Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just binged through the entirety of Travelers in the past week and I really enjoyed it, surprisingly. It's kind of refreshing taking a break from super gritty and grim shows (although the alluded future in this show is definitely that) to something of a ...Canadian TV aesthetic of a show? Not really sure how to articulate that.

Sure, there were some dumb missions and time travel plot points and a couple of useless filler episodes. But generally it just feels nice to have characters that you actually like on a show. Seeing them all working together like the A-Team or some poo poo is weirdly satisfying. The main characters are just so drat likeable and even when they start to grate on you, they eventually tone it down to tolerable levels. Except for Grace, which in a way, is a credit to the actress I guess.

It all seemed to wrap up decently enough so I'm surprised there will be a Season 4. Hopefully they don't gently caress it up too badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Just binged through Broadchurch S1 and it was fantastic. Been putting it off for some time now. Just started Season 2 and I'm at the second episode (where a key piece of evidence has been thrown out) and uh, that poo poo is so loving stupid that I don't think I'll continue watching the series and just leave it at S1. Just wow.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Decided to check out Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. The first season or collection or whatever on Netflix... and I don't know. It seems like Seinfeld has no chemistry with any of his guests and even the Michael Richards episode was kind of a boring dud. Seinfeld humour also really, really doesn't work in the real life setting in the show. Plus Jerry is kind of a dick towards wait staff, I don't know. The whole thing is just awkward and boring at times.

I'll check out a couple more episodes I guess since it's a decent enough filler for when I don't want to commit to watching a full show.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 30, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Speaking of which, any good time travel shows on Netflix? (other than Dark and Travelers). I've been meaning to watch 12 Monkeys too on Amazon Prime Video, but I want to make use of my Netflix subscription.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Bosch - S5 - Still good!

Description: Cop noir. Written around season long arcs. Lots of good performances and LA is very prominent in visuals and feels. They're doing a great job of keeping hte quality up

Good to hear. I binged through all of the other seasons last year and definitely felt a drought for a genre I haven't cared for in years.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Me and the SO just casually put on Nightflyers as something to watch while eating. It took like 4 weeks to muster up the will to finish it (we figured we might as well finish it), but what a terrible show. Don't bother with it.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

misguided rage posted:

I hated every minute I don't know why I finished it.

Yeah, the opening sequence was intriguing enough. The path and what actually happened in getting there is loving terrible though.

The acting was actually pretty good for most of the show, but goddamn the writing was so goddamn loving terrible.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

lightly beaten posted:

I finally got around to binging Westworld S1 and I'll admit I'm a bit confused about what is going on. I hear that S2 is even more confusing so I'll probably pass for now.

Love Killing Eve tho.

I've only watched Season 1, but having Liam McPoyle as a main character always gets a chuckle out of me during his scenes. He does a pretty good job, but drat.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
On Episode 2 of Informer so far, and it's pretty drat good. They did a really good job of me caring about the protagonist/informer in the first episode alone, which seems pretty rare these days. Probably going to binge through it in the next day or so but I have a feeling things will turn pretty grim.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Designated Survivor is really really dumb. I had to power through the first season just because I felt I was past the point of no return. Definitely not going to bother with the other seasons lol.

I'm all for dumb poo poo (like that Habib Marwan season in 24), but given the premise, the episodes were pretty meh. I'm a huge fan of a huge portion of the cast though. (Kiefer, Maggie Q, Canto, KAL PENN) The premise and the cast definitely deserve better writing.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I feel like I have to learn to just stop watching a show when it doesn't click.

Just binged through the following:

The Fall (S1). First couple of episodes were definitely strong and made things interesting, but it kind of just peaked there. The rest of the plot, writing and performances were just pretty boring. I really couldn't give a gently caress about Gillian Anderson (no matter how badass they portray her) and the serial killer (who is just exceedingly boring)

Marcella (S1 and S2) - The premise was interesting enough for me to watch 2 full seasons on and off for the past couple of weeks. I don't know why I even bothered finishing this. Marcella is such an unlikeable and dumb loving character. The ending of S2 and the setup for S3 is also really, really loving stupid.

I'm going to try to power through The OA next since apparently Season 2 is a lot better and gets crazy, but the first couple of episodes feels really boring and mediocre so far. And this is coming from someone who actually enjoys watching Brit Marling's weird rear end movies.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
A page too late, but I loving love Patriot.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Not gonna lie, I'm just gonna watch it because it has Starbuck but it seems like nobody likes it. But it can't be worse than Nightflyers, right? Right??

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Nightflyers is straight trash, I hate myself for watching all of it

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I've only read the comics up to what I imagine would end up being episode 2 or 3, but from what I remember I'm liking the casting and changes they made in the TV show. I'll probably skip out on the rest of the comics and just watch the show so I don't spoil all the plot points.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Viewer reviews are pretty good, which is essentially IMDB reviews and the RT viewer reviews.

The critic reviews mostly complain about it being filled with too much stuff but being pretty middling? And for some reason a lot of complaints about it not being a GoT replacement? Weirdos.

I haven't watched it myself but will definitely give it a shot.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Just finished The Spy and it's pretty drat good. Sacha Baron Cohen put out a great performance. You'd think that there'd be moments where you'd bust out laughing at a serious scene because it reminds you of Borat, but that never really happened to me.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Martian Manfucker posted:

I just started some German show called Dark, finished the first episode, and I have no idea what is happening or who anyone is.

is there a spoiler-free cheat sheet of the family trees of this show because I can already tell I'm gonna need it, nevermind trying to figure out the mystery.

For this show, it'd be pretty hard to have a family tree and for it not to be spoiler-free. But a goon made one earlier in this thread. (I need it too, for S2)

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I checked out the Criminal series on Netflix and it's pretty decent. It's a series where they let the UK, France, Spain and Germany take a stab at the same "interrogate someone in a room" premise.

The first episode of the UK series is pretty wild since it's pretty much an all-star team of UK crime TV actors. The writing isn't the strongest, but a decent enough watch. I've only seen the UK and France ones and they're pretty good.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Totally echoing the Jack Ryan S2 riffing. It was kind of entertaining but holy poo poo what a terrible loving plot. Season 1 at least had some great character interaction. All the ones here just make no goddamn sense. Plus they did my boy Habib Marwan dirty by giving him such a minor role.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Just watched the first episode of Goliath S3 and holy loving poo poo, I might be in for a wild loving ride.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, I still remember the first time I checked out the Amazon Prime originals. I checked out Bosch, Goliath and Patriot. I was blown away by how good the shows were compared to the middling writing of Netflix originals at the time.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Lost gets a ton of poo poo and hate from almost everybody I talk to about it in real life and on the internet. I think SA is one of the only few places where it doesn't get too much hate. I get the hate, but it's still one of my favourite shows. At the very least it had characters you actually cared about as opposed to poo poo like Game of Thrones where I don't give a poo poo if they all died in a fire. (which judging from the reactions to the last season, is probably what happened? I didn't bother watching)

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Affi posted:

Honestly since I got amazon prime its just been so many good shows ive binged!

The Boys was great and fresh.
Patriot topped it in a whole different way. The darkness and humor. I loved it.
Fleabag is the funniest and best produced comedy show since probably evwr.
The expanse! So good to have it back!

Also now im watching miss maisel and its pretty drat good.

Definitely give Bosch and Goliath a watch as well. Sure, you'll think it's yet another gritty cop and lawyer show but they're really well done.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm at episode 3 of The Messiah right now and it's a decent enough watch. The plot is intriguing enough that I'll definitely finish it out. It's not really pulling me in enough for me to binge through it though. Good to know that it wraps up decently enough though, episode 3 wasn't too promising.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, about that...

I thought the exact thing as you re: the cancer angle. But we're both totally wrong regarding it. Ep 3 looked like it was going to veer into that, but it actually took a different turn.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

mystes posted:

I tried to watch it and I can't stand it. Stuff like CIA analyst immediately rejecting a candidate for saying that things are gray and telling him "no everything's black and white" in the first 30 seconds we see her when the show is obviously going to have an ambiguous ending. She also conveniently finds out that she has cancer right then, and I'm not sure exactly where they're going with that (either she will question her beliefs or the messiah dude will cure her) but I'm sure I'll hate whatever it is and it will be ridiculously lazy writing.

Re: The Messiah. Just finished it and I'm actually pleasantly surprised at it all. It's definitely the opposite of lazy writing even if it doesn't work all the time. Like it had its obvious TV evil tropes but they at least tried to make it go places. I can kind of see why critics panned it but I still enjoyed it.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 14, 2020

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
The UK one was pretty cool since they filled it with an all-star cast from all the UK cop shows and procedurals, but I think it's one of the weaker ones. France was definitely the most interesting and Spain was very ... Spain.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Thanks for whoever recommended zerozerozero. It was a slow burn, but overall a pretty good watch. Not too sold on the soundtrack, even though it's Mogwai.

This led me to start watching Gomorrah, and goddamn, that show really gives you The Wire vibes. I might not binge watch the rest of the seasons right now though, given it's a little depressing with the current poo poo going on and whatnot (even though it's unrelated).

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

CeeJee posted:

Bosch season six was a little less for me then the ones before. Too much time spent on petty office politics and a main case that felt off.

Yeah, same. I mean, if you write down the plot points for this season on paper, it'll seem to be some crazy poo poo going down. But overall, just pretty dull honestly.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Been watching through the first couple episodes of Into the Night. It's plot hole city, but oh man, it's fun. It has some Lost influences for sure but nothing beyond flashbacks really. I'm glad this is a Belgian Netflix series rather than a bullshit show that gets CW'd on The CW. Haven't finished it yet though so we'll see.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Cactus posted:

I'll watch it when I'm done with Utopia Falls...

Utopia Falls... ah, what to make of this??

I'm surprised this show even got mentioned in this thread. My SO's brother and a friend are both part of the main cast. I've tried watching it to give support, but it's pretty terrible so I stopped lol.

Anyway, I've started The Americans so far and it's really good. Really not sure why I didn't watch this until now but at least I'll have a lot more seasons to go through.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, The Wire is one of my favourite shows ever, my only complaints are a few things like the "serial killer" which felt like a really out of place plot point at the time.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Just got the Netflix notification that Marcella's new season is out. The previous season ended pretty terribly and was pretty bad overall. But I'm tempted to see how they write their way out of this one.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Started watching Undercover on Netflix. Seems to be a fun little undercover detective show from Belgium. The premise and plot is pretty drat simple so far but I'm enjoying it.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Just started watching 12 Monkeys and it's pretty great so far. I don't know what it is about these filmed in Canada time travel shows, but they always seem to have such likeable characters. A little weird watching it in the middle of a pandemic though, but I guess it adds to it.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

SimonChris posted:

I just binged through "Unbelievable" on Netflix and that was absolutely riveting. I haven't been so angry at tv show characters since "When They See Us". If you like to get really angry, just to feel something, anything, I heartily recommend it.

Was there no discussion of this when it came out? If only it had a more searchable title...

I remember just randomly clicking on this a couple of months ago and binged the whole thing. So good, and yes, also got angry at the characters.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Been binge watching Person of Interest and wow, I can't believe how this show spun out from a procedural to this multi layered and crazy plot. I'm really enjoying it and really liking the characters.

Although... I'm almost done season 3 for now and honestly, no matter how much the writers try. gently caress Root. I don't care how much people like Amy Acker. Every scene with Root just makes me want to skip ahead. Even after this redemption arc that she's going through in Season 3. I just plain do not like the character.

Sticking around for everyone else though. It's definitely been a wild ride so far.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

clown shoes posted:

The Mandalorian does feel like a video game, especially this season, and I think that's one of the reasons I can't get in to it. I haven't played video games since I was a kid. They're making a fan servicey show for the people who play all the games, and read all the EU books, and watch all the cartoons. I've just watched the movies so when they retcon things like Darth Maul is alive (at the end of Solo) I'm lost because I haven't watched six seasons of a children's cartoon. That's fine for fans of all that stuff but they are leaving behind casual fans that only really follow the movies. And this criticism is not limited to just The Mandalorian, the new movies felt like that, especially Solo and Rise of Skywalker, the latter of which came off like it was written by angry fanboys on Reddit.

Completely disagree with this. I've only watched the movies (numbered ones, hell I didn't really bother watching Episode XI until last week) and have no issues about being left out with the references in the show. If anything, the episodes are all fairly self-contained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

clown shoes posted:

Maybe you've acquired knowledge other ways? I had to look up Grand Admiral Thrawn on the wiki after the last episode to learn that he's a character from the old EU book series and the cartoon. The show still hasn't explained how Boba Fett is alive and why he's willing to risk his life for Baby Yoda.

I also don't know who Thrawn is, the mention of him implies that he's some big bad grand admiral lurking somewhere and didn't really affect the plot of the episode. That was enough for me. I assume that if he's going to play a bigger role in the story, they'll do a proper introduction to the character.

I think the bigger point you're missing other than these references is the Mandalorian in the show is not Boba Fett. though they do hint that the real Boba Fett is alive with that dude in the shot at the end