to buy the DVDs.

As for the quality of the season....eeeeegh I dunno. It's a step up from the all-time low from the start of season 3, but I'm just not nearly as interested as I was with season 4.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
4 episodes left of Lost S5. In the entire history of the show, has there ever been a good Kate episode? Because the latest one was pretty insufferable (in other words, business as usual).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CPFortest posted:

Whatever Happened, Happened was okay
That is actually the one I was referring to; I thought it was the lowpoint of the season to be honest :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Lost season 5 was...well I wouldn't say disappointing, but after such a great fourth season I definitely feel a little let down. They dicked around way too much. Even the finale was kind of anti-climatic until the very last scene (which was delicious).