Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

We finally finished up Deadwood this weekend and now I'm depressed that there's no more. *sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

To ease the post-Deadwood blues we ordered the series set of The Wire. Normally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on something I've never seen, but everybody seems to universally praise it.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

I've been going back through Deadwood and I had almost forgotten how brilliant the dialogue in this show is.

Indeed. You get used to it, then everything else sounds so dull.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I wonder why I havent heard more about Yellowstone? I just finished ep 3 and its like a mafia show but the mob boss is a cowboy lord in Montana. Ive found it quite compelling, kinda over the top at times like one character has killed someone each episode so far but drat this is a fun show?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Google Butt posted:

ive never rewatched a tv series

Yeah I'd almost agree but I rewatched all of Justified during the first part of the pandemic and it was great.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Almost done with Search Party. What a weird loving show. Entertaining though.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Pajser posted:

i started this one recently. I made it to the third episode and now I want everyone to die. Is this intentional? Does it get better?

The characters remain awful, but they grow on you. Every season switches gears into weird new territory.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Some goons had mentioned Banshee in one of these threads somewhere, I'm now on the final season. Show is ridiculous and over the top, but entertaining.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mental Hospitality posted:

Had no idea there was a new season of Bosch, but they named it Bosch: Legacy and put it on one of those ad supported streaming channels. I'm just getting started but it is a welcome and comfortable return to characters I thought I was finished watching on TV.

Yeah, absolutely, this FreeVee thing is weird and dumb, but man it has been very much a satisfying comfort to watch more Bosch. One more episode to go for me.

On Reacher, yes I enjoyed the show for sure and looking forward to more.

Finished Banshee and as ridiculous as that last minute Satanist Killer plot was, the show actually resolved in a solid fashion that made sense, and I have to say how everything wrapped up really worked for me, like dang, this dumb sex violence show actually hit me, nice wrapup and I'm glad they sidelined Asthma Kid.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Four episodes into The Bear on Hulu and this show is so good.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The birthday party. Holy poo poo. I thought it was going to go another way, but Oliver Platt's reaction was loving hilarious.

Oh man this episode had some great moments. "so, are they dead?" LOL

Finished up the season, what a welcome surprise this show is.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Lifroc posted:

That was my problem with For All Mankind. From what I've seen in a few episodes before dropping it, it felt like family and inter-personal drama with a little bit of space race in between. I've heard it's turned out good, but I hate when scifi is just something that's sprinkled on top of another genre.

Yeah, I'd heard good things about this show but couldn't make it through the first season. At the point I was fast forwarding entire scenes I had to admit the show just wasn't for me. Found it painfully dull.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I've been meaning to binge Castle for years now and I'm glad I started.

Man I remember enjoying the first few seasons, then my life got upended by a move and it got lost in the shuffle and I never went back. Is it streaming somewhere these days?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Has anyone recently re watched Justified recently? How does it hold up?

Did a complete rewatch in 2020 and it holds up great. Such a fun show.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

ShowTime posted:

it's absurdity hit a spot for me I guess

Absolutely. I binged the series over the weekend and found it entertaining and weird. Not a show I'd recommend to everyone but it worked for me.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Maybe I missed it....but as far as I know.....it was never explained why dude had a skeleton made out of gold. Kind of seemed like a bit of a gimmick plot point.

Yeah I wonder if we'll see a second season delve more into this. Like, he was obviously created by these doctors, but under whose instruction? Was he like a spirit that needed a body? Was he like a product that became sentient (hence the name he gave himself)? Clearly he's a devil-like figure but how literal do they intend that to be.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 1, 2023

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Meatgrinder posted:

Or perhaps Poppy Li rubs me the wrong way as a live action version of a cartoon character.

Yeah. I'm almost done with the third season and each episode I question why I continue to watch. The characters are all one note and frankly pretty annoying aside from Danny Pudi's Brad.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I'll be the minority report and say I really enjoyed Shrinking, one of the better things I've watched this year.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I've been enjoying Fringe, it's a fun show especially because of John Noble's performance as Walter. I've also enjoyed seeing who the next random guest star will be, so far Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Jared Harris, a pre-duchess Meghan Markle, and in the episode I just watched last night our favorite Ginger Jedi young Cameron Monaghan.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Ishamael posted:

I have been watching Mrs. Davis and have a couple episodes left. I can't decide if it is smart and clever or dumb and random

After 3 episodes I settled on dumb and random and dropped it, but ymmv, I know there were several folks in the dedicated thread that really liked it.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Just got through the first season and on to the second of Hulu's This Fool. If you're in the mood for a half hour comedy you could do a lot worse.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

I got the 6 season DVD box set of Northern Exposure.

Nice. I'm still hoping someday they can get the musical rights sorted and bring this to a streaming platform.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Reacher season 2 is ok so far but not nearly as fun or interesting as the first season.

At this point I think it's a pretty major step down from the first season. For one it doesn't play to the strength of the character. Reacher is best when he just blows into town on a whim and gets involved with some poo poo just because he feels like it that day, working mostly solo with some light backup from the local cop/hot lady. He's just not great as part of an ensemble, and the Very Personal Vendetta also just doesn't work as well. The tone is just weird, you'll have these scenes where Reacher just stares into the distance and looks like he's on the verge of tears thinking about Dead Buddy, then his teammates will be quipping jokes moments later like it's just another day on the job. The fights/action scenes all feel pretty phoned in so far too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Buttchocks posted:

Delicious in Dungeon on Netflix. Dungeon crawler where they cook what they kill. Very entertaining. The characters are just goofy enough to be fun but not annoying.

Yeah, it's good silly fun.