Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Don't know if it's binging but I've been watching Remington Steele on Hulu when doing really boring stuff at work, so usually 3 or 4 episodes a week. I remember watching it with my parents when I was a kid and now I get why my mom liked it so much. It's really held up well after fifteen years. Pierce Brosnan is drat sexy and I'm really liking Laura as a character, she is a strong, smart woman holding her own in a man's world. Also Remington and Laura have all sorts of chemistry together, the show is often really funny, remembers its own history, and the mysteries are usually pretty good too.

The last show I really devoured and watched nonstop as fast as I could was Friday Night Lights. It was really gripping and for the most part realistic. I thought I'd never give that show a chance because even as a Texan, High School football annoys me now that I haven't been in high school in so very long. But wow, FNL was fantastic and I couldn't stop watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Thanks to someone in this thread pointing out Burn Notice is now on Hulu, the last few days I've been binging on that. I hope to finish it up today and can't wait for season 2.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

calandryll posted:

Well now I'm moving season 5 ahead in my netflix queue. I hope it is just as depressing as the rest of the series, hell I better break out in tears.

It's pretty much impossible not to. It's been over a year since I've watched the show and every once in awhile I watch the ending on YouTube and still bawl like a baby.

Yesterday I watched about half of the first season of Jeremiah on Netflix Watch Now. It's a decent show, not the best thing ever but entertaining enough. Watching Luke Perry and Malcolm Jamal-Warner pretend to be 25 at 35 is kind of amusing, and Jason Priestly guest starring in the 3rd episode was hilarious (though he did a good job with his character. Also: nowhere near 25.) Got my last disc of season 3 of Weeds from Netflix yesterday so I'm finishing that up today and starting on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

The first three discs of season 4 of The Wire arrive today. I really enjoyed The Wire's first three seasons and everyone keeps saying season 4 is the best so I'm looking forward to it. It's been over a year since I saw the first three, though, so I'm a little worried about being lost as to what's going on because I barely remember it.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Slackarius posted:

and I've also been subjecting myself to Doogie Howser M.D. on hulu recently since they've got all 4 seasons up now. Why must so many shows get canceled right out instead of giving a final season to tie up the story!? Is that too much to ask?

Yeah I finished watching all of Doogie last week. I remembered I'd actually watched the series finale when it was on after missing most of the previous two season of the show and thinking "What the gently caress?" It seems even more annoying now after seeing the actual episodes leading up to the finale. It made me wonder if they didn't tell the producers they were getting canceled until the day they started writing the last episode of the show. Also, this was back before there was a lot of continuity on shows, but seriously, one day Doogie's happy then the next he goes on Jenny Jones, freaks out, quits medicine, dumps his girlfriend and runs off to Rome. And his parents are fine with it. Okay. At least the last two seasons were mostly Wanda-Free.

Anyway, I'm now in the middle of The Wire season 4. Just from seeing a lot of people in this and the saddest episodes thread talk about the ending of the season I'm dreading it, but I also think so far this is the best season of the show yet.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I've had the last disc of Season 5 of The Wire for a week now. I don't want to watch it because that means the show is over.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Donny Brook posted:

Going through the first two seasons of My Name is Earl in anticipation of season three arriving next Tuesday.

You mean last Thursday, when it premiered?

You can catch up on Hulu, if you have access to it.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Donny Brook posted:

No, I mean I ordered season 3 and it's coming on Tuesday. Season 4 just started airing last Thursday.

Whoops it looks like my plan to block season 3 out of my mind was successful, sorry.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

mcbexx posted:

"Pushing Daisies" field report:

I am now two-thirds through the first season (which by the way looks awesome on BluRay!), and while I am enjoying it so far, I can't really "binge" through this one like I did with lots of other shows. I could easily sit through 5-6 episodes of, say, "Veronica Mars", "Firefly" or "How I met your mother" ("oh, it's 5:00 am already?"), but for some reason I hardly can watch more than 2 episodes of "Pushing Daisies" in one sitting. I really like the show, the characters, the design and the quirky storylines, but only in small doses.
Can't put my finger on why that is, though.

As a huge fan of Pushing Daisies, this is completely understandable. Pushing Daisies is like candy for the eyes and ears. It's beautiful, the dialogue is fast and brilliant, but there's so much of it and it's so rich you can only have a little at a time.

This weekend I'm hoping to go straight through John Adams. It's only a Miniseries but a lot of goons thought it was great and it won a lot of Emmys so I'm looking forward to it.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I know it was only a miniseries but I watched all of John Adams over the last two Fridays. I really enjoyed it. For once I felt like I was watching something really trying to be historically accurate and portrayed the founding fathers like people, not Gods. I really enjoyed turning on the historic notes while watching. It was really worth the time.

It looks like Netflix is sending me the first three discs of season 1 of The Shield next. I'm prepared to be hooked.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I'm now in the middle of season three of The Shield. Been enjoying it. I don't think it's the best show ever but definitely highly watchable. I can see why a lot of people compared it with 24 early on.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

roxanne posted:

I borrowed season 1 of The Wire from a friend after all the recs here and I watched one episode and I don't know if I can bring myself to watch anymore. I don't know what it is but I just didn't really like it, I might force myself to go through the season though because apparently it's really good, right?

My problem with The Wire was that there were so many people and I felt like unless I had my eyes glued to the TV while watching it I couldn't keep up. I usually watch shows while playing video games or browsing the internet. So I ended up loading up HBO's episode guide and reading the recap after watching each episode so I made sure I understood everything that happened every hour. That helped me get into the show more.

I think a lot of people have the same problem you're feeling in the first few episodes of the show. But really, stick with it, it keeps getting better.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Astroturf Neckbeard posted:

I don't want to spoil too much, but don't get your hopes up. I pretty much hated Ruth from the start, though. By the end of the series, Nate was pretty much my most hated character.

I liked Ruth just fine until the way she treated George after he got out of the hospital. I mean the gently caress? Dumping him off in an apartment and just trying to forget about him. Seriously? I couldn't ever bring myself to like her again and her very last scene only made me sad because of the other characters, not because of her. But yeah, stick with Six Feet Under, there's some fantastic stuff coming up, and the ending doesn't disappoint.

I had the same problem as a lot of other people with Babylon 5. The first season is on Hulu and I started it a few months ago and got through the pilot + like 4 more episodes and haven't gone back. It's one of those shows I've always promised myself I'd watch since I love TNG so much and like DS9, but I wasn't enjoying anything about the show so far.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I'm now in season 4 of The Wire -- *edit* oops, I meant the Shield -- and still enjoying it. I'm really sick and tired of Shane, though. I'm really liking Glen Close's character so far, she seems to be a great addition to the cast.

Taking a break from it though to get through Mad Men because everyone's always talking about it. It's a good show, I can tell why everyone is crazy about it, but I wouldn't personally put it in my favorite shows ever. Definitely great TV, though.

Annakie fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2009 around 18:25

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Cart posted:

Also throwing out a recommendation for Chuck, just watched the first season of it and found it incredibly entertaining.

Season 2 blows season 1 out of the water. Last night's episode was one of the best hours of TV I've seen in a long time, and there's still 1 more episode to go!

I've been catching up on Rescue Me via Hulu the last few weeks. Definitely a show worth watching, I'm in the middle of season 4 now though and all of the "Look at who we kill off next / look how Tommy's life is poo poo now!" stuff is starting to get a little old, but it's definitely entertaining.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

incredible bear posted:

Already watching Chuck (that's from the year before), S2 should be starting in the UK any time now. It disturbs but thrills me how many people are dismissing S1 as crap, as I loved every minute of it. I can't imagine what S2's going to do to me.

I don't think we're saying Season 1 of Chuck is crap, just that it was "good" to "pretty good". At the end of Season 1 I was a fan but it probably barely cracked my top 10 favorite shows. Season 2 made it tie as my favorite show between The Office, HIMYM and Chuck, and it probably nudged the two of them out, just barely.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Count Choculitis posted:

About to watch the last ep of season 1 of Burn Notice and I absolutely love it. I didn't think it was possible for me to love Bruce Campbell more than I did before, but my god, I love Sam so much. Fiona can be annoying, but she's tolerable as long as she's being a badass and not a lovesick puppy. Such a fun show.

Season 2 is even better than 1, so you're about to get into even more awesome.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

waar posted:

I made a list just like this a while ago on another forum with rankings, obviously these are just my opinions so don't yell at me if you disagree but if we want a list this would be a good place to start:

Comedies:
1. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005, 4 seasons, still on the air)
2. 30 Rock (2006, 3 seasons, still on the air)
3. Arrested Development (2003, 3 seasons)
4. Seinfeld (1990, 9 seasons)
5. Entourage (2004, 5 seasons, still on the air)
6. Scrubs (2001, 8 seasons)

edit: I would also add The Office, Parks and Recreation, Burn Notice, and Fringe somewhere in there

Chuck, Psych, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and Party Down also need to be in this list.

That said, I was badgered by a goon friend to watch Party Down, finished all 10 episodes in like 3 days last week, really enjoyed it.

Starting on The IT Crowd now as I have time.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

They just put Spaced on Hulu. I've been dying to watch this forever, so that's my new binge, I'll get back to the IT Crowd next weekend after I obsessively watch Spaced every free minute this weekend.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Chamberk posted:

Out of curiosity (and because I don't want to dive into the season 4 thread), how's season 4 of FNL?

It's been really, really good so far with some of the best episodes of the series.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I've been binging through 21 Jump Street on Hulu, just finished the first season and the first ep of the second season. I'm sure I watched most or all of it when it was on the first time (I even owned the 45 of the theme song!) Yeah it's formulatic and so, so very early 90's but I'm surprised at how much I'm still enjoying it.

Highlights:
* Morty Seinfeld plays Johnny Depp's partner in the pilot, AND a grandpa who willingly kidnaps his grandson in the first ep of the second season.

* Red Foreman plays a FBI agent in two episodes so far.

* Jason Priestly as a young punk, but they actually had Agent Orange as a guest band in that episode so it was pretty good, even though the anarchist punks never said a curse word worse than "crap".

* They actually dealt with some pretty sensitive subjects (sexual molestation, drug addiction, etc.) in a decent way, though it got pretty preachy in places.

* I had totally forgotten the first half of the first season they had a hippie type captain before Fuller came in.

So yeah, it's cheesy as hell but so fun to watch.

I'm also re-binging Futurama right now (for about the 10th time) in preparation for the new episodes!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

octothorpopus posted:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is superdifficult to get through, because each episode is an hour and a half long, but I try. Somehow I've watched all of season eight, --my favorite so far--season nine, and I'm halfway through season ten. I like it without a doubt, even if it's kind of hard to understand all the references. I doubt I'll ever be done with it, though.

You'd probably have to be a super genius about pretty much everything to get ALL the references in an episode of MST3K, and a lot of them are dated now that it's 10 - 20 years after an episode was made so you'd literally have to know about all the sports, pop culture, news etc. of a particular year plus all of the other random stuff they say plus references from other episodes. Don't beat yourself up about not getting all the jokes.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Biggy_ posted:

My Name is Earl

If you like the first couple of episodes of Earl and the tone of the show, keep watching. Seasons 1 and 2 are really good, Season three, however, has a big shift in the beginning, which was okay, but you're left hoping things would get back to normal. Right as it should be, there's another huge shift and the show is pretty bad for awhile.

I didn't watch Season 4 much but from what I heard it got better. For the most part the damage was done after season 3 and ratings never recovered.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I re-binged Veronica Mars the last couple of weeks. I still think Logan is one of the most horrible characters ever on TV and it boggles my mind that people seem to love him so much. Season three still isn't as great as 1 and 2 were, but not nearly as bad as most people make it out to be.

Over the last few days I re-watched 30 Rock season three. It was still good, even knowing that season 4 wasn't that great.

A few weeks ago I watched the first season of Better Off Ted. I'd caught a couple of episodes when they were on TV and really liked them but it seemed like they aired it so sporadically. After the first season ended I was like "Man it sucks that this show only got one season, but that was great."

Then, after finishing 30 Rock S3, I saw that Better off Ted season 2 was on my suggestions list. Hell yes!. Binged all of that in one afternoon.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Kekekela posted:

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm watching season 1 of Lie to Me and enjoying it.

I liked Season 1 a lot more than I'm liking season 2. I haven't even been able to make it through half the episodes they've shown since they came back.

The last thing I binged was Community (even though I saw it when it was broadcast) when I got the DVDs. It's so hard to binge anything when you've got more new TV to watch than you can get through every week.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Finally started Doctor Who. I never knew anything about it, and last year when visiting my brother and sister in law they watched an episode of it and I had NO IDEA what was going on. I just remember they were in a cave and some girl's boyfriend may or may not have come back from the dead or a hole in time or something.

Anyway, I thought the first season (of the new series) was decent, but really started loving the show in the second with the David Tennant Doctor. The relationship between him and Rose was really well done, I thought. I finished the second season this morning and cried like a baby at the ending, and a little bit again at the Christmas Special that happens right after that. I ended up reading a bunch of wikipedia articles on the show yesterday while I was watching some episodes so I feel like I really know what's going on. I'm so glad to be spoiled that Rose is coming back in Season 4 for a few episodes.

I was also amazed at the amount of pop culture references I now understand from being caught up on exactly what Doctor Who is.

I've heard a lot of people say Torchwood is terrible, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. If I hate it, I can stop watching.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Dramatika posted:

Just finished season 3 of The Wire. The box set may be the best purchase I made in months.

It's loving me up at work, I watch an episode, it's over at 12:30 on a cliffhanger, and then I end up staying up until 3 in the morning without realizing it.

I know what you mean. I've spent every possible hour since Sunday morning watching Doctor Who. I'm on Episode 12 of season 4 now.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

kaworu posted:

Honestly, I think this is marginally overstated by the more hardcore fans, especially the people who had been watching the original series for years (or even decades) going into the revival. I mean, Moffat's season 5 was a definite improvement over the first four seasons, and I think Smith is better than Tennant for sure. I just feel like the criticism of RTD's era tends to be a little exaggerated, in part by a lot of people who simply didn't like or agree with the changes he made to the franchise to begin with.

I mean, there are a lot of people (like me) who are American and had zero familiarity with Doctor Who prior to watching the revival. This makes it a lot easier to enjoy the RTD era because we started with a clean slate. I'm only saying this because I've noted that people who started with the revival have an extremely different perception of the show than those that were already Who fans to begin with, I don't even know which category you fall into.

I barely had any idea at all what Doctor Who was, and I really, really loved the show, especially after Tennant started. I mean, there were a few episodes that I thought were not that great, but aside from the "I want my mummy!" parts of the episode Jack is introduced in, there's not a single one I'm not looking forward to watching again.

I finished all the Tennant episodes / specials last night (I stayed up way later than I should have) and bawled my eyes out at the end.

I'm really sad to see Tennant go (especially when he puts on those black framed glasses ) but I've heard a lot of praise for Matt Smith's Doctor, so I'm looking forward to that, too. I'm also planning on checking out the older era stuff that Netflix has on watch instantly when I'm done with the Smith stuff and Torchwood.

I'm watching the first episode of Torchwood right now and it's pretty meh, but it's a pilot, so I'm willing to forgive.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Thanks guys. Well, we made it through season 1, except for the last two episodes. It is actually becoming a little predictable in some of the story lines, which I surprise myself and my wife when I say what is going to happen. I have heard that Claire becomes a lesbian which makes absolutely no sense with the season 1 character that we have been introduced to.

I will honestly advise you to stop at season 1 and just believe that it was cancelled right then and there and go watch another show.

wyoming posted:

Just finished up five seasons of psych, the third season was probably my favourite, but on whole it's a wonderful series. Not sure how I felt about the Twin Peaks episode, it got a lot of things right, but still felt a bit too much, I don't know. The most impressive part was all the actors. (Sherilyn Fenn is steal dreamy )
Also I felt sorry for Abigail, Shawn was a jerk to her.
Really I don't get her character, was Rachael Leigh Cook busy with something else so she couldn't be on full time? Were they not sure if they wanted to get Shawn and Juliet together?

I never watched Twin Peaks so I'm kind of meh on that episode but most people seemed to enjoy it.

Abigail was brought in to be a stumbling block between Shawn and Juliet, and she served her purpose for that entire season. Like most shows, they did everything they could to keep the male lead and female love interest apart as long as possible. I honestly don't think the show is any worse/better now that they're together. They've done a pretty good job of keeping the show about what it's always been about since then.

BTW I also never have watched season 7 of The Shield yet for absolutely no reason. I think part of the problem now is that it's been 2 or 3 years since I watched it last and I'm afraid that everything will be confusing if I try to jump back in, but I don't want to rewatch the first 6 seasons again. As good as it was, there's too much other stuff to watch.

And I mentioned in the couch chat thread, I watched all of Dowton Abbey this weekend. Loved it. It's probably not a show for everyone, but it's so much more interesting, sometimes funny and gripping than a typical historical drama. Plus, Maggie Smith!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I've been going through Supernatural the last week or so on the insistence of a few friends. I've tried before and had a hard time getting through the first few episodes, but as it's gone on I've started to get more and move into the overarching storyline, which I think is much more well done and feels more planned out than a lot of shows major arcs.

There's definitely a lot of forgettable episodes but it also does a lot of things right. I really didn't expect Dean to actually go to hell at the end of season 3. I'm nearly done with season 4 and feel like the show is firing on all cylinders right now. The introduction of Castiel and the whole Angel / 66 seals / Armegeddon storyline has been fantastic. There's been some really memorable episodes, and laugh out loud moments.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I binged through Supernatural in December, after years of being told by a goon friend I had to watch it and being resistant to the idea. So glad that I did. It's so hard going back to week to week viewing this season. (And am now enjoying Count Choculitis' reactions as she goes through it, and love rewatching the best episodes with her. )

I also watched the first season of Mad Men a couple of years ago and for no good reason didn't keep watching it, so this last month I fixed that and am now all caught up. It's good as a character / period drama but can be a bit of a slow burn for stretches at a time.

And Didion / people thinking about watching Psych, it, and Parks & Recreation are basically the two happiest, feel-goodiest shows on TV right now. For Psych, there are literally only two episodes (the seasons 4 and 6 finales) that won't leave you with a smile on your face (and both of those are fantastic episodes, the endings are just not your typical happy Psych endings). The pilot is the weakest episode, and there are a few others scattered here and there that are kind of meh, but if you need a show that's going to make you laugh pretty consistently as long as it jibes with your sense of humor, Psych will do it.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I finally finished watching Jericho over the weekend. I suppose I can see why people didn't like season 2 as much and you could tell where a lot of the budget cuts came from, but I still thought it was really good and I'm sad there wasn't more show. The ending was incredibly rushed though and I would have been pissed if that was the actual ending.

I ordered the season 3 graphic novel and started reading it last night. I don't really read many comics so it's hard to judge but the first "episode" was pretty intense.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Ror posted:

I've sort of wanted to start the new Doctor Who for years now, but there just seems like so much to get through. I watched the first several episodes and enjoyed them, but they all just seem a bit too long and a bit too cheesy for me to commit to a few hundred more.

There's less than 100 episodes of new Doctor Who right now, not hundreds, if that makes you feel better. Also, it took me until near the end of season 1 to really get into it when I started less than two years ago but once it starts hitting its stride a little past halfway in season 1 you start getting really pulled in, and also I think it makes the earlier episodes a bit better on rewatch (though I usually skip The Unquiet Dead on rewatches, as it's one of my least favorite.)

Try skipping ahead to "The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances", it's a two-parter and probably the best of the first season. You can also try skipping to season 2 to see if David Tennant is more your thing, or skip ahead to season 5 when Matt Smith becomes the Doctor and the show has a big shift in tone and visual style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

In the last week and a half I've had a lot of downtime at work and time off.

* Re-marathoned all of Parks and Recreation because I love it so much. No regrets.
* Watched season 1 of The 100. Could do with way less Teen Drama bullshit but the rest of it was pretty good.
* Black Mirror (except the Christmas special since that's not on Netflix.) HOLY poo poo that was amazing. I will probably rewatch it all soon.
* Season 4 of Downton Abbey. It continues to be Downton Abbey. Soap Opera BS but I still love it.
* Right now I'm almost done with the first episode of The Americans. Okay this is already really awesome.
* Tried the first several episodes of Broad City but it wasn't for me, as much as I try to love female-lead shows.