Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think one of the stumbling blocks for Mad Men is the fact that it's one of the only smash-hit television dramas without any violence, especially among cable/paid networks like AMC/FX/HBO. It's still a excellent show, just trying to explain why many find it slow and boring at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
If you pretend Prison Break is a 1-season show, then you'll be really pleased and satisfied.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Just started watching Parks and Recreation. 5 episodes in, and it's pretty funny but Amy Poehler's character just seems like Michael from the Office turned up a notch in the stupidity/awkwardness. Mark sucks as a character too. Ron and Tom are my two favorites, the college intern is really funny too.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Mark is my least favorite character BY FAR. There's nothing funny or interesting about him.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The Shield's a show that hums along at a good pace for 4 seasons and then suddenly it explodes like a loving grenade for the rest of the series.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
How is The West Wing? I've always wanted to get into a cool drama about American politics, but it looked boring as hell to my 13-18 yr old eyes :(

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Holy crap, I'm like 16 episodes into Season 2 and would have never noticed the pit plot disappearing if it weren't for the above post. What an entertaining and funny show.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Just started binging through Community a few days ago. It was pretty funny until the chicken fingers/Goodfellas episode, then suddenly it hit another level and now I'm pretty hooked.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Just started watching Friday Night Lights. 11 episodes in, pretty hard to get through an episode with dry eyes mainly due to Jason Street's story

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
If you like those shows you should give Rome another shot, and check out Justified on FX.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I just finished season 3 of Friday Night Lights and it really sucks how awesome characters like Smash and Street are written out of the show. It's awesome that they got happy endings, and it's hard to keep them involved when they have graduated and all but they were great characters. Also, I'm pretty bummed about Coach Taylor getting ousted out of Dillon by McCoy, what the gently caress. To make it worse that rear end in a top hat looks just like Phil Dunphy from Modern Family :(

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I think you would really like Sherlock.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Just started on Season 4 of Friday Night Lights. A few minutes in and holy poo poo, Nnamdi Asomugha cameoing as a cop and Wallace from The Wire as a new character :munch:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Almost done with Season 4 of Friday Night Lights. I dunno how I feel about this season, I hate how so many awesome characters are phased out, but I guess that's gonna happen in a long-running show about a high school. I don't like how suddenly we get a villian in Joe McCoy, the first 2.5 seasons were gripping and dramatic as hell without a 'bad guy' so it seems a little forced to have this ultra-rich booster pop in (I know he moved to Dillon but still) and change the entire dynamic of the show. Same thing with Dillon now suddenly having a massive urban-housing project out of the blue? I really enjoy the race/poverty aspects of the show but it came from out of nowhere.

The angry speech Buddy Garrity gave at the McCoy's BBQ was AWESOME, though. I stood up and cheered when he went, "And I have one more thing to say...clear eyes, full hearts, CAN'T LOSE" and walked out.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Been watching The Pacific, it's alright. Band of Brothers is one of my favorite things on film so I thought I would love The Pacific but it's kind of a drag. I just finished Part 5 and I don't like any of the characters except for the Sergeant who burns himself on the machine gun and is now selling war bonds back in America. I loved every single character in Band of Brothers, every single one no matter how small their role was, so the drop off in The Pacific is kind of jarring. Is it just me?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
So is Suits actually a good show, or is it just a bunch of good looking well dressed people saying clever things to each other? I've wanted to check it out but USA original shows seem like such garbage.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I'm rewatching the Shield and while it's an incredible show, I never realized how much of Vic Mackey's dialogue is just crude one-liners. Stuff like "let's go show the 1-9ers who really runs these streets" and "I see you like hitting women, try me for a change" is like 80% of what he says.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
You bought HBO just for Girls?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I haven't started yet but am thinking of binging Brooklyn 99 season 1. Is it funny?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Binging through Party Down, it's really funny. Sucks that its so short.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
If I love Justified and Spartacus is Banshee the perfect show for me?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Weirdly enough Walking Tall is one of my favorite "it's on TBS so sit and watch it all" movies ever, I will be binging Banshee this weekend!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Unzip and Attack posted:

Throw 'Rome' in to that mix as well, if you've got any interest in historical fiction. Outstanding series with some really under-appreciated actors.

Atia and Antony are two of the best acted characters I've ever seen on TV!

Just got done watching the first 2 seasons of Banshee. This show is wild and I like it. I love Proctor as a villain, hard to think of any other multi-season villain in TV shows that I have seen but I love how pragmatic and normal he is for a bad guy. I also shouted really loud near the end of season 2 when a character gets hit by a car, what amazing special effects. Feels like this show is choreographed by the best action scene people in the business. So pumped to have another season to binge.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Just finished all 3 seasons of Banshee. The rest of TV is ruined for me now.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Rocksicles posted:

Welcome to our collective problem.

Justified is my favorite show airing, and the last 2 episodes of the series were basically ruined because of my Banshee binge. I wanted the characters in Justified to do more poo poo

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Senjuro posted:

Gonna start watching Banshee. In case I don't like it at first, how much do I need to watch to be sure if the show is for me or not?

You will be able to tell right away but I'd say give it until the MMA fighter comes to Banshee

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Just started Peaky Blinders. I didn't really like it at first but the scene where Thomas Shelby meets the cop from Jurassic Park was pretty badass and i will stick around for more.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Rocksicles posted:

Now watch Strike Back...

Everyone says this but Strike Back is much, much lamer than Banshee. Cool guns and hot girls but Banshee is actually a pretty good show whereas Strike Back is just a ton of live action Call of Duty cut scenes

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I watched Season 1 of Black Sails last year as it aired live. I thought it was good, but was still one of those shows where I played phone games while watching.

Binging through Season 2 after hearing that Ray Stevenson/TITUS PULLO is joining the cast in Season 3 as Blackbeard. Wow Season 2 is much better than 1, it feels like a whole new show.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Pellisworth posted:

Binged through The Shield, dunno why I hadn't gotten around to that sooner given I really enjoyed The Wire and Breaking Bad which are pretty similar shows, and I've lived in LA for the last six years. Great show the whole way through, it's more fast-paced and not as cerebral as The Wire but it's every bit as enjoyable if not more.

I'm trying to get into Spartacus but the terrible green-screen backgrounds and cheesy slow-mo blood spurts are not doing it for me in the slightest. Guess I'll stick through a few more episodes and see if it hooks me.

Stick with Spartacus please

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Just started watching 30 Rock after years of having a friend bug me to check it out. I'm about 8 episodes in and it is pretty funny, but I mainly just keep waiting for more Tracy Morgan. Do the other characters become funny?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Still binging 30 Rock when I have time, on Season 5 now. Still only find Tracy/Alec/Jenna funny but they are funny enough to make the rest of the lovely cast (esp that worthless bald middle manager, why is he a character?) funny

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I've been binging Columbo. Seen many episodes here and there before, but going through the entire series this time. 100% enjoyment

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

richardfun posted:

I saw a lot of it when I was a kid, but I honestly can't imagine myself enjoying it now. In my (admittedly hazy) recollection, every single episode ended with Colombo going 'just one more question...'.

yeah it's really formulaic. The villain over complicates their perfect murder and spends the rest of the episode arrogantly dismissing Colombo while he figures everything out but there's something about it that's so watchable.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Shadow posted:

Are there a lot? Columbo was basically James Bond right? Not so much episodes but a series of movies? Am I wrong? I feel wrong.

At the end of the show's run the seasons were like BBC's Sherlock where there were only a handful of episodes per season, with each episode going over an hour. So yeah they can feel like movies, especially since Columbo isn't introduced in each episode until like 15-25% in

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Mu Zeta posted:

Are there any shows that have more badass action than Strike Back/Spartacus/Banshee?

No other show has such high levels of action, but Justified has similar levels of badassness

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm on Ep 6 of Peaky Blinders and it's poo poo. Like a really poor wannabe Boardwalk Empire.

I've tried watching this 3 times, because all of my friends love it. It's a really lovely show, the main characters brothers are all terrible one-note characters, the mom is a Peggy Bundy from SOA knockoff, the only good part is the Jurassic Park constable

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
like, the angry older brother with the mustache in Peaky Blinders, all he does is loudly yell PEAKAY BLINDUHS every few scenes, that's his entire character. Sometimes he'll punch someone after yelling it

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yeah BoB is like the West Wing, GK is like Veep/House of Cards blend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I've been binging through It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and it's pretty funny. I started at the beginning from Season 1 and found it kinda low-rent and lovely, skipped ahead to mid-Season 2 and the jokes are much better. Just saw the two part "Gang steals cocaine from the mob" episode and was dying laughing