Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

onefish posted:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is one of the funniest comedies on TV that is also completely undemanding of a viewer's attention -- like, you can easily watch while sick/etc. The only downside is just one season out so far.

I also need a new comedy like nobody’s business and hoping someone here will know of something magic that I’ll be able to pick up on DVD or watch via netflix. I follow or have seen all the major ones, plus a bunch of British shows. Shows I’ve seen that I've enjoyed off the top of my head are

US
Louie
Party Down
Family Tree
Strangers with Candy
Girls
Eastbound and Down
Bored to Death
it’s always sunny
community
Frasier
Orange is the new black
m*a*s*h

UK
The thick of it
Father Ted etc
Spaced
Stewart Lee’s comedy vehicle
Peep Show
Moone Boy
The Trip
Green wing
Fresh meat
Dirk Gently

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've taken to rewatching old panel shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
Thank you Drifter, klaphark and Mister Kingdom!

I’ve seen most of the shows recommend (Modern Family, Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, Veep, Cheers, Night Court, good life, scrubs, young ones, yes prime minister, red dwarf) and I don’t really go in for cartoons (which is my own fault), but I’ll pick up one of the 70’s/80’s British comedies and see if I can’t get into that.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Metal Loaf posted:

Are you familiar with Blackadder? You might enjoy that; it shared a writer with The Young Ones and Rik Mayall had a guest appearance in all four seasons.
Saw it years ago, if you liked that and maybe QI you'd enjoy Jeeves and Wooster I suppose, it's an old show with stephen fry and hugh laurie (their sketch comedy is alright too I guess, but I recommend the first two or three seasons of jeeves and wooster more) and all the episodes are actually on youtube. I used to own the dvd set, but it got passed around my circle of friends and now it's incomplete and scratched :(

Drifter posted:

You're The Worst is really good, in my opinion. I've seen 5 episodes so far and had a blast. It's black humor and seems like it toes the line between British and American humor.

Just TRY Archer. Give it an episode, and if you laugh a couple times give it one more episode. After that, do as thou whilst.

I had rewatched Seinfeld about a year ago and was really amazed at how funny the show remained. Those were soem fantastic characters that really withstood the test of time and topical comedy. The Cosby Show and Fresh Prince (FP, to a lesser extent) are also great like that. Cosby remains one of my favorites of all time.

Seen Seinfield, it's a must! Cosby was not my cup of tea, tho I watched fresh prince a lot when I was younger. I tried Archer, gave it two episodes, but no laughs, sorry. I did just now give rick and morty a go and that was alright after about half a bottle of wine :) I'll look up you're the worst tomorrow, black humour is the best! A show for you that skirts the same US UK line with black humour (or: gallows humour really) is A Young Doctors Notebook. It stars Don Draper and Harry Potter, but don't let that put you off. It takes place in the country, during the first revolution in Russia and it's great and very short. It's on netflix in Europe.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 31, 2014

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Dave Angel posted:

Some other US suggestions if you haven't seen them, Curb Your Enthusiasm and The League.

On the UK side, if you liked The Young Ones check out Bottom.

[Edit] Let's toss in a recommendation for Garth Marenghi's Darkplace as well. Also, does Father Ted, etc include The IT Crowd?

Thank you, seen all those, but didn't care for either The League or Bottom, whereas the other two are definitely classics in my opinion. It includes all Linehams shows :) If you liked Garth Marenghi, you should check out Snuff Box and/or Toast of London. Both are Matt Berry heavy, but surreal and very watchable.

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a new British show called Scrotal Recall. It's about a guy that finds out he has some STD and he has to go back and find his former sex partners to tell them. I haven't seen it yet but based just on the name it's probably good.

Scrotal Recall has gotten both good and a little bad press in the uk, I haven't seen it yet and am interested to know what you think of it after you've binged it :)

Mister Kingdom posted:

I somehow forgot Andy Richter Controls the Universe. It's the spiritual ancestor of Better Off Ted.

Any spiritual ancestor of Better Off Ted sounds like a great binge, I'll pick this up when I've got the money.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Greyish Orange posted:

Going through Rick and Morty based on so many recommendations here and elsewhere. Was really reluctant because I thought it was just typical Adult Swim 'random craziness', but there's been some real funny moments.

If it gets a little bit too adult swim cartoons for young adultsy for you, just drink heavily and you'll enjoy it tremendously. I didn't watch a single episode sober and had a great time! Anyway, the reason I just had to pop in here was to say that someone talked about scrotal recall and it looks like an o.k. show, but the main character looks like a young Boris Johnson which is very distracting!

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Forget all that and watch Toast of London, starring Matt Berry. Written by Berry and Arthur Mathews (the talented one behind Father Ted).

Also, My Hero was bad.

Laverna posted:

If you've seen Father Ted then you've probably also seen The IT Crowd, but if you haven't it's one I'd recommend checking out.
Another old comedy that Ardal O'Hanlon from Father Ted was in is My Hero. It's pretty cute but not quite as good as those other two in my opinion.

Black Books, Fawlty Towers and hell, if you're addicted to comedy then you've probably already binged through all of Monty Python's stuff as much as I have so I doubt I even need to mention that.

For a newer British comedy you could check out Him and Her. I can't actually say if it's any good or not (I just skimmed through it to watch the parts with Joe Wilkinson in it, who is great) but no harm seeing for yourself.

Also if you've seen all the popular ones then you'll already know it, but on the off chance you don't: Flight of the Conchords

I should have been way clearer in my original post, since then I've been trying to compile a list of all the shows I've seen, but it's difficult when you've been binging as long as I have. (Student to unemployed to depressed). I think I already said that I've seen all Graham Linehams stuff, tho.

Anyway! I've seen all these, most of them more than a few times, except I didn't really care for My Hero, though if you like ardal o hanlon he has a small part in a new Irish show called London Irish, which is good, nor did I like Him and Her, because Russell Tovey annoys me. He was fine in The History Boys, but his mere presence simply put me off shows like him and her or his more recent The Job Lot. Right now I'm trying "Free Agents" on for size, because I just like looking at Stephen !Mangans donkey face :) And if you like the other, apparantly "less talented", creator of Father Ted, his show The Walshes is being re-run these days and you should check it out. Flight of the Concords was just so good on the radio that I could never get into the tv show, it somehow didn't come alive for me the same way it did on radio.

Toast of London, father ted/black books/etc, fawlty & monty are all good suggestions though and if someone else hasn't seen them, they should, though what nerd hasn't seen at least all of the flying circus? I'm comming off like a dick and I don't mean to, what I want to say is Thank you so much for your suggestions! Though I've seen them all, I hope maybe I've been able to in turn point you towards a great show you haven't seen yet? :)

A previous reply to my post suggested Review and Nathan for You. Both were very good and very different to anything suggested above, so I'll list them here too and again thank the people who suggested them.

edit: This guy was right about this show

Drifter posted:

You're The Worst is really good, in my opinion. I've seen 5 episodes so far and had a blast. It's black humor and seems like it toes the line between British and American humor.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 16, 2014

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
Meh, the first few episodes were good and the idea to follow the brits in the length of a season excellent, but a new the wire it is not (If in doubt, just revisit how terribly clumsily women are portrayed in true dick). I won't even put forth another show for that titel, because to be honest, no one has quite made it yet, but thats fine. TV shouldn't just imitate the big hits, it should innovate like, say, the fall is doing right now in the uk.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm talking about The Good Wife.

I'm talking about the guy rewatching true detective :) Good wife is a fine show :)

edit: christ you're right, i apologise. I blame the booze, the sa app for not letting me read posts while writing and myself for being dumb

prinneh fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 18, 2014

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Laverna posted:

If Russell Tovey is the main guy in it then yeah I didn't really like him either, hence why I skipped most of it.
I'm also at the Student->Unemployed/Depressed stage and at the moment I'm binging Parks and Rec, which started great but is getting progressively less funny. :(

I'm afraid I can't really think of any other comedies to recommend, I've been watching a lot of dramas lately.
Miranda is one of my all-time favourites but it's a bit more aimed towards depressed single women.
Give Flight of the Conchords another try, or at least put it at the bottom of your list.

On an unrelated note:
I normally can't stand gratuitous violence and brutality but I'm really loving Utopia, it's pretty good. Just started season two.
I really like that soundtrack.

yeah, he's awful :)

I'll put flights at the bottom of list then, but I have my still have my doubts! Did you see mooney boy or family tree? 'cause those are great and so short they never go downhill. I hesitate to advise this, but if you're thinking about binging stephen merchants Hello Ladies, now is the the time to do it, because supposedly there's a special coming up this weekend.

I was following parks and rec from the start and tend not to notice that much when 20 minute a week comedy shows go downhill, but you're right, it has gotten worse. I'll still watch till the end tho.

I'll pick up Utopia and Miranda, thanks for recommending them.

Is anyone here still watching the walking dead? Something happened this season and it's been the best one so far. There were even both a lost and an x-files reference in sundays episode :) Not really a binge topic, but if you have binged some of it or if you're currently binging it just know: it gets better. edit #2: Not that I'm saying it gets better because of references, it's mainly the pace, which has completely changed.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just went through Peaky Blinders in two days on Netflix. I really liked it and might do thread on it.

I just binged the first season and am looking forward to the second one. is it already on netflicks in the states? because it just finished airing in the uk?

edit: Has anyone binged Olive Ketteridge yet?

prinneh fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 19, 2014

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Unzip and Attack posted:

*house of saddam description*

It's the single best depiction of a fascist head of state I've ever seen on screen.
You're selling this very well, I might pick this up soon. Thanks, I've never heard about this!

Laverna posted:

On an unrelated note:
I normally can't stand gratuitous violence and brutality but I'm really loving Utopia, it's pretty good. Just started season two.
I really like that soundtrack.

I took you up on your related note and Utopia seems worth the time, just starting season 2 now :) It's weird how brits sometimes juuuust have to infuse violent dramatic scenes with a bit of humour and bright colours. In Utopia's case, I think the show would be better without it as right now it's a little too fluorescent, but it's still a fun and enjoyable show it's just sometimes the balance seems a little off. This is another show I'd never have found if not for this thread, so cheers Laverna :)

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's true, Brits do love cinematography and the ability to not tell a story the same way every time. Also men dressing as women and running around to yakaty sax. God save the Queen. Churchill was a oval office.

If you are being sarcastic, it is misplaced. I'm saying the balance is off in Utopia, nothing else. Feel free to send me a private message about it if you feel I'm being unfair, because I really don't aim to be :)

prinneh fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 26, 2014

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
edit: doublepost

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Norse Code posted:

Has anyone here binged Scrotal Recall yet? I see it on Netflix and I want to give it a shot.
It's entertaining and the season goes by fast. I'd pair it with a bingewatch of You're the worst, which was recommended to me here, it's a little longer at around 13 episodes, but if you enjoyed one you'll enjoy the other.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Regy Rusty posted:

Take my advice and don't bother with season 2

I agree with this. While it's difficult to give up on a second season of a good show, it's just not worth it and watching it will tarnish the memory you have of season 1. Is it still beautiful and well acted? Yes, but the writing goes straight down the toilet.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Scrapez posted:

I'm through a couple episodes of Our World War and so far it is very good.

It follows English troops in World War I. A similar vibe to Band of Brothers in that it shows more than just the battles and gets into personal lives a bit. Obviously doesn't come close to BoB but nothing does.

Worth a watch if you like war films.

Edit: Guess it's only 3 episodes. Wish it were longer. Decent and at 3 episodes not too much of a commitment.

Thank you, I'll try to pick this up. I'm so hard up for a good binge that I'm watching Taxi (that American tv show from the late seventies).

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
I just "binged" Mr. Sloane yesterday. Too bad it was cancelled, I really enjoyed the first season and would recommend it to most UK tv comedy fans. It stars Nick Frost and has a bunch of other greats in it, like Olivia Colman

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Fresh off the Boat is a really good show. The little brothers are like the weirdo twins from Bobs Burgers.

I enjoyed it too and the fact that the guy who's book/life story it's based around continues to absolutely hate it just makes me love it more. If you sell your lifestory to ABC to be made into a primetime sitcom, you shouldn't expect it to be gritty and realistic. The Executives makes all the decisions, everyone knows this, so eat your money and shuddap :D

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

forever whatever posted:

Since I discovered that the entire season is up for free right now on nbc.com, I have been binging through the new network drama Aquarius, with David Duchovny as a 60's Hollywood detective chasing Charles Manson. It has a uniquely dark vibe for a network show (although not as much as Hannibal) and the vibe sort of strikes me as a network attempt to recreate the dread filled atmosphere of True Detective. If you like Duchovny at all it might be worth checking out, since for the next few weeks the whole series is streaming for free on nbc.com, with no commercial interruptions, but I think the whole thing would be working better as a one-off (like True Detective) because I really don't see this getting renewed for some reason and it takes place an entire 2 years before the murders that got the Manson family famous. Still pretty engrossing for a network show.

Oh, I'll have to watch this, I've enjoyed Duchovny since I was a teenager watching x-files. Thanks for telling us about it.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Alter Ego posted:

I don't know when Netflix got HD remastered versions of The X-Files. All I know is I literally made this face: :stare:

And then I started watching.

:stare:

So jealous.

I recently started rewatching it in conjunction with the podcast the X-files files. Such a great show for the first 6 seasons, glad they're binging it back. The podcast is a little annoying, depending on who is on it, but I'd still recommend it, since it's fun hearing people discuss episodes you've just seen of such an "old" show.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Brideshead Revisited (1980ish miniseries)

I rewatch this almost every year. I first came across it in either Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes, probably the latter, where one of the main cops jokingly referred to it. Then I saw it later at the top of a Guardian tv critics best tv shows ever. I was surprised to see it at the top, read more about it, found out it amongst others featured a young jeremy irons and then got the DVD from Amazon. It's not going to be your thing if you prefer fast paced action as it's a british period drama, but it's absolutely wonderful and I'd recommend it to just about anyone.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm close to the end of season 5 of MASH. I'm not sure if I'll make it through season 11, but it's a solid show so far.

I've seen MASH like 4 times now (don't ask). Binging it is a little difficult, just watch an episode or two before bedtime. Alan Alda is in it to the end, which helps when it gets a little preachy towards the last seasons, but as you'd expect from 11 seasons the show has it's ups and downs. Mostly ups though. I hope you're watching it without the laughter track as that, at least for me, is the way to go.

And of course, you should be able to get from season 5 to 11 by just staring intently at BJ's magnificent moustache.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Egbert Souse posted:

Netflix has the laugh track versions on streaming. It's not too bad since it seems a bit subdued on later episodes. I've never understood why tracks are added to shows not actually shot with an audience. I'm surprised how poor quality the video looks - do the DVDs look rough? Some were outright color faded.

I actually like the preachiness so far. It addresses a lot issues that were still left unsaid for the most part like PTSD. And it got more violent and bloody than the first season. I usually don't care for sitcoms (though I just finished Father Ted, which is hilarious).

Father Ted is the best, go for Black books next, same creator.

The MASH DVDs have no laugh track and the colours are good. I haven't seen it on netflix, so I can't really compare but to me it looks fine. It's quite possible that netflix has inferior images since they have the laughtrack too, but that'd just be guessing on my part.

And yeah, laughtracks are insane haha. HAHAHAHA!!!!

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Pan Dulce posted:

Ugh. I just binge watched Person of Interest, then followed up with whatever I could scrounge up of Arrow on Netflix. Why, oh WHY, didn't I see their threads before doing this?! PoI was actually very good, just got better and better and I have no idea how it ended the way it did, all cliffhanger-y, when they didn't know if they were getting cancelled. So cruel.

Wait, PoI got cancelled? I Was sure it was renewed?

edit: Did some goggling... It's not exactly cancelled, just half-seasoned, which I know means cancelled in the long run, but they still get 13 more episodes which should be enough to go out in a blaze of gunfire. Hopefully they'll finish off the main story without trying to build suspense for another season on another network, though google tells me that might happen since even with the next short season they're apparently still over that 100 episodes wondernumber that execs and studios get very excited about because syndication.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 16, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

xeria posted:

It's not cancelled (yet); it's been renewed for a(t least a) 13-episode 5th season, with no word yet on whether or not CBS is considering that its final season.
Thank you for your reply. It was very quick, informative and too polite to mention me being too lazy to google in the first place :)

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
Uuurgh, Hannibal is just being reported as cancelled from NBC. Does anyone know if they knew this would happen before they stopped filming/writing? I'd hate to think that season 3 will end in a cliffhanger :(

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Trig Discipline posted:

Honestly this season of Hannibal has largely worn out its welcome for me. I really liked the first two seasons, but if this one doesn't get its poo poo together I'm not going to be too broken up by its cancellation.

I don't agree, but that's just my opinion, I love how good it always looks. Anyway, I found out there was a Hannibal thread here in the tv iv and they seem to think it'll be picked up by netflix/amazon, but I have my doubts. Regardless, the thread informed me that season 3 should have a natural end point for the show. Also, some people in that thread have read the books and don't use spoilertags, just a warning.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Shadow posted:

A Young Doctor's Notebook with Harry Potter and Don Draper was really loving good. I spent the last 2.5 hours watching the entire series. It's super short at 22 minute episodes, 4 per season, 2 seasons. Really clever way of illustrating regret and realizing you hated who you used to be.

Recommend it.

Popped in to quote this man. I think I've seen this show at least 3 times and it really is good. Perfect example of how can less be more. Highly recommend, especially if you enjoy russian literature or dark comedies. To the goon who recommend it, I'll recommend the book it's based on.

If you like dark comedies and can put up with the abomination that is the norwegian language, Dag, about a psychiatrist/marriage counselor who hates people, loves Elvis and eats valium from a PEZ dispenser, is good too.

If you don't fancy norwegian and instead is looking for a new quick uk comedy binge, the detectorists is pretty good. I think it won the bafta for best screenplay for a uk comedy series last (this?) year. It's a comedy with toby jones and mackenzie crook about two people walking around in fields with metal detectors hoping to find a big cache of gold, but mainly finding bottlecaps. It's really very sweet.

I'd love a new show to binge and continually check the thread for recommendations. Goons really seem to enjoy shows like Spartacus and vikings or even Rome, but I just haven't been able to enjoy either of them. I should probably just start over with the Americans (saw the first season, then forgot about the show until it suddenly became a hit with the follow up seasons), but if anyone can recommend anything a little more esorteric and weird, I'd be thankful. Assume I've seen all the house mds, walking deads, wires, sopranos, rubicons, thick of its, black mirrors, utopias, les revenants, killings, etc. Could be comedy or drama as long as it's good and I haven't seen it. Language doesn't matter either. TV addict in need of a fix here.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
First of all, thank you all for your recommendations :)

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Prinneh, try Banshee. It's on Cinemax, it owns, and there's not really anything on TV like it. First season is on Amazon Prime, too.
I've discarded Banshee before on account of this trailer - does it, in your opinion, accurately portray the show?

Vodos posted:

Braquo is a French show about corrupt cops, kinda Shield-y and it's pretty drat good.
Line of Duty is a UK cop show about their internal affairs department. It's 1 case per season, with a bunch of twists but actually good ones unlike most US shows.
The Good Wife is about lawyers and I never bothered checking it out until last year because I thought the name is stupid, but I really enjoyed it. It's the only show I can think of atm where I enjoy the office politics.
Similarly, I never checked out Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 because of the name, but Dawson makes that one hilarious.
The Red Road is about poo poo happening to people from a Lenope tribe trying to get recognized by the federal government. Has Jason Momoa.

I'm guessing Banshee and Strike Back get mentioned often enough in this thread.
How Shieldey is Braquo? I did not enjoy or even finish first season of The Shield, would that turn me off it? Could you compare it to, say, another French crime show like Spiral?

Line of Duty looks to be a sorta like maybe the honourable woman/the shadow line light, so I'll check it out. Plus, season 2 adds Keeley Hawes to the mix and I've enjoyed watching her in other stuff like Ashes to Ashes and Ambassadors. Thank you :)

The Good Wife I'm the opposite of you on this, I like the name, but the show is not for me, I just can't get interested in lawyers. Gave it a few episodes a couple of years back, but it just didn't connect with me. Sorry. I hear the later seasons are a lot better than the earlier, but this show must be around 100+ hours long by now, right?

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 I agree about the title of this show! That name has kept me firmly away, but I'll give it a go tonight. Thank you!

The Red Road Never heard of this before. Does this trailer accurately portray the show?

If I heard about Strike Back, I didn't register it :/ I'll look more into it. Thank you.

THF13 posted:

Good shows that don't get recommended too often

Just not very well known
-You're the Worst
-Blue Mountain State

Nobody watches shows on MTV
-Awkward
-Faking It

British
-Him and Her
-The Job Lot
-Hustle

I have seen all or at least a few episodes of all these shows. I think You're the worst is brilliant, I'm hearing it'll be back in september :) The rest of your list I could probably do without ever rewatching or finishing, though I'm sure someone else will go through this thread and find a lot of recommendations to their liking on this list. Thank you for suggesting these. If you enjoy The Job Lot, there's a chance you might like The Smoking Room.

Again, thank you everyone, I love you and I love this thread :)

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...jesus they made it look generic.

Here, I'll link you to a fight scene from it and you can judge for yourself. It's well-written, but the key appeal of the show is in the action sequences- there's not really any other shows doing fights like this except maybe Daredevil, and even that's not on the same level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ok3h8E42Qs

e: Also, like 90% of the plot of Banshee is life finding new and exciting ways to poo poo all over the protagonist, so if it's a power fantasy it's a rather masochistic one. Seriously, dude is constantly getting screwed by blind luck.

Yeah, this is probably a little heavy on the action side for me, I'm a little more Brideshead Revisited than Daredevil ;) Though I'm always glad to see follow Danes cast as villains, everytime it happens (and it's happening a lot lately), people in the states will see me being just a little more of a sinister character each time I visit :D

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

prinneh posted:

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 I agree about the title of this show! That name has kept me firmly away, but I'll give it a go tonight. Thank you!

This is now my new watch while drunk after 00:00 show. I'll read your comments about the shows I asked you about tomorrow. Thank you vodos for being so swift to reply^^

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Vodos posted:

Braquo is a lot darker than Shield, it's only comparable because it's about dirty cops. It's also focused on the team, they don't have storylines centered around detectives or patrol, unlike Shield. As was already said, everyone's a bastard. I haven't watched Spiral yet so I can't compare (it's on my Netflix list though).

Red Road isn't really anything too special, just thought I'd throw it out there because I liked the setting. It's drama with murder, drugs, racism, interracial relationships, ex-cons getting hosed, natives getting hosed and schizophrenia.

Strike Back has a bit of a weird history, it started as a UK (sky?) show, they did a 3 episode season and then it got picked up by Cinemaxx, who dumped the whole cast and turned it into an action buddy series with the best firefights on tv. It kinda goes hand in hand with Banshee, which has the best melee fights on tv.

I'll look into the Braquo, thank you, but probably skip Red road then. Is it worth it just watching 3-episode season of Strike Back, or does it end very cliff-hangery?

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Shadow posted:

Also watch The Leftovers. 2% of the population just up and disappears and people react to it in various ways. Some freak out, others join cults, some act like life has no meaning, others think life has ONLY meaning because they're still here, etc. It's really loving well done. I can't wait for the second season!

Haha, I saw this when it first came out. It was alright, initially I wasn't going to watch because I read a review that basically said "When watching this show you'll soon find yourself wishing you were one of the people who were plucked from the story within the first 10 minutes and therefore not having to go through any more of this show" Very harsh haha, but then a friend made me watch it. It's ok, but it's not one of those shows where I can't wait to rewatch season 1 when season 2 premieres.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Laverna posted:

I dunno if it was here that I heard about it but I recently watched Mr Sloane and I kind of enjoyed it. Not laugh out loud funny, more of slightly depressing comedy.

I've seen it, but thats a good recommendation. Solid cast, good story. I was sad to hear it was cancelled, which was the most depressing bit about it :(

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Thwomp posted:

Does it count as binging if you can binge it all in 2 hours?

Cross posting from the streaming thread:

Anyone with Amazon Prime streaming should watch Catastrophe. It's only six 20 minute episodes and it's fall off the couch hilarious.

ran through catastrophe last night, been avoiding it for a while because it was re-broadcast in my country, which usually only happens for either the very best, but mostly for just the most broad british stuff. Was sorta surprised how good it was, I'm not really a laugher so for me it wasn't fall off the sofa funny, but it did make me think I'd have to come here and recommend it. Thought all I'd be doing this summer was waiting for final peep show and fresh meat, so catastrophe was a real welcome addition. It's a very sweet and honest feeling comedy and some of the best on screen chemistry between two leads I've seen in a while.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Egbert Souse posted:

Just watched the finale to M*A*S*H. I didn't think I'd make it through all 11 seasons, but it was worth it. One thing surprised me was how the last two seasons were really good. Lots of the best episodes. Would anyone be interested in a dedicated thread?

I've seen mash about four times, but I'm not really sure I'd be interested in a dedicated thread. I mean, obviously I think it's a fantastic show, but what's there really to talk about? Aside from BJs moustache I mean.

edit for binge content: Just ran through "the staircase" snd the sequel two days ago, only 10 episodes/hours all in all. It's a documentary about a murder/accident case that follows both the family of the accused at home and the legal battle. Started hard, then went insanely slow, but it somehow ended up being both gripping and a little devastating. Reading about it afterwards, this is the show Sarah Koenig at this american life watched while considering how to do "Serial" the podcast and it shows, it's much more like Serial than, say, The Jinx. At only 10 hours its a short binge, but it can be dense with legalese etc. recommended tho.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 12, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

FELD1 posted:

I started in on that a few months ago, but ended up watching other shows for a while. I might have to pick that back up knowing it keeps going strong; the sheer amount of episodes kind of put me off trying to get through it all. Alan Alda has a really smarmy face and voice that really lends itself to the style of humor of the show.

You watch other shows during the day/evening and then you wind down with two or three episodes before going to bed. If you watch like 10 episodes in a row you'll drown in 70s charm, thats how I've felt everytime I've gone through it anyway. If you don't own it, I'd recommend you buy the boxset because there's no laughtrack.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
^^^^ yup, but don't let us goons destroy it. It's fun and extremely bingeable. Rule #1 of binging is don't stop to think, just watch.

ghostwritingduck posted:

What happened to Community? I really loved it at first, and didn't realize do many others felt that things went of the rails.

Some do, some don't. Have you seen it all the way through? The creator wasn't on board for season 4, a lot of people, me included, think that season is completely unwatchable, others prefer it over the other 6 seasons. The show starts hemorrhaging actors in later seasons, but I still enjoyed it all the way to the yahoo end.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 12, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Mister Kingdom posted:

The only time the laugh track was not used was during scenes in the OR.

yes yes, because it was not dignified and hence the episode "OR" that takes place completely in the OR so no laughs, it was a protest by the mash team against the canned laughter, I know. But on the DVDs, you can turn off the laugh track completely and it's a much, much better viewing experience was what I was trying to say.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oh, I know. It was just a heads up to those who only watch it on TV.

Must have misunderstood you, keep on binging goon sir :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Nate RFB posted:

Since I was picking up Mulholland Drive when it comes out on Criterion I decided to take a gander through other Lynch stuff since surprisingly I had never actually seen any somehow. This has naturally led to binging Twin Peaks, might as well in preparation for the new season.

Thoughts about 4 episodes in: I did not expect it to be as funny as it is. It's quite amusing.

Lucky you! I recently saw it again with a buddy who hadn't seen it before, she's not into tv at all so it was a pleasure to show her something she really enjoyed. Season 1 is best, second season is a little muddled, but stick with it till the end and you'll be rewarded.

Norse Code posted:

My brother has been nagging me to watch Suits, but I'm dragging my feet on it... is it worth it? I watched an episode or two and it's okay, but just looking to see if it gets amazing.

imho it starts alright and then gets worse: The premise is simple and kinda suspenseful, but they've locked themselves into a formula and around the end of season 2 I started hating everyone on the show. They're all shallow bastards. What this show lacks is heart and direction, basically what I'm saying is you can play games on your phone while watching this. It's empty calories, but like junk food sometimes that's what you want to watch. Forum user Fleeve describes it pretty good, I think, even if he/she likes it a little more than me.

That also goes for his/her description of Mr Robot, even though Mr Robot didn't remind me of Utopia in the tone it all, it is a least an interesting show and I'd recommend it to most viewers under 40, I think. Above all else the main actor is good and it's very well paced.

Anyone else excited that You're The Worst is back? :D