Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Currently it's Psych and The Big Bang Theory for me.

I never realized how funny Psych was--I only saw random episodes on USA whenever it was on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Game of Thrones. I read all five of the books currently out and was unable to see the first season on HBO, so I went out and bought the Blu-ray version of Season 1. loving awesome. Plus, the commentaries make it even better.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Binging through Eureka right now and I have to say I'm enjoying it a lot. There are no A-listers in the cast, but the show is kind of like if The X-Files had a bastard child with Leave it to Beaver or The Andy Griffith Show.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Binging through Scrubs again (shut up, Dr. Cox and Neil Flynn's Janitor are hilarious).

Question: if I liked Arrested Development, will I like Always Sunny in Philadelphia? It's on Netflix streaming now and I was thinking of watching it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
If anyone has been waiting for an excuse to binge through The West Wing, it is now free on Netflix in HD.

Merry Christmas to me.

Anyway, I'm currently going through Star Trek: The Next Generation, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and I'm finishing up Scrubs.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I binge through like 3-4 shows at a time.

Right now I'm watching Daredevil on Netflix...about halfway through. The production value feels much higher than anything I've watched of this nature except maybe Gotham, because even Arrow has a little too much ~drama~ in places.

Also, loving Bar Rescue. Jon Taffer has an almost Gordon Ramsay-esque charm in how he shreds dumb bar owners and lazy employees. He just doesn't quite have Ramsay's ability to turn a phrase--he becomes kinda inarticulate when he's not talking about bar science. Considering the amount of work he puts into rescuing some of these places, it must piss him off to no end when places like that dumb loving pirate bar in Maryland tear everything down that he built. Best part was that they continued to fail, and then begged him to come back and save them again.

And the one in Season 3 where he walks out was just :stare:. Those people were irredeemable assholes.

Other shows I'm trying to get through include Supernatural (any of the episodes with the Ghostfacers or the Trickster are awesome), Fringe (John Noble loving rules), and The Sopranos (currently stalled at the start of Season 4)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I don't know when Netflix got HD remastered versions of The X-Files. All I know is I literally made this face: :stare:

And then I started watching.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Just finished seasons 1 & 2 of The Newsroom. If this is how Sorkin writes when he's on coke, then I will back a loving dump truck of it up to his house and tell him to bring back West Wing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Binging through Elementary on Hulu. I love anything Sherlock Holmes, so I am enjoying every second. I don't even mind the procedural formula.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not just you, part of Scrubs and what it did so well was mixing really emotional drama in with the comedy bits. Most episodes were heavy on the comedy and light on the drama, but there's a few episodes...

Like "where do you think we are"

Just don't bother with the final season that didn't have JD in it, no matter what you do. Not that JD was the best part of scrubs (far from it) but they ditch so much of the show's format its unwatchable.

The Laverne death arc was pretty sad too. Of course they had to loving bring her back in Season 8 as "Shirley" though.

I want to rewatch it but I just lost my mom last month after a long battle with cancer and the idea of watching even fictional people die in a hospital on TV makes me physically ill.

richardfun posted:

Yeah, the few people saying PoI isn't fantastic are simply spreading wrong opinions.

Like saying pizza or hamburgers suck. You lot are just objectively wrong. :colbert:

This is objectively true. Watching Finch repeatedly own people who have no clue who he is or what he's capable of is amazing every time.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 3, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

To be. Or not. Not. Not to be. That..... IS the question!

PRICE
LINE
NEGOTIATOR!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I just started watching Man in the High Castle. Is it weird that I find it difficult to watch because the idea of an alternate history where the Nazis and Imperial Japan have conquered the United States makes me really uncomfortable? It's a good show so far, but the concept is just REALLY hard to swallow.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kragger99 posted:

Thanks to this thread, I've basked in the glory that is Mr. Robot, and Banshee.
Blew through Banshee in just under 2 weeks. Awesome ride.
Started watching Mr. Robot in August as it was being released weekly up in Canada, until I realized it was on in the spring on USA network (I think?).
Anyway, blew through the last few episodes.

Thinking of starting The Wire next. Heard it's a great series.

Anything else that falls into the Banshee/Ray Donovan type show that this thread can recommend?

Go watch Person of Interest. If you enjoy the "mysterious shadowy cleaner/black ops agent" type stuff this show is perfect for you.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 21, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I got through all 9 seasons of How I Met Your Mother.

What I was expecting was something like Everybody Loves Raymond, but what I got was Neil Patrick Harris stealing the goddamn show and being hilarious. It's one of the few sitcoms I've ever watched that didn't have a "down" period. The only character that ever is in danger of being unlikeable is Ted, but even then the other characters just make fun of him mercilessly for it and thus his deficiencies are funny all over again. The show itself seems to be almost self-aware of the characters' flaws, which keeps any of them from being truly boring or unlikeable.

I loved that they kept the Slap Bet bit not only funny, but going for all 9 loving seasons. Legen--wait for it!--dary. Legendary.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
How I Met Your Mother, again. I have a somewhat unnatural love for this show, even the relationship drama.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

KrayG posted:

My girlfriends been getting really into this show called Pretty Little Liars and its the most bullshit, low effort, trash TV show I've ever encountered, every single scene is just sombre piano music in the background while 2 characters speak about a 3rd character, nothing ever happens, there is nothing of substance, it's just mildly attractive people mostly saying trashy things about other people. Apparently they've milked this poo poo for 150 episodes. I realy don't get it.

It's on Freeform; it's basically the Dawson's Creek of the decade. Crappy production value, meant for teenage girls.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 17, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Pounding Supernatural right now because Misha Collins and Mark Sheppard are awesome and need their own spinoff. The CW teen drama bullshit between Dean and Sam is worth it just to see Castiel and Crowley hang out.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Impractical Jokers.

No one will ever be able to convince me that these guys are anything but uproariously funny, with the poo poo they do to one another.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah, the Good Place is outstanding. Everything is fine!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
About to start Mad Men. Anything I should know?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Thwomp posted:

As others have said, it takes a while to get really going. And it doesn’t help it’s case when nearly all of its main characters are awful people.

That said, it’s absolutely worth getting through the early parts as it builds up the characters and stories.

It doesn't help that Peggy and Helen are the only characters I don't already hate. Don Draper is despicable.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Nope, you're pretty much on course with everyone else. That fact that you don't kind of hate Peggy too is probably a good sign. Some people just don't like anyway at this stage.

I mean, I feel like in a show that's pretty much all about the toxic masculinity of the 1960s that I should sympathize with the women, but some of them--especially the steno pool at Sterling-Cooper--are so gossipy and judgmental that I find myself disliking them almost as much as I hate the greaseball ad execs.

All that aside, it's a really well-done show with great production value, and while Don Draper's a horrible person, Jon Hamm does a really excellent job.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah being gossipy is just as bad as being a raging sexist

I, uh, didn't say that, but you do you.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Currently binging Forged In Fire. Trashy reality TV it might be, but watching people make knives and medieval weapons is just really cool.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cheers is pretty great. Once you're done with that watch Frasier. It's even better and has aged like fine wine. There's a couple odd jokes here and there (especially the terrible Doctor Mary episodes), but for the most part it stands up very well.

I just finished Cheers and I can confirm that yes, it's pretty great. It is amusing to see what 80s TV writers thought passed for "scandalous" though. I guarantee you that a sitcom where there was a wedding or a proposal every other episode wouldn't survive one season now.

I transitioned straight into Frasier and watched the pilot last night. Am I going to hate David Hyde Pierce or am I going to get used to him?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
On Season 6 of Frasier and you guys were right. I love David Hyde Pierce so much. Niles is just a national treasure :allears:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Meatgrinder posted:

Just watched all of The Good Place season 3. It still has the quirky, upbeat quality of the first seasons but frankly I feel the writers didn't think they'd get this far, and have run out of material. The story is seriously padded with philosophy lessons and just seems to start to head in a certain direction and then give up on that two episodes later, over and over.

Someone didn't see the Time Knife :colbert:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Started Friday Night Lights. Anything I should know?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah season 2 has some unfortunate missteps but they do a reboot in season 3 that ignores 99% of it.

I don't know who I am supposed to root for, to be honest, except maybe Jason. Everyone else is a complete shitwad of a human being.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Just finished season 3 of Santa Clarita Diet. I'm hooked and I want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TMMadman posted:

It's on Hulu instead.

It really does have some good chemistry and characters going on in it. The whole sexual tension thing with Nile/Daphne is just really funny, Frasier is great at being sarcastic and biting without being an actual bad guy/rear end in a top hat, Daphne and her insane stories are also funny.

It's just a good quality 90s sitcom.

I have to agree. I think Frasier holds up better than Cheers--it's probably one of the better spinoff sitcoms in TV history.