Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Started watching West Wing about this time last year, I don't get to binge on it as I'm watching it with my parents (my mother of which being the only person who's watched it before). Got six episodes left of Season 4 and completely dreading Season 5 at the moment, but I'm hoping it won't be as bad as I fear, who knows.

Loved the Josh/Donna chemistry right from the start, though the more recent episodes have been going in directions I don't really want them to. It's been a load of fun to watch, though I found Season 3 a bit of a chore to get through, Season 4's been a blast (anyone else find this?)

I don't know what to watch after that, I just can't see myself liking Six Feet Under or Oz but they're the only great shows I've yet to truly explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

mangler103 posted:

Season 5 really is that bad. There's one great episode, about the Supreme Court, and the rest is terrible. It improves once they shift focus to the election in 6 and 7 though.
Wahey, I didn't think my hidden question was going to get answered, cheers mang. One great episode is more than I was expecting, thanks to a post in one of the "worst moments ever" TVIV threads, I'm especially dreading Access. But the promise of Alan Alda and Jimmy Smits will keep me going until I get to the last two.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Johnny Deformed posted:

So the 4th season that's on now in the USA won't be finished til next year? Or there's a 5th season next year that's gonna be the last one?
There's 10 (maybe 12, I'm not sure if that's official yet) more episodes to come, they will be shown at the beginning of next year. It's still Season 4, unless Sci-Fi decide to name it otherwise. The big hiatus is a mix of Writers Strike and Sci-Fi hating us.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

I just finished Season Six and loved the hell out of it. Though I suppose it depends on how much you like the Jimmy Smits plot.

Not looking forward to Season Seven due to John Spencer's exit. S6 ending with Leo as the VP Candidate drat near broke me to tears because I know how much worse That episode will be when I get to it.

I'm not so much binging on it, but watching it as it's just started over here: Breaking Bad, the first episode was okay, the second episode was just downright hilarious and brilliant. Anyone that loves Dexter needs to check this out, so brilliantly dark. I have no idea what the full plan for this show is yet, and I'm sure the Writer's Strike didn't help, but it's just great television.

Trying to not watch too much new cable shows at the moment though, because I know the gap left by The Wire can't be replaced so I'm not even going to try. Generation Kill is "coming soon" to the UK though, I need that to hurry up.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

chemosh6969 posted:

Heroes I thought volume 2 wasn't that great but then I read that it got dramatically changed due to the writer's strike. I'll give them a pass for that.
Kind of hijacking this thread, but isn't this bullshit? I'm sure the Heroes team had finished Volume Two, and had made 2eps of Volume Three, which I'm not sure whether they held onto until S3 or scrapped and started again.

I keep hearing this defence of "Yes, Heroes sucked but it was because of the strike", and I'm sure it's one of the few shows that weren't really affected.

Speaking of the strike, just finished Breaking Bad, brilliant show with brilliant acting. I loved the non-finale ending, I'm not sure what the show had planned for a season finale, but I think it wouldn't have been as good as the feeling that he's just going to keep going until he dies. I bet they would have ended it with some wretched cliffhanger that just wouldn't really fit into the show.

Also finished the second season of Jericho, held off from watching it, the first 6 episodes were brilliant, the last one just felt awkwardly rushed and out of place throughout. The last, seemingly self-referential, lines of dialogue were wonderful though.

Up next: Mad Men - I have stupidly high expectations from this, so I need to lower them before I start watching.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

chips posted:

After binging my way through The Wire on the recommendation of a friend, he's gone and started me (you can trust someone who recommends The Wire to you and doesn't stop annoying you til you watch it) on The Office (US). I'm from the UK, and the US version is so so much better than Ricky Gervais' original.

There aren't many shows that I've actually watched as they come on TV, so I've previously gone through binges of Arrested Development and Battlestar Galactica.
When you've caught up on The Office (it won't take you too long because we're so far behind the States ), start getting into 30 Rock. Actually, I think they're repeating Season 1 late at Five at the moment, so if you have a DVR, you should do that.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Kane posted:

No one's making SciFi anymore, huh. That sucks.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Trophy Boner posted:

(The Wire) Also, it seems like the characters are just there to move the story along.
Just gotta give this sentence more love for it's complete incorrectness.

The Wire gives the characters such attention it almost puts Dickens to shame, I'll accept that people would come out and complain about there not being a story, for you to go in the other direction, I'm seriously ing over here.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Yeet posted:

I've been thinking about starting something new like Lost but everyone who watches that show says it's a pile after seasons 1/2.
To echo slowfoot, that opinion is wrong. Season 2 is a pretty big chore at time, Season 3 apparently started badly (a common opinion that I don't personally share), but from Season 3 Episode 7 through to the present, I'd say there's probably only been about 3 bad episodes (which won't weigh you down on DVD) and all the best episodes of the series have come from that point.

Though, as you're so late to the party, if you can watch something else, I'd do so. You may as well wait until the whole series is over and then make a start.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Trophy Boner posted:

Even though there are some rough patches in season 2 and 3 of Lost, all is redeemed in season 4, which I think almost every Lost fan agrees is far and away the best season so far. It's goddamn amazing from start to finish.
Apart from that goddamn Kate episode

Who didn't know the ending of that 10 minutes in? Anyone?

And it wasn't even a "We know the ending but it's how we get there" kind of storyline.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

At this point it almost might be better to hold off on Lost until it's finished.
Seconding this. It's almost idiotic to start watching Lost now, just wait a year and then start.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Watched Season One of The Shield which is to say that I watched the very first episode and after that, how could you stop until it was over. Got the next 5 seasons on DVD ready to watch, by the time I get through them the last season should be going quite cheaply.

Also, anyone that gave up on Prison Break after Season 1 or 2 might want to at least give the last two episodes a watch, as they do conclude a lot fo the character, and it's far greater than you'd expect/hope.

Meanwhile, I'm left with not much TV to watch in a few weeks, with BSG and PB over for good. Are there any new American shows from this season? I gave up on Fringe, but Dollhouse has just started and seems intriguing enough for me to put up with it until the sixth episode or whenever it is that the show improves. But I haven't noticed anything getting rave reviews to the style of Lost, Heroes, Dexter, Breaking Bad or Mad Men did when they arrived on TV this season, have I simply missed something or has the new stuff been mostly average?

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Already watching Chuck (that's from the year before), S2 should be starting in the UK any time now. It disturbs but thrills me how many people are dismissing S1 as crap, as I loved every minute of it. I can't imagine what S2's going to do to me.

How well is Harper's Island going? Due to the structure of the show, it's pretty unsafe to go around looking for reviews and stuff because it's just going to be spoiler central. Are the ratings good enough, is it just going to have one season and then finish, or is there a chance of it getting picked up for more?

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

CaptainHollywood posted:

You could also try watching Lost, and catch up before the final season airs.
Don't do that. You might as well wait until the whole series is done, now. The last thing you want to do is watch 100 episodes in a month, get stupidly hooked and then suffer every week like the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Started watching How I Met Your Mother, really easy to watch, and I totally love Barney, about halfway through S1 at the moment.