Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I normally don't like multi-camera sitcoms but I just binged through "The Big Bang Theory" after an ex forgot her DVDs at my house. I rather like it, and I feel kind of ashamed of that fact.

Breakfast Cereal posted:

I recently discovered Trailer Park Boys and blew through all 7 seasons and the movies in about a week. Nobody I know has ever heard of this show. It's just not very well known in the US.

DirecTV is showing this in "HD" on their 101 channel, and I watched up until the end of the 5th season, then had to switch to comcast because of a move, and now I don't see it anymore. I'm going to have to get the DVDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm working my way through Californication, and I'm loving it. I just started the third season, and before i watched this, i had no idea that Duchovney was such a hilarious actor. Hank Moody is one of the most likeable characters i've ever seen on a show.

You should just skip right past all of season 3 and go right for the finale. Aside from it the whole season was dreadful. (and I loved the first two)

content:
I just binged through season 1 of Better Off Ted. Great show, I wonder why I didn't watch it when it was originally on because I do remember watching the pilot as it aired.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

butros posted:

Guys, I really want to like Mad Men - I'm three episode into season one and have yet to really be grabbed.

Please tell me that it's going to be awesome...:ohdear:

When watching Mad Men the character interactions and the slow buildup of the stories interwoven with absolutely nothing happening is kind of why I love the show. I like to say "It's the best show on TV where nothing happens."

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Be Depressive posted:

Smallville?

Yeah I was curious what this boring goon favorite is too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My girlfriend got me hooked on Gossip Girl and I hate myself.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Flatscan posted:

Every episode you watch increases the estrogen in your system. By the end of season 2 you'll be on your period.

I'm mid-season 3 now and I've grown some :sonia:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Adrianics posted:

Twin Peaks.... Ah man, Twin Peaks. I just... I know that it's an outstanding show, I just can't help but get this feeling that I'm just not smart/perceptive enough to enjoy it on more than its most basic level. This is more down to me than the show, however, which I know is, again, outstanding. I've got season two to go and I'm willing to sit down and pay it more attention and care than I normally give to television.

Laura's Theme is loving heartbreaking, one of the best television compositions I've ever heard. It seriously chokes me up every time I hear it.

You're not missing anything. It's weird for weird's sake. Like Yoko Ono.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Reggie Died posted:

Started watching Fringe, up to ep 13 of season one. The premise of the show is pretty interesting in an "out there" kind of way, and Walter's character is all kinds of awesome. But does anyone else loath and despise Olivia's character. I'm not sure why, but it's the same feeling I get when thinking of Dexters sister (note* I have not seen any eps of this seasons Dexter). Maybe because they are both seem like incompetent police officers who take their job very seriously despite completely relying on other people to get results.

Deb on Dexter is nothing even close to that character description :confused:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lady Demelza posted:

Content: I was going to try Twin Peaks, but after carefully guarding my ignorance for almost twenty years, someone let slip whodunnit. Is the ending really as stupid as it sounds?

The whole show is stupid. It's typical nonsensical "i better say I get this so I look smart" David Lynch garbage.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Unfortunately that is not true. Big Band Theory is the epitome of en mass poo poo proliferation. With a laugh track.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Seriously? I can't stand that poo poo. It's so stupidly unfunny with an annoying laugh track...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8r3tHUK6v4

I tried watching Big Bang Theory. :laffo:

They couldn't go more than 5 seconds without using the laugh track. :laffo:

I didn't like that. :laffo::roflolmao::laffo:

It's a studio audience. It's not a laugh track. The laughter is actual people laughing at the jokes as the show is being filmed. Sure the people have been worked up by a warm-up comedian beforehand to get them in a laughing mood, but it's not canned laughter added after the fact.

Also it's not trying to be realistic. They are caricatures on purpose. Because the idea of people that nerdy is absurd.

Those are the 2 complaints I hear the most about that show and neither of them are accurate. I'm not saying it's good (although I do watch it) or that there's something wrong with you if you don't like it, but at least get your criticism correct. The nerd act is severely overdone on purpose because it's funny, and the laughs are real people that are enjoying the live taping of the show.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tender Bender posted:

"What are you doing, Sheldon?"
"Playing Super Mario 64 on a poorly coded emulator."
*crowd laughs*
*no joke was said*

this is a real excerpt from TBBT.

And it's a callback to a joke earlier in the episode. By itself it's not a joke. In context it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh, you get to watch Two Cathedrals for the first time, one of the best hours of television ever made. I hate you.

My girlfriend and I are also binging through The West Wing right now and this is one of the episodes we'll see tonight. We've been watching 2 or 3 per night. I saw it before many years ago but I don't remember much, and it was the last episode I saw before being distracted away from the West Wing and not going back for some reason. Pretty much the only thing I remember from the episode is Bartlett smoking a cigarette in a church yelling at god