Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alright guys, I need someone to suggest me a new series to binge through.

So far I've watched and greatly enjoyed these series:

Dexter
True Blood
Mad Men
Battlestar Galactica
The Wire
Sopranos
Heroes
Burn Notice
Breaking Bad
Carnivale
Weeds

I'm not looking for any straight comedy stuff right now, just some sort of serial I can watch episodes back to back and really get into.

Thanks.

edit: What about The Shield? Is it actually interesting and makes you want to see the next episode after you finish one?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Can someone recommend me stuff? I'm going to list everything I can think of off the top of my head and mention how much I liked it. I'm not going to include comedies/30 minute shows, looking for 1 hour serial drama types.

Dexter- Love it
Lost- Pretty good
Fringe- Love it
The Wire- Love it
Carnivale- Love it
Heroes- Tolerable
The Shield- Love it
Sopranos- Love it
Six Feet Under- Love it
True Blood- Love it
Sons of Anarchy- Love it
BSG- Love it
Burn Notice- Loved it at first, got old
Prison Break- Loved it at first, got old
Firefly- Have it but haven't watched it yet, I guess I'm "saving" it
Misfits- Love it
Skins(uk)- Love it
edit: forgot some.
Breaking Bad- Love it
Mad Men- Just liked it

That's all I can think of now but I know there is a few more series I've seen but forgot. I'm not super picky on genre I can enjoy anything if it's interesting. Although something with a mystical/supernatural/sci-fi/something that doesn't happen IRL would be nice.

I've heard Spartacus is good in that trashy enjoyable way True Blood is, what about that?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 11, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
How convenient I actually already have the first season of Justified I completely forgot about. I always liked the commercials on FX. The main guy seems like an interesting character.

About Deadwood though, isn't it like Carnivale in that it got canceled or does it wrap up well enough not to blueball?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I actually really tried but couldn't get into Rome. I guess there is something wrong with me.

And is Veronica Mars really that good?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Thanks guys, definitely going to watch VM, Deadwood and Justified now.

Someone just mentioned Game of Thrones, is it any good?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Yeet posted:

Almost done with Trailer Park Boys. The humor isn't for everyone but I am thoroughly enjoying this show.

I don't think it exactly takes rocket appliances to understand it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
The only thing I hated about Firefly is how short the one and only season is. Also expected the whole reaver arc to flesh out more and that blue-balled me a bit as well. FOX has definitely been a turd in the punchbowl.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm obviously very liberal on my stance with drugs and Breaking Bad is one of my favorite shows. It's less about "How bad drugs are" and more "Look at this guy get involved in crazy poo poo in the high level drug trafficking underworld because of the types of people he chooses to associate with" If anything, anyone with any sense would see the damage prohibition causes from the black market it creates. Also the more you get into the show the less it's about "meth" and it's more character driven. Don't want to turn this into a legalization derail or anything but regardless of your stance it's still a very enjoyable show. Give it a try.

edit: In fact, the show is mostly about Walter and his descent into immorality. He doesn't do meth one time. If it's knocking anything, like I and others have said, it's about the heinous poo poo that goes on in the high level trafficking world more than about drugs specifically.

A goood analogy would be that The Shield isn't about how terrible cops all are, it's about Vic Mackey and his team.

edit2: The crazy terrible poo poo Walter does isn't because of drugs, he's just an rear end in a top hat(like the guy below me says) at a breaking point in his life because people had walked all over him until then. The meth manafacturing is a side effect of that, not the other way around.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 12, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've got a problem. I think I've already seen the majority of shows people talk about on here, at least types that have ongoing serialized story arcs. I'm not picky on genre at all, I just enjoy a show I can watch/binge whatever with an involving story.

I'm not going to bother trying to list everyone, but I haven't seen Damages yet and I think I remember hearing good things. Is it a decent show? Serialized story arcs?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I'm about to start Leverage. Are they any ongoing story arcs at all through the show or is it completely episodic?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I need a good serialized drama/whatever type show. My only requirement is the plot needs to be interesting, enough to be bingeworthy I guess. I've pretty much seen most popular shows. Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Shield, Sopranos, Misfits, BSG, Lost, Prison break, etc. It would probably be better if I just listed a few I haven't seen and you guys can tell me if it's worth starting.

I've seen Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes get a lot of praise. Are they a serialized type of show? Also in which order should I watch?

I've seen talk of Revenge, but don't really know much about it. I also liked Firefly, but still haven't seen Buffy or Angel, I'm not sure if I'll like those but I imagine I should try them seeing as how it's enough to last me quite a while with all their seasons. I always had the impression they were really....gaudy? cheap? Not that I mind campy stuff like True Blood, I suppose I just caught glimpses before on the CW the past few years and it seemed ridiculous at the time. I guess if they have solid plots and capture interest well I'd like them.

Any advice?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes is awesome and has to be watched in that order. It does have serialized.

Thanks! I just love my shows that have serialized. I will report back after I watch a few episodes.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Seen Nikita and Homeland, although none of S2 of homeland yet. Both are great shows.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think the fact he's watching it while comparing it to the Shield to be what's messing him up. It never was any kind of action show.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah me too, its been so long I have no idea what scene you are talking about in Deadwood with Cy. Will someone spoil it for me?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah seriously, don't skip Justified. Near the end of Season 1, it gets good, then after that it's almost a completely serialized story with great characters as well. I'm keeping up with most every popular drama currently on, and Justified is definitely in my top 3 or so for sure.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Obese Janissary posted:

I'm not really usually into TV shows, and often get side tracked watching ones recommended to me. Due to work I've had to fly out to Washington state. I start work at 7am and am off at 1pm, don't have a vehicle and can't stand the cold. Sooooo, lots of TV catch up time:

So far I binged the last season of Dexter, the last season of Breaking Bad, then I caught up with The Walking Dead. Those had been the only shows I was following, so now I am tearing through American Horror Story (which I LOVE and wish I had gotten into sooner), and am currently at a loss for what's next.

I gave up on Lost, True Blood, and Heroes a long time ago.

I do have some of the Game of Thrones, but am not really into it, and only watch an episode here and there in between other stuff.
Justified Trust me on this. The first season is more episodic, but still not bad. At the end of it, and from season 2 on it gets serialized and extremely good.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

richardfun posted:

Oh man, to watch The Shield for the first time...I envy you.

Yeah, and the ending is one of the best series endings I've seen along with Six Feet Under albeit in different ways. Where SFU is poignant, The Shield is....uh..intense.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is Longmire any good? I'm thinking of binging it. I was enjoying Narcos, but I'm almost to the end of season 1 and I'm just sick of the vibe it puts off. I would ask for suggestions but I've seen so many shows at this point I don't even think I could begin to list what I've seen and enjoyed, at least right now. Basically any suggestions that aren't already well known would be a good start I guess.

e: what about The Returned? I've seen some people in this thread say good, some say bad so I dunno. I'm not too picky as long as it's passably interesting. I watched the first episode a while back and remember the premise piqued my curiosity. FWIW I liked 4400

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 30, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I just noticed netflix had both. I'll watch the french one then, I don't mind subtitles. Also it has 2 seasons so that's a plus. I tried longmire, it was okay but I'd prefer something more serialized.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I really like what people have to say about Person of Interest's serialized plot. I watched...I can't remember, let's say the first 10 episodes. I like the characters but I can't stand procedural stuff for some reason. A little bit is fine as long as there is an ongoing story there. I really don't have the time to binge like 21 episodes or whatever the first season is. Since I already understand the concept of the show, could I just watch the finale of season 1, or are there a few must see episodes in there somewhere? Perhaps a season 1 recap I could read. That said, do the serial elements immediately pick up in season 2?

edit: I've just finished Westworld and thought it was great. Also saw the last Walking Dead which I feel is a garbage show that likes to pick up every once in a while just to get garbage again, so that left a bitter taste in my mouth. Are there any other shows people would recommend? I'll just list shows I've enjoyed that I can remember. The Wire, Westworld, Lost, Fringe, Justified, The Shield, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Dexter(early seasons but I thought the last ones were still watchable at least) Gotham,6 Feet Under, Deadwood, 4400,Sens8, BSG, really any of the really popular stuff I've probably already seen which is why I'm getting desperate here.

Maybe I should list what I'm considering watching instead. PoI obviously, iZombie, Marco Polo, Picking Supernatural season 9 back up(I enjoyed the earlier seasons) The Returned season 2(a good show but it puts of a vibe that's pretty depressing and I usually enjoy dark stuff too), I've tried to watch Babylon 5 but it's "cheapness" makes it hard to get into.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 13, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Seen both, loved both.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yep, Sopranos and Justified were both good. Although Sopranos is due for a rewatch soon, it's been years since I've seen it.

I just started watching iZombie. From what I read it's a mix of procedural and serial and people seem to like it. The first episode was decent, and I read it takes a couple to really get going. However it seems like Netflix is having some issues so that got put on hold.

Also I only watched some of season 1 of AHS. It was okay I guess. I started watching the season with the circus and wound up stopping, I don't remember why. Not really my cup of tea from what I saw, but I don't remember hating it either.

e: I watched an episode of Longmire. It was okay, I like Katie Sackhoff, but I read Longmire is pretty light on the serialization.

What about The Flash? I'm weird about superhero stuff. I liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I didn't like arrow because the idea of a guy using high tech gizmos with a bow and arrow is dumb to me for some reason, although I enjoyed DD and JJ. It's weird and I can't explain it. I guess as long as it's not too silly and has a good story then I'm cool with it.

e2: I was never really a big anime guy(I liked Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo) but I'm also considering Legend of Galactic Heroes. I love some space opera, BSG is one of my all time favorites. I think I watched 9 or 10 episodes of LOGH back in the day and some outside influence interrupted it.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 13, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

eppu posted:

Spartacus?

Yeah it was good. Netflix seems to be working on my pc now. I kind of want to also watch The Originals. I really dug Vampire Diaries back in the day, quit watching around season 5. I really liked Klaus, and a little bit of googling shows most people think The Originals is the better show anyway so I may watch the first episode of that and then decide between iZombie or that for now

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

pigdog posted:

Gomorra(h), the TV series. I think it's on Sundance TV in the US, the Blurays are available, and it's really good. Basically The Wire crossed with Goodfellas or Godfather. Really high production values, lots of stuff happening. If it was an HBO show instead of Italian, then it would be hailed as the best of the year.

Don't worry if you've read the book or seen the movie, the TV series is a new and unrelated story.

Ah, I forgot about that. I loved The Wire and liked Sopranos. This show should be right up my ally. Finding it was a little bit of a PITA though.

One question - is it hard to follow? I know The Wire was, but only for the fact it took a while to really understand all the characters and what was going on. Once it clicked, it wasn't tough at all. I'm afraid this might be the same, but worse since I'll be reading subtitles, although I generally do good with shows with english subs. I just haven't really watched one that on the level of The Wire.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Does Gomorrah get better after the first episode? I liked it fine, but honestly it hasn't really grabbed me the way The Wire and a few of my other favorite shows have. And I always see people saying it's on par with The Wire, or at least close to it. I'm guessing it just takes a bit to get going? A lot of the characters I was introduced too wound up getting killed off at the end.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

It does, keep going

Yeah, I just started up 2. Does this show follow anything from the cop's perspective as well, like The Wire? So far I'm enjoying the antics of the gently caress up son. I just got to the part where his father decided They had to kill the guy whose property the son defaced. I was expecting Peitro to be more angry with his son.

e: haha he made him drink his piss. Not sure if that's how I'd go about inspiring loyalty. In fact I'm a little suspicious Ciro may be the rat, because he seemed pissed at his father figure getting killed in the first episode

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 21, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Cactus posted:

Put The Expanse on that list, if you're finding babylon 5 too dated and still want something to fill the hole it was supposed to fill. It's Game of Thrones set in the solar system a few hundred years from now.

It's mostly "hard" Sci-fi so there's no ftl or laser blasters or artificial gravity or magic inertia cancelling or anything like that, although there is a central mystery that I won't spoil which some viewers (myself not being one of them) found to be a bit dissapointing. I dont think disliking that would detract from the rest of what makes it so good, though, which is that it's a character driven political thriller with cool, mostly scientifically accurate action set pieces and a heavy dosage of noir styling on the side.

Season 2 starts in a month or two and I would recommend waiting to binge them both because, like Game of Thrones, the first season contains a lot of setting up the pieces and ends shortly after things begin to kick up a couple of notches.

Seen it, liked it. I've read the first two books. Need to read the others but here lately I've been working a ton and since I normally read before bed, I find myself falling asleep really quickly so I don't make as much progress. I've been reading the first two hyperion books and it's taken me like 2 months to get halfway through the second one.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I got an email earlier saying Netflix put up The Magicians. Decent? I enjoyed the first book although it was a long time ago. I don't I bothered much after that, I want to say the fantasy land part put me off but as I said, a long time ago, who knows. Still juggling other shows. Not really sure if I like iZombie. It's made okay, and I see how it can be enjoyable, just not in the mood for that sort of thing I guess. On maybe episode 3 or so of Gamorra, it's good but I feel like it's a show you can get too much of at once, however it probably needs more time to get even better from what I've read about it. Probably about to binge through some of it anyway in a minute, but that Magicians thing piqued my interest.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've thought about watching that. I haven't read the books and not sure if I intend to or not, but I do enjoy some trashy rear end genre fiction sometimes. Is 1 season all there is or going to be? IIRC it's been on netflix forever with just that 1

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Sneaky Pete actually is really dang good, guys. at first I thought it would be boring, while a ton of people loved the first episode, I just thought it was merely okay. Let me just say this- Bryan Cranston is a bad guy in this show.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Started up Travelers which seems pretty cool so far.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm glad I gave Peaky Blinders another shot. I felt a bit bored with the first episode, but then the rest of the season got better and better. Just started the second, hopefully it keeps form. I've been getting a little bored with TV lately.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is imposters like a serialized story sort of show? For some reason that's the one thing that's always a requirement for me otherwise I tend to get bored of shows.

Up to the last episode of Hap and Leonard which is a pretty cool show. The villians in the story felt a bit much so far but they are still a fun watch. Omar from The Wire is one of the main protagonists, always a delight seeing him on screen

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
we get it, you are a cool pirate guy who watches anything he wants, not like the netflix peasants. Honestly, even pirating is meh because some of us have a job and just want to click "play the show where I left off" I quit watching Gamorrah because I got tired of pirating it and remembering where I left off, etc. I was really happy to see it added to Netflix the other day, will definitely be finishing it now.

Just started the first episode of Imposters and almost done with it. I'd say just decent so far, but a lot of shows take a few episodes to hit their stride.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Binged through most of S1 of American Crime last night. I think I'm 2 or 3 episodes from the finale. It's good but really depressing. Does anyone else get Requiem for a Dream vibes off of it? I may need something slightly less depressing to watch, but I can't make up my mind. I'll post some shows I'm considering or 1 or 2 episodes into and you guys tell me what is best.

The Missing - I dig the UK crime/mystery shows, and I read on reddit it was good, but really haven't heard much talk of it at all.
Black Sails - enjoyed s1 a really long time ago, dunno why I quit
Into The Badlands
Bates Hotel
Rectify
e: American Crime Story, the one about OJ. I heard it was good too. Does it have anything to do with American Crime?

There might have been a couple of other prospects I was considering but my mind is blanking at the moment.

E Yeah Hap and Leonard is good. I will probably wait until S2 is done before I go through it, I enjoy binging.
vvvvv

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 19, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Heard good things, but I've not seen it. It's a seasonal anthology show, which I gather pissed off some people a bit when season 2 rolled around. Once people settled in though, I think the consensus was that the second season was just as good, though quite different.

I suspect it's because Season 1 doesn't actually end, it just stops. The first two seasons are really one larger season in terms of construction, and if you think of it like that, the show's actually pretty solid. I've really been enjoying the current, final season, which has had a sense of energy and immediacy that others have always lacked a bit in. I think some of the female characters can be a bit divisive, but I've always liked them. Really likes its monologues though.

Remains to be seen if this will improve, though I hold out hope. Great visuals and stunt work, brilliant fight choreography and a couple of really cool, iconic feeling performances let down by an awful lot of weird tat and a very short opening season that spends so much time justifying its setting with a lot of world building that it doesn't end up throwing out much in the way of good, immediate ideas. That, and it's a classic case of AMC not giving a show that needs a bigger budget enough of a budget to pull off the stuff it'd love to do as often as it would like. Still, there's at least two really good fights every episode, and some lush visuals. Nick Frost is joining the show this year as Pigsy (it's a Journey to the West adaptation), so that should be fun.

Camp, in a lovely tatty mid-century way. I think there's a rudimentary quality to the characterisations that harms the show, a quality that a lot of Carlton Cuse shows share, and there's a tendency to spool out earlier seasons on irrelevant drama because what the show's actually about needs more time to develop. The two leads are great, and it's a fairly interesting / rare case of a show raising its standards to meet the quality and tone of its central performances, rather than the other way around. When the writing catches up to the acting it's a great show, until then it's perfectly serviceable (barring some early stuff).

Brilliant.

It's campier than American Crime, and I didn't like it nearly as much -- but a lot of goons would either think the other way around, or not even know what American Crime was. It's actually pretty decent though, despite what I just said, but it's so much more interested in the media and Hollywood culture. It's very much about the story, rather than the crime, if you catch my drift.

Additionally, going off your tastes, I'd suggest checking out Manhattan, Underground, Outsiders, (The WGM Trinity of good shows no-one talks about), The Americans, and maybe Legion. They all seem like they'd be worth a shot at least.

Thanks for the effort post my man. I do watch The Americans, it's a great show. I'll put the other ones you mentioned in my list to check out.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
sense8 season 2 is up on netflix now. Someone make a thread!

E: there is a thread now

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 5, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've been alternating between Penny Dreadful and Wyonna Earp. I sort of lost interest in Leftovers S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

oschesar posted:

Just spent the past week watching Killjoys. Starts slow, but it ends up being good, fun sci-fi.

I was about to mention this. Is it serialized or purely episodic? I enjoy my ongoing stories. I'm weary of SyFy shows, I never really liked the older ones not counting BSG, but I did love The Expanse.